CHICKASAW COUNTY – The local job market held steady as Chickasaw County continued to notch double-digit unemployment in May which is traditionally a strong hiring month in agriculture. Chickasaw County had a 10.3 unemployment rate in May with the state average being 8.0 and the national average being 6.1. Northeast Mississippi posted one of the […]
Tag Archives | Employment
CHICKASAW COUNTY – Mississippi’s employers added 5,000 people to their payrolls in April, breaking four months of declines. Chickasaw County notched a 10.3 percent unemployment rate and down from an 11.4 jobless rate in March. The county showed a labor force of 7,180 with 6,400 people holding jobs or 740 workers officially unemployed. The drop […]
Daily Journal Northeast Mississippi’s unemployment rate was 8.4 percent in January, up from December’s 7.6 percent rate. But the figure isn’t a cause for alarm. Despite the increase, the rate was almost two percentage points lower than a year earlier. And January’s rate marked the fourth-lowest unemployment rate for the region since 2008. The numbers […]
HOUSTON – After suffering through double-digit unemployment most of the year, Chickasaw County’s jobless rate dropped to 9.9 percent last month The trend was part what local businessmen and employers feel is a warming of the economy and a need to add jobs as orders and production increases. Northeast Mississippi’s annual unemployment rate dropped […]
HOUSTON — There are lot of needs this Christmas and most of them can be filled when a person has a job. The WIN Job Center hosted a Christmas Open House recently to show local leaders and the public what it can offer 12 months out of the year to help someone find the right […]
HOUSTON – Houston is a nice, quiet, safe little town and city leaders want to keep it that way. The Houston Board of Aldermen has voted to advertise for a new police officer and hopes to have that person hired this summer. “Hiring police officers is one of the most important things we do,” said […]
I was fortunate to attend the State of the Region meeting Friday in Tupelo and listen to the latest trends and topics being discussed around Northeast Mississippi. Jobs, education and leadership were the issues of the day as the best and brightest from 17 counties gathered at the BancorpSouth Conference Center to solve the regions […]
The Itawamba Community College Workforce Development and Training Division is offering two computer classes at the Houston WIN Job Center. They include Introduction to Word Processing (Windows 7 and Microsoft Word 2010) and Beginning Keyboarding/Typing. Introduction to Word Processing includes introduction to Windows 7, creating folders, saving files, using a flash drive, setting margins and […]
- City changes procedures for Parks & Rec cash receipts September 15, 2014
- BETTY ATKINSON: Honoring the U.S. Constitution September 19, 2014
- MDWFP BRIEFS: Weapon changes for deer hunters September 20, 2014
- WEEK 5: High school football scores September 20, 2014
- BILLY MCCORD: As I see it September 20, 2014
- LETTER TO EDITOR: Zora Cousin September 22, 2014
- Houston gets grant for fire loop September 22, 2014
- Shempert/Norwood September 21, 2014
- Making their special day, extra special September 21, 2014
- Pontotoc liquor vote tied with five ballots out September 20, 2014
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- Carol Mac: I went to the Tupelo run, and I have some advice f...
- Candace R.: If that isn't nepotism, what is??? The solution ...
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...