By Emily Wagster Pettus Associated Press JACKSON – A new proposal seeks a statewide election on removing the Confederate battle emblem from the Mississippi flag. But it could be years before the issue gets on the ballot, and there’s no guarantee voters would accept it. State officials said Friday that a resident of the capital […]
Tag Archives | Gunn
By Emma Crawford Daily Journal TUPELO – The current debate about Mississippi’s Confederate battle flag emblem echoes the state’s 2001 referendum to remove the symbol from its flag. The latest round began after Republican Mississippi House Speaker Philip Gunn called the emblem offensive and said it needs to be removed from the state flag. The […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – The 2015 session of the Mississippi Legislature, which starts Tuesday, will not be lacking for high-profile issues that could cause conflict and hard feelings this election year. Among the issues that could be contentious are: • A possible tax cut. • Additional funding for education. • […]
The Houston High School Basketball Booster Club will be hosting an old timers holiday basketball game on Dec. 26 at 4 p.m. Houston High School. Any former player (2010-and-beyond) interested in playing, should contact Rita Gunn at 662-542-0822 or Vernessa Gates at 456-6828.
OKOLONA – Aeria Gunn Whitley, 75, died Friday, March 21, 2014, at North Mississippi Medical Center. She was born Nov. 13, 1938, to Guss Gunn and Willie Lee Wise Gunn. She was a member of Zion Spring M.B. Church, where she was missionary president, and choir and kitchen committee member. She was noted for her […]
BRUCE – Gary D. Gann, 25, died Wednesday, Jan. 22, 2014, on Highway 32 W. He was born Jan. 30, 1988, in Grenada. He was a member of Sherman Baptist Church. He was a 2008 graduate of Bruce High School, and he received his associate degree from Northwest Mississippi Community College. Services will be at […]
OKOLONA – Anna Thelma Green Townsend, 84, died Thursday, Jan. 2, 2014, at the Aberdeen Care Center. She was born March 30, 1928, to Joe Green and Alice Word Green. She was a lifelong member of Zion Spring M.B. Church, where she was a Sunday school teacher and a choir member. She served in the […]
SOUTH BEND, Ind. – Dorletha Gunn Jenkins died Sunday, June 30, 2013, at her home. She was born July 17, 1952, in Okolona to Waddell and Isabella Gunn. She was raised by her grandparents, Ozee and Suzanna Gillespie. She graduated from Fannie Carter High School. She married George Edward Jenkins Sr. on Dec. 25, 1969. […]
- WEEK 7: High School Football Scores October 3, 2015
- Aberdeen embracing blues with annual Bukka White Blues Festival October 7, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Excellence in all things October 8, 2015
- Houlka teacher waives probable cause hearing October 8, 2015
- Volunteers spruce up Tanglefoot Trail October 8, 2015
- SONNY SCOTT: History as philosophy. Read it! October 10, 2015
- Former MSU great Goode dies at 76 October 9, 2015
- WEEK 8: High School Football Capsules October 9, 2015
- McClain invites friends to Troy October 9, 2015
- Signs of history October 9, 2015
- Gilbie Rivas: Hey ideas - I was enlightened by the info , Does a...
- George Edgar Worley: See Sparethekids.com and BeatingBlackKids.com for ...
- George Edgar Worley: WATCH Montel Williams on School Paddling of Studen...
- George Edgar Worley: #BlackLivesMatter ? #srebeducation Students to Sch...
- George Edgar Worley: WATCH Documentary Exposes the Brutally Violent TRU...