By Josh Hill Special to Chickasaw Journal The Houston Hilltoppers seemed to have hit their stride with a back-and-forth style that has allowed them to advance to the Mississippi High School Activities Assocation North Half semifinals this week. The Hilltoppers proved they could get the job done over Itawamba AHS in a two-out-three contest […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal HOUSTON – Zack Poteete became a hero without a hit, but his bat has Houston one win away from a trip to the Class 4A state baseball championships after a 2-1 win over Lafayette. Tied at a run apiece in the eighth inning of Tuesday’s North championship series opener, the […]
HOUSTON – It was cool and damp and perfect weather for runners wanting to raise money to find a cure for cancer. Team Hope hosted its bi-annual Pink Ribbon 5K at the Houston Spring Flywheel Festival recently with good times recorded by a large field of runners. Saturday, April 23, dawned cloudy and cool with […]
Former Itawamba Community College football standout Tim Bowens was inducted into the Mississippi Association of Community and Juniors Colleges (MACJC) Sports Hall of Fame in a special ceremony held in Jackson on Tuesday. Bowens’ athletic prowess was first recognized when he earned All-District honors in football as a junior at Okolona High School before grabbing […]
HOULKA – He was a star football and basketball player, but when it came to picking the sport that will pay for college, Tyreque Reed chose baseball. Reed is a key part of the success the team has had this spring and Houlka plays Smithville this week for the North State championship and a chance […]
By Melissa Meador Monroe Journal SMITHVILLE – Smithville is hitting its offensive stride deep in the playoffs. The defending champ Noles pounded out double-digit runs for the second game in a row, grabbing a 14-6 win over Houlka to start out 1-0 in their Class 1A baseball semifinal series. “Today our hitting came around just […]
By Scotty Nichols Itawamba Times HOUSTON – The third round of the playoffs isn’t the ideal time to fight through multiple defensive lapses. Itawamba AHS made four errors in Tuesday night’s first inning alone, and Houston made them pay with four quick runs. That early 4-0 deficit would prove to be more than IAHS would […]
After earning their second straight District 3A Championship last week the Hebron Christian Eagles advanced to the first round of the MAIS playoffs against Central Holmes Academy of Lexington. The Eagles took game one on Tuesday behind the 5-1/3 innings of pitching from Payton Griffin. Drew Myatt came on in relief to close out the […]
HOUSTON – The Hilltoppers jumped into the first round of the Mississippi High School Activities Association playoff this past week and carried the best two-out-three series to the hilt. Homefield seemed to help both squads as Houston took the first game Thursday against Amory, 9-5, traveled to the Panther Den Friday where they fell, 8-7, […]
HOUSTON – The emotional roller-coaster ride has begun with the Houston Hilltoppers winning the District4, 4A title on Thursday and turning around and faltering on Saturday. “I told them to get some rest this week and realize we have to win two games a week for the next four weeks,” said Houston baseball coach Scott […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal Somehow, Michael Seger is getting more basketball and more family time, at the same time. Seger, after five years as Hickory Flat’s head boys coach, has been named the new boys and girls basketball coach at East Webster. “Doing both teams allows me to narrow my focus on the coaching […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal HOUSTON – Houston does a lot of things well on the baseball field. The Hilltoppers hit well, field well, pitch well, but they also get along well. Shortstop Denver McQuary insisted that is what drives them, not their chances to compete for a Class 4A championship. “We’re just trying to […]
By David Wheeler Special to the Chickasaw Journal TUPELO – Tupelo’s pitching ran out of gas, and the Houston Hilltoppers were more than happy to zoom past for a road win. With key hits by Zach Poteete and Reid Carter, Houston accounted for four runs in the top of the seventh against five Tupelo pitchers […]
HOUSTON – When East Webster comes to town to play softball against the Lady Hilltoppers, you can bring your matches, because it will be a barn-burner! The Lady Hilltoppers and Lady Wolverines scored 39 runs – East Webster scored 10 in the top of the seventh – but Houston came to the plate in the […]
- Houlka eyes old fines as revenue July 24, 2015
- Fusion Furniture expanding in Ecru July 28, 2015
- Area trio earns ICC scholarships July 28, 2015
- Area residents graduate ICC program July 28, 2015
- Houlka’s Hobson on rise July 29, 2015
- Ole Miss begins season No. 15 in coaches poll July 30, 2015
- Woman charged with trying to sell her baby July 30, 2015
- Run right! Go long! July 30, 2015
- County will keep inmates for free July 30, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Who deserves your vote? July 30, 2015
- Jimmie Hardin: I for one cared that it was a week late. I live in...
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- Greg Schmidt: This is good news because this is one of the most ...
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago