OKOLONA – The Chieftains lost four seniors but they will field five this year with a strong group of guys to back them up. “We’re beginning to find ourselves and we are playing well,” said Okolona basketball coachArteria Clifton . “We’ve got a good team and will play a lot of guys every game. “We […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
HOUSTON – The Hilltoppers are loaded and if they can just aim and shoot they should hit the tournament target this year. The Houston boys lost three seniors this year and have found a few new players as they reload for the 2014-15 basketball season. “We’ve got some real player and we’ve got some kids […]
OKOLONA – At one time in his life, Michael Stafford was forced to play golf. He worked for his brother, who had a standing game, and Stafford was expected to participate each week. “He gave me a set of clubs and I played with him and I hated it,” said Stafford, a 43-year-old Pontocola resident. […]
FULTON – Houston native and Itawamba Community College athlete Sharone Wright recently earned the Bennie Abrams LEGACY award from ICC and he was also named to the Capital One Academic All-District team. Wright is a sophomore at ICC and was presented with the Bennie Abrams award during a special ceremony before the Indians home-opener against […]
STATE PLAYOFFS QUARTERFINALS Class 1A Coffeeville 40, Shaw 0 St. Aloysius 49, Broad Street 8 Nanih Waiya 24, Resurrection Catholic 0 Cathedral 42, Pelahatchie 13 Class 2A East Webster 21, Hollandale Simmons 8 Calhoun City 28, Bruce 14 East Marion 38, Mize 26 Bassfield 60, Taylorsville 27 Class 3A Kemper County 52, Aberdeen 14 Charleston […]
OKOLONA – The Chieftains stood just a little bit taller than the Nettleton Tigers Friday night in a high school hoop contest that was anybody’s game until the final frame. Nettleton relied mainly on one player to produce points while Okolona spread it around and ended up with the victory, 71-63. “We started slow but […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal Calhoun City has bowled over opponents this season, scoring in bunches – 42.4 points per game. That’s about 33 points more than the Wildcats’ defense needed, on average. The offensive numbers get the headlines, deservedly. Calhoun City (12-0), the state’s top Class 2A team, has rushed for 319.2 yards per […]
LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The Northeast Mississippi Community College softball program has maintained its longtime standard of fielding one of the best scholastic squads in the entire country. The Tigers were selected as one of the Top 10 All-Academic Teams in the junior college division by the National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) for the 2014 campaign. […]
TROPHY ELK (Courtesy Photo) Retired Game Warden Danny Nicholson shot this 6X7 trophy Rocky Mountain Bull Elk while hunting in Northwest Colorado on Oct. 20, 2014 near Maybell. He shot the trophy at 360-yards with a .270-cal. Browning BAR rifle using a 130-grain Remington soft-point. Danny said he now spends time hunting the country and […]
AREA SCORES Friday Class 1A Playoffs (First round) Broad Street 47, Falkner 34 Shaw 39, Smithville 0 Class 2A Playoffs (Second round) East Webster 34, Baldwyn 7 Calhoun City 49, South Delta 0 Bruce 39, J.Z. George 6 Class 3A Playoffs (Second round) Aberdeen 66, North Pontotoc 30 Louisville 42, Mooreville 28 Charleston 35, Kossuth […]
OKOLONA – Houlka had a good first quarter, but a stronger and faster Smithville team came to town Thursday and left with their eyes on their next opponent and a possible state title. The Smithville Semioles (8-3, 6-2) were met with a stingy Wildcat defense but as the game wore on the Houlka (1-9, 1-7) […]
OXFORD — Turnovers and too many missed opportunities cost the Houston Hilltoppers a chance from moving on in the MHSAA Class 4A playoffs Friday night. Even though Houston forced four Lafayette turnovers in the first half, the Hilltoppers weren’t able to score enough to keep up with the Commodores. The end result was a 41-16 […]
Associated Press Here are Mississippi’s top high school football teams in each class as selected by a panel of Associated Press state sports writers. Note: There are no updated rankings for classes 4A, 3A and 2A because those teams began playoffs last week. Class Overall School W-L Pts Prv 1. Starkville (4) (11-0) 40 1 […]
AREA SCORES Thursday Regular season Falkner 43, Vardaman 21 Smithville 48, Houlka 0 West Point 65, Lewisburg 51 Friday Regular season Coffeeville 49, Hamilton 0 Starkville Aca. 31, Pillow Aca. 0 Tupelo 24, Olive Branch 7 Oxford 49, Lake Cormorant 13 Saltillo 32, New Hope 29 Starkville 56, Clinton 46 Thrasher 20, Coldwater 14 Class […]
- Supervisors name officers for 2015 January 19, 2015
- Gas goes under $2 January 23, 2015
- Howell, Carter ink with NE January 23, 2015
- United Furniture gears up for February opening in Verona January 23, 2015
- BIRTH: Sawyer Blayre Yeatman January 24, 2015
- Comer is chairman of ICC Trustees January 26, 2015
- Houston ponders tourism tax January 26, 2015
- ICC names fall graduates January 25, 2015
- Mr. Houston January 25, 2015
- Deputies raid underage party in Mooreville, adult charged January 24, 2015
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago