HOUSTON – Who’s No. 1? Houston Middle School! Houston Middle School students and teacher put a new spin on the Mississippi State/Ole Miss Egg Bowl last week with student taking their first benchmark assessment of the year, given a chance to put their score behind their favorite team. With their first benchmark assessment coming up, […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
HOULKA – The Houlka used power and good defense to down North Pontotoc and the Lady Vikings turned around and did the same things to the Houlka girls, handing them a loss. The Wildcats played – well like wildcats in their win over North Pontotoc Monday night. The boys from Houlka played an aggressive style […]
HOUSTON – The Hilltopper hoopers put together a complete game as a fiesty group of Houlka Wildcats came to play last week in a nip-and-tuck, cross-county contest. The game was close from start to finish with Houlka leading 12-11 at the end of the first quarter. Houston held a 29-28 lead at the end of […]
VARDAMAN – It’s a rebuilding year for the Rams as they field two seniors and lost their entire starting five last year to graduation and transfers out of the district. “I am going to count on a lot of young guys to grow up fast,” said Vardaman basketball coach Tim Vaughn. “We’re small and inexperienced, […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Over the past several hunting seasons, Mississippi deer hunters have harvested some of the largest white-tailed deer on record. Mississippi is beginning to be acknowledged as one of the top white-tailed deer states in the nation. This was highlighted in the June/July 2013 issue of Outdoor Life magazine. Outdoor […]
HOULKA – Houlka has always been a basketball town and a newly renovated gym has the Wildcats looking to bring a few more wins to the facility that has seen much basketball. Houlka basketball coach Jimmy Guy McDonald has been teaching and coaching for 46 years and he has seen a lot of those games. […]
OKOLONA – The Chieftains lost four seniors but they will field five this year with a strong group of guys to back them up. “We’re beginning to find ourselves and we are playing well,” said Okolona basketball coachArteria Clifton . “We’ve got a good team and will play a lot of guys every game. “We […]
HOUSTON – The Hilltoppers are loaded and if they can just aim and shoot they should hit the tournament target this year. The Houston boys lost three seniors this year and have found a few new players as they reload for the 2014-15 basketball season. “We’ve got some real player and we’ve got some kids […]
OKOLONA – At one time in his life, Michael Stafford was forced to play golf. He worked for his brother, who had a standing game, and Stafford was expected to participate each week. “He gave me a set of clubs and I played with him and I hated it,” said Stafford, a 43-year-old Pontocola resident. […]
FULTON – Houston native and Itawamba Community College athlete Sharone Wright recently earned the Bennie Abrams LEGACY award from ICC and he was also named to the Capital One Academic All-District team. Wright is a sophomore at ICC and was presented with the Bennie Abrams award during a special ceremony before the Indians home-opener against […]
STATE PLAYOFFS QUARTERFINALS Class 1A Coffeeville 40, Shaw 0 St. Aloysius 49, Broad Street 8 Nanih Waiya 24, Resurrection Catholic 0 Cathedral 42, Pelahatchie 13 Class 2A East Webster 21, Hollandale Simmons 8 Calhoun City 28, Bruce 14 East Marion 38, Mize 26 Bassfield 60, Taylorsville 27 Class 3A Kemper County 52, Aberdeen 14 Charleston […]
OKOLONA – The Chieftains stood just a little bit taller than the Nettleton Tigers Friday night in a high school hoop contest that was anybody’s game until the final frame. Nettleton relied mainly on one player to produce points while Okolona spread it around and ended up with the victory, 71-63. “We started slow but […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal Calhoun City has bowled over opponents this season, scoring in bunches – 42.4 points per game. That’s about 33 points more than the Wildcats’ defense needed, on average. The offensive numbers get the headlines, deservedly. Calhoun City (12-0), the state’s top Class 2A team, has rushed for 319.2 yards per […]
LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The Northeast Mississippi Community College softball program has maintained its longtime standard of fielding one of the best scholastic squads in the entire country. The Tigers were selected as one of the Top 10 All-Academic Teams in the junior college division by the National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) for the 2014 campaign. […]
- 1975 Grand Slam Champions February 22, 2015
- School, business, industry and institution closing February 25, 2015
- Weather prompts outages, closings, curfews February 26, 2015
- Winter lingers in Chickasaw County February 27, 2015
- PREP BASKETBALL PLAYOFFS: Houlka and Okolona still dancing February 27, 2015
- DANIEL GARDNER: God given rights February 28, 2015
- GOP federal prosecutor to challenge Hood for AG February 27, 2015
- Agri-Center shaping up February 27, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: Quality of life February 27, 2015
- Houlka smashes Smithville, falls to Coffeeville February 27, 2015
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago