The Tanglefoot Trail opened this spring and has seen many visitors from other areas coming to Houston to utilize the facility that runs through Chickasaw, Pontotoc and Union counties but it’s also drawing good support from the hometown folks. Joyce East of Chickasaw Development Foundation said increasing tourism was always a factor in creating the […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
Several local and area softball players were tapped to participate in the All-Star softball game recently. Vardaman’s Grace Edmondson, who has committed to play for Northeast Community College next season, pitched the last three innings of the game and was tagged with the win for the West 1A-2A team. Shown from left are Vardaman coach […]
The Houlka Wildcats and Vardaman Rams are just about to close out their summer seasons of varsity and JV baseball, using the extra month of play to help solidify their 2015 teams. Vardaman battled East Webster to a draw June 17 in what turned out to be a marathon match. “They went into extra innings […]
It’s official. Two weeks after being named interim head coach, Sean Cannon was officially introduced as the new head football coach at Itawamba Community College during a press conference at the David C. Cole Student Services Building on Tuesday. “I feel very blessed to not only be a head football coach, but a head football […]
The Houston high school baseball team came out of MHSAA playoffs, went straight into the summer ball season and now are heading to another championship series. Houston White participated in the Northeast Mississippi Coaches Association for Better Baseball regional tournament last week, winning two and dropping one, to claim a spot in the championship round. […]
While looking for recreation and activities this summer, don’t neglect the amenities right here at home. Davis Lake Recreation Area is in the heart of Chickasaw County and boasts a 200-acre lake offering boating, skiiing, fishing and swimming opportunities. And for those who prefer more than just a day trip, camping sites are available from […]
The ball keeps on bouncing Local basketball teams working through summer By Lisa Voyles Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – High school basketball season wrapped up the end of February, right? Not necessarily. Local hoops players have a full slate this summer getting ready for the fall season. “Everyday except for Friday,” said coach Vernessa Gates of […]
Houston White was back on the diamond June 2 facing Kossuth and earned a split in the double-header. Coach Scott Gann said he was pleased with their overall performance and is looking for the team to work out their kinks. “Game One we played extremely well,” Gann said. “We hit the ball with authority and […]
The Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP) and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers are hosting a youth fishing rodeo at the Grenada Lake catfish ponds on Saturday, June 14. The fishing rodeo is open to youth 15 years and under; registration begins at 8 a.m. The ponds are located on the north […]
Blue and white is still on the baseball diamond as the Vardaman Rams have switched over to the summer season. The Rams struggled some during the regular season and are using the summer to boost the program with extra playing time. “The more playing time they get, the better they become,” said coach Brad Spencer. […]
Houston Maroon had a successful week on the diamond, picking up three wins in two days of action. The Houston boys hosted Vardaman June 2 and started off strong in Game One holding a 2-0 lead through the second before the Rams got on the board. The Rams scored in the top of the third […]
NCAA College World Series Glance At TD Ameritrade Park Omaha Omaha, Neb. Double Elimination x-if necessary Saturday, June 14 Game 1 — UC Irvine (40-23) vs. Texas (43-19), 2 p.m. Game 2 — Louisville (50-15) vs. Vanderbilt (46-19), 7 p.m. Sunday, June 15 Game 3 — Texas Tech (45-19) vs. TCU (47-16), 2 p.m. Game […]
Houlka High School held a combined sports award banquet May 13, recognizing student athletes from all sports throughout the year. Football awards n Coaches award, Sawyer Byars n Most Improved, Anthony Boyd n Mr. Versatility, Tyreque Reed n Best Lineman, Josh Clair n Best Special Teams, Wyatt Esterly n Best Deffensive Player, Q. Beaty n […]
“Go get it, throw it in! Good job!” Grady Nabors’ positive words could be heard on the Houston High School baseball field last week as he took younger boys through fielding drills during baseball camp. Nabors has good reason to be so encouraging to the potential Hilltoppers. It wasn’t that long ago he was in […]
- County opens bids for AgriCenter roof September 16, 2014
- MDWFP BRIEFS: Weapon changes for deer hunters September 20, 2014
- WEEK 5: High school football scores September 20, 2014
- BILLY MCCORD: As I see it September 20, 2014
- MSMS to host info meeting in Oxford September 20, 2014
- LETTER TO EDITOR: Zora Cousin September 22, 2014
- Houston gets grant for fire loop September 22, 2014
- Shempert/Norwood September 21, 2014
- Making their special day, extra special September 21, 2014
- Pontotoc liquor vote tied with five ballots out September 20, 2014
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- Carol Mac: I went to the Tupelo run, and I have some advice f...
- Candace R.: If that isn't nepotism, what is??? The solution ...
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago