HOUSTON – Two local student athletes made a trip to Atlanta, Ga., recently for the World Wood Bat National Championship and they were in good company. Houston’s Luke Hancock and Tanner Smith joined over 3,500 players from 184 teams in the pool-play tournament. The boys play with the P360 Elite 15U team based out of […]
Tag Archives | Atlanta
HOUSTON – Austin Marshall has always planned to live life to the fullest and now he has a little help. Marshall, a Houston native and senior at Mississippi State University, was raised as a normal child but his blindness presented challenges as he moved about this world. “My parents raised me as a sighted child […]
A summer storm Sunday afternoon saw dime-size hail reported in Houston and larger hail falling in Anchor. Linda Griffin, Director of the Chickasaw County Emergency Management Agency, golf-ball size hail was reported in Anchor with minor damage reported to buildings, cars and gardens. “There were a few vehicles reporting damage and the skylight at the […]
By Robbie Ward Daily Journal TUPELO – Tupelo Police Sgt. Gale Stauffer’s widow and mother joined hands Sunday morning as they entered the BancorpSouth Arena to gather in a circle with other family and Tupelo police officers to pray. Minutes later, they stood alongside FBI Special Agent in Charge for Mississippi Daniel McMullen as he […]
TUPELO – Joseph Webster “”Joe”” Gary, 86, born, April 4, 1927, in Byram to Albert West Gary and Allie Robinson Gary went to be with his Lord and Savior on Saturday, Dec. 21, 2013, after a lengthy battle with cancer. He passed away peacefully, surrounded by his daughters, Lynn and JoAnn, as well as extended […]
HOUSTON – Top talent from around Northeast Mississippi performed beyond expectations Saturday at the inaugural Chickasaw County Instrumental Festival at Joe Brigance Park. The stage saw musicians from Tupelo, Atlanta, Ole Miss and Itawamba Community College wow the crowd with their ability to play just about everything from a steel drum and bass guitar to […]
by Leslie Criss NEMS Daily Journal It was 1967, and our smal l-town Mississippi lives seemed peaceful, though we were in the midst of a war in a place called Vietnam. Our days were divided, unevenly, between learning in classrooms and playing hard during recess. At night, we watched family-friendly TV, some of us still […]
ATLANTA – Bessie Gilliam, a native of Okolona, died Sunday, April 28, 2013, in Atlanta. Services will be today in Atlanta. Visitation will be from 2 to 4 p.m. Saturday at St. Episcopal Church in Okolona. Burial will be at 4 p.m. Saturday in Odd Fellows Cemetery. Williams Memorial of Okolona is in charge of […]
ATLANTA – Bessie Gilliam died Sunday, April 28, 2013, in Atlanta, Ga. Arrangements are incomplete and will be announced later by Williams Memorial Funeral Home of Okolona.
HOUSTON – He grew up in Chickasaw County but his music and his message is aimed at an audience that has grown to become the largest concert tour in the world each winter. NewSong drummer Jack Pumphrey was raised in Houston and he will take the stage at Winter Jam in Tupelo Thursday night along […]
- Keep it quiet! November 18, 2014
- Floy Dyer serving community seniors November 22, 2014
- WEEK 14: High school football playoff scores November 22, 2014
- Mississippi jobless rate at 7.6 percent in October November 22, 2014
- Brand, Wright honored by ICC November 22, 2014
- ICC scholarships awarded to local students November 24, 2014
- Trustees, judges on ballot November 24, 2014
- Chieftains to stand tall on court November 24, 2014
- Houston ready for tipoff and tournament November 23, 2014
- A golfer’s tale November 23, 2014
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- Sad for Our Kids: Bravo! You've done your job as an advocate for a...
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...