HOUSTON – The band played and the homecoming queen was crowned but the Hilltoppers could not top a strong Kosciusko team Friday night. Houston (3-5, 0-2) unveiled a passing game and tried to back it up with the run. Koscuisko (6-2, 1-1) used a good mix of passing and rushing to grab a 21-0 halftime […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
HOUSTON – It grows a little bigger and a little better every year. The New Century Club hosted its bi-annual Pink Ribbon 5K at the Houston Fall Flywheel Festival recently with good times recorded by a large field of runners. “It’s a lot of fun and its for a great cause,” said Pink Ribbon Run […]
AREA SCORES Thursday Southaven 17, Tupelo 7 Oxford 49, Lewisburg 26 Friday Aberdeen 40, Kemper Co. 36 Amory 36, Pontotoc 0 Baldwyn 57, Hatley 0 Calhoun City 44, E. Webster 18 Cent. Aca. 42, Calhoun Aca. 28 Clarksdale 20, Saltillo 15 Coffeeville 33, Smithville 0 Coldwater 64, Vardaman 7 Corinth 62, Tishomingo Co. 14 Europa […]
Houston football coach William Cook introduces the Hilltopper football team during the Houston Tailgate Party on the Courthouse Square in Downtown Houston Thursday afternoon. The Hilltopper take on Koscuisko for homecoming at 7 p.m. Friday with the Homecoming Queen crowned at halftime. Photos of Thursday’s Tailgate Party can be found by clicking the BUY PHOTO […]
CALEDONIA – Houston stumbled to open its second season losing its first district game to the Caledonia Confederates Friday night. The game was close and just like the previous weekend at Eupora a high-scoring fourth quarter saw the Hilltoppers come up a little short. Houston (3-4, 0-1) and Caledonia (4-3, 1-0) played a classic ground […]
AREA SCORES Friday Aberdeen 41, Nettleton 0 Baldwyn 45, Mantachie 14 Biggersville 20, Vardaman 14 Booneville 55, Alcorn Central 6 Briarfield, La. 52, Calhoun Aca. 36 Caledonia 28, Houston 27 Calhoun City 56, Bruce 15 Corinth 49, Pontotoc 14 E. Webster 31, Okolona 22 Falkner 19, Thrasher 12 Grenada 14, Tupelo 11 Hamilton 46, Houlka […]
HOUSTON – The Houston High School cross country team recently ran in two Northeast Mississippi events with local trekkers posting solid times and taking home honors for the Hilltoppers. “The weather has gotten cooler and we should see times pickup,” said Patricia Ellison, Houston High School cross country coach. “I also want to point out […]
EUPORA – It as a fight to the death and Houston did not give up until the bitter end. Houston fell to Eupora, 36-28, in a hard-fought contest that saw the Hilltoppers battle back at the end, but it was not enough as the Eagles used the big play to seal the game Friday night […]
HOULKA – In slow-pitch softball they are going to get their hits, but Smithville has a tendency to hit them harder and farther. The Smithville Lady Seminoles topped the Lady Houlka Wildcats 15-0, Thursday after coming of a Tuesday night jaunt with Hamilton that saw Smithville hit 13 home runs. “We knew they were a […]
Associated Press Here are Mississippi’s top high school football teams in each class as selected by a panel of Associated Press state sports writers. Class Overall School W-L Pts Prv 1. Starkville (12) (5-0) 138 1 2. South Panola (2) (5-0) 128 2 3. Tupelo (5-0) 100 3 4. Picayune (4-0) 78 4 5. Oxford […]
Staff reports Oxford 43, West Point 22 Oxford took a big step to earning the top spot in Division 1-5A with a 43-22 win over West Point Friday night at McCallister Field. Down 22-8 late in the first half, the Chargers (4-1) scored just before the half and then really changed the complexion of […]
AREA SCORES Friday Aberdeen 42, Corinth 7 Amory 27, Bruce 0 Baldwyn 42, Tishomingo Co. 14 Calhoun Aca. 37, Strider Aca. 6 Calhoun City 54, N. Panola 6 Coffeeville 52, Biggersville 0 East Webster 38, J.Z. George 7 Eupora 36, Houston 28 Falkner 54, Houlka 0 Harding, Tenn. 30, Booneville 22 Hatley 48, TCPS 6 […]
HOUSTON – The Choctaw County Chargers lived up to their name as they charged back in the second half to score 21 points and top the Houston Hilltoppers 28-26 Friday night. Things looked good heading into halftime as Houston held a 20-7 lead over Choctaw County, but the elusive running of Charger quarterback Jamarcus Bradley […]
The Houston New Century Club will host its Pink Ribbon 5K Run/Walk in conjunction with the Houston Flywheel Festival Saturday, Sept. 27. The annual event kicks off Saturday’s Flywheel Festival with runners gathering at Joe Brigance Park and running or walking the course that morning to raise funds to fight breast cancer. Trophies are given […]
- BIRTH: Sawyer Blayre Yeatman January 24, 2015
- State Auditor recovers $70,000 For City of Greenville January 28, 2015
- Locals serve on Indian Delegation January 28, 2015
- County seeks to refinance jail bonds January 29, 2015
- EDITORIAL: A tough job January 29, 2015
- Nunnelee’s cancer no longer treatable, spokesman says January 30, 2015
- Supper in the sights January 30, 2015
- Trustees moving quickly January 30, 2015
- Knight turn out lights on Houston January 29, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: The culture of the Super Bowl January 29, 2015
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago