By Gene Phelps Daily Journal GULFPORT – Houston’s Denver McQuary knows a little something about intercepting passes. The Daily Journal’s Defensive Player of the Year, who intercepted a state-record 33 during his four seasons with the Hilltoppers, got his 34th in Saturday’s 67th annual Bernard Blackwell North/South All-Star Football Game at Milner Stadium. McQuary’s […]
Tag Archives | Hilltopper
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – If you want to beat the best you have to play the best. Ezra Blissard is doing just that, having recently competed in the Association of Tennis Professionals Futures event in Destin, Fla. Blissard, 17, of Houston High School was matched with Vinicio Hadlich, […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal STARKVILLE – He was the state’s most highly recruited football player and the No. 2 prospect in the nation in 2012 and in his third year at Mississippi State, Chris Jones wants this to be the season he and the Bulldogs once again take the national spotlight. Jones played […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Tony Cook doesn’t know everyone in Houston, but he does have Hilltopper roots. Houston’s next superintendent will take office in July and will bring his family to the town where he grew up. Cook graduated from Houston High School in 1982 and went on to graduate from […]
HOUSTON – Two former Houston Hilltopper football stars have used two years at Itawamba Community College to springboard them to the next level. Sharone Wright and Anfernee brand recently came home to Houston to ink their NCAA Letters of Intent and announce they will play at Mississippi College next year. “MC has a good program […]
HOUSTON – It’s a hard, rough game that requires protection and padding. The Houston Hilltopper football team held their first practice in pads Friday night as part of the annual Midnight Madness celebration that saw the team blocking and tackling under the lights at Topper Field. The community showed up to watch the team run […]
HOUSTON – As the tassel was moved so was a lifetime memory for 99 Houston High School graduates. Formal graduation ceremonies were brought to a close at Hilltopper Field Thursday, May 22 as graduates of the Class of 2104 moved the tassel on their caps across their face to signify they were now high school […]
HOUSTON – Alex Springer has been competing in pageants since she was a first grader, but winning the title of Miss Hilltopper Saturday night has thrilled this high school freshman. And to make the crown even more exciting, she won it on her birthday. “I was born and raised in Houston and I competed in […]
HOUSTON – “What is a Hilltopper?” Houston High School co-valedictorian Trey Franklin posed the question to guests at the May 23 graduation ceremony and offered some possible answers. Franklin said a Hilltopper is one who, when knocked down 99 times, will rise 100 times. He traced some of the local and national adversities faced by […]
By Avery Springer Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – In July of 2004, a group of sweaty, round-faced little girls stepped offf a softball field undefeated, proud and confident. We were World Series champions and a little cocky to say the least. I though we had conqured the world. Little did I know at […]
- Houlka streamlines police accounting May 18, 2016
- Rob Marion scholarship established May 22, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...