By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal BRUCE – As the Okolona Chieftains and Lady Chieftains took the floor Friday in Bruce, both teams were looking gain momentum heading into tournament play. Although the Lady Chieftains fought late, they were defeated 56-27, but the Chieftains got a big win over the Trojans […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
Basketball scores from around the state for Tuesday, Feb. 16, 2016 games, with games with local teams at top. Division 4-4A at Louisville (G) Houston 59, Noxubee Co. 57, OT (B) Caledonia 63, Houston 55 (G) Louisville 37, Caledonia 23 (B) Louisville 75, Noxubee Co. 64 Division 4-2A at Winona (G) East Webster […]
OKOLONA – Bobby Ford knows a thing or two about basketball. The former Chieftain coached more than 800 high school basketball games, won a state championship and coached basketball for more than 30 years. He’s looking forward to the Harlem Ambassadors coming to town. The Ambassadors bring their family-style basketball show to […]
HOUSTON – He’s smart, fast, a leader and he was an easy pick for the Itawamba Community College Indians. Houston Hilltopper Kevonte’ Marble signed his name to an National Letter of Intent last week at ceremonies held in the Commons area of Houston High School. Marble was listed as both a tight end […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – It was senior night in Houston Friday as the Hilltoppers and Lady Toppers hosted the Wildcats from Louisville for the last regular season home game. Unfortunately, the Lady Hilltoppers struggled to get out of the starting blocks early and were defeated57-34 […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal It’s official. Myrtle will begin its football program this fall after the Mississippi High School Activities Association approved the request on Thursday. “Everybody is excited,” said Myrtle assistant principal Justin Hollis, who will serve as the Hawks’ coach. “The community is fired up, these kids can’t wait.” Myrtle – which […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – In sports there is no higher honor than to have a perfect, undefeated season. And Houston Middle School has double the reason to celebrate as both the seventh and eighth grade girls basketball teams notch undefeated 15-0 records this year. The seventh grade girls outscored their opponents […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – They are growing a football program in Houlka, with the 2015 edition of the Wildcats finishing the season on a positive note and earning a variety of awards at their football banquet last week. Houlka is working to build a football field and played every game on the […]
I’ve found as I get older that I am not wowed by great events and grand dreams that draw me so intensely. I’ve discovered it is the little things and smaller moments that catch my eye, intrigue me and make me think. Yes, I still have a couple of big ideas that I want to […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – As the Okolona Lady Chieftains and Chieftains took the floor again host East Webster, both teams were looking secure a win and valuable momentum as the season heads down the home stretch. Although the Lady Chieftains were defeated in game one, 59-9, the […]
By Logan Lowery Daily Journal STARKVILLE – Mississippi State appeared to be on the verge of a sub-par signing class until a pair of local highly rated prospects helped its cause. The Bulldogs received commitments and national letters of intent from Noxubee County five-star defensive end Jeffrey Simmons and Starkville four-star defensive tackle Kobe Jones […]
By Parrish Alford Daily Journal OXFORD – Signing day didn’t end with the tidal wave Ole Miss coaches might have hoped for, but it ended with a good splash nonetheless. The Rebels did not receive an advance public commitment from Starkville wide receiver A.J. Brown, but picked up his signature Wednesday morning. Brown is ranked […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The 2015 Hilltopper football season was a stellar year for the team and individual players and the Houston Touchdown Club, fans and parents honored those achievements at their annual banquet. “Every year and every team is different but this was a special bunch,” said Houston football coach […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal PHEBA – Every young athlete dreams of making it to the next level in their favorite sport. Most fail to realize this dream, but a select few achieve it. Friday morning, Jan. 15, on the campus of Hebron Christian School, two athletes realized a dream, […]
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings April 25, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- NFL DRAFT: Tunsil falls to Miami in coach pay scandal, Jones misses 1st Round April 29, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago