By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – A vehicle to develop and pay for a plan to address the state’s and local governments’ infrastructure needs is alive in the legislative process. But at this point all that vehicle – or bill – does is keep all the code sections alive, including all taxing […]
Tag Archives | gasoline
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – The Senate Transportation Committee is scheduled to vote this morning on a proposal that would increase the tax on motor fuel about 12 cents per gallon (at today’s prices) to fund road and bridge repairs throughout the state. Senate Transportation Chairman Willie Simmons, D-Cleveland, presented […]
By Jeff Amy Associated Press JACKSON – Mississippi’s 2016 legislative session may be halfway over, but debate has yet to really begin on three of the biggest issues. Although some officials have staked out positions on raising more money for roads and bridges, rewriting the state’s K-12 funding formula or cutting taxes, no real proposals […]
Covering Chickasaw County puts me in touch with a lot of people each week and in meetings where a lot of information and data is presented. No medium is better suited to explain the details of budgets, trends and plain raw numbers than a newspaper. TV wants 30-seconds of pictures. Radio wants a five […]
Do you like making a dollar? That’s a question every American can truthfully answer without one bit of guilt or shame. This country and this community was founded by capitalist who spotted an opportunity, put the wheels in motion and carried the proceeds from their labor to the bank. That opportunity comes to Houston this […]
HOUSTON – Firefighters pulled two people unconscious from a local business after they were knocked out by apparent carbon monoxide poisoning from a gasoline powered buffer. “In my 20 years of firefighting, I’ve never seen anything like this,” said Capt. Jonathan Blankenship, of the Houston Fire Department. “We have trained for this and recognized it […]
Do you like making a dollar? That’s a question every American can truthfully answer without one bit of guilt or shame. This country and this community was founded by capitalist who spotted an opportunity, put the wheels in motion and carried the proceeds from their labor to the bank. That opportunity come to Houston this […]
OKOLONA – The Civil War sweeps through Chickasaw County next week as re-enactors gather at Prairie Mound to dig into history and maybe dig up a little treasure. Event organizers have been making plans for this re-enactment for more than a year and have gotten the community and the site ready for what they hope […]
Grand opening and ribbon cutting ceremonies were held Saturday, Jan. 4, for Okolona’s newest business, Lillie’s Quick Stop, located on Church Street north of the Okolona Vocational Complex. The business, owned by Kelvin Stanfield, is open Monday through Friday from 5 a.m. to 10 p.m., Saturday from 5 a.m. to midnight and Sunday from […]
This is the time of year when we take a look back at 2013 and at the same time look forward to 2014. It’s a bittersweet time of year. There have been weddings and funerals, cars bought and trucks crashed, profits and losses, good times and sad times. I try not to dwell too much […]
Some customers drive 20 miles to shop at Mounce Grocery and Johnny Mounce does all he can to keep them coming back. “When you have customers like that, you do all you can for them,” said Mounce. “I’ve always said we want to treat you so good you feel guilty going somewhere else.” So what […]
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings April 25, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- NFL DRAFT: Tunsil falls to Miami in coach pay scandal, Jones misses 1st Round April 29, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...