The Houston New Century Club will host its Pink Ribbon 5K Run/Walk in conjunction with the Houston Flywheel Festival Saturday, Sept. 27. The annual event kicks off Saturday’s Flywheel Festival with runners gathering at Joe Brigance Park and running or walking the course that morning to raise funds to fight breast cancer. Trophies are given […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
AREA SCORES Friday Aberdeen 57, Itawamba AHS 29 Booneville 43, Tishomingo Co. 28 Bruce 25, West Bolivar 12 Calhoun Aca. 33, N. River Christ. 28 Calhoun City 20, Ripley 12 Choctaw Co. 28, Houston 26 Coffeeville 48, Thrasher 0 Corinth 52, New Albany 13 East Webster 33, Caledonia 23 Falkner 33, Hamilton 26 Hatley 41, […]
JACKSON – New for the upcoming 2014-15 deer hunting season are changes in “legal weapons” regulations for private lands in Mississippi. During any open season on deer with primitive weapons after Nov. 30, deer hunters may use any legal weapon of choice on private lands. This regulation change was made during the 2013 Legislative Session […]
OKOLONA – The Chieftains played their hearts out but victory evaded them on Homecoming night as the Blytheville Choctaws won 25-24. Okolona fell behind early but battle back for a whirlwind fourth quarter that saw them take the lead. A couple of questionable calls allowed the Choctaws to score the last points and stalled a […]
HOUSTON – The Lady Hilltopper started with a bang as they scored 12 runs in their first at bat and came back in the second inning to score five more. Houston notched 16 hits in the 17-3 vitory over Calhoun City last week. Hilltopper Talaja Echols hit a homer in the first inning to inspire […]
HOUSTON – Hilltopper senior running back Brandon Townsend has several nicknames: Boosie, Big Boy and The Bus. And the wheels on The Bus went round and round as Townsend and the Houston offense ran long and ran hard in a 26-7 win over East Webster Friday night. Houston has a tendency to win ballgames where […]
Football may be the game of the week but the Southeastern Conference managed to work in some hoops news recently with the release of the men’s basketball league schedule. Ole Miss will begin conference play on the road for the 13th time in the last 17 years as the Rebels travel to Kentucky on Jan. […]
HOUSTON – The Battle of the Creek between Houston and Okolona has a history that is at least twice as old at the young gridders who played Friday night’s cross-county matchup. And while Houston was not expected to dominate the contest like they did this this year, a couple of Hilltoppers remember two games where […]
DALLAS – What a whirlwind it has been for former Ranger and NJCAA First Team All-American left tackle Donald Hawkins. It’s one that could change his life forever. Hawkins, who played the 2010-11 seasons at Northwest Community College and the 2012-13 seasons for the Texas Longhorns, was released by the Philadelphia Eagles, picked up and waived […]
HOUSTON – When Houston decided to run the football against the Okolona Chieftains on Friday night, the Hilltoppers were running downhill. Two running backs powered for 283 yards as the Hilltoppers rushed past Okolona 44-6, in the long-running, cross-county contest billed as the Battle of The Creek. “We played a complete game tonight,” Houston coach […]
EUPORA – They play a tough brand of softball in Webster County and Houston just couldn’t find the hits they needed as they lost 7-2. Houston (6-4) got four hits in a seven-inning contest against Eupora (8-1) in a game that was a lot closer than the score. Houston was down 2-1 in the sixth […]
FULTON – Pittsboro native Adam Gore, who is beginning his fifth year at Itawamba Community College, has been named director of Sports Information. Gore succeeds Will Kollmeyer, who will join the SEC Network as a broadcaster for Ole Miss Athletics, later this month. “To say that Will’s leaving big shoes to fill is an understatement, […]
Here are Mississippi’s top high school football teams in each class as selected by a panel of Associated Press state sports writers. Class Overall School W-L Pts Prv 1. Starkville (10) (3-0) 136 1(tie) 2. South Panola (4) (3-0) 128 1(tie) 3. Madison Central (3-0) 93 3 4. Tupelo (3-0) 79 5 5. Oxford (2-1) […]
AREA GAMES Thursday Ripley 64, Falkner 13 Friday Aberdeen 36, Amory 28 Baldwyn 30, Mooreville 14 Belmont 35, Tishomingo County 21 Benton County 54, Biggersville 0 Caledonia 46, Smithville 13 Calhoun Aca. 42, North Sunflower 12 Calhoun City 28, Water Valley 7 Coffeeville 36, Bruce 13 Corinth 45, Lewisburg 27 East Webster 28, Nettleton 7 […]
- Houston centralizes purchasing December 11, 2014
- BIRTHDAY: Mary Ruth Johnson December 14, 2014
- Pulling it all together December 15, 2014
- Correctional Facility goes into lockdown December 15, 2014
- MHSAA announces new alignment December 15, 2014
- Reaching out to offenders December 17, 2014
- Houston superintendent’s contract not renewed December 17, 2014
- Topper Old Timer December 16, 2014
- United Furniture to expand in former Lane building December 16, 2014
- Take a bite out of Christmas crime December 16, 2014
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- Sad for Our Kids: Bravo! You've done your job as an advocate for a...
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago