By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – People will not need to obtain a permit to carry a firearm in a purse, briefcase or luggage under legislation signed into law Friday by Gov. Phil Bryant. Under current Mississippi law and constitutional provisions, a person needs a permit to carry a concealed gun. A […]
Tag Archives | Gun
ABERDEEN – A Moss Point man was sentenced to 10 years in jail after pleading guilty to a pair of firearms charges in federal court. Last month, Miles Lloyd Taylor, 31, entered guilty pleas on the charges of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and possession of a firearm in furtherance of drug […]
HOUSTON – An early morning disturbance landed two men in jail Tuesday. Chickasaw County Sheriff Jimmy Simmons said a fight inside a home on Pittsboro Street near the Hwy. 15 bypass drew officers attention when a firearm came into play. “Two boys got into it and the third boy shot a gun to break it […]
OXFORD (AP) – One of the ex-prisoners who received a pardon from then-Gov. Haley Barbour has pleaded guilty to manslaughter after he killed another man in an exchange of gunfire. Calhoun County District Attorney Ben Creekmore says Wayne Thurman Harris of Slate Springs made the plea Monday in Oxford before special Circuit Judge Breland Hilburn. […]
TUPELO – Police still are looking for two suspects who robbed the McCullough Boulevard Dollar General at gunpoint Oct. 13. Police said two suspects, described as 5-feet, 10-inch black men entered the store around 9:50 p.m. with a semiautomatic weapon and fired into the store. They left with an undetermined amount of money. Anyone with […]
All of us have watched with interest the legal wranglings of the George Zimmerman trial and a little closer to home the latest filings of our very own Attorney General Jim Hood concerning Mississippi’s new open-carry law. As a hunter, reporter, husband, father and red-blooded American, I have to say I am a little concerned […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Attorney General Jim Hood says the ruling last week by a Hinds County circuit judge blocking the enactment of a law clarifying Mississippi as a state where people can openly carry a weapon doesn’t apply outside the judge’s Hinds County jurisdiction. “I do not believe that […]
HOUSTON – Help is always appreciated but aldermen want anyone working security at community events to be licensed and insured. The Houston Board of Aldermen were approached by Terrance Ford, of Str8 (straight), seeking to provide the city with security at public gatherings and community events to free-up police to continue patrols of city neighborhoods […]
HOUSTON – Attorney General Jim Hood has filed a petition requesting the Supreme Court of Mississippi to do away with a restraining order issued by the Hinds County Circuit Court regulating the carrying of weapons. The restraining order was filed late Friday and basically froze the enactment of the State’s new open carry law, known […]
HOUSTON – A man has been arrested for allegedly shooting a high-powered rifle into a mobile home and his case will be presented to the next term of the Chickasaw County grand jury. LaMichael Johnson, 20, of Mantee, has been charged by Houston police with aggravated assault after he allegedly discharged an SKS automatic rifle […]
God control, not gun control Dear Editor, As we enter the new year we can’t get Sandy Hook out of our mind and therefore there seems to be no way to distance ourselves from the old year. We simply wait for the next mass murder, each one wanting to out-do the others. Gun control isn’t […]
- WEDDING: Booth/Schlicht July 26, 2015
- County will keep inmates for free July 30, 2015
- Run right! Go long! July 30, 2015
- Woman charged with trying to sell her baby July 30, 2015
- Ole Miss begins season No. 15 in coaches poll July 30, 2015
- School immunization required August 2, 2015
- 2015-16 Back to School Supply lists for Houlka, Houston, Okolona August 2, 2015
- PERS retirees must stay vigilant August 2, 2015
- Mayors takes issue with column August 1, 2015
- Wake up America, move forward August 1, 2015
- Jimmie Hardin: I for one cared that it was a week late. I live in...
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- Greg Schmidt: This is good news because this is one of the most ...
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...