By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Memorial Day will be a little more solemn this year as organizers move the annual event to the morning when things are a little quieter. Memorial Day ceremonies in Houston will be held at 10 a.m. Monday on the east side of the Chickasaw County Courthouse where […]
Tag Archives | Chisolm
HOUSTON – “We’ve got POW flags, American flags, whatever anyone wants to retire,” said Cara Chisolm of the 10th annual flag retirement ceremony sponsored by the Houston Pilot Club, VFW 7149 and American Legion Post 95 and held June 12 in Joe Brigance Park. The groups saw a need to encourage people to take down […]
HOUSTON – “B, bat, buh, C, cat, cuh,” were the sounds coming from the children’s reading room at the Houston Carnegie Lilbrary recently. Tekela Spraggins was leading the youngsters through sounding out the alphabet during the opening of the EARS program at the facility. Spraggins was joined by several other teachers, active and retired, who […]
The Memorial Day ceremony held on Monday, May 26, was a wonderful opportunity to pay tribute to those who sacrificed so much for all of us. It was good to see so many people take the time to attend this year. Thanks to everyone who was there. Memorial Day is accompanied by the appearance of […]
Dear Editor, This year, the Pilot Club is joining with the Houston High School Student Council and Anchor Club in presenting a Veterans Day program at 9:45 a.m. on Veterans Day, November 11, in the Houston High School gymnasium. We would like for any and all veterans to attend so that we can give you […]
If you take a close look at most calendars, many of the dates have notations of their special significance. Many of these dates are special dates for displaying the U.S. flag. Many of us fly the flag every day, but there are days designated as especially important for flying our flags. We all should take […]
HOUSTON – As America moves faster and farther from many of the principles of its founding fathers, there are still people who hold onto honor, pride, patriotism and tradition. Members of the Houston Pilot Club, VFW and American Legion have invited the community to gather at Joe Brigance Park at 5 p.m., June 14 for […]
By Jan Dyson Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON — The ladies of the Chickasaw County Homemakers Club were surprised at the history, records and artifacts that fill seven rooms in the Chickasaw County Historical and Genealogical Society. Houston’s best kept secret lighted the faces of the ladies as they strolled through the building […]
- Teachers to be allowed to paddle September 28, 2015
- DUKE DENTON: Hospitals owe patients a list of procedure costs September 27, 2015
- Vardaman wins homecoming, 48-7 October 1, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Let’s get on the Trail October 1, 2015
- Flywheel Festival was fall fun October 1, 2015
- WEDDING: Adams / Gregory October 4, 2015
- WEDDING: Byrne / Blissard October 4, 2015
- AREA ROUNDUP: Adams scores three touchdowns in limited action October 3, 2015
- Tanglefoot Trail signs destroyed in Pontotoc County October 3, 2015
- DANIEL GARDNER: Politicians parsing words October 3, 2015
- George Edgar Worley: See Sparethekids.com and BeatingBlackKids.com for ...
- George Edgar Worley: WATCH Montel Williams on School Paddling of Studen...
- George Edgar Worley: #BlackLivesMatter ? #srebeducation Students to Sch...
- George Edgar Worley: WATCH Documentary Exposes the Brutally Violent TRU...
- Carolyn Goggans: In the pictures above ( the second from the bottom...