By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – A Hinds County circuit judge ordered Wednesday the House leadership slow down the speed by which they read bills. Circuit Judge Winston Kidd issued the order, requested by Rep. Jay Hughes, D-Oxford, who maintained the leadership was having the bills read on the House floor at […]
Tag Archives | Constitution
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Parents will be eligible for up to $5,000 per year in state funds to send their children to private schools under legislation pending in both chambers of the Mississippi Legislature. The legislation could be taken up as early as today in either the House or Senate […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Gov. Phil Bryant expressed support for placing a referendum on whether to change Mississippi’s embattled state flag on the 2016 presidential ballot. He said voting during a presidential year would ensure a large turnout. “The more people vote, the better off we will be,” said Bryant […]
Faith and family were two of the most important foundational building blocks of America, yet both have suffered demise particularly over the past 50 years. Has America become a weaker nation as faith and traditional family values have declined? “Back to the Future” or “Terminator” notwithstanding, I see no chance we will ever be […]
What roles will social issues like abortion, same-sex marriage, and religious freedom play in the 2016 presidential race? On January 22, 1973, the Supreme Court decided abortion was a legal right, thus settling the debate … right! In January of this year an estimated 600,000 people marched in Washington to protest the legalization of abortion. […]
Constitution Week is the commemoration of America’s most important document. It is celebrated annually during the week of Sept. 17-23. Did you know 1. Our Constitution has 4,400 words. 2. It took more than 100 days to draft the Constitution. 3. The word “democracy” does not appear in the Constitution. 4. The oldest of the […]
HOUSTON – Thomas Jefferson was the author of the Declaration of Independence, President of the United States, champion for education as the strength of democracy and advocate for a free press and freedom of religion. He also had a spirit of excellence, entrepreneurship, leadership and a heart to give back to America. It is for […]
Dear Editor As the author of House Bill 2, sometimes referred to as the “open carry law” or the “new gun law,” it has been fascinating to see the level of misinformation on this bill, even by some legislators who voted for it twice. Actually, there is nothing really “new” about this law except for […]
HOUSTON – Attorney General Jim Hood has filed a petition requesting the Supreme Court of Mississippi to do away with a restraining order issued by the Hinds County Circuit Court regulating the carrying of weapons. The restraining order was filed late Friday and basically froze the enactment of the State’s new open carry law, known […]
“When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the laws of nature and of nature’s God entitle them, a decent respect to the […]
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Lady Toppers down Senatobia May 5, 2016
- Houston to host National Day of Prayer today May 5, 2016
- Jones to play in NFL with with Kansas City May 5, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Balancing act May 5, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...