One of my very favorite trees in this area is the “River Birch.” It is cherished because of the beautiful flakey white bark that it exhibits year ’round and because its leaf foliage is of such a nature that grass will grow under it. The other day as I tipped several limbs that were too […]
Tag Archives | Band
Houston Topper Pride Band will host a Seafood Junction dinner Feb. 7 as a fund raising event for the band programs. The cost is $12 per plate for fish or chicken, with fries, slaw and hush puppies. Meals are take-out only. Plates will be available at the Houston Middle School cafeteria. Advance tickets can be […]
OKOLONA – The weather was perfect Monday night as more than 50 units took part in the Okolona Christmas Parade. The theme of this year’s parade was “I’ll Be Home For Christmas” and saw a variety of floats, walking troops, car clubs and two bands march down Main Street. “I thought the crowd was good […]
KEY GAMES Calhoun City (4-3, 1-0) at East Webster (6-1, 0-1) THE BUZZ: Division 4-2A game. … Last played in 2010, a Calhoun City win. … Calhoun City RB Lavorious Varnado rushed for 69 yards and 2 TDs in a win at Bruce. … East Webster QB Jack Wilson rushed for 1 TD and threw […]
HOUSTON – It was a tough week for the Hilltoppers but they pulled it all together Friday night to beat division foe Caledonia, 13-0. Houston (1-6, 1-0) used a strong defense to hold the Confederates (2-4, 0-1) scoreless and to also put points on the board. All of the game’s scoring came in the second […]
HOUSTON – They are the people who teach in the classrooms, coach on the field and handle administrative duties in the office and they are the most important people in the Houston School District. The Houston School Board has hired teachers and approved resignations and changes in schools around the district in preparation for the […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Eight members of the Houston Middle School band were awarded for achievement following the HMS spring concert. The band is under the direction of William Shirey and Josh Robinson and is comprised of sixth, seventh and eighth grade students. Students who received awards include: Beginning band most improved […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Houston High School Topper Pride band was honored with their annual banquet April 23 at the Civic Center. The band competed at the Mississippi High School Activities Association/Mississippi Bandmaster’s Concert band evaluation in February where they were the only 4A school to score a superior rating in […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Houston Band Boosters will host their annual fish fry fundraiser on March 8 and is asking the community to purchase their tickets as soon as possible. The Friday night event will see Seafood Junction once again cook up to-go plates at Houston Middle School from 4 […]
HOUSTON – He grew up in Chickasaw County but his music and his message is aimed at an audience that has grown to become the largest concert tour in the world each winter. NewSong drummer Jack Pumphrey was raised in Houston and he will take the stage at Winter Jam in Tupelo Thursday night along […]
- City Clerk resumes reviewed August 18, 2014
- Color For A Cause seeks runners August 20, 2014
- School bells ring at Houlka August 14, 2014
- City changes procedures for Parks & Rec cash receipts August 18, 2014
- CDF lands Carl Small Town Center help August 19, 2014
- WEEK ONE: High school football schedules August 21, 2014
- Mobile Vet Center coming to Houston August 21, 2014
- Houston runs over Bessemer August 21, 2014
- BROWN: LETTER TO THE EDITOR August 21, 2014
- INGRAM: Paying the price at the pump August 21, 2014
- Carol Mac: I went to the Tupelo run, and I have some advice f...
- Candace R.: If that isn't nepotism, what is??? The solution ...
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...
- Pat Southerland: It is interesting to see that Mrs. Dendy is resign...
- Michael Mcalpin: So glad to have this service back locally....