By Rod Guajardo Daily Journal TUPELO – Two candidates – a Democrat and a Republican – are advancing to a June 2 runoff election in the race for Mississippi’s 1st District Congressional seat. Howard Zinn and Trent Kelly were the two front runners in Tuesday’s special election to fill the seat left vacated following the […]
Tag Archives | government
TUPELO – The government shutdown didn’t stop people from flocking to the Natchez Trace Parkway in 2013. More than 6.01 million people used and visited the Natchez Trace last year, up from the 5.56 million visitors in 2012. This made the Natchez Trace Parkway the eighth most visited National Park Service site. When the non-recreational […]
OKOLONA – Preparing for any emergency is never an easy task and trying to prepare for an unexpected disaster pushes the envelope even further. But over 40 representatives of local and area entities gathered Feb. 4 to try to do just that. The Chickasaw County Emergency Management office organized a tabletop exercise, facilitated by Todd […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – When a teenage girl and guy find out they are pregnant, they need help. Pregnant teens need lots of support, including social, medical, emotional and academic support. And it comes from family, school, church and the government. The statistics and stories published by the Chickasaw Journal over the past three weeks repeatedly […]
BOONEVILLE – Northeast Mississippi Community College’s Student Government Association (SGA) recently completed its student council for the 2013-14 academic year during campus wide elections in September. After electing the core of the Student Government Association in the spring with Tishomingo’s Katelin Wallace, Belmont’s Wesley Brandon and Bruce’s Lexi Burt comprising the roles of president, vice-president […]
Last week I encouraged you to watch the weather for last Saturday and Sunday for some chilly weather based on the Old Farmers Almanac’s prediction for frost Oct. 19. Ann is now bringing in some potted plants while I am assuring her it is not going to frost on this date. The good thing about […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY — They raised their right hands and many placed their hands on a Bible as they solemnly swore to uphold the ordinances, laws and liberties of their cities, their state and their nation. Municipal officials were officially sworn in last week in Houston, Okolona, Woodland and Houlka and can now get about the […]
Pull your weight, work for entitlement Dear Editor, The long dreaded automatic spending cuts of the sequester have now taken effect. Yet the sky did not fall despite the ominous warnings of Chicken Little and company. In realty these very modest reductions in government spending are all our elected officials have done to actually […]
HOUSTON – Bonnie Sappington stamped her last stamp Thursday as a postman. Sappington retired after 33 years with the U.S. Postal Service, having worked the windows at both Houston and Houlka most of her career. “I’ve always liked working the window,” said Sappington. “You meet people and help them with postage to get a letter […]
- Florida largemouth bass stocked into Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway lakes June 24, 2015
- First National Bank changes name to First Choice Bank June 27, 2015
- TERRI TURNER: 2015 Woman Of The Year June 28, 2015
- JAMES MEYERS: 2015 Man Of The Year June 28, 2015
- TWO TOOTS: 2015 Business Of The Year June 28, 2015
- Houston, Okolona airport improvements funded July 1, 2015
- Local talent attends ICC camp June 30, 2015
- United Way seeks support for backpacks June 30, 2015
- GED offered at WIN, Excel June 29, 2015
- Chickasaw jobless rate plummets June 29, 2015
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- Greg Schmidt: This is good news because this is one of the most ...
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- Tg007.net: if you want the town to grow stop taxing the busin...