HOUSTON – Two local student athletes made a trip to Atlanta, Ga., recently for the World Wood Bat National Championship and they were in good company. Houston’s Luke Hancock and Tanner Smith joined over 3,500 players from 184 teams in the pool-play tournament. The boys play with the P360 Elite 15U team based out of […]
Tag Archives | Atlanta
HOUSTON – Austin Marshall has always planned to live life to the fullest and now he has a little help. Marshall, a Houston native and senior at Mississippi State University, was raised as a normal child but his blindness presented challenges as he moved about this world. “My parents raised me as a sighted child […]
A summer storm Sunday afternoon saw dime-size hail reported in Houston and larger hail falling in Anchor. Linda Griffin, Director of the Chickasaw County Emergency Management Agency, golf-ball size hail was reported in Anchor with minor damage reported to buildings, cars and gardens. “There were a few vehicles reporting damage and the skylight at the […]
By Robbie Ward Daily Journal TUPELO – Tupelo Police Sgt. Gale Stauffer’s widow and mother joined hands Sunday morning as they entered the BancorpSouth Arena to gather in a circle with other family and Tupelo police officers to pray. Minutes later, they stood alongside FBI Special Agent in Charge for Mississippi Daniel McMullen as he […]
TUPELO – Joseph Webster “”Joe”” Gary, 86, born, April 4, 1927, in Byram to Albert West Gary and Allie Robinson Gary went to be with his Lord and Savior on Saturday, Dec. 21, 2013, after a lengthy battle with cancer. He passed away peacefully, surrounded by his daughters, Lynn and JoAnn, as well as extended […]
HOUSTON – Top talent from around Northeast Mississippi performed beyond expectations Saturday at the inaugural Chickasaw County Instrumental Festival at Joe Brigance Park. The stage saw musicians from Tupelo, Atlanta, Ole Miss and Itawamba Community College wow the crowd with their ability to play just about everything from a steel drum and bass guitar to […]
by Leslie Criss NEMS Daily Journal It was 1967, and our smal l-town Mississippi lives seemed peaceful, though we were in the midst of a war in a place called Vietnam. Our days were divided, unevenly, between learning in classrooms and playing hard during recess. At night, we watched family-friendly TV, some of us still […]
ATLANTA – Bessie Gilliam, a native of Okolona, died Sunday, April 28, 2013, in Atlanta. Services will be today in Atlanta. Visitation will be from 2 to 4 p.m. Saturday at St. Episcopal Church in Okolona. Burial will be at 4 p.m. Saturday in Odd Fellows Cemetery. Williams Memorial of Okolona is in charge of […]
ATLANTA – Bessie Gilliam died Sunday, April 28, 2013, in Atlanta, Ga. Arrangements are incomplete and will be announced later by Williams Memorial Funeral Home of Okolona.
HOUSTON – He grew up in Chickasaw County but his music and his message is aimed at an audience that has grown to become the largest concert tour in the world each winter. NewSong drummer Jack Pumphrey was raised in Houston and he will take the stage at Winter Jam in Tupelo Thursday night along […]
- Houlka’s Hobson on rise July 29, 2015
- Houlka aldermen updated on water, sewer issues July 31, 2015
- NCAA charges Southern Miss, Tyndall August 1, 2015
- Wake up America, move forward August 1, 2015
- Mayors takes issue with column August 1, 2015
- Bowens, Gladney lift in Las Vegas August 4, 2015
- Back to School Calendar! August 3, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: A hot political summer August 3, 2015
- School immunization required August 2, 2015
- 2015-16 Back to School Supply lists for Houlka, Houston, Okolona August 2, 2015
- Jimmie Hardin: I for one cared that it was a week late. I live in...
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- Greg Schmidt: This is good news because this is one of the most ...
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...