By Crystel Ellison Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Students at Houston Lower Elementary School performed for their peers, demonstrating and reinforcing lessons about the body’s sensory and skeletal systems. The integrated science, library and physical education teachers worked together to instruct kindergarten students about their five senses and to teach first and second […]
Tag Archives | Ellison
HOUSTON — Schools get grades, too. Houston Upper Elementary School recently was recognized as a Champion of Change by the Mississippi Department of Education for going from a D to a B in state testing scores. ”This means a lot of each of us at this school,” said Linda Heair, a fifth grade teacher at […]
HOUSTON – The gifts ranged from $100 bills and Ipods to snowcones and an extra recess, but the real reward was a smile and the satisfaction of a job well done. Houston Upper Elementary School and the PACE Foundation presented awards to more than 350 students Thursday for high achievement on last year’s MCT2 (Mississippi […]
HOUSTON — Upperclassmen at Houston schools were presented with certificates and honors at Awards Night at the Houston Auditorium Tuesday, May 21. The evening saw local businesses, civic organizations, colleges and families hand out scholarships and accolades to hundreds of students. “The best way I can describe this class is fantastic,” said Houston High School […]
HOUSTON – Students at Houston High School gained some extra instructional materials thanks to a grant from Discover Card. Patricia Ellison applied for the grant in January but didn’t hear anything and assumed it went elsewhere. She was informed recently that the school did receive the funding of over $14,000 for materials to include books, […]
HOUSTON – The Parent Teacher Organization at Houston Upper Elementary School made a significant donation to the school recently. The PTO donated $7,000 to help place Smartboards in each classroom to assist teachers and students. PTO President Edie Myatt said the group was happy to assist in the project. “We used Great American fundraising,” Myatt […]
HOUSTON – They are undefeated over the past 11-years in a high-tech field filled with teams that are better funded and come from much larger communities. The Houston Solar Car team was presented to the Mississippi Senate Thursday and after a brief presentation explaining their vehicle and their accomplishments was given a standing ovation by […]
HOUSTON – A positive approach to discipline creates a positive learning environment and gives students a positive outlook on life. The Houston Upper Elementary School implemented PBIS (Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support) last year and has been named a model school by program authors at the state level. “The goal is to prevent behavior problems […]
Principals give Houston Trustees school updates HOUSTON – The Houston School Board received a mid-year update on where each school in the district is on reaching goals and teaching students this school year. Principals from the district’s five schools set goals at the beginning of the school year in an effort to bring […]
- No appeal yet in Ausbern case April 10, 2014
- Kayden Harris April 15, 2014
- George Tutor April 15, 2014
- Police to enforce curfew April 15, 2014
- Alvie Griggs April 15, 2014
- Three dead in shooting at United Furniture in Nettleton April 16, 2014
- Paying it forward April 16, 2014
- Israel Harper April 16, 2014
- Run ‘em down and walk off! April 16, 2014
- Civil War author to speak at Museum April 16, 2014
- help: They treat their employees like they are slaves wo...
- William: This is best content site Deer archery....
- Marathon set for Tanglefoot Trail | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Trail opening was top story for 2013 [...
- Tickets issued for dogs in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Robertson speaks to Okolona Aldermen [...
- DOCKET: Circuit Court in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Circuit Court verdicts imposed in Okolon...