All local public schools are getting set for district basketball tournaments and Vardaman coach Deanna Winter has her Lady Rams sharpening their skills. The Vardaman girls wrapped up the regular season as the top seed for tournament, but saved some tough competition for their final week. The Lady Rams fell to West Union Feb. 4 […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
Houston High School held senior recognition for the basketball team and cheerleaders Feb. 7.
After starting district play strong, the Lady Toppers dropped two division games last week, just when they needed them most. The Houston girls fell to Kosciusko Feb. 4, after posting a district win over the Lady Whippets in their first meeting this season. Friday night, they saw a 15-point halftime lead turn into a 55-60 […]
Three generations of Hilltopper basketball fans were spotted at the HHS/West Lauderdale game Feb. 7. Sharon Morgan, his daughter Danielle Morgan and grandson Aiden Parks were all in the house cheering for the Toppers and Lady Toppers.
The Lady Eagles dominated, while the Eagles had to battle back, but both teams came out of district tournament and are headed into the first round of North Central playoffs this week. Lady Eagles fly through district The Hebron girls came off a JV district championship last week and carried their momentum into varsity tournament, […]
Houston School District decided to not hold classes on Tuesday about 8 p.m. Monday night. The decision was made by the Central Office after looking at local weather forecasts. Students will make up the snow day on President’s Day Feb. 17 which was initially scheduled as a staff development day without students in class. State […]
Youth base/softball registration is ongoing through the month of February. Parents may register children Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Houston City Hall. A $50 registration fee applies to the first child and additional children in each family will be charged $45. A birth certificate is required for each child even […]
Powerlifting season has begun with the Hilltoppers placing fourth as a team at the Amory Invitational. The team competed against Amory, West Point, Starkville, Pontotoc, East Union, Hatley, Aberdeen and Falkner at the Jan. 23 meet and four team members brought home individual medals. n Jared Bean, first in 114-pound class n Jalon Gates, second […]
ICC head soccer coach Mike Sullivan announced Sunday, Feb. 9 as the tryout date for the upcoming 2014 Lady Indians and Indians soccer teams. Tryouts for the women’s squad will be from 2 to 3 p.m. while tryouts for the 2013 MACJC North Division champion men’s team will go from 3 to 4 p.m. at […]
The time for high school basketball district tournaments is closing in and the Eagles and Lady Eagles of Hebron will break the ice this week in Pittsboro. The Hebron teams closed out their regular seasons on a positive note with the Eagles carrying a 7-1 district record and the Lady Eagles entering tournament at 8-0. […]
The Lady Rams wrapped up district play undefeated at 5-0 and have two solid weeks of work ahead before entering 4-1A district tournament in mid-February. “We have our toughest two week stretch coming up against some really solid opponents,” said coach Deanna Winter. The Lady Rams are taking a six-game winning streak into the final […]
Hebron Christian School held senior recognition during the HCS/Central Academy game Jan. 21 to honor four team members who will graduate later this spring. Hayden Carty, Brandon England, Alaina Hill and Subrina Oswalt, along with family members, were recognized during the ceremony and coach Bruce Franks addressed their contributions to the Eagles and Lady Eagles […]
Many high school freshmen are just beginning to think about their futures and the class at Houston High School recently got a few words of encouragement from NFL player Johnthan Banks. Banks is originally from Maben and graduated East Webster High School. HHS counselor, Susan Allen, invited him to address the class Jan. 28. “He […]
Briona Cruse was spotted on the court during halftime of the HHS/Calendonia girl’s game. Cruse is in the sixth grade at Houston Middle School and participated in a scrimmage match with her classmates.
- LOCAL FOCUS: Rutherford Chiropractic March 5, 2014
- Senior night March 7, 2014
- All runs come to an end March 7, 2014
- Reading is learning March 7, 2014
- WINTER JAM: Christian music festival sells out at BancorpSouth Arena March 7, 2014
- Lenten lunches begin Wednesday March 11, 2014
- HOSA students moving on to State March 11, 2014
- Friends of Scouting dinner coming March 11, 2014
- Lady Toppers softball camp March 29 March 11, 2014
- Topper football pictures sought March 11, 2014
- Marathon set for Tanglefoot Trail | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Trail opening was top story for 2013 [...
- Tickets issued for dogs in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Robertson speaks to Okolona Aldermen [...
- DOCKET: Circuit Court in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Circuit Court verdicts imposed in Okolon...
- WEDDING: Earnest/Morgan | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] E.J. Earnest […]...
- 60th ANNIVERSARY: Rad & Betty Clark | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Ralph Coggins […]...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 9 months ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 9 months ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 9 months ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 9 months ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 9 months ago