Many are jumping on the bandwagon of removing the Confederate Battle Flag from public because it represents “hate, ignorance, bigotry, racism, is offensive, and serves no purpose in today’s America regardless of what it may have represented way back when.” Please be careful if you believe you have a lock on “what it may have […]
Tag Archives | Cross
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Memorial Day will be a little more solemn this year as organizers move the annual event to the morning when things are a little quieter. Memorial Day ceremonies in Houston will be held at 10 a.m. Monday on the east side of the Chickasaw County Courthouse where […]
By Michaela Gibson Morris Daily Journal HOULKA – Frankie Cross of Houlka is part of the 54-year legacy of Regional Rehabilitation Center in Tupelo. “I don’t know where we would be today if not for Regional Rehab,” said his mom Jo Cross. The center helped Frankie and his mom work with the effects of cerebral […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Will Porter plead guilty to murder and was sentenced to life in Chickasaw County Circuit Court on the last day of the March term. The case stems from the death of Amanda Porter, 23, who was found stabbed at her home in Houston in January 2013. Porter, 29, […]
HOULKA – Hundreds will be fed Thanksgiving and hundreds of gifts will be sold for Christmas at two closely linked events in Houlka this holiday season. The Houlka Community Thanksgiving will see more than 500 meals prepared for needy families, the elderly, county inmates and law enforcement officers on Thanksgiving Day. This will be backed […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – In a county that is divided by three school districts and multiple athletic teams, one factor joins the students of all three together. Spreading the message of Jesus Christ Houston, Houlka and Okolona schools all have chapters of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and their members and sponsors agree the message of […]
The Chickasaw County 4-H Clubs are heading up a community service project called, “Fall Fun and Games Day,” which will be held Oct. 25 at the Chickasaw County Agri-Center in Houston. This day is held for special needs students attending the Houston School District and Chickasaw County School in Houlka. We are now including the […]
During my tenure here at the Chickasaw Journal, I’ve had the opportunity to meet some interesting people and attend some really cool events. I’ve even said, more than once, “That was the coolest thing I’ve ever seen.” But this time – it really is. Last week, students from Houston, Houlka and Okolona carried a cross […]
PONTOTOC – Myrtice Gail Cross, 62, died Thursday, April 18, 2013, at North Mississippi Medical Center Hospice. She was a loving mother and grandmother and a beautiful person who cared for everyone. She will be greatly missed by many. Services will be at 2 p.m. Saturday at Tutor Memorial Funeral Home in Pontotoc. Bro. Glen […]
HOUSTON – Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of the Lenten season in the Christian liturgical calendar and a community gathering begins the following week. Lenten lunches will be held at noon each Wednesday leading up to Holy Week at Houston First United Methodist Church Family Life Center. A different speaker from area churches will deliver […]
- Donations made to 500 Okolona students September 30, 2015
- WEDDING: Byrne / Blissard October 4, 2015
- WEDDING: Adams / Gregory October 4, 2015
- Dixieland still going strong October 5, 2015
- MADE IN CHICKASAW COUNTY: Industry Listing October 5, 2015
- Aberdeen embracing blues with annual Bukka White Blues Festival October 7, 2015
- Houston ranked 3rd in State 4A October 7, 2015
- Proposal would erase Confederate sign from Mississippi flag October 7, 2015
- Man shot in arm by 17-year-old girl October 7, 2015
- State, federal duck stamps available online October 7, 2015
- Gilbie Rivas: Hey ideas - I was enlightened by the info , Does a...
- George Edgar Worley: See Sparethekids.com and BeatingBlackKids.com for ...
- George Edgar Worley: WATCH Montel Williams on School Paddling of Studen...
- George Edgar Worley: #BlackLivesMatter ? #srebeducation Students to Sch...
- George Edgar Worley: WATCH Documentary Exposes the Brutally Violent TRU...