HOUSTON – People are dying to get in the Houston City Cemetery, but now they are going to have to start paying for it. The Houston Board of Mayor and Aldermen tabled an ordinance that will set up fees for lots, maintenance by the city and detailing the order and policy of the property at […]
Tag Archives | Cemetery
History comes alive next week with a fundraiser by the Chicksasaw County Historic and Genealogical Society bringing back notable residents to tell about their life and times in the community. The Chickasaw County Historic and Genealogical Society is putting on “Voices of Yesteryear” a cemetery walk with characters in period dress depicting those buried […]
OKOLONA – The GFWC-MFWC Lanier Club of Okolona has once again sponsored “Wreaths Across America” for the Odd Fellows Cemetery and will host a special ceremony on Saturday. The club sold wreaths through Nov. 20 in honor or in memory of military veterans and active service personnel. The wreaths will be placed on veteran’s graves […]
The GFWC-MFWC Lanier Club of Okolona will once again sponsor “Wreaths Across America” for the Odd Fellows Cemetery. The club will sell wreaths for $15 each through Nov. 20 in honor or in memory of military veterans and active service personnel. The wreaths will then be placed on veteran’s graves in the Odd Fellows Cemetery […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – Private John Wiggs was born Western Chickasaw County, fought in the Civil War and was one of the lucky ones who returned home and lived the rest of his life among family and friends. There are still many Wiggs in that part of the county and many can trace their roots […]
HOUSTON — Some view graveyards as dreary places, but a group of Chickasaw County volunteers feels one of the community’s oldest and most visible cemeteries doesn’t need to be that way. Helen Pettit and her family and friends spent the better part of a week clearing brush, trimming around gravestones and cutting back fence-lines at […]
Ivy manages different hats in home town Editor’s Note: This is the third of four articles on area women making a difference in their community. OKOLONA – For Stelle Ivy, Okolona is the place to be. “I was born and raised here, graduated in 1973,” Ivy said of her home town. After attending […]
CALHOUN COUNTY – A Slate Springs man was allegedly stabbed and run over by a vehicle at a rural cemetery Wednesday afternoon, prompting the arrest of two people on aggravated assault charges. Calhoun County Sheriff Greg Pollan said the incident began after the husband confronted his wife and another man at Moreland Cemetery near Slate […]
- Okolona notches academic benchmarks October 2, 2015
- Man shot in arm by 17-year-old girl October 7, 2015
- Proposal would erase Confederate sign from Mississippi flag October 7, 2015
- Houston ranked 3rd in State 4A October 7, 2015
- Aberdeen embracing blues with annual Bukka White Blues Festival October 7, 2015
- Lady Toppers claim District October 8, 2015
- CHASING THE SUN: Houston Solar Car team heads west to Australia October 8, 2015
- Toppers in control October 8, 2015
- Volunteers spruce up Tanglefoot Trail October 8, 2015
- Houlka teacher waives probable cause hearing October 8, 2015
- Gilbie Rivas: Hey ideas - I was enlightened by the info , Does a...
- George Edgar Worley: See Sparethekids.com and BeatingBlackKids.com for ...
- George Edgar Worley: WATCH Montel Williams on School Paddling of Studen...
- George Edgar Worley: #BlackLivesMatter ? #srebeducation Students to Sch...
- George Edgar Worley: WATCH Documentary Exposes the Brutally Violent TRU...