“It was the third of June, another sleepy, dusty Delta day…” That is the wonderful opening line to one of the best-selling and best tunes of the 1960s, Bobbie Gentry’s hauntingly beautiful “Ode to Billie Joe.” Outwardly the song is a mystery about the nature of a relationship between a young girl and a boy […]
Tag Archives | Gentry
Mr. and Mrs. Richard Craig Cherry of Mooreville are pleased to announce the engagement of their daughter Lauren Elizabeth, to Robert Russell Dendy, son of Mr. and Mrs. Jack Ray Dendy of Houston, Miss. Miss Cherry is the granddaughter of Mrs. Gwendolyn Gentry and the late Paul Gentry of Marietta, Miss., and Mrs. Janis Cherry […]
HOUSTON – The community’s giant Independence Day celebration is just over a month away and the entertainment has been finalized. Houston Homecoming is set for June 28 on the Square in downtown Houston and a wide variety of musical talent has been lined up to entertain the crowd. “At any community event, it’s the music […]
HOUSTON – September 30 came and went this year and, well, like the song goes, it was just “another sleepy, dusty Delta day.” But in 1967 more than 2,000 people jammed the Square in downtown Houston to catch a glimpse of country music star Bobbie Gentry as the community honored the Chickasaw County native with […]
- Snag it November 19, 2015
- WEDDING: Rushing / King November 22, 2015
- Houlka Trustees address leave, texting policy November 23, 2015
- Parents reminded that school attendance is mandatory November 24, 2015
- Okolona urges parents to keep kids in school November 24, 2015
- Houlka races past Hilltoppers November 26, 2015
- Topper season finale November 26, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: A reason to be thankful November 26, 2015
- County upgrades fingerprint machine November 26, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Shop local November 26, 2015
- Harvey Birdman, Esq.: You're going to rely on 90's era litigation in o...
- Firebug2006: "What will be law here, is an impossibly, deliber...
- Harvey Birdman, Esq.: The petition suggests a phase-in period, but the p...
- Nancy Young: Thank you for your lifelong support of public educ...
- DENICE ANNA CONEY: Just what I was looking for. That helped me a lot....