The Pontotoc Dirt Divas will be hosting age 10-and-under girls fastpitch softball tryout in February with date undetermined, depending on weather. For more information, call 346-6150.
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
By Parashay Hamilton Sharing his life experiences, Houston High School graduate Shaquille Vance visited Houston Lower Elementary School to give a motivational speech to the students. Vance discussed the rocky road that led him to the bright future he has today. Vance was a three-sport athlete at HHS and was being recruited to play football […]
It may still be winter but it’s already time to start getting ready for youth baseball and softball coming this spring. Registration for the Houston Summer League is officially open through March 1 and practice is set to begin the third week of March. Organizers of the annual recreation opportunity want to allow as many […]
HOUSTON – The East Webster Lady Wolverines took their first district loss of the season to a tough Lady Wildcat team from Calhoun City Jan. 21, but the EW girls didn’t go down easily. City led by one at the close of the first and the half and extended their lead to five to start […]
Lady Ram’s coach Deanna Winter thought the toughest competition of the season might come from the Lady Pirates of Coffeeville. Her team did not agree, blasting past the Pirates, 71-34, to pick up their fourth district win. “Couldn’t have asked for a better effort,” Winter said. The Lady Rams led all four quarters, although the […]
With MAIS JV district tournaments starting this week and varsity set for next week, all three Hebron basketball teams are going in strong, after wrapping the regular season on a winning note. The JV Lady Eagles are carrying a 13-4, 7-1 record while the varsity team is showing 14-4, 8-0 and the Eagles finished up […]
“It is exciting to watch them gel as a team at the right time,” said coach Vernessa Gates after the Lady Toppers picked up two more district wins last week. The Houston girls have been on a positive roll that is based largely on a balanced floor. “The girls have really been stepping up and […]
The Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks is currently accepting applications for turkey hunting on selected Wildlife Management Areas. Permitted turkey hunts are offered to provide a quality turkey hunting experience and are available on 15 WMAs across the state. To participate in these hunts, applicants must apply online at www.mdwfp.com/draws before February 15 […]
Itawamba Community College head football coach Jon Williams has announced Nick Coleman as the new offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach for the Indians. “Nick comes from a program that lead the country in total offense and many other offensive categories last year and over past few years,” said Williams. Coleman spent the last three seasons […]
By Adam Gore The first-ever Itawamba Community College winter softball clinic featuring current and former Lady Indians was a “great success,” according to ICC head softball coach Andy Kirk. Sixty-one high school and junior high players participated from all across the state of Mississippi and parts of Alabama. “I felt like the clinic was a […]
Although it’s still January and winter weather is all around, the Houston Hilltopper baseball team is itching to get back on the diamond for a new season. Coach Scott Gann addressed the Houston Exchange Club Jan. 17, recapping the 2013 season and laying out his plans for 2014. The Hilltoppers wrapped up the 2013 season […]
The annual Houston Hilltopper 1st Pitch banquet is set for Feb. 8 with featured speaker, Butch Thompson, assistant baseball coach and pitching coach from Mississippi State University. Thompson joins a growing list of high-profile sports personalities to address baseball fans in Houston. “The 1st Pitch banquet has become a huge deal in our program especially […]
The Chieftains had a mixed bag of success on the floor last week as they took a couple of non-division wins, but fell to the Bruce Trojans in their district game. The Chiefs picked up a 59-53 win over West Oktibbeha Jan. 11 and fought a fierce battle with the Houlka Wildcats Jan. 17. The […]
Jynyia Patterson and Destiny Fields were spotted at the Houston/Leake Central game cheering on their Toppers and Lady Toppers. Jynyia is in the eighth grade and Destiny is in sixth grade at Houston Middle School.
- Extension gives out 1,600 trees March 3, 2014
- Dale Weeks March 6, 2014
- FLOYD INGRAM: A dog named Sunday March 6, 2014
- Virginia Dopson March 6, 2014
- Player of the Week March 6, 2014
- Lottie Perry March 10, 2014
- In the bleachers March 10, 2014
- Circuit Court verdict rendered in Okolona March 10, 2014
- Big Bass! March 8, 2014
- Spring forward! March 8, 2014
- Marathon set for Tanglefoot Trail | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Trail opening was top story for 2013 [...
- Tickets issued for dogs in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Robertson speaks to Okolona Aldermen [...
- DOCKET: Circuit Court in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Circuit Court verdicts imposed in Okolon...
- WEDDING: Earnest/Morgan | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] E.J. Earnest […]...
- 60th ANNIVERSARY: Rad & Betty Clark | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Ralph Coggins […]...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 9 months ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 9 months ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 9 months ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 9 months ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 9 months ago