HOULKA – It was classic high school basketball for Houlka, but it was Homecoming night. The Houlka Wildcat boys and girls basketball teams defeated the Hickory Flat Rebels last week with the girls starting slow but winning big and the boys pulling it off in a fourth-quarter, nail-biter. The Lady Wildcats downed the Lady Rebels […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
TUPELO – The Daily Journal has named their All-Area Slow-Pitch Softball team with two girls from this part of their coverage area named to this prestigious roster. Houston’s Talaja Echoles, a senior second baseman for the Houston High School Lady Hilltoppers and Autumn Frost, an East Webster senior outfielder have been selected. The complete team, […]
The Chickasaw Journal will gladly run a photo of you and your big buck on the Sports Pages of your newspaper. You can submit your photo by Email at email@example.com or drop it by the Chickasaw Journal offices at 225 East Madison Street in Houston. Please include your name, phone number, the names of people […]
CALHOUN CITY – The 2013 Class 2A State championship game certainly left a sour taste in the mouths of the Calhoun City Wildcats. It was a loss to Bassfield. The Wildcats get a second straight bite of the apple, earning a 2A championship game appearance Friday with a 35-14 victory over the East Webster Wolverines. […]
STATE PLAYOFFS Class 6A North Final South Panola 36, Starkville 26 South Final Oak Grove 36, Brandon 35 ––––– Class 5A North Final Oxford 48, Pearl 7 South Final Laurel 34, Wayne County 30 ––––– Class 4A North Final Noxubee County 21, Greenwood 0 South Final Saint Stanislaus 48, Purvis 14 ––––– Class 3A North […]
HOUSTON – Who’s No. 1? Houston Middle School! Houston Middle School students and teacher put a new spin on the Mississippi State/Ole Miss Egg Bowl last week with student taking their first benchmark assessment of the year, given a chance to put their score behind their favorite team. With their first benchmark assessment coming up, […]
HOULKA – The Houlka used power and good defense to down North Pontotoc and the Lady Vikings turned around and did the same things to the Houlka girls, handing them a loss. The Wildcats played – well like wildcats in their win over North Pontotoc Monday night. The boys from Houlka played an aggressive style […]
HOUSTON – The Hilltopper hoopers put together a complete game as a fiesty group of Houlka Wildcats came to play last week in a nip-and-tuck, cross-county contest. The game was close from start to finish with Houlka leading 12-11 at the end of the first quarter. Houston held a 29-28 lead at the end of […]
VARDAMAN – It’s a rebuilding year for the Rams as they field two seniors and lost their entire starting five last year to graduation and transfers out of the district. “I am going to count on a lot of young guys to grow up fast,” said Vardaman basketball coach Tim Vaughn. “We’re small and inexperienced, […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Over the past several hunting seasons, Mississippi deer hunters have harvested some of the largest white-tailed deer on record. Mississippi is beginning to be acknowledged as one of the top white-tailed deer states in the nation. This was highlighted in the June/July 2013 issue of Outdoor Life magazine. Outdoor […]
HOULKA – Houlka has always been a basketball town and a newly renovated gym has the Wildcats looking to bring a few more wins to the facility that has seen much basketball. Houlka basketball coach Jimmy Guy McDonald has been teaching and coaching for 46 years and he has seen a lot of those games. […]
OKOLONA – The Chieftains lost four seniors but they will field five this year with a strong group of guys to back them up. “We’re beginning to find ourselves and we are playing well,” said Okolona basketball coachArteria Clifton . “We’ve got a good team and will play a lot of guys every game. “We […]
HOUSTON – The Hilltoppers are loaded and if they can just aim and shoot they should hit the tournament target this year. The Houston boys lost three seniors this year and have found a few new players as they reload for the 2014-15 basketball season. “We’ve got some real player and we’ve got some kids […]
OKOLONA – At one time in his life, Michael Stafford was forced to play golf. He worked for his brother, who had a standing game, and Stafford was expected to participate each week. “He gave me a set of clubs and I played with him and I hated it,” said Stafford, a 43-year-old Pontocola resident. […]
- DANIEL GARDNER: Divide or unite March 21, 2015
- Lady Hilltoppers are rolling March 26, 2015
- Hilltopper tennis squeezes in games March 26, 2015
- Ole Miss rallies for Jones March 26, 2015
- Region’s jobless rate rises March 27, 2015
- First Turkey March 28, 2015
- One dead in crash south of Okolona March 28, 2015
- Yokohama Mississippi nearing completion March 28, 2015
- DANIEL GARDNER: We’d best pay attention March 28, 2015
- Easter Egg Hunt is noon Saturday March 27, 2015
- Tg007.net: if you want the town to grow stop taxing the busin...
- i’m engaged, you can be too | architecture | equality: […] the design and related impacts of a new...
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago