ABERDEEN – A Moss Point man was sentenced to 10 years in jail after pleading guilty to a pair of firearms charges in federal court. Last month, Miles Lloyd Taylor, 31, entered guilty pleas on the charges of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and possession of a firearm in furtherance of drug […]
Tag Archives | Gun
HOUSTON – An early morning disturbance landed two men in jail Tuesday. Chickasaw County Sheriff Jimmy Simmons said a fight inside a home on Pittsboro Street near the Hwy. 15 bypass drew officers attention when a firearm came into play. “Two boys got into it and the third boy shot a gun to break it […]
OXFORD (AP) – One of the ex-prisoners who received a pardon from then-Gov. Haley Barbour has pleaded guilty to manslaughter after he killed another man in an exchange of gunfire. Calhoun County District Attorney Ben Creekmore says Wayne Thurman Harris of Slate Springs made the plea Monday in Oxford before special Circuit Judge Breland Hilburn. […]
TUPELO – Police still are looking for two suspects who robbed the McCullough Boulevard Dollar General at gunpoint Oct. 13. Police said two suspects, described as 5-feet, 10-inch black men entered the store around 9:50 p.m. with a semiautomatic weapon and fired into the store. They left with an undetermined amount of money. Anyone with […]
All of us have watched with interest the legal wranglings of the George Zimmerman trial and a little closer to home the latest filings of our very own Attorney General Jim Hood concerning Mississippi’s new open-carry law. As a hunter, reporter, husband, father and red-blooded American, I have to say I am a little concerned […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Attorney General Jim Hood says the ruling last week by a Hinds County circuit judge blocking the enactment of a law clarifying Mississippi as a state where people can openly carry a weapon doesn’t apply outside the judge’s Hinds County jurisdiction. “I do not believe that […]
HOUSTON – Help is always appreciated but aldermen want anyone working security at community events to be licensed and insured. The Houston Board of Aldermen were approached by Terrance Ford, of Str8 (straight), seeking to provide the city with security at public gatherings and community events to free-up police to continue patrols of city neighborhoods […]
HOUSTON – Attorney General Jim Hood has filed a petition requesting the Supreme Court of Mississippi to do away with a restraining order issued by the Hinds County Circuit Court regulating the carrying of weapons. The restraining order was filed late Friday and basically froze the enactment of the State’s new open carry law, known […]
HOUSTON – A man has been arrested for allegedly shooting a high-powered rifle into a mobile home and his case will be presented to the next term of the Chickasaw County grand jury. LaMichael Johnson, 20, of Mantee, has been charged by Houston police with aggravated assault after he allegedly discharged an SKS automatic rifle […]
God control, not gun control Dear Editor, As we enter the new year we can’t get Sandy Hook out of our mind and therefore there seems to be no way to distance ourselves from the old year. We simply wait for the next mass murder, each one wanting to out-do the others. Gun control isn’t […]
- Parks named to Tombigbee Water Management Board February 24, 2015
- Houlka smashes Smithville, falls to Coffeeville February 27, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: Quality of life February 27, 2015
- Agri-Center shaping up February 27, 2015
- GOP federal prosecutor to challenge Hood for AG February 27, 2015
- Another winter storm may await March 3, 2015
- Chickasaw United Way allocates dollars March 3, 2015
- Moore to attend Clinton Global Initiative March 2, 2015
- UPDATE: Four hurt, two dead in Calhoun County wreck March 2, 2015
- Lenten Luncheon continues this week March 2, 2015
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...