Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON – The Mississippi State Department of Health (MSDH) confirms the first rabies case in a land animal in Mississippi since 1961 in a feral cat in Starkville. Exposures to the rabid cat, described as a small, black and white kitten, were reported in downtown Starkville and in a remote […]
Tag Archives | Dog
HOUSTON – It’s spring and a rash of puppies and kitty cats has city hall urging residents to be responsible pet owners and obey city ordinances. Houston has a leash law that requires dogs to be kept in a pen or on a leash. And while the city does not have a formal dog catcher, […]
HOUSTON – Drug dogs searched Houston High School last week and found no drugs inside the building, but a sweep of the parking lot saw dogs signal on several cars and a small amount of marijuana found in a couple of vehicles. The owners of the vehicles were contacted and the interior of the vehicles […]
The drug dogs were back in Houston schools last week.# And while we regret that the noses of those highly trained canines found a small amount of marijuana in the parking lot, we are pleased to report they did not find anything inside the school. Past drug sweeps have turned up weapons and more sizable […]
HOUSTON – Austin Marshall has always planned to live life to the fullest and now he has a little help. Marshall, a Houston native and senior at Mississippi State University, was raised as a normal child but his blindness presented challenges as he moved about this world. “My parents raised me as a sighted child […]
We have a new dog at our house. She was found at First Baptist Church Sunday morning. She’s a husky/Irish setter/spaniel/collie/German shepherd/pitbull/terrier/golden retriever mix according to the canine experts at FBC. She looks like a long-haired, yellow dog to me. I’m used to turning down the boys’ request for pets. Tarantulas, iguanas, birds, white mice, […]
HOULKA – Residents of Houlka have had their cats killed, their garbage spilled and they are concerned about the safety of their children. The Houlka Board of Aldemen were approached by several city residents wanting city leaders to address the issue. “We’ve got dogs that run up and down our street and a pack of […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – The children and staff at BabySteps, Inc., in Okolona have been spending this summer expanding their horizons through reading. The summer reading theme is “Great Books for Great Children,” and the group started off the first week of June reading “Whistle for Willie.” The book introduces a little […]
Look inside this week’s edition of the Chickasaw Journal for our annual Cutest Pet contest to benefit the Newspapers in Education program. Seven adorable pets were entered into this year’s contest and voting is open from Wednesday, July 3 through July 12. Votes cost 25-cents each. To vote for your favorite pet entry, stop by […]
- TEE IT UP: Week 1 High School Football Capsules August 21, 2015
- Houlka ponders water system changes August 24, 2015
- Season of new beginnings August 24, 2015
- Monroe County deputy shot following traffic stop August 24, 2015
- Sweet potato field day will be held Aug. 27 August 25, 2015
- UPDATE: Suspect in custody in MSU gun scare August 27, 2015
- Potential + Effort = Success August 26, 2015
- Reward offered in Monroe County deputy shooting case August 26, 2015
- ICC names 2015 Spring graduates August 26, 2015
- Alabama man indicted in fatal Trace wreck August 25, 2015
- Randy Wanat: Change "Christianity" to "Islam" and suddenly ...
- TRSmith: What happens to students who reside in the distric...
- Beth: The only way to protect ourselves and our benefits...
- Jimmie Hardin: I for one cared that it was a week late. I live in...
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...