CALEDONIA – Houston stumbled to open its second season losing its first district game to the Caledonia Confederates Friday night. The game was close and just like the previous weekend at Eupora a high-scoring fourth quarter saw the Hilltoppers come up a little short. Houston (3-4, 0-1) and Caledonia (4-3, 1-0) played a classic ground […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
AREA SCORES Friday Aberdeen 41, Nettleton 0 Baldwyn 45, Mantachie 14 Biggersville 20, Vardaman 14 Booneville 55, Alcorn Central 6 Briarfield, La. 52, Calhoun Aca. 36 Caledonia 28, Houston 27 Calhoun City 56, Bruce 15 Corinth 49, Pontotoc 14 E. Webster 31, Okolona 22 Falkner 19, Thrasher 12 Grenada 14, Tupelo 11 Hamilton 46, Houlka […]
HOUSTON – The Houston High School cross country team recently ran in two Northeast Mississippi events with local trekkers posting solid times and taking home honors for the Hilltoppers. “The weather has gotten cooler and we should see times pickup,” said Patricia Ellison, Houston High School cross country coach. “I also want to point out […]
EUPORA – It as a fight to the death and Houston did not give up until the bitter end. Houston fell to Eupora, 36-28, in a hard-fought contest that saw the Hilltoppers battle back at the end, but it was not enough as the Eagles used the big play to seal the game Friday night […]
HOULKA – In slow-pitch softball they are going to get their hits, but Smithville has a tendency to hit them harder and farther. The Smithville Lady Seminoles topped the Lady Houlka Wildcats 15-0, Thursday after coming of a Tuesday night jaunt with Hamilton that saw Smithville hit 13 home runs. “We knew they were a […]
Associated Press Here are Mississippi’s top high school football teams in each class as selected by a panel of Associated Press state sports writers. Class Overall School W-L Pts Prv 1. Starkville (12) (5-0) 138 1 2. South Panola (2) (5-0) 128 2 3. Tupelo (5-0) 100 3 4. Picayune (4-0) 78 4 5. Oxford […]
Staff reports Oxford 43, West Point 22 Oxford took a big step to earning the top spot in Division 1-5A with a 43-22 win over West Point Friday night at McCallister Field. Down 22-8 late in the first half, the Chargers (4-1) scored just before the half and then really changed the complexion of […]
AREA SCORES Friday Aberdeen 42, Corinth 7 Amory 27, Bruce 0 Baldwyn 42, Tishomingo Co. 14 Calhoun Aca. 37, Strider Aca. 6 Calhoun City 54, N. Panola 6 Coffeeville 52, Biggersville 0 East Webster 38, J.Z. George 7 Eupora 36, Houston 28 Falkner 54, Houlka 0 Harding, Tenn. 30, Booneville 22 Hatley 48, TCPS 6 […]
HOUSTON – The Choctaw County Chargers lived up to their name as they charged back in the second half to score 21 points and top the Houston Hilltoppers 28-26 Friday night. Things looked good heading into halftime as Houston held a 20-7 lead over Choctaw County, but the elusive running of Charger quarterback Jamarcus Bradley […]
The Houston New Century Club will host its Pink Ribbon 5K Run/Walk in conjunction with the Houston Flywheel Festival Saturday, Sept. 27. The annual event kicks off Saturday’s Flywheel Festival with runners gathering at Joe Brigance Park and running or walking the course that morning to raise funds to fight breast cancer. Trophies are given […]
AREA SCORES Friday Aberdeen 57, Itawamba AHS 29 Booneville 43, Tishomingo Co. 28 Bruce 25, West Bolivar 12 Calhoun Aca. 33, N. River Christ. 28 Calhoun City 20, Ripley 12 Choctaw Co. 28, Houston 26 Coffeeville 48, Thrasher 0 Corinth 52, New Albany 13 East Webster 33, Caledonia 23 Falkner 33, Hamilton 26 Hatley 41, […]
JACKSON – New for the upcoming 2014-15 deer hunting season are changes in “legal weapons” regulations for private lands in Mississippi. During any open season on deer with primitive weapons after Nov. 30, deer hunters may use any legal weapon of choice on private lands. This regulation change was made during the 2013 Legislative Session […]
OKOLONA – The Chieftains played their hearts out but victory evaded them on Homecoming night as the Blytheville Choctaws won 25-24. Okolona fell behind early but battle back for a whirlwind fourth quarter that saw them take the lead. A couple of questionable calls allowed the Choctaws to score the last points and stalled a […]
HOUSTON – The Lady Hilltopper started with a bang as they scored 12 runs in their first at bat and came back in the second inning to score five more. Houston notched 16 hits in the 17-3 vitory over Calhoun City last week. Hilltopper Talaja Echols hit a homer in the first inning to inspire […]
- School ratings a shame November 16, 2014
- TIP IT OFF! November 20, 2014
- Roof concerns discussed again November 20, 2014
- Holiday stockpile November 20, 2014
- Volunteers need to answer the call November 20, 2014
- Brand, Wright honored by ICC November 22, 2014
- Mississippi jobless rate at 7.6 percent in October November 22, 2014
- WEEK 14: High school football playoff scores November 22, 2014
- Floy Dyer serving community seniors November 22, 2014
- Hunting is part of my heritage November 21, 2014
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- Sad for Our Kids: Bravo! You've done your job as an advocate for a...
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago