HOUSTON – The days of the uninsured going to an emergency room anywhere in the United States and then walking out and letting someone else pick up the tab are drawing to a close. And Trace Regional Hospital is changing with the times as it looks at the possibility of closing its emergency room and […]
Tag Archives | Emergency
CHICKASAW COUNTY – There are more storm shelters around here than just about any county in Northeast Mississippi, but recent bad weather has proved the community needs more. Local storm shelters were packed April 11 when two fast-moving storms raced across Chickasaw County with the first one moving on to slam Tupelo, causing millions of […]
OKOLONA – Preparing for any emergency is never an easy task and trying to prepare for an unexpected disaster pushes the envelope even further. But over 40 representatives of local and area entities gathered Feb. 4 to try to do just that. The Chickasaw County Emergency Management office organized a tabletop exercise, facilitated by Todd […]
HOUSTON —With Winter Storm Warnings posted for parts of Mississippi, Attorney General Jim Hood is reminding residents and business owners of the legalities concerning price gouging during a state of emergency. The law says that “the value received for all goods and services sold within the designated emergency impact area shall not exceed the prices […]
HOUSTON – The Girl Scout motto is “Be Prepared” and the slogan is “Do a good turn daily!” and both were practiced Thursday night at the Houston Fire Department. Girl Scouts from troops 20101, 20347, 23125 and 23131 fed local firefighters hamburgers with all the fixings, iced tea and dessert to show their appreciation […]
HOUSTON – The City of Houston is seeking to renegotiate its contract with the county to handle dispatching for the city police and fire services. Chickasaw County and Houston negotiated a contract in 2010 that handed city dispatching duties over to the county’s 911 operations center for an annual fee of $100,000. Houston is the […]
HATTIESBURG – The Army National Guard has to be ready at a moment’s notice to handle emergency situations of various types and annual training is one way they keep their skills honed. The 288th Sapper Company, based in Houston, just completed a two-week training session at Camp Shelby in Hattiesburg and Capt. Seth Davidson said […]
HOUSTON – There are lots of potential disasters but only so many emergency preparedness dollars. The Chickasaw County Emergency Management Agency has joined with state and local emergency preparedness organizations to develop a regional hazard mitigation plan and they want local communities to help them set priorities. “There are only so many state and federal […]
HOUSTON – When you see the men in the yellow suits, it’s not normally a good day. But May 20 will be a good day for the Houston Fire Department and the Chickasaw County Emergency Management Agency to host a hazardous material drill on Harrington Street. “We wanted to inform the public ahead of time […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – When bad weather threatens, it is too late for county personnel and emergency agencies to plan what they are going to do. Chickasaw County communication workers, law enforcement, fire departments and emergency management agencies came together last week for a series of drills to test their response to an emergency. “Everybody […]
- City Clerk resumes reviewed August 18, 2014
- Color For A Cause seeks runners August 20, 2014
- Mobile Vet Center coming to Houston August 21, 2014
- EDITORIAL: Eyes and ears August 21, 2014
- INGRAM: Paying the price at the pump August 21, 2014
- SCOTT: Let’s clean up our own back yard first August 23, 2014
- Houston duo named Showcase MVPs August 23, 2014
- Color For A Cause is Saturday August 22, 2014
- CUNNINGHAM: Developing Common Core standards August 22, 2014
- Okolona school bond vote is Tuesday August 22, 2014
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- Carol Mac: I went to the Tupelo run, and I have some advice f...
- Candace R.: If that isn't nepotism, what is??? The solution ...
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...
- Pat Southerland: It is interesting to see that Mrs. Dendy is resign...