HOUSTON – There will be no massive city-wide street paving projects in Houston this summer, but aldermen are looking at how best to spend dollars in their wards this year. The summer construction season coincides with the wrapping up of the city budget in August with the city looking at projects to start that would […]
Tag Archives | American Legion
HOUSTON – “We’ve got POW flags, American flags, whatever anyone wants to retire,” said Cara Chisolm of the 10th annual flag retirement ceremony sponsored by the Houston Pilot Club, VFW 7149 and American Legion Post 95 and held June 12 in Joe Brigance Park. The groups saw a need to encourage people to take down […]
HOUSTON – Major Danny Blanton told of that fateful day in July 2005 when he performed CPR on a Marine sergeant fatally wounded when a bomb exploded under the vehicle that sergeant was riding in on a road in Anbar Province Iraq. Blanton also told of the son of that sergeant who turned down an […]
AMORY – Victor Harold “Bubba” “Sonny” Stanford, 78, died on Monday, May 26, 2014, at his residence. Born on June 13, 1935, in Amory, he was a son of the late William Archie Stanford Sr. and Jewel Nix Stanford.He attended Trace Road, Amory and Shannon schools and the University of Mississippi for one year. He […]
HOUSTON – Anyone who has ever put one on celebrates Memorial Day a little different from everybody else. Paul Olenski, a U.S. Marine, Vietnam veteran and Silver Star recipient has donated his uniform to the Chickasaw County Heritage Museum and his gift will be formally recognized at Houston’s annual Memorial Day service Monday. The community […]
HOUSTON – There is a right way to do things in this world. The Houston Pilot Club, VFW Post 7149 and American Legion Post 95 helped dispose of a massive garrison or Holiday Flag at their annual flag retirement ceremony at Joe Brigance Park on Flag Day June 15. “Etiquette says you are not to […]
HOUSTON – As America moves faster and farther from many of the principles of its founding fathers, there are still people who hold onto honor, pride, patriotism and tradition. Members of the Houston Pilot Club, VFW and American Legion have invited the community to gather at Joe Brigance Park at 5 p.m., June 14 for […]
- Gas goes under $2 January 23, 2015
- United needs to fill 300 jobs – quickly January 27, 2015
- Arrested party host identified January 27, 2015
- NEMCC students nominated to Who’s Who. January 27, 2015
- State Auditor recovers $70,000 For City of Greenville January 28, 2015
- Trustees moving quickly January 30, 2015
- Knight turn out lights on Houston January 29, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: The culture of the Super Bowl January 29, 2015
- EDITORIAL: A tough job January 29, 2015
- County seeks to refinance jail bonds January 29, 2015
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...