HOULKA – Coach James “Jimbo” Byars, 47, died Tuesday, January 15, 2013, at Sanctuary Hospice House after a brief illness. He was born August 13, 1965, in Tupelo to Gene and Sue Byars. He was a 1983 graduate of Aberdeen High School. He attended Itawamba Junior College and was a 1993 graduate of Mississippi State […]
Tag Archives | aberdeen
ABERDEEN – Willie Clarence Gillespie, 57, died Friday, Jan. 11, 2013, at North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo. Services will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at Pleasant Plain M.B. Church in Prairie with Rev. J.P. Orr officiating. Burial will be in the Pleasant Plain M.B. Church Cemetery. Belle Memorial Funeral Home of Aberdeen is […]
ABERDEEN – It’s usually a matter of seconds before customers passing through the doors of Flora’s Collections are greeted with not only a smile, but a welcoming laugh. It’s that level of customer service that makes the women’s clothing and accessory store a well-rounded shopping experience. “I’ve worked in retail for years and since I […]
ABERDEEN – The Day Commission is seeking pieces of Aberdeen’s past for an upstairs room of the Magnolias specific to the Sykes family and the time period stretching from the home’s construction in 1850 to the beginning of the Civil War. “Our idea is to display photos and other items representative of that time frame […]
ABERDEEN – The historic Bryan family cemetery of Peter Grantham Bryan and his wife, Maria Wright Bryan, was abandoned circa 1920 because people simply could not get to it anymore. In the early 1980’s the Corps of Engineers built the road to the west side of the Blue Bluff Lock and Dam and this road […]
ABERDEEN – Aberdeen used a fast start to take a 25-point lead to halftime and forced five turnovers to beat McClain 46-16 Friday night. Aberdeen (10-2) capitalized on two McClain interceptions in the first to take a 13-0 lead. Linebacker Justin Lucas hauled in the second interception of the night to the McClain 42. Bulldogs […]
ABERDEEN – Whereas Census data states the average American family has 1.86 children, wildlife biologist Bob Tarter has roughly 50, if you count all the exotic animals. “These animals need a family feel, too, even if it’s a different species. I’m in charge of the family; I’m still dad and everybody has to know their […]
ABERDEEN – Be honest. Your heart starts to twinge and your eyes begin to water when you hear Sarah McLachlan’s ASPCA commercial on TV. You don’t have to be a pet lover to experience the emotional draw of wanting to adopt every single animal featured in the commercial. Those intense emotions prove that we’re all […]
- School ratings a shame November 16, 2014
- TIP IT OFF! November 20, 2014
- Roof concerns discussed again November 20, 2014
- Holiday stockpile November 20, 2014
- Volunteers need to answer the call November 20, 2014
- Brand, Wright honored by ICC November 22, 2014
- Mississippi jobless rate at 7.6 percent in October November 22, 2014
- WEEK 14: High school football playoff scores November 22, 2014
- Floy Dyer serving community seniors November 22, 2014
- Hunting is part of my heritage November 21, 2014
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- Sad for Our Kids: Bravo! You've done your job as an advocate for a...
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...