News last week that the one of the first major deadlines in the Mississippi Legislature had killed a bill that would consolidate Houlka and Okolona School has been met with cheers and jeers by folks across this community. Senator Russell Jolly’s comment that joining a failing school district with a passing school district is not […]
Tag Archives | consolidation
CHICKSAW COUNTY – A bill to consolidate Chickasaw County Schools in Houlka and Okolona schools was killed in committee in the Mississippi Legislature this month, but the idea, which popped up last year, is far from dead. Mississippi lawmakers were asked to consider administrative school consolidations in several counties this session. The bill affecting […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – School districts with elected superintendents would vote this November on whether to switch to an appointed superintendent under legislation passed Thursday by the House Education Committee. The effort is the latest attempt to change the governance structure of Mississippi’s public school districts. The state currently has […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Four Northeast Mississippi school districts would be consolidated under legislation proposed by Rep. Brad Mayo, R-Oxford. Amory and Aberdeen would be merged, while the Okolona and Chickasaw County districts would be consolidated in Mayo’s proposal, which consolidates 21 districts into 11. He conceded Tuesday the […]
All schools in Chickasaw County start this week. For the first time in over 12 years Ingrams only have one young man in local schools. Schools are so critical the quality of life of any town. Good communities have good schools. — I can’t say enough about the Houston Solar Car team’s 13th consecutive victory […]
by Jeff Amy The Associated Press JACKSON — Bills moving forward in the Senate would merge the Clay County and West Point school districts and give agricultural high schools in Coahoma and Hinds counties to the county school boards.Senate Education Chairman Gray Tollison, an Oxford Republican, says Clay County, the smallest district in the state, […]
- City changes procedures for Parks & Rec cash receipts September 15, 2014
- City ignores AG opinion on clerk post September 19, 2014
- BETTY ATKINSON: Honoring the U.S. Constitution September 19, 2014
- MDWFP BRIEFS: Weapon changes for deer hunters September 20, 2014
- WEEK 5: High school football scores September 20, 2014
- Shempert/Norwood September 21, 2014
- Making their special day, extra special September 21, 2014
- Pontotoc liquor vote tied with five ballots out September 20, 2014
- Mississippi aims to apply for federal preschool grant September 20, 2014
- MSMS to host info meeting in Oxford September 20, 2014
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- Carol Mac: I went to the Tupelo run, and I have some advice f...
- Candace R.: If that isn't nepotism, what is??? The solution ...
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...