By Michaela Gibson Morris Daily Journal TUPELO – A second Mississippi resident who traveled to Haiti has tested positive for the Zika virus. The Mississippi State Department of Health on Friday confirmed a Noxubee County resident had become ill with the mosquito-borne virus. The first case was reported Thursday in a Madison County resident. University […]
Tag Archives | Health
Covering Chickasaw County puts me in touch with a lot of people each week and in meetings where a lot of information and data is presented. No medium is better suited to explain the details of budgets, trends and plain raw numbers than a newspaper. TV wants 30-seconds of pictures. Radio wants a five […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON – The Mississippi State Department of Health (MSDH) confirms the first rabies case in a land animal in Mississippi since 1961 in a feral cat in Starkville. Exposures to the rabid cat, described as a small, black and white kitten, were reported in downtown Starkville and in a remote […]
OKOLONA – Preparing for any emergency is never an easy task and trying to prepare for an unexpected disaster pushes the envelope even further. But over 40 representatives of local and area entities gathered Feb. 4 to try to do just that. The Chickasaw County Emergency Management office organized a tabletop exercise, facilitated by Todd […]
Chris Turner doesn’t sell insurance, he serves customers. Turner began his business in Houlka in 2007 but has been working in the field of insurance since 2000. “My great-grandfather actually opened an insurance company in his store in Houlka in 1905 selling insurance for Western Assurance out of Canada,” said Turner. “With a heritage […]
HOUSTON – Health insurance changed dramatically last week with the implementation of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and the City of Houston is looking into how it might benefit city workers. Houston Alderman at Large Barry Springer pointed out it might be advantageous for the city to supplement health insurance for city workers […]
Not many weeks ago, I fussed about the cold weather bothering my plants and how uncomfortable the cold was. I wished for warmer weather and some sunshine. I was not alone because I heard a number of people doing the same thing. We quickly got warmer weather and some sunshine. In fact we got some […]
HOULKA – Students at Houlka Attendance Center ran, jumped and played all in the name of good health and good fun May 20 as the staff hosted Olympic Day again this year. The annual field day in May has been revamped to include more than just games and helps children become more active on the […]
WEST POINT – Joanne Conerly Westbrook, 84, passed away Sunday, March 17, 2013, at North Mississippi Medical Center, in Tupelo. She was born March 4, 1929, in Monroe County to Ethel Adelaide Bush and Preston Johnston Conerly. She worked at Clay County Health Department and later with her husband at Westbrook Grocery Store. She was […]
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...