By JB Clark Daily Journal CEDAR BLUFF – Two Clay County farmers are changing the way people think about livestock farming and in the process, they hope, changing the state’s regulations for the way small farmers sell their meat. Ali Fratesi, 27, and Dustin Pinion, 28, raise chickens and pigs at Beaverdam Fresh Farms a […]
Tag Archives | Cattle
HOUSTON – Almost a century ago Congress established the Cooperative Extension Service to link the nation’s agricultural research universities to farms and farmers – and that assistance continues to this day. The Chickasaw County Extension Service will host an open house at its offices at 415 Lee Horn Drive from 1 to 3 p.m. Thursday […]
JACKSON – After testing, interviewing and showing at Dixie National competition, C.J. Weddle of Vardaman brought home a nice prize. Weddle was named Premier Exhibitor for showing goats and was awarded a $2,000 scholarship to the college of her choice. The Vardaman High School freshman still has a few years to decide where to use […]
HOUSTON — Earvin Joseph “E.J.” Earnest, 85, died Monday, Jan. 27, 2014, at Floy Dyer Manor in Houston. He was born March 16, 1928, in Houston. He married his wife of 62 years, Louise Lowry Earnest, on Sept. 16, 1951. He moved to the Sparta Community in Chickasaw County and with his wife worked many […]
Jolly honored by Farm Bureau Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Sen. Russell Jolly of Houston is the Mississippi Farm Bureau Federation’s 2013 Friend of Agriculture for the Mississippi Senate. The presentation was made during the organization’s annual meeting in December. Sen. Jolly represents Dist. 8, consisting of Chickasaw, Calhoun, Grenada and […]
WEST POINT – Harold Max Colbert passed away Tuesday, Dec. 24, 2013, at his residence in Cedar Bluff at the age of 81. He was born Aug. 11, 1932, in West Point to Harold Lee Colbert and Maxine Holmes. He served 20 years in the U.S. Army and retired as a Lieutenant Colonel and fought […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – Farmers planted late and harvested late, but the crop looks good for most commodities this fall. A late spring delayed planting for just about all crops this year, but a moderate summer without too much rain or heat, allowed fruit to fill out and most fields are sporting good yields in soybeans, […]
MACON, Ga. – Recently, consumers across the nation have grown more aware of our nation’s food system and the variety of health and economic dilemmas that go with it. And a Mississippi man who has put down roots in Georgia is doing his part to make a difference in the way we eat, one steak […]
BUCKHORN – Joe Weldon, 69, went to be home with his Lord and Savior on Sunday, March 17, 2013, at North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo. He was born in Calhoun County, to Estelle and Major Weldon. He married Bobbie Taylor Weldon on Dec. 20, 1964. He was a loving husband, father, grandfather and friend […]
ABERDEEN — Court records say a father and son will plead guilty to hiding the sales of cattle and using fake invoices to avoid paying back a federal loan. A filing in U.S. District Court in Aberdeen says Clint Mann was scheduled for a change of plea hearing on Wednesday. His father Don is scheduled […]
- Houlka Community Thanksgiving is Nov. 22 November 19, 2014
- BILLY McCORD: As I see it November 23, 2014
- A golfer’s tale November 23, 2014
- Houston ready for tipoff and tournament November 23, 2014
- Chieftains to stand tall on court November 24, 2014
- Come in from the cold November 26, 2014
- Mississippi producing big bucks November 25, 2014
- CHICKASAW COUNTY: Luther wins Circuit Judge, Pettit wins Houston trustee November 25, 2014
- Houlka ready for another run this season November 25, 2014
- Bells will be ringing November 25, 2014
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- Sad for Our Kids: Bravo! You've done your job as an advocate for a...
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...