By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – More than 136 kids and parents lined the bank at Legion Lake Saturday to try and catch 200 catfish put in the water with more than 190 reeled from the lake by excited kids. The Second Annual Chickasaw Development Foundation/Mississippi Department of Wildlife Fisheries and Parks fishing rodeo […]
Tag Archives | Catfish
JACKSON –Youth 15 years and younger are invited to a youth fishing rodeo at the Grenada Lake catfish ponds beginning at 8 a.m. on Saturday, June 13. The free event is hosted by U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP). The Grenada Lake catfish ponds are […]
ABERDEEN – On May 22, the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP) stocked approximately 2,500 Florida-strain largemouth bass into Lake Monroe near Aberdeen. “Florida-strain largemouth bass are typically more aggressive, and grow faster than the northern strain largemouth bass,” says MDWFP Fisheries Biologist Tyler Stubbs. “Stocking rates were decreased to help promote […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON – A tradition unlike any other began this month. Grabbling, handgrabbing, handfishing, or noodling – whatever you call it – catching catfish with your hands is a popular way of fishing for a lot of Mississippians. The season opens May 1 and runs through July […]
HOUSTON – The Flywheel Festival unfolds Friday and Saturday in Houston with lots of food, fun and quality entertainment. The 33nd annual Mississippi Valley Flywheel Spring Festival will be held April 25-26 in Joe Brigance Park and kicks off with a boom at the anvil shoot at 11 a.m. “We started doing the anvil shoot […]
by Sarah Robinson/NEMS Daily Journal EGYPT – Unlike many Northeast Mississippi farmers, Brent Weedle didn’t get into the business because of family ties. “I just got this brainwave to try it,” Weedle said. And he’s not a typical grower, either. Weedle is a catfish farmer. Not growing up in the industry, he learned much of […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Houston Band Boosters will host their annual fish fry fundraiser on March 8 and is asking the community to purchase their tickets as soon as possible. The Friday night event will see Seafood Junction once again cook up to-go plates at Houston Middle School from 4 […]
- WEEK 7: High School Football Scores October 3, 2015
- Aberdeen embracing blues with annual Bukka White Blues Festival October 7, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Excellence in all things October 8, 2015
- Houlka teacher waives probable cause hearing October 8, 2015
- Volunteers spruce up Tanglefoot Trail October 8, 2015
- SONNY SCOTT: History as philosophy. Read it! October 10, 2015
- Former MSU great Goode dies at 76 October 9, 2015
- WEEK 8: High School Football Capsules October 9, 2015
- McClain invites friends to Troy October 9, 2015
- Signs of history October 9, 2015
- Gilbie Rivas: Hey ideas - I was enlightened by the info , Does a...
- George Edgar Worley: See Sparethekids.com and BeatingBlackKids.com for ...
- George Edgar Worley: WATCH Montel Williams on School Paddling of Studen...
- George Edgar Worley: #BlackLivesMatter ? #srebeducation Students to Sch...
- George Edgar Worley: WATCH Documentary Exposes the Brutally Violent TRU...