Blue and white is still on the baseball diamond as the Vardaman Rams have switched over to the summer season. The Rams struggled some during the regular season and are using the summer to boost the program with extra playing time. “The more playing time they get, the better they become,” said coach Brad Spencer. […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
Houston Maroon had a successful week on the diamond, picking up three wins in two days of action. The Houston boys hosted Vardaman June 2 and started off strong in Game One holding a 2-0 lead through the second before the Rams got on the board. The Rams scored in the top of the third […]
NCAA College World Series Glance At TD Ameritrade Park Omaha Omaha, Neb. Double Elimination x-if necessary Saturday, June 14 Game 1 — UC Irvine (40-23) vs. Texas (43-19), 2 p.m. Game 2 — Louisville (50-15) vs. Vanderbilt (46-19), 7 p.m. Sunday, June 15 Game 3 — Texas Tech (45-19) vs. TCU (47-16), 2 p.m. Game […]
Houlka High School held a combined sports award banquet May 13, recognizing student athletes from all sports throughout the year. Football awards n Coaches award, Sawyer Byars n Most Improved, Anthony Boyd n Mr. Versatility, Tyreque Reed n Best Lineman, Josh Clair n Best Special Teams, Wyatt Esterly n Best Deffensive Player, Q. Beaty n […]
“Go get it, throw it in! Good job!” Grady Nabors’ positive words could be heard on the Houston High School baseball field last week as he took younger boys through fielding drills during baseball camp. Nabors has good reason to be so encouraging to the potential Hilltoppers. It wasn’t that long ago he was in […]
The National FFA Organization awarded a $2,500 Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A. Inc, scholarship to Chapman Boyer of Houston to further his educational goals. Boyer, a May gradaute of Houston High School has been a member of the FFA through the Houston School of Science and Technology for five years and was selected Jr. Star Farmer […]
Mark your calendar for National Fishing and Boating Week June 1 – 8, a national celebration of fishing and boating. June 7 and 8 are designated as “Free Fishing Days” in Mississippi and any person may sport fish without a license. In addition, daily permits to fish at state fishing lakes and parks are not […]
Houston’s Team White started the summer season in a positive way with two wins over East Webster May 27. Houston White and the Wolverines went scoreless through three innings although both managed to put runners on the bags. Houston’s Reid Carter and Justin Kimbrough both drew walks but were stranded as was East Webster’s Chase […]
The Okolona Chieftains didn’t quite get the final result they were looking for but certainly stood their ground against the Aberdeen Bulldogs in the spring jamboree May 15. The 3A Bulldogs took a 34-22 win over the 2A Chieftains but Okolona coach Jack Clark saw plenty of positive action on the field. “(It was a) […]
The event may be a month away, but spots are filling up quickly for the third annual Deedy Griffin Three-Person Scramble and golfers are encouraged to sign up soon to reserve a place in the line-up. The tournament, named for longtime businessman and avid golfer Deedy Griffin, has a limited number of spaces and organizer […]
Houston’s Nathan Smith was selected to play in the Northeast Mississippi Football Coaches Association All-Star game May 22. Smith, a graduating senior from Houston High School, played for the West squad in the gridiron event held at Northeast Community College in Booneville. Smith was joined on the West squad by other area players including Donta […]
The Hilltoppers ran through a positive season this spring, snagging a second place spot in division and culminating their efforts with a stand at North Half. The Toppers placed as runners-up in 4A North Half and coach Scott Gann said the team worked throughout the season for their success. “We started out sluggish and lost […]
The Houston Lady Hilltoppers capped off a successful year on the diamonds all the way around. During the 2013 slow pitch season, the Houston girls clinched a division championship to extend their season into the first round of playoffs. The fast pitch season brought even more success as the Lady Toppers earned a North Half […]
“Thursday’s game were a great end to a great spring,” said Houston’s coach William Cook following the spring jamboree in Shannon May 15. Cook had plenty of reason to be happy with the team’s performance as they scored wins over both the hosting Red Raiders and New Albany’s Bulldogs. The Toppers used a 60-yard run […]
- Color For A Cause seeks runners August 20, 2014
- City Clerk resumes reviewed August 18, 2014
- City, CDF discuss Tanglefoot trailhead August 15, 2014
- Pugh earns WBC scholarship August 20, 2014
- Enon Hunt Club to host sheet shoot August 21, 2014
- Color For A Cause is Saturday August 22, 2014
- CUNNINGHAM: Developing Common Core standards August 22, 2014
- Okolona school bond vote is Tuesday August 22, 2014
- WEEK ONE: High school football schedules August 21, 2014
- Mobile Vet Center coming to Houston August 21, 2014
- Carol Mac: I went to the Tupelo run, and I have some advice f...
- Candace R.: If that isn't nepotism, what is??? The solution ...
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...
- Pat Southerland: It is interesting to see that Mrs. Dendy is resign...
- Michael Mcalpin: So glad to have this service back locally....
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago