Let’s try a thought experiment. Let’s imagine a group of people who endured hundreds of years of social upheaval: war, dispossession, impressments into the service of foreign armies, transport to strange and hostile climes where they were forced into service of a class of people inimical to their interests and prejudicial toward them as a […]
Tag Archives | culture
I’ve always been told it takes 60 days from the time you plant a tomato to the time you can start harvesting fruit. If you do the math that means those of you that planted the end of April should be serving bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches this week. Yes, I know some of you […]
TUPELO – The government shutdown didn’t stop people from flocking to the Natchez Trace Parkway in 2013. More than 6.01 million people used and visited the Natchez Trace last year, up from the 5.56 million visitors in 2012. This made the Natchez Trace Parkway the eighth most visited National Park Service site. When the non-recreational […]
We have a new dog at our house. She was found at First Baptist Church Sunday morning. She’s a husky/Irish setter/spaniel/collie/German shepherd/pitbull/terrier/golden retriever mix according to the canine experts at FBC. She looks like a long-haired, yellow dog to me. I’m used to turning down the boys’ request for pets. Tarantulas, iguanas, birds, white mice, […]
I turned the corner Friday morning on the way to work and spotted the Golden Eagle on top of the Courthouse Square. It was just a break in the trees and the sun at the perfect angle to give me a new view of something that I had seen dozens of times. But it was […]
Sara and I celebrated our Silver Wedding Anniversary on Tuesday. That may not seem like much to the Golden Anniversary crowd but we are sort of proud of our 25-year mark. We went out to eat and there was a gift. Marriage and age have changed us, but she is still the most special human […]
- Houlka eyes old fines as revenue July 24, 2015
- Fusion Furniture expanding in Ecru July 28, 2015
- Area trio earns ICC scholarships July 28, 2015
- Area residents graduate ICC program July 28, 2015
- Houlka’s Hobson on rise July 29, 2015
- County elections are Tuesday, Aug. 4 July 31, 2015
- Ole Miss begins season No. 15 in coaches poll July 30, 2015
- Woman charged with trying to sell her baby July 30, 2015
- Run right! Go long! July 30, 2015
- County will keep inmates for free July 30, 2015
- Jimmie Hardin: I for one cared that it was a week late. I live in...
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- Greg Schmidt: This is good news because this is one of the most ...
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...