CHICKASAW COUNTY – A man and a child were hurt in a one-vehicle accident that saw a car run off the road, flip and then catch fire. The Chickasaw County Sheriff’s Department was called to County Road 406 in Trebloc last week with the driver airlifted to North Mississippi Medical Center and an 8-year-old male […]
Tag Archives | Boy
HOUSTON – The discovery of an abandoned child in Houston Friday night has prompted felony child abuse charges against a local woman. Cora Lynn Watkins, 25, of Houston, has been charged with abandonment of a child under the age of six and felony abuse of a child. Police were waiting Monday for Watkins to be […]
HOUSTON – “You do not know until you get there what you will do,” Lori Harrington said emphatically. “Don’t ever say you know what you’d do in a situation – or what your kids would do – because you don’t until it happens.” Harrington didn’t know what she’d do if she found herself pregnant at […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – When a teenage girl and guy find out they are pregnant, they need help. Pregnant teens need lots of support, including social, medical, emotional and academic support. And it comes from family, school, church and the government. The statistics and stories published by the Chickasaw Journal over the past three weeks repeatedly […]
I’ve held a number of titles in my years. Reporter, Editor, Publisher, General Manager, Scoutmaster, R.A. Leader, Finance Committee Chairman, apprentice roofer and CDL certified truck driver. Some were more highfaluting than others, some paid better and all satisfied in one way or another. But my favorite title is Dad. No pay comes with that […]
HOUSTON – At 17, Lakyn Shempert’s plans for the future seemed to be coming together smoothly. The Houston senior had been scouted by community college softball coaches and planned to attend Northeast Mississippi Community College and either cheer or play ball. When she found out she was pregnant, all her plans went on hold. “I […]
HOUSTON – Boys from first grade through age 10 can find entertaining and educational activities every week at the Scout Hut in Houston. Cub Scout Master, Greg Simmons, said currently there are two packs of Scouts and enrollment is still open for 2014. Simmons has a history in Scouting and is ready to share it […]
By CODY VOYLES Hometown Correspondent STARKVILLE – Thirty-six Boy Scouts and four adult leaders left July 14 for the National Scout Jamboree at the brand new Summit Bechtel Reserve near Beckley, W. Va. This is a contingent Troop made up of Boy Scouts from across the Pushmataha Area Council with Scouts attending from Columbus, […]
HOUSTON – Some children and youth struggle with their plans for adulthood, but Tyler Thomas has already set his cap for the future. Thomas, 7, states emphatically he wants to be a policeman when he grows up and has already made friends on the force in Houston. “Every time he sees us, he’s just fascinated,” […]
HOUSTON – Good food and good fellowship for a good cause are the focus of a Boy Scout fundraiser set for next week. The Pushmataha Council of Boy Scouts of America will host its annual fundraiser and meal at 6 p.m. Tuesday, March 19, in the Training Room of the Houston Fire Department in downtown […]
- Houlka Community Thanksgiving is Nov. 22 November 19, 2014
- BILLY McCORD: As I see it November 23, 2014
- A golfer’s tale November 23, 2014
- Houston ready for tipoff and tournament November 23, 2014
- Chieftains to stand tall on court November 24, 2014
- Rams to hoop it up in Vardaman November 26, 2014
- Come in from the cold November 26, 2014
- Mississippi producing big bucks November 25, 2014
- CHICKASAW COUNTY: Luther wins Circuit Judge, Pettit wins Houston trustee November 25, 2014
- Houlka ready for another run this season November 25, 2014
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- Sad for Our Kids: Bravo! You've done your job as an advocate for a...
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...