Dear Editor, The Pilot Club, VFW, and American Legion wish to thank all of the people who attended and helped with the Memorial Day Ceremony. So many individuals and groups contributed to this event. Thanks to Bobby Sanderson and Sandy Garner for the music, to Mary Beth Dendy of the Houlka-Houston Mississippi Homemaker Volunteers for […]
Tag Archives | American Legion
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Memorial Day will be a little more solemn this year as organizers move the annual event to the morning when things are a little quieter. Memorial Day ceremonies in Houston will be held at 10 a.m. Monday on the east side of the Chickasaw County Courthouse where […]
HOUSTON – There will be no massive city-wide street paving projects in Houston this summer, but aldermen are looking at how best to spend dollars in their wards this year. The summer construction season coincides with the wrapping up of the city budget in August with the city looking at projects to start that would […]
HOUSTON – “We’ve got POW flags, American flags, whatever anyone wants to retire,” said Cara Chisolm of the 10th annual flag retirement ceremony sponsored by the Houston Pilot Club, VFW 7149 and American Legion Post 95 and held June 12 in Joe Brigance Park. The groups saw a need to encourage people to take down […]
HOUSTON – Major Danny Blanton told of that fateful day in July 2005 when he performed CPR on a Marine sergeant fatally wounded when a bomb exploded under the vehicle that sergeant was riding in on a road in Anbar Province Iraq. Blanton also told of the son of that sergeant who turned down an […]
AMORY – Victor Harold “Bubba” “Sonny” Stanford, 78, died on Monday, May 26, 2014, at his residence. Born on June 13, 1935, in Amory, he was a son of the late William Archie Stanford Sr. and Jewel Nix Stanford.He attended Trace Road, Amory and Shannon schools and the University of Mississippi for one year. He […]
HOUSTON – Anyone who has ever put one on celebrates Memorial Day a little different from everybody else. Paul Olenski, a U.S. Marine, Vietnam veteran and Silver Star recipient has donated his uniform to the Chickasaw County Heritage Museum and his gift will be formally recognized at Houston’s annual Memorial Day service Monday. The community […]
HOUSTON – There is a right way to do things in this world. The Houston Pilot Club, VFW Post 7149 and American Legion Post 95 helped dispose of a massive garrison or Holiday Flag at their annual flag retirement ceremony at Joe Brigance Park on Flag Day June 15. “Etiquette says you are not to […]
HOUSTON – As America moves faster and farther from many of the principles of its founding fathers, there are still people who hold onto honor, pride, patriotism and tradition. Members of the Houston Pilot Club, VFW and American Legion have invited the community to gather at Joe Brigance Park at 5 p.m., June 14 for […]
- Summer details handled by Okolona trustees July 28, 2015
- Two charged in Calhoun County death July 31, 2015
- Man arrested following assault with knife July 31, 2015
- Houlka aldermen updated on water, sewer issues July 31, 2015
- NCAA charges Southern Miss, Tyndall August 1, 2015
- Bowens, Gladney lift in Las Vegas August 4, 2015
- Back to School Calendar! August 3, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: A hot political summer August 3, 2015
- School immunization required August 2, 2015
- 2015-16 Back to School Supply lists for Houlka, Houston, Okolona August 2, 2015
- Jimmie Hardin: I for one cared that it was a week late. I live in...
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- Greg Schmidt: This is good news because this is one of the most ...
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...