HOULKA – The rain kept few away from the food and fun at the Second Annual Houlka Cornbread Festival Saturday, as the community came downtown to enjoy music, crafts and cornbread. Rain over the weekend had most watching the sky, but festival organizers said they got in all events and didn’t think weather had a […]
Tag Archives | Cornbread
HOULKA – Last year’s Cornbread Festival took the community by surprise as the square in Houlka was packed with people out to enjoy the town’s first fall festival in years. And event organizers are hoping for a repeat of last year’s success Saturday. “Houlka really has a lot going for it and we really are […]
HOULKA – The best cornbread cooks in Chickasaw County are once again being sought for Houlka’s Second Annual Cornbread Festival and the community is being invited to help judge. “You can be a judge for a simple $5 and that gets you a plate and a bowl,” said Cornbread Festival coordinator Tina Pullen. “You then […]
Two big community events took place this weekend in Chickasaw County. Okolona hosted the Battle of Okolona on the 150th Anniversary of this historic Civil War engagement. The Houston Community Theatre hosted “Hello, Dolly,” the ninth production for this local acting troupe. Both events drew people to their respective communities and both events showed we […]
HOULKA – Cornbread Festival organizers hoped for a good turnout at the inaugural event Saturday and were blown away with the number of people who showed up to eat cornbread, buy arts and crafts and enjoy a little music. The Square in Houlka was packed with vendors and cars were parked four blocks deep for […]
I have always been a big supporter of festivals, parades, homecomings and just about any kind of community celebration where people gather to eat, buy and sell, enjoy a little music and just have fun. Over my career I have seen catfish festivals, lumberjack festivals, Christmas light festivals, motorcycle festivals, magnolia festivals and even a […]
Community newspapers like the Chickasaw Journal are not geared to cover national news. But both the federal government shutdown and Affordable Care Act touched this community this week. Look for details on both these stories on Page One of today’s paper. I will be the first to say I don’t understand the high finance of […]
HOULKA – Cornbread cooking is serious business in this neck of the woods and there will be competition next week to find out who can cook up the best pan of cornbread Houlka will host the Cornbread Festival starting at 8:30 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 12 on the Square with music, fun and – of course […]
Houlka will host the Cornbread Festival starting at 8:30 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 12 on the Square with music, fun and – of course – cornbread. Activities start with a 5K run and bike ride on the newly opened Tanglefoot Trail at 8:30 a.m. Music begins at the Gazebo on the Square shortly thereafter with more […]
- Houston investigates racial slur October 24, 2014
- Art in the Park October 27, 2014
- McClain earns Sonic’s Hall of Fame award October 28, 2014
- DAR: Patriotism, God and country October 28, 2014
- Sweater drive underway October 29, 2014
- Wildcats fall to Biggersville October 30, 2014
- Houston eyes playoffs October 30, 2014
- FLOYD INGRAM: Houston isn’t a bad place to live October 30, 2014
- Trustees, Senator, judges on ballot October 30, 2014
- MOLLY MAY NAMED ICC HOMECOMING QUEEN October 29, 2014
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- Sad for Our Kids: Bravo! You've done your job as an advocate for a...
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...