Winning isn’t everything, but it sure is a lot better than losing. The 2014 Houston Hilltopper baseball team was defeated by St. Stanislaus Friday night and we hated that loss just as much as the boys on the field. If the umpire had seen the Game Two slide at third the way church-going folk in […]
Tag Archives | Championship
By Floyd Ingram and Brandon Speck Chickasaw Journal PEARL – Houston fans will always believe Reid Carter was safe at third in Game Two of the 2015 4A Championship. The aggressive base-running that is a Hilltopper trademark and a winning strategy much of the season, showed its darkside as Houston was nipped in both […]
By John Davis Oxford Citizen PEARL – Anfernee Sullivan knew as soon as he got a piece of Kolby Crowley’s pitch, he needed to run as fast as he could. What the Taylorsville senior didn’t know was that his line drive to center field would turn into an inside-the-park home run and keep the Tartars’ […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal PEARL – If stealing second base has to involve a flotation device, the state baseball championships may be moving from a start today to a Wednesday start. With water standing at second base at Trustmark Park, MHSAA officials were scheduled to make a decision sometime this morning on whether the […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal JACKSON – Okolona was never able to shake off a shaky start. The Cheiftains were stuck with one made field goal much of the first quarter Saturday at Mississippi Coliseum, while Bay Springs ran off with the Class 2A state championship with a 74-58 win. It took nearly 3 minutes […]
By Gene Phelps Daily Journal JACKSON – Bailey, Smith, Spears. Three names basketball fans in Mississippi need to remember, three names West Tallahatchie would like to forget. Okolona freshmen Jaylon Bailey, Cameron Smith and Ladarius Spears rang up 53 points Thursday to lead the Chieftains to a 73-67 comeback win against West Tallahatchie in the […]
MHSAA FOOTBALL STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS Veterans Memorial Stadium, Jackson Friday, Dec. 6 Class 1A: Smithville (11-3) vs. French Camp (10-5), 11 a.m. Class 2A: Calhoun City (12-3) vs. Bassfield (14-1), 3 p.m. Class 6A: Tupelo (13-1) vs. Oak Grove (13-1), 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 7 Class 3A: Louisville (15-0) vs. Hazlehurst (14-1), 11 a.m. Class 4A: […]
29 PALMS, Calif. – “We’re sitting really well right now,” said Houston Solar Race Team captain, Trey Franklin, as the team prepared for their final day of the racing in the Solar Challenge Tuesday. It was an understatment at best. After wrapping up Monday’s race and facing only 55.9 miles available to drive Tuesday, it […]
HOUSTON – In recognition for his ten years of coaching softball at Houston High School, Keith Jernigan was awarded Coach of the Year status by the National Federation of High School awards. Representatives of the Mississippi High School Activities Association presented the honor to Jernigan in Clinton recently. Jernigan left the grocery business and returned […]
- DANIEL GARDNER: The “Good News” in Russia July 25, 2015
- Suspicious mailers sent before Primary Election July 29, 2015
- Victoria Wofford awarded Yates Scholarship July 29, 2015
- Quality Iron announces expansion in Houston July 30, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Who deserves your vote? July 30, 2015
- NCAA charges Southern Miss, Tyndall August 1, 2015
- Houlka aldermen updated on water, sewer issues July 31, 2015
- Man arrested following assault with knife July 31, 2015
- Two charged in Calhoun County death July 31, 2015
- County elections are Tuesday, Aug. 4 July 31, 2015
- Jimmie Hardin: I for one cared that it was a week late. I live in...
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- Greg Schmidt: This is good news because this is one of the most ...
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...