The Chuquatonchee Chapter of the DAR has awarded two student its top honor for academics in American history and character at Houston High School. Madison Mitchell and Liza Boyer, 11th graders at Houston High were presented their certificates and medals by Betty Atkinson, American History Chairman of the Chuquatonchee Chapter of the DAR, recently and […]
Tag Archives | DAR
HOUSTON – The Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) are ladies who have a direct ancestor who was a part of the American Revolution in its quest for independence. The emphasis for this national organization is patriotism, God and country. There have been chapters founded in Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, […]
CALHOUN CITY – Gwendolyn Killingsworth Shipp, 86, died Tuesday, April 15, 2014, at Calhoun Health Service Nursing Home in Calhoun City. She was born Nov. 10, 1927, in Greenville to A.K. Killingsworth and Octa Culp Killingsworth. She was a homemaker and a member of Lewis Memorial United Methodist Church. She was a charter member of […]
OKOLONA – There is a big world out there and Sherrill Clark has seen much of it. Clark is a former U.S. Foreign Service Ambassador’s Assistant and she was the guest speaker last week for the Chuquatonchee Chapter of the DAR in Okolona. She told the group some of her stories and showed them artifacts […]
The Chuquatonchee Chapter of the DAR has awarded Kristen Marsh its top honor for her grades in American history at Houston High School. Marsh earned the chapter’s Outstanding Work in American History Award with a 98.4 grade in the subject. “She has worked hard to earn that grade and we wanted to recognize this accomplishment,” […]
WEST POINT – Carolyn Justice Cooper, 95, passed away on Thursday, Feb. 13, 2014, at North Mississippi Medical Center in West Point. She was born on July 3, 1918, to the late Grace Evans and Charles Richard Justice in Houston. She was a graduate of MUW, a member of First United Methodist Church, United Methodist […]
COLUMBUS – Marietta Ward McCarter passed away Monday, July 29, 2013, in Columbus. She was born Aug. 22, 1917, in Houston to Rufus Alexander Ward Sr. and Mary Etta Huffman Ward. In 1921, she moved to Columbus with her family. In 1942, she married Robert Bruce “Bill” McCarter. They were married 65 years until his […]
WEST POINT – Joanne Conerly Westbrook, 84, passed away Sunday, March 17, 2013, at North Mississippi Medical Center, in Tupelo. She was born March 4, 1929, in Monroe County to Ethel Adelaide Bush and Preston Johnston Conerly. She worked at Clay County Health Department and later with her husband at Westbrook Grocery Store. She was […]
HOUSTON — The Chuquatonchee Chapter of the DAR has awarded Cameron Byrne, its top honor for her grades in history at Houston High School. Byrne earned the chapter’s Outstanding Work in American History Award with a 98.7 grade in the class. “We are always so proud to recognize those students who excel in history,” said […]
- DANIEL GARDNER: Love and Hate July 22, 2015
- Area students earn ICC scholarships July 26, 2015
- Houlka trustees Ok demolition, infrastructure details July 27, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: It’s time to consider your choices July 27, 2015
- ICC offering newNational Guard program July 27, 2015
- Suspicious mailers sent before Primary Election July 29, 2015
- Houlka’s Hobson on rise July 29, 2015
- Area residents graduate ICC program July 28, 2015
- Area trio earns ICC scholarships July 28, 2015
- Fusion Furniture expanding in Ecru July 28, 2015
- Jimmie Hardin: I for one cared that it was a week late. I live in...
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- Greg Schmidt: This is good news because this is one of the most ...
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...