Let’s try a thought experiment. Let’s imagine a group of people who endured hundreds of years of social upheaval: war, dispossession, impressments into the service of foreign armies, transport to strange and hostile climes where they were forced into service of a class of people inimical to their interests and prejudicial toward them as a […]
Tag Archives | culture
I’ve always been told it takes 60 days from the time you plant a tomato to the time you can start harvesting fruit. If you do the math that means those of you that planted the end of April should be serving bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches this week. Yes, I know some of you […]
TUPELO – The government shutdown didn’t stop people from flocking to the Natchez Trace Parkway in 2013. More than 6.01 million people used and visited the Natchez Trace last year, up from the 5.56 million visitors in 2012. This made the Natchez Trace Parkway the eighth most visited National Park Service site. When the non-recreational […]
We have a new dog at our house. She was found at First Baptist Church Sunday morning. She’s a husky/Irish setter/spaniel/collie/German shepherd/pitbull/terrier/golden retriever mix according to the canine experts at FBC. She looks like a long-haired, yellow dog to me. I’m used to turning down the boys’ request for pets. Tarantulas, iguanas, birds, white mice, […]
I turned the corner Friday morning on the way to work and spotted the Golden Eagle on top of the Courthouse Square. It was just a break in the trees and the sun at the perfect angle to give me a new view of something that I had seen dozens of times. But it was […]
Sara and I celebrated our Silver Wedding Anniversary on Tuesday. That may not seem like much to the Golden Anniversary crowd but we are sort of proud of our 25-year mark. We went out to eat and there was a gift. Marriage and age have changed us, but she is still the most special human […]
- Snag it November 19, 2015
- Welcome home! November 22, 2015
- WEDDING: Rushing / King November 22, 2015
- Houlka Trustees address leave, texting policy November 23, 2015
- Parents reminded that school attendance is mandatory November 24, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: A reason to be thankful November 26, 2015
- County upgrades fingerprint machine November 26, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Shop local November 26, 2015
- FBI to investigate incident at Ole Miss game November 25, 2015
- Mennonite conference bringing influx of visitors to downtown Tupelo November 25, 2015
- Harvey Birdman, Esq.: You're going to rely on 90's era litigation in o...
- Firebug2006: "What will be law here, is an impossibly, deliber...
- Harvey Birdman, Esq.: The petition suggests a phase-in period, but the p...
- Nancy Young: Thank you for your lifelong support of public educ...
- DENICE ANNA CONEY: Just what I was looking for. That helped me a lot....