HOUSTON – There will be no massive city-wide street paving projects in Houston this summer, but aldermen are looking at how best to spend dollars in their wards this year. The summer construction season coincides with the wrapping up of the city budget in August with the city looking at projects to start that would […]
Tag Archives | American Legion
HOUSTON – “We’ve got POW flags, American flags, whatever anyone wants to retire,” said Cara Chisolm of the 10th annual flag retirement ceremony sponsored by the Houston Pilot Club, VFW 7149 and American Legion Post 95 and held June 12 in Joe Brigance Park. The groups saw a need to encourage people to take down […]
HOUSTON – Major Danny Blanton told of that fateful day in July 2005 when he performed CPR on a Marine sergeant fatally wounded when a bomb exploded under the vehicle that sergeant was riding in on a road in Anbar Province Iraq. Blanton also told of the son of that sergeant who turned down an […]
AMORY – Victor Harold “Bubba” “Sonny” Stanford, 78, died on Monday, May 26, 2014, at his residence. Born on June 13, 1935, in Amory, he was a son of the late William Archie Stanford Sr. and Jewel Nix Stanford.He attended Trace Road, Amory and Shannon schools and the University of Mississippi for one year. He […]
HOUSTON – Anyone who has ever put one on celebrates Memorial Day a little different from everybody else. Paul Olenski, a U.S. Marine, Vietnam veteran and Silver Star recipient has donated his uniform to the Chickasaw County Heritage Museum and his gift will be formally recognized at Houston’s annual Memorial Day service Monday. The community […]
HOUSTON – There is a right way to do things in this world. The Houston Pilot Club, VFW Post 7149 and American Legion Post 95 helped dispose of a massive garrison or Holiday Flag at their annual flag retirement ceremony at Joe Brigance Park on Flag Day June 15. “Etiquette says you are not to […]
HOUSTON – As America moves faster and farther from many of the principles of its founding fathers, there are still people who hold onto honor, pride, patriotism and tradition. Members of the Houston Pilot Club, VFW and American Legion have invited the community to gather at Joe Brigance Park at 5 p.m., June 14 for […]
- Okolona briefed on Trace Regional changes August 25, 2014
- EW downs Vardaman in season opener August 28, 2014
- Eight-man Eagles open season August 28, 2014
- This is the way we roll! August 29, 2014
- Volunteer and make a difference August 29, 2014
- CUNNINGHAM: Common Core linked to federal dollars September 1, 2014
- Hands of Hope September 1, 2014
- BRASSFIELD: Thank you Chickasaw County! August 31, 2014
- ALLEN: First day at new job August 31, 2014
- Jori Abi Boston August 31, 2014
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- Carol Mac: I went to the Tupelo run, and I have some advice f...
- Candace R.: If that isn't nepotism, what is??? The solution ...
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...
- Pat Southerland: It is interesting to see that Mrs. Dendy is resign...