You would think now that school baseball and softball, tennis, golf and track have wrapped up, things would slow down a little bit in the Sports department of the good, old Chickasaw Journal. You would be wrong. I used to think that, too. We spend so much time covering events at and related to our […]
Tag Archives | bike
The Itawamba Community College Foundation will host a bike-riding event to raise money for student scholarships. The “Riding Tanglefoot Trail” event will be May 3, with registration beginning at 7:30 a.m. in Pontotoc, where cyclists will begin and end. The event will go from 8 a.m. until 3:30 p.m., with participants going as far as […]
HOULKA – Thousands of people have already walked, run and cycled the Tanglefoot Trail and Houlka is trying to get a few of them to stop and spend a few dollars downtown. The CREATE Community Guidance Class at Mississippi State University has developed a project aimed at pointing Trail Trekers to the businesses and stores […]
PONTOTOC – Less than six months after its official opening, the Tanglefoot Trail is slated to host several athletic events this spring. The 44-mile paved trail that succeeds the historic GM&O Railroad will host the Altis Endurance Marathon and Half-Marathon on March 30. The event will begin and end in Houston, at the trail’s […]
HOUSTON – Peddling 80 miles on his 80th birthday is no big deal to Bob Chamblee. Chamblee and his cycling buddies hopped on the Tanglefoot Trail this weekend and rode from Houston to New Albany – and back – to mark Chamblee’s special day. “This is the first time I have done this much,” […]
HOUSTON – Tim and Liz Dorgan may have been the first to officially cycle the Tanglefoot Trail and it brought them to Houston last week for supper, cycling, a good night’s sleep and little shopping. The Dorgans are on a fall trek of the Natchez Trace and made a special trip to Houston last week […]
ECRU – Bikers and joggers took advantage of the Tanglefoot Trail’s first official open weekend Saturday. The trail runs from New Albany to Houston, along the old Mississippi Tennessee Railroad line. Tony Moore, pastor of Watchman Baptist Church in Thaxton, rode the 9-mile round trip from Ecru to Ingomar with his family Saturday morning. The […]
Melissa Merrill and 28 other cyclists peddled 50 miles Wednesday, spent the night in Houston and then woke up Thursday to help build a house. The group was part of the Fuller Center for Housing spring ride on the Natchez Trace with Parkway Baptist Church feeding them and letting them sleep in their Family Life […]
Tanglefoot Trail will officially open later this year with a steady flow of people walking, hiking and biking this path too and from Houston. Trail advocates have estimated it could see up to 100,000 users each year as word of this tourism draw spreads. That same study estimates Tanglefoot Trail could have an estimated economic […]
- Winter lingers in Chickasaw County February 27, 2015
- Chickasaw United Way allocates dollars March 3, 2015
- Another winter storm may await March 3, 2015
- Mitchell Adair named Hinds 2014 graduate March 3, 2015
- Habitat seeks potential homeowners March 4, 2015
- Snow! And lots of it March 5, 2015
- On to Jackson March 5, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: The snowstorm of 2015 March 5, 2015
- Fifty-three throw hat in the ring March 5, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Who deserves your vote? March 5, 2015
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...