CHICKASAW COUNTY – Give farmers an inch and they will plant a mile. Chickasaw County producers need about a week of dry weather to finish up planting and give newly plowed fields a chance to grow out of that critical emergence stage. “It’s no surprise to anyone that we have had too much rain […]
Tag Archives | Cotton
By Dennis Seid Daily Journal MOOREVILLE – Chris Hussey isn’t a row-crop farmer like his brother, Herman, which means he doesn’t plant corn, soybeans or cotton. However, he is like every other grower across Northeast Mississippi wondering when the wet weather will relent and give him much-needed time in his fields. Chris Hussey has Hussey […]
HOUSTON – Pretty plants have grown in this part of Mississippi for eons and the Chickasaw County Heritage Museum is seeking to landscape its property with native flowers and bushes. The Museum is asking the community to contact them and then bring by those bushes, flowers and seeds so they can plant them around museum […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – Farmers planted late and harvested late, but the crop looks good for most commodities this fall. A late spring delayed planting for just about all crops this year, but a moderate summer without too much rain or heat, allowed fruit to fill out and most fields are sporting good yields in soybeans, […]
HOUSTON – Farmers do live a little closer to the Earth and understand the big picture. But agriculture is also a business and farmers often need a little help to make a profit. The Natural Resources Conservation Service links sustainable agriculture practices with programs and policies that conserve and protect the nations soil, water and […]
HOUSTON – There are 112 days until Christmas but it looks like a good holiday season is in store for area farmers with local crops doing well and prices holding steady for ag commodities. But it is farming and there will be several sunrises and sunsets before harvest is complete and the check is in […]
It’s off the beaten path in rural Chickasaw County, but well worth the trip. Beautiful yards are easily seen in Houston, Okolona, Woodland and Houlka, but you have to be going to Gerald and Elise Gray’s house on County Road 28 to enjoy a very large manicured lawn, massive pecan trees, several gardens and an […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – While most of us are contemplating when to plant tomatoes, much bigger decisions have been made by local farmers on what crops to sow this spring. The U.S. government keeps up with what farmers across the nation expect to plant each year in an effort to monitor the nation’s food supply, set […]
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- Houston to host National Day of Prayer today May 5, 2016
- Jones to play in NFL with with Kansas City May 5, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Balancing act May 5, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...