The Chuquatonchee Chapter of the DAR has awarded two student its top honor for academics in American history and character at Houston High School. Madison Mitchell and Liza Boyer, 11th graders at Houston High were presented their certificates and medals by Betty Atkinson, American History Chairman of the Chuquatonchee Chapter of the DAR, recently and […]
Tag Archives | DAR
HOUSTON – The Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) are ladies who have a direct ancestor who was a part of the American Revolution in its quest for independence. The emphasis for this national organization is patriotism, God and country. There have been chapters founded in Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, […]
CALHOUN CITY – Gwendolyn Killingsworth Shipp, 86, died Tuesday, April 15, 2014, at Calhoun Health Service Nursing Home in Calhoun City. She was born Nov. 10, 1927, in Greenville to A.K. Killingsworth and Octa Culp Killingsworth. She was a homemaker and a member of Lewis Memorial United Methodist Church. She was a charter member of […]
OKOLONA – There is a big world out there and Sherrill Clark has seen much of it. Clark is a former U.S. Foreign Service Ambassador’s Assistant and she was the guest speaker last week for the Chuquatonchee Chapter of the DAR in Okolona. She told the group some of her stories and showed them artifacts […]
The Chuquatonchee Chapter of the DAR has awarded Kristen Marsh its top honor for her grades in American history at Houston High School. Marsh earned the chapter’s Outstanding Work in American History Award with a 98.4 grade in the subject. “She has worked hard to earn that grade and we wanted to recognize this accomplishment,” […]
WEST POINT – Carolyn Justice Cooper, 95, passed away on Thursday, Feb. 13, 2014, at North Mississippi Medical Center in West Point. She was born on July 3, 1918, to the late Grace Evans and Charles Richard Justice in Houston. She was a graduate of MUW, a member of First United Methodist Church, United Methodist […]
COLUMBUS – Marietta Ward McCarter passed away Monday, July 29, 2013, in Columbus. She was born Aug. 22, 1917, in Houston to Rufus Alexander Ward Sr. and Mary Etta Huffman Ward. In 1921, she moved to Columbus with her family. In 1942, she married Robert Bruce “Bill” McCarter. They were married 65 years until his […]
WEST POINT – Joanne Conerly Westbrook, 84, passed away Sunday, March 17, 2013, at North Mississippi Medical Center, in Tupelo. She was born March 4, 1929, in Monroe County to Ethel Adelaide Bush and Preston Johnston Conerly. She worked at Clay County Health Department and later with her husband at Westbrook Grocery Store. She was […]
HOUSTON — The Chuquatonchee Chapter of the DAR has awarded Cameron Byrne, its top honor for her grades in history at Houston High School. Byrne earned the chapter’s Outstanding Work in American History Award with a 98.7 grade in the class. “We are always so proud to recognize those students who excel in history,” said […]
- MDWFP museum summer camp registration now open March 25, 2015
- DANIEL GARDNER: We’d best pay attention March 28, 2015
- Yokohama Mississippi nearing completion March 28, 2015
- One dead in crash south of Okolona March 28, 2015
- First Turkey March 28, 2015
- Coggins to lead Lenten Luncheon March 31, 2015
- Houston plans for farmer’s market March 31, 2015
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Help us “Save a Child” March 30, 2015
- Circuit Court term opened Monday March 30, 2015
- BIRTH: Emmitt Verell Wright March 29, 2015
- Tg007.net: if you want the town to grow stop taxing the busin...
- i’m engaged, you can be too | architecture | equality: […] the design and related impacts of a new...
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...