WOODLAND – It’s just another reason Woodland is such a neat place to live. The Woodland Mayor’s Youth Council took the initiative just before Christmas to put together gift boxes for local elderly and shut-ins and then delivered each package with a smile. “They came up with this all on their own and then put […]
Tag Archives | Christmas
WOODLAND – In the dark hill country of south Chickasaw County, over a million lights shine each evening in Woodland every night during the holiday season. Now in its fourth year of the festive display, the town has decorated again this year for the delight of children and visitors to the town. The lights officially […]
HOUSTON — Two pickup trucks were packed with canned good and non-perishable items last week and delivered to needy families this holiday season. The Chickasaw County Extension Service partnered with the local Master Gardeners Mississippi Homemaker Volunteers, 4-H Club, Mississippi State University Alumni and WTVA to host Food for Families. Eaton Automotive and Griffin Motors […]
I’ve been around the newspaper business for about 43 of my 53 years, having started out in this profession throwing papers at the tender age of ten in West Point. Delivering newspapers every afternoon five days a week and then trying to collect for your services on weekends will teach you a lot about business […]
The Mississippi Highway Patrol “Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over” initiative will put an additional 285 troopers on the road during the Christmas/New Year’s Holiday. “This is the tenth year Mississippi has participated in the campaign,” Public Safety Commissioner Albert Santa Cruz said. “Last year, there was an average of 81 DUI arrests every day, […]
The boys will be home this weekend. My two oldest will make the trek home from college Friday night. Sara has been planning for their arrival for more than a month. Special foods have been bought, the house has been decorated, Christmas gifts are ready and she has lined up a “schedule of events” to […]
My son asked me about Santa Claus the other day. Now, at 14, he made up his mind about the existence of big man several years ago, but any time he or the nephews ask me, I always tell them I believe. This time he really tried to pin me down. “Do you really think […]
The Chickasaw County Regional Correctional Facilty is seeking sponsors to provide gift bags to inmates this holiday season. Churches, civic groups and individuals are asked to help provide small gift bags containing n Clear shampoo n Clear stick deodorant n White tennis socks, full length n Hard candy, 30 count The CCRCF has approximately 430 […]
HOUSTON – In the busiest shopping time of the year Mississippi Attorney General Jim Hood reminds consumers to shop with caution. “Whether you’re shopping at the mall or online, it is important for consumers to get prepared in order to not only save time and money, but also to avoid scams and identity thieves,” said […]
• First Baptist Church Houston will host its annual Singing Christmas Tree at 6:30 on Dec. 14 and 15. The music will be performed by Kantangello and the Kidz Praise Choirs. • The Parkway Baptist Sanctuary Choir will perform the Christmas musical/drama, “The Christmas Offering,” at 10:15 a.m, Dec. 15. • Houston First United Methodist Church […]
Before I complete my remarks on getting ready for Christmas, there is a story I must share with you. Thursday afternoon of last week, Ann and I were sitting in the den watching our leaf man moving leaves from our yard. We had the main door open and were just observing through the storm door. […]
HOUSTON – As part of the mission to reach out to people and up to God, the congregation of Houston First United Methodist Church continued their tradition of hosting a soup supper during the annual Christmas parade. The idea was born several years ago as members of the church gathered in the Family Life Center […]
It’s not Christmas until you put up the tree. We loaded up this weekend and went out to get the tree for my humble little abode. Cold blue skies and a stiff north breeze had no effect on our disposition other than to make cheeks rosy and prompt a pinched grin once the deed was […]
OKOLONA – The residents of Shearer-Richardson Nursing Home in Okolona recieved an early Christmas present as local children brought a donation of casual shoes, one pair for each resident of the facility. The students, accompanied by Fresh Start School of Advance Studies owner, John Standfield, brought 150 pairs of shoes in hopes of helping residents […]
- EDITORIAL: Emergency Service September 11, 2014
- BIRTH: Reagan Brooke Murphree September 13, 2014
- 2014 Okolona Homecoming Court September 14, 2014
- BATTLE OF THE CREEK: Oldtimers remember September 14, 2014
- BILLY McCORD: As I see it September 14, 2014
- Your Hospital September 18, 2014
- Houston WalMart target of bomb scare September 17, 2014
- Liquor defeated, beer apparently approved in Pontotoc September 17, 2014
- ICC Adult Learner scholars September 16, 2014
- County opens bids for AgriCenter roof September 16, 2014
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- Carol Mac: I went to the Tupelo run, and I have some advice f...
- Candace R.: If that isn't nepotism, what is??? The solution ...
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...