I hung an American Flag up at my house Monday. It will stay up 24-hours a day, seven-days a week. Yes, I was a Boy Scout. And, yes I know flags are to be taken down at dusk and raised every morning at dawn – unless artificially lighted at night. I once pointed out this […]
Tag Archives | American
HOUSTON – Cancer touches everybody’s lives. The American Cancer Society estimates one-in-four people will be diagnosed with some type of cancer during their lifetime and Chickasaw County Relay for Life is asking the community to come to Joe Brignance Park Friday night and help them bring that number down. “If you have not been touched […]
Hassell H. Franklin, the founder, chairman and CEO of Franklin Corp., was among three industry leaders inducted into the American Furniture Hall of Fame. Franklin was inducted along with John D. Bassett III, chairman of Vaughan-Bassett Furniture; and Eugene Rosenberg, a founder of Bob’s Discount Furniture and Planned Furniture Promotion. The trio joined 91 other […]
Dear Editor, Fortunately for law abiding citizens the shameful and unconscionable efforts to the president and others to exploit the murder of American children for political gain recently failed in the Senate. However, the issue of the safety of American school children remains an issue which our government has a duty to address. Responsible citizens […]
HOUSTON – There is a right way to do things in this world. The Houston Pilot Club, VFW Post 7149 and American Legion Post 95 helped dispose of a massive garrison or Holiday Flag at their annual flag retirement ceremony at Joe Brigance Park on Flag Day June 15. “Etiquette says you are not to […]
If you take a close look at most calendars, many of the dates have notations of their special significance. Many of these dates are special dates for displaying the U.S. flag. Many of us fly the flag every day, but there are days designated as especially important for flying our flags. We all should take […]
HOUSTON – As America moves faster and farther from many of the principles of its founding fathers, there are still people who hold onto honor, pride, patriotism and tradition. Members of the Houston Pilot Club, VFW and American Legion have invited the community to gather at Joe Brigance Park at 5 p.m., June 14 for […]
by Jean Dendy Special to the Chickasaw Journal I would like to extend a big “thank you” to everyone who helped make this year’s Relay for Life such a great success. The committee, team captains and team members all did an exceptional job this year. Carol Koutroulis and those who assisted her again provided […]
Pull your weight, work for entitlement Dear Editor, The long dreaded automatic spending cuts of the sequester have now taken effect. Yet the sky did not fall despite the ominous warnings of Chicken Little and company. In realty these very modest reductions in government spending are all our elected officials have done to actually […]
HOUSTON – The annual Chickasaw County Relay for Life event is set for May 3 at Joe Brigance Park in Houston and local teams are gearing up their fundraising efforts for the American Cancer Society. In an effort to involve more people from different walks of life, teams are planning new and different events to […]
AMORY – Gossie Lee Jones, 80, died Monday, Feb. 11, 2013, at North Mississippi Medical Center. Born April 5, 1932, in Monroe County, he was a son of the late Liza and Robert Lee Jones. He was a member of Rose of Sharon Church. He attended school in both Prairie and Amory. He was formerly […]
- Vardaman softball coach arrested April 18, 2015
- CenterStage to perform at ICC April 22, 2015
- Cyclist dies on Natchez Trace Parkway April 22, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Voice your vote April 23, 2015
- Testing time April 23, 2015
- State benefits from Natchez Trace Parkway visitors April 24, 2015
- Houston hosts Flywheel Festival April 24, 2015
- Houston honors best and brightest April 23, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: Flywheel fun starts Friday April 23, 2015
- Hilltoppers eye playoffs April 23, 2015
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- Tg007.net: if you want the town to grow stop taxing the busin...
- i’m engaged, you can be too | architecture | equality: […] the design and related impacts of a new...
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...