GREENWOOD – Cortez Moss began to fully understand the importance of education at the end of his third grade year in Calhoun City. On the final day of school, he received a report card saying he would not be promoted to fourth grade. The note was an error, corrected after his mom brought the school […]
Tag Archives | Calhoun
TUPELO – Arlie Mae Grady, 84, died Sunday, April 14, 2013, at Sanctuary Hospice House following an extended illness. She was born in Itawamba County on Nov. 16, 1927, to Isom Hadaway and Erin Perry Hadaway. She graduated from Smithville High School and married the love of her life, Buford Grady. They made their home […]
ABERDEEN – Terral Reese Jr., 71, died on Wednesday, March 27, 2013, at the Gilmore Memorial Regional Medical Center in Amory. Born Oct. 24, 1941, in Hamilton, he was a son of the late Terral and Mittie Mae Wolf Reese. He was a member of the Holiness church. He enjoyed hunting, fishing, racing, spending time […]
FAYETTE, Ala. — Geneva Shackelford Funeral services for Mrs. Geneva Lucill Lucius Shackelford, age 79, of Fayette, Ala., formerly of Shannon, Miss., will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday, March 30, 2013, at Doty Chapel Baptist Church. Bro. John Kitchens, pastor of Covin Baptist church where Mrs. Shackelford was a devoted member, will be officiating. […]
CALHOUN CITY – Betty Anne Sims Vance, 65, died Wednesday, March 20, 2013, at North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo. She was born July 21, 1947, in Calhoun City to James Sims and Betty Murphy Sims. She was a homemaker and a member of Pleasant Hill Baptist Church. Services will be at 2 p.m. Friday […]
HOUSTON – Chickasaw County’s jobless rate climbed to 13.4 percent in January and is now one of the highest in Northeast Mississippi. Surrounding counties also saw higher unemployment rates as ag-related businesses and farms experience the winter slowdown that idles many who work in fields and forest the rest of the year. Chickasaw’s jobless rate […]
JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — A Mississippi man’s conviction in the death of Dutch cyclist Esther Hageman on the Natchez Trace Parkway has been upheld by a federal appeals court panel. In 2010, Wendell G. Blount was sentenced to 10 years in prison for vehicular manslaughter in the 2009 death of Hageman. Federal prosecutors said Blount […]
TUPELO – Martha Jean Lucius, 74, died Tuesday, Feb. 26, 2013, at the North Mississippi Medical Center. A native of Calhoun County, she was born Aug. 11, 1938, to the Rev. Wilson and Pansy Ramsey Long. She was a homemaker and loved caring for children, the elderly and the sick, flowers, cooking for her family […]
BRUCE – Euphus Dwight Ruth, 84, died Tuesday, Dec. 18, 2012, at home. He was born Sept. 22, 1928, in the Old Town community in Calhoun County. He was a member of First Baptist Church in Bruce. He was a 1947 graduate of Bruce High School and a U.S. Navy veteran of the Korean conflict. […]
- Snag it November 19, 2015
- Judgment and experience November 21, 2015
- Welcome home! November 22, 2015
- WEDDING: Rushing / King November 22, 2015
- Houlka Trustees address leave, texting policy November 23, 2015
- FBI to investigate incident at Ole Miss game November 25, 2015
- Mennonite conference bringing influx of visitors to downtown Tupelo November 25, 2015
- MSU Alumni Association announces 2015-16 student delegates, officers November 25, 2015
- Okolona urges parents to keep kids in school November 24, 2015
- Parents reminded that school attendance is mandatory November 24, 2015
- Harvey Birdman, Esq.: You're going to rely on 90's era litigation in o...
- Firebug2006: "What will be law here, is an impossibly, deliber...
- Harvey Birdman, Esq.: The petition suggests a phase-in period, but the p...
- Nancy Young: Thank you for your lifelong support of public educ...
- DENICE ANNA CONEY: Just what I was looking for. That helped me a lot....