Special to the Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – Willie Tucker Raspberry, 108, the matriarch of the nationally prominent Raspberry family of Okolona, died Friday in Indianapolis, where she had lived with a granddaughter since 2009. Raspberry, the widow of noted educator James Raspberry, who died in 1991, had been a longtime teacher in the Okolona public […]
Tag Archives | Child
OKOLONA – The April term of Chickasaw County Circuit Court had 65 cases set on the docket with drug cases and appeals from Justice Court and Okolona Municipal Court dominating the list. Circuit Court Judges Robert Elliott, John A. Gregory and Andrew Howorth were slated to hear cases this term, accept guilty pleas and assign […]
HOUSTON – How many kids really know what their parents go through each month trying to pay the bills and keep a roof over their head? Welcome to the Real World gave more than 315 Houston High School students a taste of what it is like to be on their own, pay rent, make a […]
CALHOUN COUNTY — The Calhoun County Sheriff’s Department has arrested a Raymond man on sexual abuse of a child charges and he is currently in the Calhoun County Jail under $500,000 bond. Calhoun County Sheriff Greg Pollan, said Troy Stewart, 39, of Raymond, was arrested Wednesday on five counts of sexual battery of a […]
Babies are not abandoned in Houston every day. And this community is thankful for that. So the discovery of a baby boy left in a shed in Houston recently not only shocked this community but left many wondering why. When the community found out the same woman responsible for this alleged abandonment had abandoned a […]
HOUSTON – A woman who allegedly abandoned a child for the second time has been formally served and arrested by the Houston Police Department on one charge each of child abuse and child abandonment. Cora Lynn Watkins, 25, was taken into custody at the Regional Three Mental Health building Thursday afternoon. She was booked into […]
HOUSTON – “You do not know until you get there what you will do,” Lori Harrington said emphatically. “Don’t ever say you know what you’d do in a situation – or what your kids would do – because you don’t until it happens.” Harrington didn’t know what she’d do if she found herself pregnant at […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – It takes two to make a baby, but the burden of a teen pregnancy almost always rests on mom. While teen pregnancy does not carry the stigma of 20 years ago, there are still many hurdles a teenage girl must overcome to make a better life for herself and her […]
OKOLONA – The October term of Chickasaw County Circuit Court saw the docket swell from 73 cases in July to 105 this month in Okolona, with judges disposing of 25 cases. Circuit Court Judges Robert Elliott, John A. Gregory and Andrew Howorth accepted 18 guilty pleas, retired five cases to the files, dismissed one case […]
OKOLONA – The July term of Chickasaw County Circuit Court has 73 cases set and drug related cases dominating the docket. The two week term opened on July 15 and continues through Friday, July 26, at the Chickasaw County Courtroom in Okolona. The docket saw 32 drug-related cases set for this term, down from the […]
HOUSTON – Drug charges took up just over half of the 70 cases in set for Chickasaw County Circuit Court this week. The docket saw 36 drug-related cases set for this term with alleged crimes of burglary or larceny/embezzlement ranking second with seven cases each. The court calendar also lists six sex-related charges and five […]
Paul A man once said, “I wish there were instructions that came with having children.” My friend, there are instructions and they are in the Bible. There are answers for every thing that we need to know about raising a family, if only we would go back to the Bible. In raising children, the first […]
- Houlka trustees Ok demolition, infrastructure details July 27, 2015
- Woman charged with trying to sell her baby July 30, 2015
- Ole Miss begins season No. 15 in coaches poll July 30, 2015
- County elections are Tuesday, Aug. 4 July 31, 2015
- Two charged in Calhoun County death July 31, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: A hot political summer August 3, 2015
- School immunization required August 2, 2015
- 2015-16 Back to School Supply lists for Houlka, Houston, Okolona August 2, 2015
- PERS retirees must stay vigilant August 2, 2015
- Mayors takes issue with column August 1, 2015
- Jimmie Hardin: I for one cared that it was a week late. I live in...
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- Greg Schmidt: This is good news because this is one of the most ...
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...