The Mississippi Highway Patrol “Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over” initiative will put an additional 285 troopers on the road during the Christmas/New Year’s Holiday. “This is the tenth year Mississippi has participated in the campaign,” Public Safety Commissioner Albert Santa Cruz said. “Last year, there was an average of 81 DUI arrests every day, […]
Tag Archives | Christmas
The boys will be home this weekend. My two oldest will make the trek home from college Friday night. Sara has been planning for their arrival for more than a month. Special foods have been bought, the house has been decorated, Christmas gifts are ready and she has lined up a “schedule of events” to […]
My son asked me about Santa Claus the other day. Now, at 14, he made up his mind about the existence of big man several years ago, but any time he or the nephews ask me, I always tell them I believe. This time he really tried to pin me down. “Do you really think […]
The Chickasaw County Regional Correctional Facilty is seeking sponsors to provide gift bags to inmates this holiday season. Churches, civic groups and individuals are asked to help provide small gift bags containing n Clear shampoo n Clear stick deodorant n White tennis socks, full length n Hard candy, 30 count The CCRCF has approximately 430 […]
HOUSTON – In the busiest shopping time of the year Mississippi Attorney General Jim Hood reminds consumers to shop with caution. “Whether you’re shopping at the mall or online, it is important for consumers to get prepared in order to not only save time and money, but also to avoid scams and identity thieves,” said […]
• First Baptist Church Houston will host its annual Singing Christmas Tree at 6:30 on Dec. 14 and 15. The music will be performed by Kantangello and the Kidz Praise Choirs. • The Parkway Baptist Sanctuary Choir will perform the Christmas musical/drama, “The Christmas Offering,” at 10:15 a.m, Dec. 15. • Houston First United Methodist Church […]
Before I complete my remarks on getting ready for Christmas, there is a story I must share with you. Thursday afternoon of last week, Ann and I were sitting in the den watching our leaf man moving leaves from our yard. We had the main door open and were just observing through the storm door. […]
HOUSTON – As part of the mission to reach out to people and up to God, the congregation of Houston First United Methodist Church continued their tradition of hosting a soup supper during the annual Christmas parade. The idea was born several years ago as members of the church gathered in the Family Life Center […]
It’s not Christmas until you put up the tree. We loaded up this weekend and went out to get the tree for my humble little abode. Cold blue skies and a stiff north breeze had no effect on our disposition other than to make cheeks rosy and prompt a pinched grin once the deed was […]
OKOLONA – The residents of Shearer-Richardson Nursing Home in Okolona recieved an early Christmas present as local children brought a donation of casual shoes, one pair for each resident of the facility. The students, accompanied by Fresh Start School of Advance Studies owner, John Standfield, brought 150 pairs of shoes in hopes of helping residents […]
HOUSTON – This is a season of gifts and giving but there are some who want to take and steal. The Christmas holiday season usually sees an increase in crime as homes and cars fill with gifts and crooks start looking for easy targets to fill out their own Christmas list. “We just urge people […]
The following Christmas musicals will be presented at local churches today. The public is urged to attend. – Gospel Hurricane Christmas celebration will be held Dec. 8 at 5 p.m. at Alpha and Omega Transformational Ministries in Houston. – Children’s Choir at Parkway Baptist Church in Houston will perform, “Christmas in Black and White,” Dec. […]
Christmas is just around the corner and it’s time to let Santa know what’s on your list. The Chickasaw Journal will print Letters to Santa Dec. 18 in plenty of time to forward them on to the North Pole. The deadline for letters to be received in the Houston office is Thursday, Dec. 12 at […]
I have had the opportunity to live in several different communities and it is always neat to see how a neighborhood or town celebrates Christmas. The holidays are all about tradition and often locals don’t see those time-honored events for what they really mean to the community. Houston is no different. I repeatedly hear businesses, […]
- Paying it forward April 16, 2014
- Alvie Griggs April 15, 2014
- “Don’t be a distracted driver!” April 14, 2014
- WEDDING: Laiche/Holland April 13, 2014
- Manufacturing event scheduled for April 23 in Starkville at Franklin Furniture Center April 13, 2014
- Paying it forward April 16, 2014
- Israel Harper April 16, 2014
- Run ‘em down and walk off! April 16, 2014
- Civil War author to speak at Museum April 16, 2014
- Freeze warning in effect for tonight April 15, 2014
- help: They treat their employees like they are slaves wo...
- William: This is best content site Deer archery....
- Marathon set for Tanglefoot Trail | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Trail opening was top story for 2013 [...
- Tickets issued for dogs in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Robertson speaks to Okolona Aldermen [...
- DOCKET: Circuit Court in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Circuit Court verdicts imposed in Okolon...