Grace Edmondson will finish out her senior season in blue and white with the Vardaman Lady Rams but will be wearing black and gold next season as a Lady Tiger at Northeast Mississippi Community College in Booneville. Edmondson signed a letter of intent with NEMCC March 26 accompanied by her family members and VHS coaches. […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
The Hilltopper golf team made big strides last week as they placed second in a match hosted on the home course shooting a combined 191. The field of competition included Bruce, Calhoun City, North Pontotoc, Vardaman and South Pontotoc and Houston’s Tanner Bullock took top individual honors, snagging his second medalist award with a 34. […]
No one said it would be easy to replace three dominant pitchers from the past two years, but the Lady Toppers haven’t shied away from the challenge. “We have to dig deep and play hard and this team has done that all year long,” said coach Jeffery Mann. Three-year starter, Haley Gravat, graduated in 2012 […]
Mississippi Delta Community College moved into first place in the North Division March 22 with a sweep of ICC. The Trojans defeated the Indians 6-5 in Game One and 11-6 in Game Two. Game One went to extra innings and Delta took the win on a sac fly. Houston’s Danny Springer batted in two runs […]
Ray and Jonathan Laney of Houlka had a successful hunting day March 30 as they killed two turkeys about a mile from their home. Both birds had 9-inch beards and 1-inch spurs and weighed between 18- and 20-pounds.
The Lady Rams had a win-lose week on the diamond, picking up a district win and dropping one to run even in district, the falling to South Pontotoc in non-division play. The Lady Rams beat South earlier in March but couldn’t keep their focus in the rematch March 24, taking a hard 15-0 loss. “We […]
Chris Jones received a lot of attention in 2013. From his suspenseful recruitment in January to his Freshman All-SEC performance last fall for Mississippi State, Jones drew his share of the spotlight during that calendar year. The former five-star standout from Houston High School appeared in all 13 games for the Bulldogs and earned three […]
The Lady Wolverines battled the breeze at Nikki Jones Memorial Field as they took on Calhoun City March 25 but despite the weather conditions, they Lady Wolves came down with a decisive 14-2 win. Coach Lee Berryhill was pleased with his team’s effort. “We played a good, solid team and came away with a win,” […]
The Rams dropped a district game to Tupelo Christian Prep March 28, but the Vardaman boys took it through nine innings of fierce competition. “It was a good game,” said Vardaman coach Boo Griffin. “We played really good early in and hit kind of a slump, but it seemed like we were getting it back […]
The Hilltoppers bats were on fire last week and that’s just fine with coach Scott Gann. “We are seeing the ball really well at the plate right now and this past week showed it,” Gann said. “Justin Kimbrough has really come on the past few weeks… Garrison Howell is leading the charge for us at […]
Laci Jo Fugett and Madison Bullard were spotted in the bleachers at a recent Vardaman baseball game watching their Rams play.
The Hilltopper tennis team had a short and unexpected break last week as their matches were rescheduled due to conflicts with other school activities. But they’ll be back in full swing this week as they have three district matches set for this week. The Toppers were set to host Noxubee County Tuesday and will play […]
Two local golfers snagged top honors on the links in separate outings. Vardaman’s Brandon Walker earned the medalist honor March 20 at the Pontotoc Country Club. Calhoun City won the match, but Walker shot a 37 for the low score. Cody McMahan, also playing from Vardaman, shot a 61. Houston’s Tanner Bullock was the medalist […]
The Eagles were a big winner in local and area baseball as they swept three games last week. Hebron 2 vs. Victory 1 Hebron and Victory both got off to a slow start with neither team recording offense on the scoreboard and both leaving three runners stranded through six innings. “I don’t know if it […]
- Glenda Gann April 23, 2014
- Cleo Boyce April 22, 2014
- Okolona cracks down on city travel April 22, 2014
- Manufacturing event set for Franklin Furniture Center at MSU April 21, 2014
- Pink ribbon run Saturday April 21, 2014
- Glenda Gann April 23, 2014
- Amber Alert issued for missing 2-year-old Lowndes County girl April 23, 2014
- Lions snatch victory from Wildcats April 23, 2014
- Houston hosts a who? April 23, 2014
- Paying it forward April 23, 2014
- help: They treat their employees like they are slaves wo...
- William: This is best content site Deer archery....
- Marathon set for Tanglefoot Trail | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Trail opening was top story for 2013 [...
- Tickets issued for dogs in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Robertson speaks to Okolona Aldermen [...
- DOCKET: Circuit Court in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Circuit Court verdicts imposed in Okolon...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 11 months ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 11 months ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 11 months ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 11 months ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 11 months ago