HOULKA – Gerald Young plowed mules as a boy. That’s why he loves tractors so much. “My daddy bought a tractor in 1964 and it changed my life,” said Young. “Tractors didn’t make farming fun, but they sure make it a lot easier.” Young was one of more than a dozen antique tractor enthusiasist who […]
Tag Archives | Davis Lake
Two big community events took place this weekend in Chickasaw County. Okolona hosted the Battle of Okolona on the 150th Anniversary of this historic Civil War engagement. The Houston Community Theatre hosted “Hello, Dolly,” the ninth production for this local acting troupe. Both events drew people to their respective communities and both events showed we […]
HOUSTON – Grabbing that leisure dollar is easy if the tourist are coming to town, but the secret is to make them want to come and then be ready to serve them when they get here. Michael Jones, of the Mississippi Development Authority tourism division, met with more than a dozen CDF members and local […]
DAVIS LAKE – It wasn’t all about catching fish, but it was all about having fun. The annual Kid’s Fishing Rodeo was held at Davis Lake Saturday morning with kids taking part in a casting contest, eating hotdogs and of course getting to fish. “I love catching fish,” said eight-year-old Maddox Clouse, who was fishing […]
HOUSTON – It’s time for kids of all ages to throw a line in the water and see what comes up. The annual Kid’s Fishing Rodeo is back and set for this Saturday at Davis Lake east of Houlka. The event is open to children ages 4-17 at no charge as an opportunity to try […]
By Kevin Tate Special to the Journal DAVIS LAKE — When Jeff Foster set the hook on his only strike of the day last Friday, he had no idea the biggest bass of his lifetime was at the other end of the line. “It felt like I’d hooked the bottom of the lake and pulled […]
- MSU confers degrees July 16, 2014
- VanCleave celebrates 105th birthday July 19, 2014
- Williams graduates USAF basic training July 20, 2014
- REV. DARRICK WHITFIELD: Praising God is what I do July 20, 2014
- Letter RAY GARRETT July 20, 2014
- Natchez Trace has $139M impact July 22, 2014
- Houston man arrested for rustling July 22, 2014
- MDOT changes weight limits on county bridges July 22, 2014
- Taking their game on the road July 22, 2014
- Aldermen mull vendor permits July 22, 2014
- Pat Southerland: It is interesting to see that Mrs. Dendy is resign...
- Michael Mcalpin: So glad to have this service back locally....
- Pat Burgess: Congratulations to Jim for the award and for all t...
- Chip Ingram: My son Daniel was given a Bobbie Gentry album by ...
- Pam Dendy: I have that first album. My Daddy bought it for me...