By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – More than 136 kids and parents lined the bank at Legion Lake Saturday to try and catch 200 catfish put in the water with more than 190 reeled from the lake by excited kids. The Second Annual Chickasaw Development Foundation/Mississippi Department of Wildlife Fisheries and Parks fishing rodeo […]
Tag Archives | Catfish
JACKSON –Youth 15 years and younger are invited to a youth fishing rodeo at the Grenada Lake catfish ponds beginning at 8 a.m. on Saturday, June 13. The free event is hosted by U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP). The Grenada Lake catfish ponds are […]
ABERDEEN – On May 22, the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP) stocked approximately 2,500 Florida-strain largemouth bass into Lake Monroe near Aberdeen. “Florida-strain largemouth bass are typically more aggressive, and grow faster than the northern strain largemouth bass,” says MDWFP Fisheries Biologist Tyler Stubbs. “Stocking rates were decreased to help promote […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON – A tradition unlike any other began this month. Grabbling, handgrabbing, handfishing, or noodling – whatever you call it – catching catfish with your hands is a popular way of fishing for a lot of Mississippians. The season opens May 1 and runs through July […]
HOUSTON – The Flywheel Festival unfolds Friday and Saturday in Houston with lots of food, fun and quality entertainment. The 33nd annual Mississippi Valley Flywheel Spring Festival will be held April 25-26 in Joe Brigance Park and kicks off with a boom at the anvil shoot at 11 a.m. “We started doing the anvil shoot […]
by Sarah Robinson/NEMS Daily Journal EGYPT – Unlike many Northeast Mississippi farmers, Brent Weedle didn’t get into the business because of family ties. “I just got this brainwave to try it,” Weedle said. And he’s not a typical grower, either. Weedle is a catfish farmer. Not growing up in the industry, he learned much of […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Houston Band Boosters will host their annual fish fry fundraiser on March 8 and is asking the community to purchase their tickets as soon as possible. The Friday night event will see Seafood Junction once again cook up to-go plates at Houston Middle School from 4 […]
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The best we can produce May 27, 2016
- BIRTH: John Wyatt Parker May 28, 2016
- Moore signs with Miss. Delta CC May 30, 2016
- Houlka presents summer programs May 30, 2016
- CARA CHISOLM: There is a reason for Memorial Day May 29, 2016
- Houston Solar Car honored by Legislature May 29, 2016
- NANCY LOOME: Flat appropriations hurt schools May 28, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...