Colton Peel was spotted on the hill this summer throwing for Houston Maroon under the watch of umpire John Ryan Porter. Peel will be a freshman this fall and Porter is in the nursing program at ICC.
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
Two local student athletes made a trip to Atlanta, Ga., recently for the World Wood Bat National Championship and they were in good company. Houston’s Luke Hancock and Tanner Smith joined over 3,500 players from 184 teams in the pool-play tournament. The boys play with the P360 Elite 15U team based out of Jackson and […]
The annual Houston High School baseball alumni game will be held July 7 with registration beginning at 5 p.m. Entry fees are $10 for the home run derby and $10 to participate in the game. Coach Scott Gann encourages players, former players and fan to attend. “Come on out and enjoy some old Topper pride,” […]
Andrew Griffin was spotted outside the dugout June 12 getting set for a Vardaman Rams JV game in Houlka. He is the son of Boo and Cherry Griffin of Vardaman.
Swimming, fishing, hiking, canoeing and camping were just a few of the summer sports enjoyed by local and area boys last week in Houston. Throw in pioneering, orienteering and cooking you have all the makings of annual Boy Scout camp. This year, Scouts from Troop 19 in Houston, Troop 17 in Okolona and Troop 30 […]
The Tanglefoot Trail opened this spring and has seen many visitors from other areas coming to Houston to utilize the facility that runs through Chickasaw, Pontotoc and Union counties but it’s also drawing good support from the hometown folks. Joyce East of Chickasaw Development Foundation said increasing tourism was always a factor in creating the […]
Several local and area softball players were tapped to participate in the All-Star softball game recently. Vardaman’s Grace Edmondson, who has committed to play for Northeast Community College next season, pitched the last three innings of the game and was tagged with the win for the West 1A-2A team. Shown from left are Vardaman coach […]
The Houlka Wildcats and Vardaman Rams are just about to close out their summer seasons of varsity and JV baseball, using the extra month of play to help solidify their 2015 teams. Vardaman battled East Webster to a draw June 17 in what turned out to be a marathon match. “They went into extra innings […]
It’s official. Two weeks after being named interim head coach, Sean Cannon was officially introduced as the new head football coach at Itawamba Community College during a press conference at the David C. Cole Student Services Building on Tuesday. “I feel very blessed to not only be a head football coach, but a head football […]
The Houston high school baseball team came out of MHSAA playoffs, went straight into the summer ball season and now are heading to another championship series. Houston White participated in the Northeast Mississippi Coaches Association for Better Baseball regional tournament last week, winning two and dropping one, to claim a spot in the championship round. […]
While looking for recreation and activities this summer, don’t neglect the amenities right here at home. Davis Lake Recreation Area is in the heart of Chickasaw County and boasts a 200-acre lake offering boating, skiiing, fishing and swimming opportunities. And for those who prefer more than just a day trip, camping sites are available from […]
The ball keeps on bouncing Local basketball teams working through summer By Lisa Voyles Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – High school basketball season wrapped up the end of February, right? Not necessarily. Local hoops players have a full slate this summer getting ready for the fall season. “Everyday except for Friday,” said coach Vernessa Gates of […]
Houston White was back on the diamond June 2 facing Kossuth and earned a split in the double-header. Coach Scott Gann said he was pleased with their overall performance and is looking for the team to work out their kinks. “Game One we played extremely well,” Gann said. “We hit the ball with authority and […]
The Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP) and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers are hosting a youth fishing rodeo at the Grenada Lake catfish ponds on Saturday, June 14. The fishing rodeo is open to youth 15 years and under; registration begins at 8 a.m. The ponds are located on the north […]
- Anchor Alzheimer Challenge September 24, 2014
- WEEK 6: High school football scores September 27, 2014
- WEEK 6: Football Roundup September 27, 2014
- RENEE CUNNINGHAM: Common Core; Do the math September 27, 2014
- Future of farming September 28, 2014
- EPA conducts water quality study on Chico Creek October 1, 2014
- WEEK 6: AP high school football state rankings September 30, 2014
- Senate not only race on November ballot September 30, 2014
- Houston donates bus to Chickasaw EMA September 30, 2014
- Enterovirus D68 confirmed in Calhoun County September 30, 2014
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- Carol Mac: I went to the Tupelo run, and I have some advice f...
- Candace R.: If that isn't nepotism, what is??? The solution ...
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago