JACKSON – The Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP) Fisheries Bureau reports that crappie fishing has picked up on several lakes. Anglers are catching crappie by trolling with jigs or minnows in open water at Lake Lincoln State Park near Wesson and fishing jigs around boat docks and piers at Eagle Lake in […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
Hunter Baggett of Mantachie has seen and shot many deer in his 12 short years on Earth, but a buck he took the last weekend of deer season was more unusual than any most will get their hands on in a long lifetime. Hunting on a relative’s property in Chickasaw County, Sunday’s sunrise found him […]
By Logan Lowery Daily Journal STARKVILLE – When Dan Mullen was hired at Mississippi State seven years ago, he vowed to keep in-state recruits at home. Mullen has held true to his word. Of the 176 players Mullen has signed since 2009, 111 have been from programs within the Magnolia State. The Bulldogs brought in […]
The fans got their monies worth as the game was nip and tuck, but Houston pulled off a hometown victory in front of the home crowd. Houston hosted the Leake Central Gators Friday night in both a girls and boys matchup with the boys taking the victory and the girls toppling to the Lady Gators. […]
HOULKA – Basketball has always been a key part of the Houlka community and the hometeam did their town proud Friday night with easy wins of the Smithville Seminoles. The Houlka boys are now 19-4 overall and have clinched the district title at 5-0. The Lady Wildcats stand 11-11 on the season and are 3-1 […]
HOUSTON – She can crush a softball and play just about any position on the field, except one. “I don’t pitch,” said Mary Kansas Sullivan, as she signed a letter of intent to play softball at Itawamba Community College last week. “I felt like ICC was the right place for me and I already know […]
HOUSTON – Collinsville is a basketball town and West Lauderdale brought their best to Houston Friday night and it showed. The district’s top-ranked West Lauderdale Boys (15-7, 4-1) and Girls (15-8, 3-2) downed both Hilltopper teams in district play Friday night at Houston High School Gym. Both local squads got behind early and never caught […]
HOUSTON – Bill Smith’s eyes lit up as members of the Houston Exchange Club sang Happy Birthday and the Egg Bowl Trophy was plopped in his lap as part of 90th birthday ceremonies at Floy Dyer Nursing Home Friday. “Oh, the only thing prettier than this is Mary,” said Smith of the Ole Miss/MSU game […]
HOUSTON – Baseball is a game of hitting and pitching and the Northeast Community College Tigers have inked one of both from Houston. Senior left-hander Reid Carter and senior slugger Garrison Howell signed Letters of Intent to play for the Tigers at ceremonies at the Houston High School Commons last week under the flash of […]
OKOLONA – Chieftain basketball coach Arteria Clifton liked everything about the game against Houlka except the score. Okolona fell to Houlka, 74-71, in a fiercely contested cross-county match-up that was anybody’s game until the final few seconds. “I was proud of the ways our guys played and we could have won it,” said Clifton. “We […]
HOUSTON – You play a lot of basketball games in high school, but the “New Year Turn” brings those all important district games into the schedule. The Houston Hilltoppers and Lady Hilltoppers opened the district slate with wins over Caledonia Friday night at the Houston High School Gym. The boys downed the Confederates 57-52 and […]
By Logan Lowery Daily Journal STARKVILLE – Mississippi State received a jolt heading into the offseason, as junior quarterback Dak Prescott announced he would be returning for his senior campaign. Prescott held a press conference Wednesday afternoon to make his decision public. “I looked at some of the NFL quarterbacks like Peyton Manning and Andrew […]
By Gene Phelps Special to the Chickasaw Journal VARDAMAN – Madarius Hobson hit a little bit of everything in his offensive arsenal Tuesday, but he was still held under his 23-points-per-game average. Houlka’s multi-talented 6-foot-1 freshman guard scored all 21 of his points in a lopsided first quarter to lead the Wildcats (15-4, 1-0) to […]
OKOLONA – It was classic Mississippi high school hoop that went down to the wire. The Houston Hilltoppers boys and girls traveled to Okolona and both pulled off wins with the boys going down to the last few seconds and the girls game going into overtime. Houston 57, Okolona 56, Houston’s Caleb Morgan […]
- COPES: Super Moms honored May 20, 2015
- Houston tourism tax vote set for Aug. 11 May 18, 2015
- Cook comes home to Houston May 21, 2015
- East Webster pitching halts Taylorsville May 21, 2015
- GAME ONE: Toppers fall hard in late innings May 21, 2015
- Houlka Homecoming 2015 is this weekend May 22, 2015
- Houston aldermen discuss Park & Recreation funds May 22, 2015
- East Webster toppled by inside-the-park HR in Game Two May 21, 2015
- Okolona graduates urged to excel May 21, 2015
- Police seek Dollar General bandit May 21, 2015
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- Tg007.net: if you want the town to grow stop taxing the busin...
- i’m engaged, you can be too | architecture | equality: […] the design and related impacts of a new...
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago