Everybody is for progress, but no one wants to change. That mindset is just as true in New York City and Washington D.C., as it is in Chickasaw County. Things in this world don’t change unless someone gets out of their comfort zone and goes about the hard work of making a difference in the […]
Tag Archives | Davis Lake
HOUSTON – Repairs to the Davis Lake Bridge is the top work project for Chickasaw County this fall but the bids for the work have come in over budget. Chickasaw County Supervisors opened bids last week at their meeting at the Chickasaw County Courthouse in Houston but the low bid of $357,962.88 was $82,362.88 over […]
D AVIS LAKE – People become volunteer firefighters because they want to help, but a volunteer that becomes a victim in a water rescue is no help at all. Chickasaw County volunteer firefighters gathered at Davis Lake recently for a morning of classroom training and an afternoon on the water trying out rescue techniques. “Six […]
HOULKA – Gerald Young plowed mules as a boy. That’s why he loves tractors so much. “My daddy bought a tractor in 1964 and it changed my life,” said Young. “Tractors didn’t make farming fun, but they sure make it a lot easier.” Young was one of more than a dozen antique tractor enthusiasist who […]
Two big community events took place this weekend in Chickasaw County. Okolona hosted the Battle of Okolona on the 150th Anniversary of this historic Civil War engagement. The Houston Community Theatre hosted “Hello, Dolly,” the ninth production for this local acting troupe. Both events drew people to their respective communities and both events showed we […]
HOUSTON – Grabbing that leisure dollar is easy if the tourist are coming to town, but the secret is to make them want to come and then be ready to serve them when they get here. Michael Jones, of the Mississippi Development Authority tourism division, met with more than a dozen CDF members and local […]
DAVIS LAKE – It wasn’t all about catching fish, but it was all about having fun. The annual Kid’s Fishing Rodeo was held at Davis Lake Saturday morning with kids taking part in a casting contest, eating hotdogs and of course getting to fish. “I love catching fish,” said eight-year-old Maddox Clouse, who was fishing […]
HOUSTON – It’s time for kids of all ages to throw a line in the water and see what comes up. The annual Kid’s Fishing Rodeo is back and set for this Saturday at Davis Lake east of Houlka. The event is open to children ages 4-17 at no charge as an opportunity to try […]
By Kevin Tate Special to the Journal DAVIS LAKE — When Jeff Foster set the hook on his only strike of the day last Friday, he had no idea the biggest bass of his lifetime was at the other end of the line. “It felt like I’d hooked the bottom of the lake and pulled […]
- MSU class crafts image for Chickasaw farm January 21, 2015
- Do legislators really know better than voters? January 24, 2015
- Deputies raid underage party in Mooreville, adult charged January 24, 2015
- Mr. Houston January 25, 2015
- ICC names fall graduates January 25, 2015
- NEMCC students nominated to Who’s Who. January 27, 2015
- Arrested party host identified January 27, 2015
- United needs to fill 300 jobs – quickly January 27, 2015
- Battle of Okolona re-enactment set January 27, 2015
- Comer is chairman of ICC Trustees January 26, 2015
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...