Applications for Project Noel/Angel Tree are currently available at the Salvation Army Service Center in Houston. Applications are open for children ages 1-12 and those applying must schedule an interview for processing. Applicants should bring: • Photo I.D. • Birth certificate for every member of the home • Proof of all income • Proof of […]
Tag Archives | Christmas
There’s a chill in the air, which I don’t mind at all. And I’m wearing closed-toe shoes, which I do mind a lot. But there’s nothing to be done about either one, they both just have to run their course. It feels like fall is finally on its way and I can hear the distinct […]
2 Peter 1:5-8 Because you have these blessings, do your best to add these things to your lives: to your faith, add goodness; and to your goodness, add knowledge; and to your knowledge, add self-control; and to your self-control, add patience; and to your patience, add service for God; and to your service for God, […]
The Christmas holidays have pushed the delivery date for this week’s Chickasaw Journal from Wednesday to Thursday. The newspaper was printed a day late to allow production crews to spend Christmas Day with their families and the staff and employees of the Chickasaw Journal appreciate your patience.If you do not have a newspaper in your […]
HOUSTON – Snowflakes in the trees on The Square downtown and along Jackson and Madison Street have helped proclaim Christmas in Houston for years. Houston Aldermen were told last week that time and the elements have taken their toll and it’s either time for new lights or an extensive rework of the bulbs and wiring […]
HOUSTON – The Salvation Kettle campaign relies on volunteers to ring the bells for donations during the holiday season and got a boost this year from two local entities. Chickasaw County fire services and law enforcement challenged each other to see who could raise the most money to help the less fortunate during Christmas and […]
HOUSTON – It’s the best part of being a Chicksaw County Constable. First District Constable Billy Voyles will give six bicycles to six needy Chicksaw County youngsters for the eighth year in a row this Christmas. “I give out three new bicycles to boys and three new bicycles to girls,” said Voyles. “They are different […]
HOUSTON/VARDAMAN – The last round of local Christmas parades took place last week as Houston and Vardaman both rescheduled their events due to weather. The Civitan club in Houston sponsored the annual parade for the first time this year and invited soldiers from the 288th Sapper unit of the National Guard to attend as Grand […]
HOULKA – The little town of Houlka hosted one of the biggest Christmas parades the community has seen in years last week. A dozen floats, fire trucks, antique cars and horses and carriages paraded down Highway 32 and through downtown Houlka Saturday night Dec. 8. The parade was capped by a float featuring Santa Claus […]
HOUSTON – The recent spate of cold weather often sparks a series of house fires as residents try to keep warm. The Houston Fire Department urges residents to take a little extra precaution to prevent a fire this winter and especially during the holiday season. “There are a lot of things that come together at […]
- EDITORIAL: Emergency Service September 11, 2014
- Houston proposes tax hike September 12, 2014
- Rewarding excellence in education September 12, 2014
- Topper Zone grand opening September 13, 2014
- RENEE CUNNINGHAM: Common Core: Prepared for education anywhere September 13, 2014
- Rebels on road to open SEC hoops September 15, 2014
- City changes procedures for Parks & Rec cash receipts September 15, 2014
- BILLY McCORD: As I see it September 14, 2014
- BATTLE OF THE CREEK: Oldtimers remember September 14, 2014
- 2014 Okolona Homecoming Court September 14, 2014
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- Carol Mac: I went to the Tupelo run, and I have some advice f...
- Candace R.: If that isn't nepotism, what is??? The solution ...
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...