HOUSTON – Putting someone in charge of administrative duties at the Houston Fire Department may prompt the city to name a fire chief for the Houston Fire Department. The Houston Volunteer Fire Department has a fire chief, but the six full-time city firefighters do not and in a work session last week the Houston Board […]
Tag Archives | Department
HOUSTON – A woman who allegedly abandoned a child for the second time has been formally served and arrested by the Houston Police Department on one charge each of child abuse and child abandonment. Cora Lynn Watkins, 25, was taken into custody at the Regional Three Mental Health building Thursday afternoon. She was booked into […]
HOULKA – When firefighters typically gather in bunch there is usually a fire and Saturday’s community event in downtown Houlka was no different. “We are good at putting out fire and here we are trying to start one,” said Houlka Fire Chief Terry Short. “We are cooking hamburgers, hotdogs and we’ve got all the trimmings. […]
A matter of priority Dear Editor, On Sunday morning, January 19, 2014, the main transformer for the electrical line between my house and my son’s house blew. We each tried contacting the after-hours telephone number for the Okolona City Electrical Department. We were unable to reach anyone. We then tried the Okolona Police Department […]
By Errol Castens Daily Journal NEW ALBANY – A 40,000-gallon tank of fuel exploded at the JNS Biodiesel plant just north of New Albany early Wednesday morning, rattling homes and sending a fireball hundreds of feet into the air, followed by a tornado-like column of smoke that could be seen for miles. No one was […]
Houston is asking to renegotiate its 911 contract with Chickasaw County, as well it should. Houston is the only municipality in the county that is paying to support this vital communication service to everyone who pays a phone bill. And Houston taxpayers are supporting the county’s 911 system to the tune of $100,000 a year. […]
HOUSTON – Steve Duncan was so glad to be at Thursday’s Houston Volunteer Fire Department Annual Awards Banquet. Duncan, 44, passed out at his father’s shop on Okolona Cutoff on Nov. 7 and the Houston Fire Department and local EMTs revived him and transported him to Trace Regional Hospital. He was later taken to Northeast […]
The Commission on Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks has approved dates for the 2013-14 dove season. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service provides a window of dates from which states may select specific season dates. The 2013-14 dove season will be similar to previous seasons with a few minor changes. Once again, Mississippi hunters will enjoy […]
HOUSTON – When you see the men in the yellow suits, it’s not normally a good day. But May 20 will be a good day for the Houston Fire Department and the Chickasaw County Emergency Management Agency to host a hazardous material drill on Harrington Street. “We wanted to inform the public ahead of time […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Stanley and Sue Ard of Houston are pleased to announce the marriage of their daughter, Brittany Lee, to Chad Ellis Brown, son of John Brown III of Hamilton, Miss., and Rhonda Lawson of New Albany. Brittany is the granddaughter of the late Loyd and Mary Lee Eaton of Houston and […]
HOUSTON – Preliminary autopsy reports and other evidence has been returned to local law enforcement concerning the death of Ray “Shorty” Bevill at his home east of town over the weekend. The state crime lab has finished their initial investigation and has said Bevill died from multiple stab wounds and that he suffered defensive type […]
OKOLONA — Serving his community is Joseph Henson’s goal as Okolona’s newest firefighter. Henson, an Okolona native, has taken a part-time post with the Okolona Fire Department after finishing his training at the Mississippi Fire Academy in February. “I have been a volunteer firefighter and then I served a couple of tours in the Army,” […]
- Summer details handled by Okolona trustees July 28, 2015
- County elections are Tuesday, Aug. 4 July 31, 2015
- Two charged in Calhoun County death July 31, 2015
- Man arrested following assault with knife July 31, 2015
- Houlka aldermen updated on water, sewer issues July 31, 2015
- Back to School Calendar! August 3, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: A hot political summer August 3, 2015
- School immunization required August 2, 2015
- 2015-16 Back to School Supply lists for Houlka, Houston, Okolona August 2, 2015
- PERS retirees must stay vigilant August 2, 2015
- Jimmie Hardin: I for one cared that it was a week late. I live in...
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- Greg Schmidt: This is good news because this is one of the most ...
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...