MACON – Houston faced a tough and top-ranked Noxubee County football team and took a 34-10 loss from the Tigers, but now turn their attention to a First Round Playoff game with Lafayette on Friday. Houston lost their 1,000-yard running back Brandon Townsend last week and called on a variety of players against Noxubee to […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
OKOLONA – Houlka took the field Friday night with a cold wind blowing and six starters either out for the season or nursing injuries that did not allow them to play the Coldwater Cougars in a key District 1A, Region 1 matchup. Houlka, (1-8, 1-6) saw their top running back/quarterback Tyreque Reed suffer a neck […]
PHEBA – Senior Night is a critical night in the life of every gridder and the Hebron Eagles went out with a bang as they down Calhoun Academy in a critical district match up. Hebron topped the visiting Cougars from Calhoun County, 54-30 and came out of the gate strong and finished strong. Hebron struck […]
HOUSTON – Jim Stites is a sticker for detail and that suits him well as band director for the Houston High School band program. Stites is in his second year a band director and carried the Topper Pride Marching Band to Tupelo recently for the MHSAA Region 1 Marching Band Festival where they competed against […]
Aberdeen 52, South Pontotoc 14 Baldwyn 48, New Site 20 Belmont 30, Alcorn Central 12 Calhoun City 54, Okolona 0 Coffeeville 53, Falkner 0 Coldwater 50, Houlka 6 Corinth 33, Amory 7 Hatley 35, East Union 7 Hebron 54, Calhoun Academy 30 H.W. Byers 54, Potts Camp 41 Itawamba AHS 31, Tishomingo County 14 Kossuth […]
OKOLONA – Houlka found themselves down 34-13 in the fourth quarter, but no one ever told them the game was over. The Wildcats recovered two onside kicks to close the gap and were driving for the winning score when the clock ran out Thursday night in their district contest in Okolona against the Biggersville Lions, […]
HOUSTON – The Hilltoppers 40-21 win over West Lauderdale should put them in the playoffs, but it came at a high price. The Hilltoppers jumped out to a 20-7 lead in the first quarter and looked to have the game in control, then senior fullback Brandon “Boosie” Townsend broke his leg on a run the […]
PHEBA – Hebron Christian welcomed their district foe and undefeated Central Academy Vikings to Homecoming Friday night named their queen and claimed the victory. Miss Hali Whitt was crowned Homecoming Queen and the Eagles took the field with Landon Hill taking the opening kickoff 75 yards for the touchdown. A Collin Moore run for the […]
HOUSTON – The Hilltoppers put together four quarters of football and walked out of the stadium winners as they downed Leake Central, 23-20 in a key district matchup Friday night. Houston running back Brandon Townsend went over 1,000-yards on the year, place kicker Wes Parker kicked a 34-yard field goal and defense repeatedly rose to […]
AMORY – It takes the best to beat the best and the Lady Hilltoppers were stopped in the second round of the MHSSA softball playoffs by the Lady Panthers, but only after three games Saturday afternoon. The Hilltoppers had downed Kosciusko in two games Thursday and bounced right back for Saturday contest. They lost the […]
JACKSON – The Tennis Foundation of Mississippi has announce that Marvin “Marty” Pearson of Oxford is the 2014 inductee into the Mississippi Tennis Hall of Fame. Marty has long been associated with tennis in the state and through his play, support, and instruction has left an unmistakable imprint on Mississippi tennis. Marty’s tennis career began in Houston, […]
Briona Gordillo, center, was named Houston High School 2014 Homecoming Queen at Halftime of Friday’s football game at Topper Field. Shown with Gordillo are 2013 Houston Homecoming Queen Michelle Vazquez, left, and escort Samuel Gordillo.
The Magnolia football madness continues. For the first time, Mississippi State holds the top ranking in college football. The Bulldogs (6-0) took over the No. 1 ranking in both the Associated Press media and the USA Today coaches’ polls on Sunday afternoon, overtaking defending national champion Florida State (6-0). Ole Miss (6-0) is No. 3 […]
HOUSTON – The band played and the homecoming queen was crowned but the Hilltoppers could not top a strong Kosciusko team Friday night. Houston (3-5, 0-2) unveiled a passing game and tried to back it up with the run. Koscuisko (6-2, 1-1) used a good mix of passing and rushing to grab a 21-0 halftime […]
- Trustees consider search consultant January 22, 2015
- Houston ponders tourism tax January 26, 2015
- Comer is chairman of ICC Trustees January 26, 2015
- Battle of Okolona re-enactment set January 27, 2015
- United needs to fill 300 jobs – quickly January 27, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: The culture of the Super Bowl January 29, 2015
- EDITORIAL: A tough job January 29, 2015
- County seeks to refinance jail bonds January 29, 2015
- Locals serve on Indian Delegation January 28, 2015
- State Auditor recovers $70,000 For City of Greenville January 28, 2015
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago