By Parrish Alford Daily Journal Ole Miss will start the college football season at No. 15 in the Amway-USA Today preseason coaches poll, which was released Thursday morning. The Rebels are the fourth SEC West team ranked, following No. 3 Alabama, No. 7 Auburn and No. 13 LSU. Ole Miss is sandwiched between No. 14 […]
Tag Archives | Alabama
FAUNSDALE, Ala. – Dorothy Smith Pettet, 98, of Faunsdale, Alabama, passed away Friday, May 23, 2014, at her residence. Graveside services were 10 a.m. Monday in Providence Cemetery in McCondy. Visitation was 4 until 6 p.m. Sunday at Robinson Funeral Home in West Point.
By Jay Reeves Associated Press BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – A national organization is launching a three-year, $8.5 million campaign to promote LGBT equality and push for new legal protections in three Southern states dominated by conservative politics and religion and known for resistance to change: Alabama, Arkansas and Mississippi. Decades after groups used boycotts, marches, sit-ins, […]
WINFIELD, Ala. – Jimmie Taylor Wooldridge, 85, formerly of Calhoun City, died Tuesday, Dec. 17, 2013, at Northwest Medical Center in Winfield, Ala. She was born May 5, 1928, in Calhoun County to Sam Ed Taylor and Hattie Lee Stewart Taylor. She was a retired LPN. Survivors include a stepson, Steve Allen Wooldridge; a sister, […]
GULF SHORES, Ala. — Bob F. White, 82, of Gulf Shores, Ala., passed away Tuesday, Sept. 03, 2013. He graduated Evergreen High School and attended Southwest Junior College in Mississippi and Troy State. He was a U.S. Army veteran serving in Korea. He later completed his education at The University of Alabama with a degree in Geology. He […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Stanley and Sue Ard of Houston are pleased to announce the marriage of their daughter, Brittany Lee, to Chad Ellis Brown, son of John Brown III of Hamilton, Miss., and Rhonda Lawson of New Albany. Brittany is the granddaughter of the late Loyd and Mary Lee Eaton of Houston and […]
FAYETTE, Ala. — Geneva Shackelford Funeral services for Mrs. Geneva Lucill Lucius Shackelford, age 79, of Fayette, Ala., formerly of Shannon, Miss., will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday, March 30, 2013, at Doty Chapel Baptist Church. Bro. John Kitchens, pastor of Covin Baptist church where Mrs. Shackelford was a devoted member, will be officiating. […]
HOUSTON — Amanda Atkins Porter, 23, died Feb. 24, 2013, at home. Services were at 3 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 28 at Dowdle Funeral Home Chapel in Millport. Burial followed in Bethlehem Baptist Church Cemetery in Pickens County with Dowdle Funeral Home of Millport directing. She was preceded in death by her father, Ricky Atkins. Survivors […]
- DANIEL GARDNER: The “Good News” in Russia July 25, 2015
- Houlka’s Hobson on rise July 29, 2015
- Suspicious mailers sent before Primary Election July 29, 2015
- Victoria Wofford awarded Yates Scholarship July 29, 2015
- Quality Iron announces expansion in Houston July 30, 2015
- Houlka aldermen updated on water, sewer issues July 31, 2015
- Man arrested following assault with knife July 31, 2015
- Two charged in Calhoun County death July 31, 2015
- County elections are Tuesday, Aug. 4 July 31, 2015
- Ole Miss begins season No. 15 in coaches poll July 30, 2015
- Jimmie Hardin: I for one cared that it was a week late. I live in...
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- Greg Schmidt: This is good news because this is one of the most ...
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...