D AVIS LAKE – People become volunteer firefighters because they want to help, but a volunteer that becomes a victim in a water rescue is no help at all. Chickasaw County volunteer firefighters gathered at Davis Lake recently for a morning of classroom training and an afternoon on the water trying out rescue techniques. “Six […]
Tag Archives | Davis Lake
HOULKA – Gerald Young plowed mules as a boy. That’s why he loves tractors so much. “My daddy bought a tractor in 1964 and it changed my life,” said Young. “Tractors didn’t make farming fun, but they sure make it a lot easier.” Young was one of more than a dozen antique tractor enthusiasist who […]
Two big community events took place this weekend in Chickasaw County. Okolona hosted the Battle of Okolona on the 150th Anniversary of this historic Civil War engagement. The Houston Community Theatre hosted “Hello, Dolly,” the ninth production for this local acting troupe. Both events drew people to their respective communities and both events showed we […]
HOUSTON – Grabbing that leisure dollar is easy if the tourist are coming to town, but the secret is to make them want to come and then be ready to serve them when they get here. Michael Jones, of the Mississippi Development Authority tourism division, met with more than a dozen CDF members and local […]
DAVIS LAKE – It wasn’t all about catching fish, but it was all about having fun. The annual Kid’s Fishing Rodeo was held at Davis Lake Saturday morning with kids taking part in a casting contest, eating hotdogs and of course getting to fish. “I love catching fish,” said eight-year-old Maddox Clouse, who was fishing […]
HOUSTON – It’s time for kids of all ages to throw a line in the water and see what comes up. The annual Kid’s Fishing Rodeo is back and set for this Saturday at Davis Lake east of Houlka. The event is open to children ages 4-17 at no charge as an opportunity to try […]
By Kevin Tate Special to the Journal DAVIS LAKE — When Jeff Foster set the hook on his only strike of the day last Friday, he had no idea the biggest bass of his lifetime was at the other end of the line. “It felt like I’d hooked the bottom of the lake and pulled […]
- EDITORIAL: Emergency Service September 11, 2014
- BILLY McCORD: As I see it September 14, 2014
- City changes procedures for Parks & Rec cash receipts September 15, 2014
- Rebels on road to open SEC hoops September 15, 2014
- County opens bids for AgriCenter roof September 16, 2014
- Okolona falls hard, 25-24 September 18, 2014
- Lady Hilltoppers pounds Calhoun City September 18, 2014
- FLOYD INGRAM: How about a little change September 18, 2014
- Houston running game rolls September 18, 2014
- ER closes, clinic opens at Trace September 18, 2014
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- Carol Mac: I went to the Tupelo run, and I have some advice f...
- Candace R.: If that isn't nepotism, what is??? The solution ...
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...