As downtowns in many small communities slowly dry up, we want to encourage people to look at our downtown area and recognize how fortunate Houston is. The Courthouse Square was designed and built before all of us were born. The idea was to put a grand structure in the center of town that would be […]
Tag Archives | downtown
I’m not from Houston, but I got here as quick as I could. One of the first events my family and I attended when we moved to Houston three years ago was Homecoming 2010. It was loads of fun and sparked a love for this community that continues to grow. Pizza, pickles, popcorn and snowcones […]
HOUSTON – Hometown vendors are being sought for Homecoming set for Saturday, June 29 on the Square in downtown Houston. Local churches, civic clubs and non-profit groups are being urged to get a booth and use the annual event as an opportunity to raise funds for their organization. “We have been careful through the years […]
HOUSTON – The play a major role in city services, but most residents never see them or give them a second thought. Houston has embarked on a downtown water improvement project that will see new water valves and selected water mains replaced. “Those pipes are incredibly old in some places and we have tired for […]
Okolona is accustomed to seeing it’s downtown change over the years. The city was burned – twice – during the Civil War. It’s stately three-story Masonic Lodge was constructed after a massive fire in the 1900s that destroyed the center of town. It suffered an exodus of businesses and stores during the 1970s and 80s […]
HOUSTON – They call it The Square. There are many towns in Northeast Mississippi built on a square but few rival the beauty and visionary design of Houston. “Houston’s downtown was laid out by our founder, Mr. (Joel) Pinson, who was also a surveyor,” said Joyce East, executive director of Historic Hometown Houston. “The square […]
HOUSTON – Jo Cross stopped to get a Chickasaw Journal newspaper and spotted smoke coming from the roof of Aaron’s Cleaner. “I ran across the street to the fire department and they were gone on a call,” said Cross. “That’s when I called 911.” Firefighters returning from a medical run north of town turned […]
HOUSTON – More than two-dozen people packed the board room at City Hall to hear the pros and cons of downtown Houston being listed on the National Historic Register. Bill Gatlin, of the Mississippi Department of Archives and History, said there is a lot of mis-information about being named to the National Historic Register and […]
HOUSTON – Snowflakes in the trees on The Square downtown and along Jackson and Madison Street have helped proclaim Christmas in Houston for years. Houston Aldermen were told last week that time and the elements have taken their toll and it’s either time for new lights or an extensive rework of the bulbs and wiring […]
HOUSTON/VARDAMAN – The last round of local Christmas parades took place last week as Houston and Vardaman both rescheduled their events due to weather. The Civitan club in Houston sponsored the annual parade for the first time this year and invited soldiers from the 288th Sapper unit of the National Guard to attend as Grand […]
- FSA disaster applications available March 4, 2014
- Virginia Dopson March 6, 2014
- Player of the Week March 6, 2014
- Man convicted of killing cyclist dies in prison March 6, 2014
- The sports cycle March 6, 2014
- Lottie Perry March 10, 2014
- In the bleachers March 10, 2014
- Circuit Court verdict rendered in Okolona March 10, 2014
- Big Bass! March 8, 2014
- Spring forward! March 8, 2014
- Marathon set for Tanglefoot Trail | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Trail opening was top story for 2013 [...
- Tickets issued for dogs in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Robertson speaks to Okolona Aldermen [...
- DOCKET: Circuit Court in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Circuit Court verdicts imposed in Okolon...
- WEDDING: Earnest/Morgan | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] E.J. Earnest […]...
- 60th ANNIVERSARY: Rad & Betty Clark | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Ralph Coggins […]...