OKOLONA – Pulitzer Prize winning author and Okolona native William Raspberry had a passion for urging young African-American men to step up and be leaders for their community. And he believed in starting early. “Mr. Raspberry came from a strong home where children had strong role models and where reading and education were important,” said […]
Tag Archives | Baby Steps
OKOLONA – Rev. Lesley Mabry said his children are fortunate to have a mother and father in the home but he pointed to hundreds of homes in Chickasaw County and thousands of homes across the state headed by a single mom. “Men have relinquished their responsibility to be the leader and the head of their […]
Our Sons, Our Future, Our Story “Embracing Young Males of Color” program will be held on Satuday at the Okolona City Auditorium from 10 to 11:30 a.m. The guest speaker will be Reverend Lesley Mabry. For more information, please contact at 662-447-5040. Related articles Native Son Questions: February 24th Jessie Gate Morning Prayer 2.25.14: John […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – The father often plays a shadowy role in the bulk of teen pregnancies, but the numbers show that when men are active fathers the child, the mother and the man all do better. There was a day and age of shotgun weddings and social rules that said a boy and girl […]
OKOLONA – The focus of Monday’s Martin Luther King Day celebration was service to the community and nation. “Greatness comes from a willingness to serve,” said Rev. Dr. Clementine Mays, keynote speaker at this year’s celebration. “Sometimes you have to stand up and do it by yourself and sometimes you have to be willing to […]
OKOLONA – Pulitzer Prize winning journalist Williams Raspberry would not be surprised with the success of Baby Steps in just ten short years because he planned it that way. Baby Steps celebrated its 10th anniversary Saturday at the little blue house in Okolona with a bounce-house, snacks and lots of information for parents and kids […]
BabySteps, Inc., will celebrate their tenth anniversary Sept. 21 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. with games, jumpers, music, face painting and educational activities for children and parents. Refreshments will be served and teh community is invited to attend the event at 506 West Monroe Avenue in Okolona. BabySteps, Inc., offers educational preparation to children […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – The children and staff at BabySteps, Inc., in Okolona have been spending this summer expanding their horizons through reading. The summer reading theme is “Great Books for Great Children,” and the group started off the first week of June reading “Whistle for Willie.” The book introduces a little […]
OKOLONA – It is a simple solution to a serious problem and all it takes is a little time and patience. The Fourth Annual Fishing With Fathers saw dozens of dads take part in a fishing expedition just outside of Okolona Saturday morning with kids getting a chance to fish and fathers and […]
Baby Steps, Inc., is sponsoring the annual Fishing with Fathers event June 22 from 8:30-10:30 a.m. at the home of Omar Moore in the Darden Community. The event is for all fathers, grandfathers, mentors and a male caregivers of children ages 3-8. All children must be accompanied by an adult. Bring your own poles and […]
- EDITORIAL: Emergency Service September 11, 2014
- Gore named ICC’s Sports Information Director September 10, 2014
- Ex-Ranger Donald Hawkins signed by Dallas Cowboys September 13, 2014
- BIRTH: Reagan Brooke Murphree September 13, 2014
- 2014 Okolona Homecoming Court September 14, 2014
- Liquor defeated, beer apparently approved in Pontotoc September 17, 2014
- ICC Adult Learner scholars September 16, 2014
- County opens bids for AgriCenter roof September 16, 2014
- Rebels on road to open SEC hoops September 15, 2014
- City changes procedures for Parks & Rec cash receipts September 15, 2014
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- Carol Mac: I went to the Tupelo run, and I have some advice f...
- Candace R.: If that isn't nepotism, what is??? The solution ...
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...