OKOLONA – Basketball coach Arteria Clifton was busy teaching science at Okolona High School Monday morning, but his mind was somewhere between last week’s last second victory over Hollandale-Simmons and this week’s matchup with Bassfield at the state playoffs in Jackson. “It’s tournament time and it’s a whirlwind,” said Clifton. “This is my first time […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
HAMILTON – Madarius Hobson outscored Smithville. The Houlka freshman’s 23 points: one more than the Seminoles in a less-than-dramatic 83-22 win in Thursday’s Division 4-1A semifinals. At that point it was anybody’s guess how far Houlka (23-4) would go, but Smithville and the rest of Class 1A knew the Wildcats were serious about the journey […]
By Gene Phelps Daily Journal The remaining first-round games of the MHSAA girls basketball playoffs postponed Monday and Wednesday because of Winter Storm Remus are expected to be played today. Most of the boys’ first-round games were played Tuesday. A few were rescheduled for today. Some girls teams, including Itawamba AHS and Ripley, were able […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal Many of Monday’s girls North tournament basketball games have been postponed due to potentially icy road conditions. Boys tournament openers were scheduled for Tuesday, with the second round scheduled for Saturday. Girls’ second-round games are scheduled for Friday. Here is the new schedule, as best we can tell, via texts, […]
HOULKA WILDCAT 1975 GRAND SLAM CHAMPIONS. Members of the 1975 Houlka Lady Wildcat State Championship team were honored between the boys and girls basketball game Friday at Houlka Gym. Houlka Coach Jimmy Guy McDonald, who coached that team, presented a trophy to each Lady Wildcat.
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal Friday’s icy North Mississippi weather forced division basketball tournament schedules to slip and slide. Mass scheduling confusion eventually left 14 games to be played on Friday, the remaining games left on today’s still-busy slate. The highest-ranking matchup of the 13 area tournaments is still scheduled for tonight at Northeast CC […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal HAMILTON – Madarius Hobson outscored Smithville. The Houlka freshman’s 23 points: one more than the Seminoles in a less-than-dramatic 83-22 win in Thursday’s Division 4-1A semifinals. Who knows how far Houlka (23-4) will go, but Smithville and the rest of Class 1A knows the Wildcats are serious about the journey […]
HOULKA – The intensity, emotion and home crowd all played favor to the Wildcats’ victory at Senior night Friday night. Houlka hosted West Union at Houlka Gym and the Eagles, a talented non-conference team with a lot of youth, just didn’t have the answer for the homestanding Wildcat boys’ hot offensive and defensive play. Houlka […]
FULTON, MS – The Itawamba Community College football coaching staff welcome 35 new faces to the program on Wednesday, the first day of the national signing period. “It’s always an exciting day when you bring new guys into your program,” said ICC Football coach Sean Cannon. “We felt like we were able to get some […]
JACKSON — Landowners, managers and hunters wanting to learn how to develop their land for turkey and quail can take part in a seminar on Feb. 27. The Mississippi State University Extension Service and the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks are organizing the workshop, which will begin at 8:30 a.m. at the Mississippi […]
HOUSTON – Every year is different in high school football because the players are different. “This was a very special bunch of guys to me,” said Houston football coach William Cook of the 2014 Houston High School football team. “They were young, they were smaller than just about everybody we played and they stayed after […]
HOULKA – On one side of the court they were building a lead, on the other, well let’s just say they kept it competitive. Houlka Wildcats hosted Ingomar Falcons on Saturday afternoon at Houlka gym with a good crowd on hand to watch good basketball. The Houlka Boys team is on a tear, winning the […]
CALHOUN CITY — When it comes to sports Calhoun City Wildcats knows the game of basketball. The top ranked Wildcats took a couple of Friday night hoop win over the Vardaman Ram boys and girls teams. The Wildcat boys moved on to a overall record of 21-5 and a perfect 5-0 record in district with […]
Itawamba Community College has scheduled its cheerleader and mascot tryouts for 3 p.m. April 22 in the Fitness Center Gym located on the Fulton Campus. All participants are required to attend both two-day clinics scheduled for March 4-5 and March 18-19 in the Fitness Center Gym. Cost of the clinics is $40 for two sessions. […]
- COPES: Super Moms honored May 20, 2015
- Big fish, big smile May 20, 2015
- Houston heads to state championship May 20, 2015
- Cook named HSD superintendent May 21, 2015
- Cook comes home to Houston May 21, 2015
- Houlka Homecoming 2015 is this weekend May 22, 2015
- Houston aldermen discuss Park & Recreation funds May 22, 2015
- East Webster toppled by inside-the-park HR in Game Two May 21, 2015
- Okolona graduates urged to excel May 21, 2015
- Police seek Dollar General bandit May 21, 2015
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- Tg007.net: if you want the town to grow stop taxing the busin...
- i’m engaged, you can be too | architecture | equality: […] the design and related impacts of a new...
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago