By JB Clark Daily Journal CEDAR BLUFF – Two Clay County farmers are changing the way people think about livestock farming and in the process, they hope, changing the state’s regulations for the way small farmers sell their meat. Ali Fratesi, 27, and Dustin Pinion, 28, raise chickens and pigs at Beaverdam Fresh Farms a […]
Tag Archives | Cattle
HOUSTON – Almost a century ago Congress established the Cooperative Extension Service to link the nation’s agricultural research universities to farms and farmers – and that assistance continues to this day. The Chickasaw County Extension Service will host an open house at its offices at 415 Lee Horn Drive from 1 to 3 p.m. Thursday […]
JACKSON – After testing, interviewing and showing at Dixie National competition, C.J. Weddle of Vardaman brought home a nice prize. Weddle was named Premier Exhibitor for showing goats and was awarded a $2,000 scholarship to the college of her choice. The Vardaman High School freshman still has a few years to decide where to use […]
HOUSTON — Earvin Joseph “E.J.” Earnest, 85, died Monday, Jan. 27, 2014, at Floy Dyer Manor in Houston. He was born March 16, 1928, in Houston. He married his wife of 62 years, Louise Lowry Earnest, on Sept. 16, 1951. He moved to the Sparta Community in Chickasaw County and with his wife worked many […]
Jolly honored by Farm Bureau Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Sen. Russell Jolly of Houston is the Mississippi Farm Bureau Federation’s 2013 Friend of Agriculture for the Mississippi Senate. The presentation was made during the organization’s annual meeting in December. Sen. Jolly represents Dist. 8, consisting of Chickasaw, Calhoun, Grenada and […]
WEST POINT – Harold Max Colbert passed away Tuesday, Dec. 24, 2013, at his residence in Cedar Bluff at the age of 81. He was born Aug. 11, 1932, in West Point to Harold Lee Colbert and Maxine Holmes. He served 20 years in the U.S. Army and retired as a Lieutenant Colonel and fought […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – Farmers planted late and harvested late, but the crop looks good for most commodities this fall. A late spring delayed planting for just about all crops this year, but a moderate summer without too much rain or heat, allowed fruit to fill out and most fields are sporting good yields in soybeans, […]
MACON, Ga. – Recently, consumers across the nation have grown more aware of our nation’s food system and the variety of health and economic dilemmas that go with it. And a Mississippi man who has put down roots in Georgia is doing his part to make a difference in the way we eat, one steak […]
BUCKHORN – Joe Weldon, 69, went to be home with his Lord and Savior on Sunday, March 17, 2013, at North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo. He was born in Calhoun County, to Estelle and Major Weldon. He married Bobbie Taylor Weldon on Dec. 20, 1964. He was a loving husband, father, grandfather and friend […]
ABERDEEN — Court records say a father and son will plead guilty to hiding the sales of cattle and using fake invoices to avoid paying back a federal loan. A filing in U.S. District Court in Aberdeen says Clint Mann was scheduled for a change of plea hearing on Wednesday. His father Don is scheduled […]
- CRIME ROUNDUP: Houston resident arrested for sexual assault May 16, 2015
- Blissard is 4A state tennis champ May 19, 2015
- COPES: Super Moms honored May 20, 2015
- HELP WANTED: Mentors, volunteers sought for COPES May 20, 2015
- Big fish, big smile May 20, 2015
- Houlka Homecoming 2015 is this weekend May 22, 2015
- Houston aldermen discuss Park & Recreation funds May 22, 2015
- East Webster toppled by inside-the-park HR in Game Two May 21, 2015
- Okolona graduates urged to excel May 21, 2015
- Police seek Dollar General bandit May 21, 2015
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- Tg007.net: if you want the town to grow stop taxing the busin...
- i’m engaged, you can be too | architecture | equality: […] the design and related impacts of a new...
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...