HOUSTON – The Lady Hilltoppers are always good, but they gave an indication of just how strong they can be with a 13-0 victory over Vardaman last week. The Toppers had 11 hits, including a triple and game ending home run, then played flawless defense that saw no Vardaman baserunner advance beyond second. “I thought […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
OKOLONA – Northeast Mississippi kicked off the 2014 fall football season in Okolona last week with the Houlka Wildcats facing the East Union Urchins in a Thursday night tilt that saw East Union come out on top 21-12. The Urchins gave Houlka it chance but secured the win on a 10-yard touchdown scamper by Cage […]
HOUSTON – Two Houston athletes have been named to the top of their class by the Mississippi Elite Underclassmen Showcase by BSN Sports. The 2014 Most Valuable Players selected by coaches and scouts are: • Luke Hancock, Houston, Class of 2018. • Tanner Smith, Houston, Class of 2017. • Jacob Wilcher, Kossuth, Class of 2016. […]
Thursday East Union vs. Houlka (at Okolona) Friday Aberdeen at Shannon Amory at Independence Baldwyn at Nettleton Benton County at H.W. Byers Biggersville at Alcorn Central Bruce at North Pontotoc Coffeeville at Calhoun City East Oktibbeha at Okolona East Webster at Vardaman Ethel at Mantachie Grenada Kirk at Marshall Academy Grenada at West Point Hamilton […]
WEST LOWNDES – They weren’t perfect but the Houston Hilltopper hit hard and did what they had to do to take a 9-8, pre-season win Friday afternoon. The Hilltoppers showed they can do a variety of things as they ran, passed and even kicked a field goal to win their two-quarter contest with Bessemer Academy, […]
ENON – Hunters wanting to hone their skills just before dove season are being urged to attend the Enon Skeet Shoot hosted by the Enon Hunting Club this coming weekend. The event will see participants shoot five shots from five stations from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at the range east of […]
WALNUT RIDGE, Ark. – Brennan Pugh of Houston, has been awarded an Academic Excellence Scholarship to attend Williams Baptist College. The scholarship is awarded to students transferring to WBC from other institutions, based on their academic achievements. Pugh is a graduate of Houston High School. He is the son of Lee and Millette Nabors of […]
New Site has spent a lot of money to make all those Jackson trips to the MHSAA state girls basketball tournament. From 2008 to 2013, the Lady Royals went to five straight. That’s a total of nine trips – 10 if you count a coaches scouting trip. Keep track even further and it’s “around 12” […]
BOONEVILLE – Northeast Mississippi Community College’s women’s hoops program concluded another successful summer with its annual Lady Tiger Basketball Camp for future hard-court star being held June 25-27 at legendary Bonner Arnold Coliseum. The three-day event was open to any girl in the fifth through eighth grades. Several experienced area coaches aided Northeast head coach […]
HOUSTON – It’s a hard, rough game that requires protection and padding. The Houston Hilltopper football team held their first practice in pads Friday night as part of the annual Midnight Madness celebration that saw the team blocking and tackling under the lights at Topper Field. The community showed up to watch the team run […]
BOX Aug. 28, 7 p.m. at Cophiah-Lincoln, Wesson. Sept. 6, 7 p.m. at Jones County, Ellisville. Sept. 11, 7 p.m. Holmes at Fulton. (Military Night) Sept. 20, 2 p.m. at Northwest Senatobia. Sept. 25, 7 p.m. East Mississippi at Fulton. Oct. 4, 1 p.m. Coahoma at Clarksdale. Oct. 9, 7 p.m. Northeast at Fulton. Oct. […]
HOUSTON – It’s just a pickup game of football but its also an indication that some in Houston are more serious about football than others. This summer, while most of us drank our morning coffee, athletes were gathering at Houston High School football field to stretch, run and play a friendly game of football with […]
HOUSTON – The community will get their first look at the 2014 edition of the Houston Hilltopper football team Friday night as this year’s squad hits the gridiron at the stroke of midnight. The Mississippi High School Athletic Association has strict rules for when teams can begin practice and Houston will play the game as […]
STARKVILLE – Mississippi State wanted a more challenging non-conference schedule in Rick Ray’s third season to reflect a finally full roster. The Bulldogs released their 13-game non-conference slate on Wednesday. It features eight home outings and another at Mississippi Coliseum in Jackson on Dec. 20 against South Carolina Upstate. MSU will welcome Western Carolina, Mississippi […]
- Houston investigates racial slur October 24, 2014
- McClain earns Sonic’s Hall of Fame award October 28, 2014
- DAR: Patriotism, God and country October 28, 2014
- Sweater drive underway October 29, 2014
- Number 1 October 29, 2014
- Sweet Potato Festival set for Saturday October 31, 2014
- Wildcats fall to Biggersville October 30, 2014
- Houston eyes playoffs October 30, 2014
- FLOYD INGRAM: Houston isn’t a bad place to live October 30, 2014
- Trustees, Senator, judges on ballot October 30, 2014
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- Sad for Our Kids: Bravo! You've done your job as an advocate for a...
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago