CHICKSAW COUNTY – A bill to consolidate Chickasaw County Schools in Houlka and Okolona schools was killed in committee in the Mississippi Legislature this month, but the idea, which popped up last year, is far from dead. Mississippi lawmakers were asked to consider administrative school consolidations in several counties this session. The bill affecting […]
Tag Archives | Charter
By Jeff Amy The Associated Press JACKSON — State education officials could only take over a school district for three years under a bill moving forward in the Senate. The Senate Education Committee approved Senate Bill 2124, sponsored by Sen. Steve Hale, D-Senatobia. The bill goes to the Senate for more debate. Hale says that […]
Charter schools are big news in Jackson this week and there should not be a doubt in anyone’s mind they will soon be big news in Chickasaw County. A quick look around our community indicates we will be a prime target for these new private schools funded with public dollars. Okolona schools have just recently […]
by Jeff Amy The Associated Press JACKSON — Bills moving forward in the Senate would merge the Clay County and West Point school districts and give agricultural high schools in Coahoma and Hinds counties to the county school boards.Senate Education Chairman Gray Tollison, an Oxford Republican, says Clay County, the smallest district in the state, […]
by Bobby Harrison NEMS Daily Journal JACKSON – Despite near unprecedented debate that started Wednesday afternoon and ended early Thursday morning with passage of charter school legislation by the House, the issue is far from resolved for the 2013 session. The House, in a vote primarily but not completely along party lines, passed charter school […]
By John Stanfield Guest Columnist A community says a lot about itself by the way it takes care of its children. Okolona is saying good things lately with its response to Okolona Community Dollars for Scholars. The group, only eight-years-old, last summer gave out five $1,500 scholarships and twenty-two $500 scholarships to Okolona High […]
by Bobby Harrison NEMS Daily Journal JACKSON – Senate Education Chairman Gray Tollison, R-Oxford, and Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves said Wednesday’s passage of charter school legislation is the first of several steps they plan to make this session in an effort to improve the state’s schools. Moments after charter school legislation passed the Senate by […]
by Bobby Harrison NEMS Daily Journal Djournal.Com JACKSON – As expected, the Senate Education Committee passed charter school legislation Tuesday. A section allowing virtual charter schools was removed from the bill in committee, but the bill will allow charter schools in C, D and F accredited districts without the approval of the local school boards. […]
Let’s try charter schools Dear Editor, Thanks to liberals like you and Dr. Coker, we readers get to hear one side of the Charter School issue. You are right in that we should do our homework. That statement includes you and Dr. Coker. Let’s see, we were at the bottom of the education in […]
- Claiming their spots April 18, 2014
- Gwendolyn Shipp April 17, 2014
- Wolves start week clean April 17, 2014
- Herron places fourth at State April 17, 2014
- 3 dead in Nettleton shooting: Altercation at plant leads to street gunfire April 17, 2014
- Claiming their spots April 18, 2014
- Lady Toppers wrestle Gators April 18, 2014
- Authorities search for driver of drug car April 18, 2014
- Jamie Guin April 18, 2014
- Cameron Eddie April 18, 2014
- help: They treat their employees like they are slaves wo...
- William: This is best content site Deer archery....
- Marathon set for Tanglefoot Trail | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Trail opening was top story for 2013 [...
- Tickets issued for dogs in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Robertson speaks to Okolona Aldermen [...
- DOCKET: Circuit Court in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Circuit Court verdicts imposed in Okolon...