One of my very favorite trees in this area is the “River Birch.” It is cherished because of the beautiful flakey white bark that it exhibits year ’round and because its leaf foliage is of such a nature that grass will grow under it. The other day as I tipped several limbs that were too […]
Tag Archives | Band
Houston Topper Pride Band will host a Seafood Junction dinner Feb. 7 as a fund raising event for the band programs. The cost is $12 per plate for fish or chicken, with fries, slaw and hush puppies. Meals are take-out only. Plates will be available at the Houston Middle School cafeteria. Advance tickets can be […]
OKOLONA – The weather was perfect Monday night as more than 50 units took part in the Okolona Christmas Parade. The theme of this year’s parade was “I’ll Be Home For Christmas” and saw a variety of floats, walking troops, car clubs and two bands march down Main Street. “I thought the crowd was good […]
KEY GAMES Calhoun City (4-3, 1-0) at East Webster (6-1, 0-1) THE BUZZ: Division 4-2A game. … Last played in 2010, a Calhoun City win. … Calhoun City RB Lavorious Varnado rushed for 69 yards and 2 TDs in a win at Bruce. … East Webster QB Jack Wilson rushed for 1 TD and threw […]
HOUSTON – It was a tough week for the Hilltoppers but they pulled it all together Friday night to beat division foe Caledonia, 13-0. Houston (1-6, 1-0) used a strong defense to hold the Confederates (2-4, 0-1) scoreless and to also put points on the board. All of the game’s scoring came in the second […]
HOUSTON – They are the people who teach in the classrooms, coach on the field and handle administrative duties in the office and they are the most important people in the Houston School District. The Houston School Board has hired teachers and approved resignations and changes in schools around the district in preparation for the […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Eight members of the Houston Middle School band were awarded for achievement following the HMS spring concert. The band is under the direction of William Shirey and Josh Robinson and is comprised of sixth, seventh and eighth grade students. Students who received awards include: Beginning band most improved […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Houston High School Topper Pride band was honored with their annual banquet April 23 at the Civic Center. The band competed at the Mississippi High School Activities Association/Mississippi Bandmaster’s Concert band evaluation in February where they were the only 4A school to score a superior rating in […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Houston Band Boosters will host their annual fish fry fundraiser on March 8 and is asking the community to purchase their tickets as soon as possible. The Friday night event will see Seafood Junction once again cook up to-go plates at Houston Middle School from 4 […]
HOUSTON – He grew up in Chickasaw County but his music and his message is aimed at an audience that has grown to become the largest concert tour in the world each winter. NewSong drummer Jack Pumphrey was raised in Houston and he will take the stage at Winter Jam in Tupelo Thursday night along […]
- Parents can be fined for truancy July 30, 2014
- UPDATE: Nineteen arrested in Itawamba drug sting July 25, 2014
- Reach, throw, row, go! July 29, 2014
- Required Vaccinations July 29, 2014
- Area school dress code policies July 30, 2014
- Crime Roundup July 31, 2014
- Lonnie Whitt remembered as man who served. July 31, 2014
- FLOYD INGRAM: What I like about Houston July 31, 2014
- EDITORIAL: Fourteen in a row! July 31, 2014
- Mississippi’s best and brightest July 31, 2014
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...
- Pat Southerland: It is interesting to see that Mrs. Dendy is resign...
- Michael Mcalpin: So glad to have this service back locally....
- Pat Burgess: Congratulations to Jim for the award and for all t...
- Chip Ingram: My son Daniel was given a Bobbie Gentry album by ...