By Emma Crawford Daily Journal TUPELO – The current debate about Mississippi’s Confederate battle flag emblem echoes the state’s 2001 referendum to remove the symbol from its flag. The latest round began after Republican Mississippi House Speaker Philip Gunn called the emblem offensive and said it needs to be removed from the state flag. The […]
Tag Archives | Gunn
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – The 2015 session of the Mississippi Legislature, which starts Tuesday, will not be lacking for high-profile issues that could cause conflict and hard feelings this election year. Among the issues that could be contentious are: • A possible tax cut. • Additional funding for education. • […]
The Houston High School Basketball Booster Club will be hosting an old timers holiday basketball game on Dec. 26 at 4 p.m. Houston High School. Any former player (2010-and-beyond) interested in playing, should contact Rita Gunn at 662-542-0822 or Vernessa Gates at 456-6828.
OKOLONA – Aeria Gunn Whitley, 75, died Friday, March 21, 2014, at North Mississippi Medical Center. She was born Nov. 13, 1938, to Guss Gunn and Willie Lee Wise Gunn. She was a member of Zion Spring M.B. Church, where she was missionary president, and choir and kitchen committee member. She was noted for her […]
BRUCE – Gary D. Gann, 25, died Wednesday, Jan. 22, 2014, on Highway 32 W. He was born Jan. 30, 1988, in Grenada. He was a member of Sherman Baptist Church. He was a 2008 graduate of Bruce High School, and he received his associate degree from Northwest Mississippi Community College. Services will be at […]
OKOLONA – Anna Thelma Green Townsend, 84, died Thursday, Jan. 2, 2014, at the Aberdeen Care Center. She was born March 30, 1928, to Joe Green and Alice Word Green. She was a lifelong member of Zion Spring M.B. Church, where she was a Sunday school teacher and a choir member. She served in the […]
SOUTH BEND, Ind. – Dorletha Gunn Jenkins died Sunday, June 30, 2013, at her home. She was born July 17, 1952, in Okolona to Waddell and Isabella Gunn. She was raised by her grandparents, Ozee and Suzanna Gillespie. She graduated from Fannie Carter High School. She married George Edward Jenkins Sr. on Dec. 25, 1969. […]
- EDITORIAL: Collecting Fines July 23, 2015
- Houlka trustees Ok demolition, infrastructure details July 27, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: It’s time to consider your choices July 27, 2015
- ICC offering newNational Guard program July 27, 2015
- Summer details handled by Okolona trustees July 28, 2015
- Victoria Wofford awarded Yates Scholarship July 29, 2015
- Suspicious mailers sent before Primary Election July 29, 2015
- Houlka’s Hobson on rise July 29, 2015
- Area residents graduate ICC program July 28, 2015
- Area trio earns ICC scholarships July 28, 2015
- Jimmie Hardin: I for one cared that it was a week late. I live in...
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- Greg Schmidt: This is good news because this is one of the most ...
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...