HOUSTON – An Okolona police officer has been detained by the Mississippi Highway Patrol prompting a probable cause hearing on Feb. 4 to decide if formal charges are merited. Cpl. Criss Turnipseed, spokesman for the Mississippi Highway Patrol said Okolona Police Department investigator Romona Robertson was detained by Trooper James Burrow on Friday, Dec. 7. […]
Tag Archives | crime
by JB Clark NEMS Daily Journal/Associated Press SLATE SPRINGS — A man pardoned by then-Gov. Haley Barbour is accused of shooting another man Thursday night in Calhoun County. Calhoun County Sheriff Greg Pollan reports that an argument at a cookout about 8:30 p.m. Thursday is believed to have led to Wayne Therman Harris of Slate […]
CALHOUN COUNTY – One man is dead and another is in a Northeast Mississippi hospital following a gunfight in rural Calhoun County Thursday night with one of the shooters pardoned by former Gov. Haley Barbour last year. Calhoun County Sheriff Greg Pollan said officers were called to scene about 3-1/2 miles south of Slate Springs […]
HOUSTON – Vandals have once again broken toilets at bathrooms at Joe Brigance Park prompting the city to put locks on the door until they can be fixed. Vandalism is a problem in all small towns, but the Houston Board of Aldermen are concerned with the amount of damage being done at the park and […]
HOUSTON – Drug cases took up just almost a third of the 89 cases brought before Chickasaw County Circuit Court last month. December’s term saw 19 cases disposed of, with verdicts handed down in 14 of those cases, three retired to the files, one dismissed and one not guilty. The docket saw 24 drug-related cases […]
VARDAMAN – Two men are in the Calhoun County Jail facing robbery charges after they allegedly beat and robbed an elderly man Sunday night. Vardaman Police Chief Kenny Scott said two Jackson residents had come to Vardaman to work and became acquainted with their victim, but apparently turned on him and robbed him of two […]
In this Thursday, Dec. 6, 2012 photo Mississippi Attorney General Jim Hood, a Chickasaw County native, addresses the families and friends of victims of violent crimes during an annual tree-lighting ceremony at the Walter Sillers Building on High Street in Jackson, Miss. During the ceremony, loved ones added ornaments to the tree in memory of […]
HOUSTON – This is a season of gifts and giving but there are some who want to take and steal. The Christmas holiday season usually sees an increase in crime as homes fill with gifts and crooks start looking for easy targets to fill out their own Christmas list. “We just urge people to be […]
ABERDEEN – Melvin Enoch Livingston, 20, of Smithville was arrested by Monroe County Sheriff Office on Nov. 27. Livingston is charged with felony malicious mischief. Bond has not been set at this time. Livingston is currently being held at Monroe County Detention Center.
ABERDEEN – William Wade Aycock IV, 29, of Aberdeen was arrested by Monroe County Sheriff Office on Nov. 26. Aycock is charged with two counts of B & E of a Dwelling. The incident occurred this past weekend at a residence on Clara Drive in Monroe County.
- Parks named to Tombigbee Water Management Board February 24, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: Quality of life February 27, 2015
- Agri-Center shaping up February 27, 2015
- GOP federal prosecutor to challenge Hood for AG February 27, 2015
- DANIEL GARDNER: God given rights February 28, 2015
- Mitchell Adair named Hinds 2014 graduate March 3, 2015
- Another winter storm may await March 3, 2015
- Chickasaw United Way allocates dollars March 3, 2015
- Moore to attend Clinton Global Initiative March 2, 2015
- UPDATE: Four hurt, two dead in Calhoun County wreck March 2, 2015
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...