TROPHY ELK (Courtesy Photo) Retired Game Warden Danny Nicholson shot this 6X7 trophy Rocky Mountain Bull Elk while hunting in Northwest Colorado on Oct. 20, 2014 near Maybell. He shot the trophy at 360-yards with a .270-cal. Browning BAR rifle using a 130-grain Remington soft-point. Danny said he now spends time hunting the country and […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
AREA SCORES Friday Class 1A Playoffs (First round) Broad Street 47, Falkner 34 Shaw 39, Smithville 0 Class 2A Playoffs (Second round) East Webster 34, Baldwyn 7 Calhoun City 49, South Delta 0 Bruce 39, J.Z. George 6 Class 3A Playoffs (Second round) Aberdeen 66, North Pontotoc 30 Louisville 42, Mooreville 28 Charleston 35, Kossuth […]
OKOLONA – Houlka had a good first quarter, but a stronger and faster Smithville team came to town Thursday and left with their eyes on their next opponent and a possible state title. The Smithville Semioles (8-3, 6-2) were met with a stingy Wildcat defense but as the game wore on the Houlka (1-9, 1-7) […]
OXFORD — Turnovers and too many missed opportunities cost the Houston Hilltoppers a chance from moving on in the MHSAA Class 4A playoffs Friday night. Even though Houston forced four Lafayette turnovers in the first half, the Hilltoppers weren’t able to score enough to keep up with the Commodores. The end result was a 41-16 […]
Associated Press Here are Mississippi’s top high school football teams in each class as selected by a panel of Associated Press state sports writers. Note: There are no updated rankings for classes 4A, 3A and 2A because those teams began playoffs last week. Class Overall School W-L Pts Prv 1. Starkville (4) (11-0) 40 1 […]
AREA SCORES Thursday Regular season Falkner 43, Vardaman 21 Smithville 48, Houlka 0 West Point 65, Lewisburg 51 Friday Regular season Coffeeville 49, Hamilton 0 Starkville Aca. 31, Pillow Aca. 0 Tupelo 24, Olive Branch 7 Oxford 49, Lake Cormorant 13 Saltillo 32, New Hope 29 Starkville 56, Clinton 46 Thrasher 20, Coldwater 14 Class […]
MACON – Houston faced a tough and top-ranked Noxubee County football team and took a 34-10 loss from the Tigers, but now turn their attention to a First Round Playoff game with Lafayette on Friday. Houston lost their 1,000-yard running back Brandon Townsend last week and called on a variety of players against Noxubee to […]
OKOLONA – Houlka took the field Friday night with a cold wind blowing and six starters either out for the season or nursing injuries that did not allow them to play the Coldwater Cougars in a key District 1A, Region 1 matchup. Houlka, (1-8, 1-6) saw their top running back/quarterback Tyreque Reed suffer a neck […]
PHEBA – Senior Night is a critical night in the life of every gridder and the Hebron Eagles went out with a bang as they down Calhoun Academy in a critical district match up. Hebron topped the visiting Cougars from Calhoun County, 54-30 and came out of the gate strong and finished strong. Hebron struck […]
HOUSTON – Jim Stites is a sticker for detail and that suits him well as band director for the Houston High School band program. Stites is in his second year a band director and carried the Topper Pride Marching Band to Tupelo recently for the MHSAA Region 1 Marching Band Festival where they competed against […]
Aberdeen 52, South Pontotoc 14 Baldwyn 48, New Site 20 Belmont 30, Alcorn Central 12 Calhoun City 54, Okolona 0 Coffeeville 53, Falkner 0 Coldwater 50, Houlka 6 Corinth 33, Amory 7 Hatley 35, East Union 7 Hebron 54, Calhoun Academy 30 H.W. Byers 54, Potts Camp 41 Itawamba AHS 31, Tishomingo County 14 Kossuth […]
OKOLONA – Houlka found themselves down 34-13 in the fourth quarter, but no one ever told them the game was over. The Wildcats recovered two onside kicks to close the gap and were driving for the winning score when the clock ran out Thursday night in their district contest in Okolona against the Biggersville Lions, […]
HOUSTON – The Hilltoppers 40-21 win over West Lauderdale should put them in the playoffs, but it came at a high price. The Hilltoppers jumped out to a 20-7 lead in the first quarter and looked to have the game in control, then senior fullback Brandon “Boosie” Townsend broke his leg on a run the […]
PHEBA – Hebron Christian welcomed their district foe and undefeated Central Academy Vikings to Homecoming Friday night named their queen and claimed the victory. Miss Hali Whitt was crowned Homecoming Queen and the Eagles took the field with Landon Hill taking the opening kickoff 75 yards for the touchdown. A Collin Moore run for the […]
- Schools announce Wednesday closings February 25, 2015
- GOP federal prosecutor to challenge Hood for AG February 27, 2015
- DANIEL GARDNER: God given rights February 28, 2015
- Happy Birthday Miss Zula March 1, 2015
- Lenten Luncheon continues this week March 2, 2015
- Bats go cold in Bulldogs’ first loss March 4, 2015
- Habitat seeks potential homeowners March 4, 2015
- Mitchell Adair named Hinds 2014 graduate March 3, 2015
- Another winter storm may await March 3, 2015
- Chickasaw United Way allocates dollars March 3, 2015
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago