HOUSTON – Firefighters pulled two people unconscious from a local business after they were knocked out by apparent carbon monoxide poisoning from a gasoline powered buffer. “In my 20 years of firefighting, I’ve never seen anything like this,” said Capt. Jonathan Blankenship, of the Houston Fire Department. “We have trained for this and recognized it […]
Tag Archives | Firefighter
HOULKA – When firefighters typically gather in bunch there is usually a fire and Saturday’s community event in downtown Houlka was no different. “We are good at putting out fire and here we are trying to start one,” said Houlka Fire Chief Terry Short. “We are cooking hamburgers, hotdogs and we’ve got all the trimmings. […]
JACKSON – Firefighter Richard L. Nichols of the Houston Fire Department graduated Feb. 20 from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1001 Firefighter course held at the Mississippi State Fire Academy in Jackson. This intense six week course included classroom and practical instruction in the areas of fire behavior, fire suppression, rescue, incident command, hazardous […]
HOUSTON – The Houston Fire Department averages about 475 calls a year and has answered 417 calls as of Tuesday, with two months left to go. Houston firefighters responded to three major call this week with two of those runs being fire calls and a third a motor vehicle accident. The department also responded to […]
The Tanglefoot Trail opens in mid August and communities up and down trail are planning a party. You are invited. I don’t think Houston or Houlka or even most of Chickasaw County realizes what the Tanglefoot Trail will do for us. Tanglefoot Trail has an estimated economic impact of as much as $4.8 million for […]
Williams stays active in community for the right reasons Editor’s Note: This is the second in a series of four articles of women making a difference in our community. HOUSTON – “People don’t volunteer anymore just because it’s the right thing to do,” said Jennifer Williams of Houston. But for Williams, volunteering is just part […]
OKOLONA — Serving his community is Joseph Henson’s goal as Okolona’s newest firefighter. Henson, an Okolona native, has taken a part-time post with the Okolona Fire Department after finishing his training at the Mississippi Fire Academy in February. “I have been a volunteer firefighter and then I served a couple of tours in the Army,” […]
- County opens bids for AgriCenter roof September 16, 2014
- WEEK 5: High school football scores September 20, 2014
- BILLY MCCORD: As I see it September 20, 2014
- MSMS to host info meeting in Oxford September 20, 2014
- Mississippi aims to apply for federal preschool grant September 20, 2014
- Cassandra Pulliam appointed Circuit Clerk September 23, 2014
- LETTER TO EDITOR: Zora Cousin September 22, 2014
- Houston gets grant for fire loop September 22, 2014
- Shempert/Norwood September 21, 2014
- Making their special day, extra special September 21, 2014
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- Carol Mac: I went to the Tupelo run, and I have some advice f...
- Candace R.: If that isn't nepotism, what is??? The solution ...
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...