HOUSTON – It is a 15-hour trip from Savage, Minn., to Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic Church in Houston. But Kate Ruth, 15, said she missed it last year and was not going to miss a chance to meet with her Houston friends again this summer – even if it is 997-mile from the front […]
Tag Archives | church
I’ve seen your names in the paper. I’ve seen your lovely faces smiling at us from the pages of our Lifestyles section. And I guess there is really nothing I can say to stop you, if your heart and mind are already made up about this marriage thing. Now, I’m not one of those who […]
HOUSTON – We would call it the hottest music ticket in Northeast Mississippi this weekend, but it’s free. Houston will host the Chickasaw County Instrumental Music Festival Friday and Saturday with a list of top-notch instrumentalist and vocal performers set to hit the stage at Joe Brigance Park Friday night and Saturday morning. Event organizer […]
By Juliet Linderman and Travis Loller Associated Press BALTIMORE – An Arkansas megachurch pastor was elected Tuesday to lead the country’s Southern Baptists as the conservative denomination tries to turn around declining membership, church attendance and baptisms and faces increasing conflict with mainstream culture, especially over its conviction that gay sex is immoral. Later on […]
We celebrate Mother’s Day on Sunday. Preacher will extoll the virtues of mothers on Sunday and come back in a few weeks and beat up on men on Father’s Day. Such is Southern culture. Such is the fact that good women can bring out the best in good men. First there was the woman who […]
By Jay Reeves Associated Press BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – A national organization is launching a three-year, $8.5 million campaign to promote LGBT equality and push for new legal protections in three Southern states dominated by conservative politics and religion and known for resistance to change: Alabama, Arkansas and Mississippi. Decades after groups used boycotts, marches, sit-ins, […]
April 26 Springhill District children, youth and adult choirs will have rehearsal April 26 at 3 p.m. and May 5at 6:30 at the Springhill District building in Tupelo. All choirs will sing on the Eldora T. Raspberry Scholarship Fund Musical May 6. For more information call Adrian Jones at 662-231-2822 or Sylvia Thornton at 662-397-4491. […]
Do you like making a dollar? That’s a question every American can truthfully answer without one bit of guilt or shame. This country and this community was founded by capitalist who spotted an opportunity, put the wheels in motion and carried the proceeds from their labor to the bank. That opportunity come to Houston this […]
OKOLONA – The volunteers, churches and civic organizations that work every day to make Okolona a better place for all were honored at the Okolona Chamber of Commerce Annual Banquet. The 80th annual banquet saw the National Guard Armory packed March 27 and attendees enjoyed a meal, entertainment and an evening of celebration. Keynote speaker […]
The phones at the Chickasaw Journal rang regularly Wednesday as you called to point out we got the time change wrong on Page One last week. While the headline read “Spring forward,” the copy said to fall back one hour for daylight savings time. And though we didn’t think it was very funny, we had […]
By Sheena Barnett Daily Journal TUPELO – It was standing-room only at Winter Jam at the BancorpSouth Arena on Thursday night. No advance tickets are sold for the Christian music festival, so fans began lining up early Thursday morning to make sure they had a seat. A few were turned away after more than […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – When a teenage girl and guy find out they are pregnant, they need help. Pregnant teens need lots of support, including social, medical, emotional and academic support. And it comes from family, school, church and the government. The statistics and stories published by the Chickasaw Journal over the past three weeks repeatedly […]
Luke 1:64 (KJV) “And his mouth was opened immediately, and his tongue loosed, and he spake, and praised God.” During the course of a day, most people have a long list of things to do. That list can range from cooking to working, from dropping the kids off at school to running errands, from ironing to […]
• First Baptist Church Houston will host its annual Singing Christmas Tree at 6:30 on Dec. 14 and 15. The music will be performed by Kantangello and the Kidz Praise Choirs. • The Parkway Baptist Sanctuary Choir will perform the Christmas musical/drama, “The Christmas Offering,” at 10:15 a.m, Dec. 15. • Houston First United Methodist Church […]
- Aldermen mull vendor permits July 22, 2014
- Let’s hear it for EARS! July 25, 2014
- It’s all about passion July 25, 2014
- United Way holds Back to School resource fairs July 25, 2014
- Dodge’s Store robbed in Okolona July 25, 2014
- Required Vaccinations July 29, 2014
- Reach, throw, row, go! July 29, 2014
- BRIAN LENTZ: MACJC format changes in 2015 July 28, 2014
- This story has a ring to it July 28, 2014
- Cherry/Dendy July 27, 2014
- Pat Southerland: It is interesting to see that Mrs. Dendy is resign...
- Michael Mcalpin: So glad to have this service back locally....
- Pat Burgess: Congratulations to Jim for the award and for all t...
- Chip Ingram: My son Daniel was given a Bobbie Gentry album by ...
- Pam Dendy: I have that first album. My Daddy bought it for me...