Winning isn’t everything, but it sure is a lot better than losing. The 2014 Houston Hilltopper baseball team was defeated by St. Stanislaus Friday night and we hated that loss just as much as the boys on the field. If the umpire had seen the Game Two slide at third the way church-going folk in […]
Tag Archives | Championship
By Floyd Ingram and Brandon Speck Chickasaw Journal PEARL – Houston fans will always believe Reid Carter was safe at third in Game Two of the 2015 4A Championship. The aggressive base-running that is a Hilltopper trademark and a winning strategy much of the season, showed its darkside as Houston was nipped in both […]
By John Davis Oxford Citizen PEARL – Anfernee Sullivan knew as soon as he got a piece of Kolby Crowley’s pitch, he needed to run as fast as he could. What the Taylorsville senior didn’t know was that his line drive to center field would turn into an inside-the-park home run and keep the Tartars’ […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal PEARL – If stealing second base has to involve a flotation device, the state baseball championships may be moving from a start today to a Wednesday start. With water standing at second base at Trustmark Park, MHSAA officials were scheduled to make a decision sometime this morning on whether the […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal JACKSON – Okolona was never able to shake off a shaky start. The Cheiftains were stuck with one made field goal much of the first quarter Saturday at Mississippi Coliseum, while Bay Springs ran off with the Class 2A state championship with a 74-58 win. It took nearly 3 minutes […]
By Gene Phelps Daily Journal JACKSON – Bailey, Smith, Spears. Three names basketball fans in Mississippi need to remember, three names West Tallahatchie would like to forget. Okolona freshmen Jaylon Bailey, Cameron Smith and Ladarius Spears rang up 53 points Thursday to lead the Chieftains to a 73-67 comeback win against West Tallahatchie in the […]
MHSAA FOOTBALL STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS Veterans Memorial Stadium, Jackson Friday, Dec. 6 Class 1A: Smithville (11-3) vs. French Camp (10-5), 11 a.m. Class 2A: Calhoun City (12-3) vs. Bassfield (14-1), 3 p.m. Class 6A: Tupelo (13-1) vs. Oak Grove (13-1), 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 7 Class 3A: Louisville (15-0) vs. Hazlehurst (14-1), 11 a.m. Class 4A: […]
29 PALMS, Calif. – “We’re sitting really well right now,” said Houston Solar Race Team captain, Trey Franklin, as the team prepared for their final day of the racing in the Solar Challenge Tuesday. It was an understatment at best. After wrapping up Monday’s race and facing only 55.9 miles available to drive Tuesday, it […]
HOUSTON – In recognition for his ten years of coaching softball at Houston High School, Keith Jernigan was awarded Coach of the Year status by the National Federation of High School awards. Representatives of the Mississippi High School Activities Association presented the honor to Jernigan in Clinton recently. Jernigan left the grocery business and returned […]
- WEEK 7: High School Football Scores October 3, 2015
- Aberdeen embracing blues with annual Bukka White Blues Festival October 7, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Excellence in all things October 8, 2015
- Houlka teacher waives probable cause hearing October 8, 2015
- Volunteers spruce up Tanglefoot Trail October 8, 2015
- Former MSU great Goode dies at 76 October 9, 2015
- WEEK 8: High School Football Capsules October 9, 2015
- McClain invites friends to Troy October 9, 2015
- Signs of history October 9, 2015
- Lady Toppers claim District October 8, 2015
- Gilbie Rivas: Hey ideas - I was enlightened by the info , Does a...
- George Edgar Worley: See Sparethekids.com and BeatingBlackKids.com for ...
- George Edgar Worley: WATCH Montel Williams on School Paddling of Studen...
- George Edgar Worley: #BlackLivesMatter ? #srebeducation Students to Sch...
- George Edgar Worley: WATCH Documentary Exposes the Brutally Violent TRU...