TONIGHT’S FEATURED GAMES CORINTH AT ABERDEEN THE PLAYERS Corinth: Senior QB Antares Gwyn totaled 2,500 yards last season. He has an offer from Alcorn State. … LB Deonte Keith is only 5-foot-8, but is a ball of fury at LB. … ATH Javen Morrison was clocked at a sub-4.5 at Mississippi State. He may be […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal OXFORD – Houston looked good Saturday afternoon. The Hilltoppers scored four times and shut out South Pontotoc, 28-0, in a two-quarter scrimmage as part of the Oxford Jamboree Aug. 17. And Houston got better as the game developed. The Hilltopper scored on two long, grinding drives, a long pass play […]
BOONEVILLE – Northeast Mississippi Community College’s softball program continues to rewrite its historical records after another prosperous campaign. The Tigers had 10 student-athletes that were picked for Mississippi Association of Community and Junior Colleges (MACJC) All-North Division honors. It is the most individual accolades of any ball club in the league this season. It […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal STARKVILLE – Mississippi State senior quarterback Dak Prescott was one of 30 signal callers nationally named to the Manning Award watch list, the Allstate Sugar Bowl announced Thursday. The award is the only national quarterback award which includes candidates’ bowl performances in its balloting. Prescott was a finalist […]
By Carey Miller Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Paralympic Silver Medalist Shaquille Vance is on the road to the 2016 Paralympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Vance, an amputee since 2010 due to an accident in his junior year of high school, competed in the London 2012 games and won a […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal One cousin is at one place, one cousin is at another. Both are stars. Despite rumors that will continue to surface, likely for three more years, Robert Woodard will play basketball for Columbus and Ma’Darius Hobson will play for Houlka. For now, anyway. But for AAU team Da House, the […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – The USPA National Powerlifting Meet was held July 10-12, in Las Vegas, with Okolona lifters Barry Gladney and Sherrod Bowens competing in the event. Bowen, who lifts in the 242-pound class, competed Sunday July 12 for an overall complete total of 1,570.4. He had lifts of: SQUAT […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal The NCAA has outlined serious rules violations committed at Southern Mississippi, finding multiple infractions by the men’s basketball program during former coach Donnie Tyndall’s tenure. The charges, which include arranging fraudulent academic credit, impermissible financial aid and obstructing the governing body’s investigation, were outlined in a notice of allegations released […]
By Parrish Alford Daily Journal Ole Miss will start the college football season at No. 15 in the Amway-USA Today preseason coaches poll, which was released Thursday morning. The Rebels are the fourth SEC West team ranked, following No. 3 Alabama, No. 7 Auburn and No. 13 LSU. Ole Miss is sandwiched between No. 14 […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Kevonti Marble is a senior tight end at Houston High School this fall and has played football since the seventh grade. He knows what to expect when football practice officially starts on Monday. “It’s going to be hot and they are going to push you,” said Marble. […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal SUWANEE, Ga. – Coaches and spectators typically have their focus on a particular player or team in AAU tournaments. Then another guy grabs their attention. One guy grabbing attention on this summer’s circuit is Da House guard Madarius Hobson, a 2018 recruit from Houlka. “We had heard a lot […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal TUPELO — Area students in grade six or above are encouraged to take advantage of free physicals offered by the Weston Reed Foundation from 8 a.m.-noon Saturday, Aug. 1, at the new Police Athletic League, 204 Douglas St. Parking is available behind the Police Athletic League building or next door […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – Due to a limited number of players, Houlka Attendance Center’s football program will drop out of the Mississippi High School Activities Association 1A division and play independent games this year, Superintendent Betsy Collums said this week. Only the football program will play independently; the school’s […]
STARKVILLE – Preseason accolades continue to pile up for Mississippi State football defensive lineman Chris Jones, with the two-year letterman and Houston native named to the watch list for the Nagurski Trophy and the Outland Trophy. The Football Writers Association of America announced Friday that Jones and defensive back Will Redmond were on the […]
- Vardaman wins homecoming, 48-7 October 1, 2015
- Chasing the dream October 6, 2015
- BIRTH: Carolyn Jayde King October 6, 2015
- State, federal duck stamps available online October 7, 2015
- Man shot in arm by 17-year-old girl October 7, 2015
- Lady Toppers claim District October 8, 2015
- CHASING THE SUN: Houston Solar Car team heads west to Australia October 8, 2015
- Toppers in control October 8, 2015
- Volunteers spruce up Tanglefoot Trail October 8, 2015
- Houlka teacher waives probable cause hearing October 8, 2015
- Gilbie Rivas: Hey ideas - I was enlightened by the info , Does a...
- George Edgar Worley: See Sparethekids.com and BeatingBlackKids.com for ...
- George Edgar Worley: WATCH Montel Williams on School Paddling of Studen...
- George Edgar Worley: #BlackLivesMatter ? #srebeducation Students to Sch...
- George Edgar Worley: WATCH Documentary Exposes the Brutally Violent TRU...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago