Daily Journal reports JACKSON – Vardaman led Monday’s Class 1A state tournament girls semifinal game by five points headed into the fourth quarter, but lost two key starters in the final eight minutes and fell 49-47 to Shaw. “I thought we played hard, we just got in foul trouble (6-2 center Brittany Hawkins, guard Diamond […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
By Gene Phelps Daily Journal JACKSON – Two Class 1A girls teams – Biggersville and Vardaman – are more than just happy to be here. They are focused on winning a gold ball. Biggersville (21-8), powered by senior Jada Tubbs, defeated West Lowndes 49-28 Thursday in the state tournament quarterfinals at Jackson State. She scored […]
BOONEVILLE, – The Northeast Mississippi Community College softball program showcased its deep pitching staff on the opening day of the annual TigerFest Tournament. The Tigers held their opponents to just four total runs during a perfect afternoon on Friday, Feb. 19 that featured victories against Lincoln Trail (Ill.) College, East Central (Mo.) College and […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – It was all smiles for the Houlka Wildcats and their fans on Saturday night. In an intense game that pitted the Houlka Wildcats against the Myrtle Hawks with the winner advancing to Jackson to pursue a state title, the Wildcats of Houlka outlasted the […]
VARDAMAN – Vardaman’s big finish turned the tide in a close game Friday night as the Lady Rams knocked off Myrtle 74-69 in a second-round Class 1A state tournament game. In a game where the lead was never bigger than seven points, Shylysses Rimmer busted two back-to-back 3-pointers. One of them signaled the final […]
By Ethan Turner Chickasaw Journal COLDWATER – It was a tough night for the Lady Wildcats as they faced the Coldwater Lady Cougars Monday night in the first round of the north-half playoffs. Although holding a slim halftime lead, the Lady Wildcats (7-21, 2-3) fell behind late and couldn’t overcome the late deficit, […]
MHSAA STATE BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT QUARTERFINALS Thursday, March 3 9:00 AM — Class 1A Boys: Simmons vs. Leake County at Mississippi Coliseum 10:30 AM — Class 1A Boys: Ashland vs. Durant at Mississippi Coliseum 12:00 PM — Class 1A Boys: Biggersville vs. West Lowndes at Mississippi Coliseum 1:30 PM — Class 1A Boys: Houlka vs. Sacred […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal COLUMBIA, Tenn. – Richy Harrelson can check off another milestone on his already impressive list of accomplishments during what has become an impressive career in the sport of baseball. Harrelson captured his inaugural victory as Northeast Mississippi Community College’s head coach in a 4-2 triumph over Columbia State […]
(MHSAA State Tournament-Second Round) GIRLS Class 1A Biggersville 84, Coldwater 68 Shaw 58, Pine Grove 58 West Union 54, Hamilton 38 Vardaman 74, Myrtle 69 Bogue Chitto 70, Durant 54 McAdams 81, Salem 56 Nanih Waiya 70, Stringer 42 West Lowndes 75, Lumberton 66 Class 2A Baldwyn 65, Leland 39 W. Tallahatchie 41, East Webster […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – The Wildcats looked to avenge an earlier season loss to the Coffeeville Pirates and in the process, win a division title Saturday night in front of the homecrowd. And thanks to tough defense and key baskets down the stretch, the Wildcats inched out […]
By Floyd Ingram Chicksaw Journal WINONA – Okolona and Calhoun City could meet once again in the Mississippi High School basketball tournament. These two teams have met three times this year and Calhoun City won both in the regular season – 86-84 and 78-71. City also won the opening round championship with a, […]
Okolona, Houlka, Calhoun City, Pontotoc and Shannon all notched wins on a cold rainy night in gyms across Northeast Misssissippi Tuesday. The First Round of the Mississippi High School Activities Association basketball tournament is over and team move on to the second round this weekend. Houlka plays Myrtle at home in the friendly confines of […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Scores from Monday, Feb. 22, 2016 games GIRLS Gentry 65, Houston 49 Coldwater 51, Houlka 45 Vardaman 62, Ray Brooks 49 Calhoun City 69, Riverside 52 East Webster 57, Leflore Co. 40 Leland 57, Bruce 40 Pontotoc 59, Ripley 32 New Site 69, Water Valley 29 West Point 65, Lewisburg […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal High school basketball shifts into a new playoff format this week with the two opening rounds of MHSAA state tournament played on school courts. Girls play begins Monday with 38 teams from the Journal’s coverage area in action, led by top-ranked Booneville. Monday’s winners advance to games on Friday […]
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago