By David Wheeler Special to the Chickasaw Journal TUPELO – Tupelo’s pitching ran out of gas, and the Houston Hilltoppers were more than happy to zoom past for a road win. With key hits by Zach Poteete and Reid Carter, Houston accounted for four runs in the top of the seventh against five Tupelo pitchers […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
HOUSTON – When East Webster comes to town to play softball against the Lady Hilltoppers, you can bring your matches, because it will be a barn-burner! The Lady Hilltoppers and Lady Wolverines scored 39 runs – East Webster scored 10 in the top of the seventh – but Houston came to the plate in the […]
HOUSTON – It’s a game of pitching and hitting and when you can do both, you win – and you win big. Houston pitchers fanned 17 Noxubee Tigers in last week’s double header and the guys stepped to the plate and notched 29 hits over eight innings. Houston won the first game 18-0 and took […]
The Mississippi Department of Wildlife Fisheries and Parks has released its 2014 Bass Tournament Summary and is urging local anglers can use that data to land their lunker. Statistics show 2014 was another good year for Mississippi’s bass tournament anglers based on 217 tournament reports. Average statistics for all lakes in 2014 were very similar […]
Hoyt Smith killed his first turkey on March 11, 2015 while hunting with his Daddy. The turkey had a 10-inch beard. Hoyt is the 11-year-old son of Andy and Deanna Smith of Houston.
HOUSTON – The crowd showed up, the teams showed up and Houston tennis served up a series of matches last week. A top-notch East Webster squad was the second opponent for the Hilltopper Netters played South Pontotoc before the rain started more than a week ago. Houston fell to both East Webster and South Pontotoc […]
HOUSTON – The Lady Hilltoppers are always good, but how good are they? The softball sweethearts of Houston bounced back to down a tough Kosciusko squad 4-3 Thursday and showed up Saturday and took a 9-5 victory from South Pontotoc. “The Kosciusko team is one of the best in the state and to win like […]
JACKSON – It’s tough to know creel limits, slot size and the finer points of fishing state waters, but finding fishing regulations on Mississippi’s lakes and rivers has just gotten easier. The Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP) Fisheries Bureau has launched a new interactive map that will help anglers learn about fishing […]
By Logan Lowery Daily Journal STARKVILLE – Ben Howland had been waiting on the right time and place to make his return to coaching. Two years removed from leading UCLA to a Pac-12 Conference title and his 10th trip to the NCAA Tournament, Howland decided that opportunity was at Mississippi State. Howland was introduced as […]
JACKSON—Remember those magical summer days from your youth spent exploring the outdoors? Now, your children can experience similar adventures! Register them for the “Go Outdooors … Camp” or the “Jr. Naturalist Camp” hosted by the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks’ Museum of Natural Science to be held in June 2015! “Campers spend their […]
By Logan Lowery Daily Journal Mississippi State made quick work in hiring its next men’s basketball coach. According to ESPN’s Jeff Goodman, the Bulldogs have reached a verbal agreement with Ben Howland to become the program’s 20th head coach and is expected to be in Starkville today. The university has yet to confirm the report. […]
HOUSTON – The Hilltoppers squeezed in two baseball games at the Houston Tournament Monday, March 9, having been snowed out the previous week and rained out the remainder of the week. And they won both of them, pounding Bruce 8-2 and stopping a Belmont rally, 3-2. Houston 8, Bruce 2 The game against […]
Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP) fisheries biologists predict mixed success in 2015 on the Corps of Engineers’ flood control reservoirs (Arkabutla, Sardis, Enid, and Grenada Lakes), based on sampling completed last fall. One to two pound largemouth and white bass were abundant in Sardis and Arkabutla Lakes, but the biggest largemouth bass […]
BOONEVILLE – The Itawamba Community College softball team split their MACJC North Division opener on Saturday in Booneville against the Northeast Mississippi Community College Lady Tigers. The Lady Indians (8-4, 1-1) picked up a 13-3 five-inning victory in the first game of the day before dropping a 4-3 decision to the Lady Tigers (3-4-1, 1-1) […]
- Houlka trustees Ok demolition, infrastructure details July 27, 2015
- Woman charged with trying to sell her baby July 30, 2015
- Ole Miss begins season No. 15 in coaches poll July 30, 2015
- County elections are Tuesday, Aug. 4 July 31, 2015
- Two charged in Calhoun County death July 31, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: A hot political summer August 3, 2015
- School immunization required August 2, 2015
- 2015-16 Back to School Supply lists for Houlka, Houston, Okolona August 2, 2015
- PERS retirees must stay vigilant August 2, 2015
- Mayors takes issue with column August 1, 2015
- Jimmie Hardin: I for one cared that it was a week late. I live in...
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- Greg Schmidt: This is good news because this is one of the most ...
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago