HOUSTON – The City of Houston moved one step closer to purchasing a local warehouse with the hope to keep jobs in town and to market the building to other industry. The Houston Board of Aldermen have met several times since early December to hammer out a deal to purchase the Jackson Manufacturing building for [...]
Tag Archives | Economic Development
HOUSTON – They call it The Square. There are many towns in Northeast Mississippi built on a square but few rival the beauty and visionary design of Houston. “Houston’s downtown was laid out by our founder, Mr. (Joel) Pinson, who was also a surveyor,” said Joyce East, executive director of Historic Hometown Houston. “The square [...]
HOUSTON – Chickasaw County’s jobless rate climbed to 13.4 percent in January and is now one of the highest in Northeast Mississippi. Surrounding counties also saw higher unemployment rates as ag-related businesses and farms experience the winter slowdown that idles many who work in fields and forest the rest of the year. Chickasaw’s jobless rate [...]
HOUSTON – Up to 80 percent of the new jobs created in any community come from existing industry and the city is selling industrial park property to help a local business expand. The Houston Board of Aldermen voted last week to sell 12-acres in the industrial park on Robinson Road west of town to Quality [...]
HOUSTON – The recent spell of warmer, sunny weather has prompted a number of local contractors to hammer, pour concrete and twist pipe. While part of the increase can be seen as businesses back on the job after the holiday break, some of it may be an indication of homeowners beginning to plan and seek [...]
This February, Excel in Okolona, in partnership with local businesses and industries, will offer Jobs Junction, an educational and training program. The program is focused on assisting unemployed and underemployed individuals develop marketable workplace skills, especially for positions in industry and retail businesses in Okolona. The five-week course will be held three times a year [...]
Tanglefoot Trail has reached its southern terminal, but work on the project is not finished. The leveling and grading is complete with the trail bed ready for crews to start laying asphalt as soon as weather and new year allow. “They have laid the limestone and gotten the surface ready for the asphalt which is [...]
Tanglefoot Trail has made it to Houston. A story on Page One of today’s Chickasaw Journal points out the 44-mile trail from Houston to New Albany has been graded and is awaiting the asphalt topping that will finalize the first phase of this historic project. The concept for Tanglefoot Trail was developed years ago by [...]
- SCORES: Saturday, May 19, 2013 May 19, 2013
- Cherry Word May 22, 2013
- HMS band awards May 22, 2013
- CARA CHISOLM: Remember with honor May 23, 2013
- Vardaman’s Wilson, Calhoun City’s Evans named to state boards May 23, 2013
- Earlie Terry May 25, 2013
- Betsy Reedy May 25, 2013
- Federal sentences continue in cocaine scheme May 25, 2013
- Virginia Chrestman May 24, 2013
- Billy S. Davis May 24, 2013
- Brenda Summers: R.I.P. my brother, JL Wofford, he was a beautiful ...
- Jeanette Marsh: What is the scheduled date of opening. There have...
- air jordan 2 u: Thanks so much for the post.Thanks Again. Really G...
- William Brownlee: To Whom this may concerns, My name is William Bro...
- C Jackman: Sorry for the loss of your loved one. May the Alm...