Mississippi Delta Community College sophomore first baseman Danny Springer was named the MACJC Baseball Player of the week for the week of Feb. 3. The 6’5” infielder was 3-of-7 at the plate for the Trojans with two homeruns, one walk, scored two runs and had two steals with three RBI. Springer is a graduate of […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
The Lady Rams came off a six-game winning streak with a 5-0 divison record, then they hit the last two weeks of the regular season. Coach Deanna Winter knew the final stretch would be a challenge as her team was pitted against several tough teams from larger schools, but she looked on it as a […]
Itawamba Community College will hold open tryouts for graduating high school seniors on Wednesday, February 26th at Eaton Field. Registration is $20.00 and will begin at 1:00 p.m. at the ICC Football Fieldhouse on the Fulton Campus. Participants are responsible for bringing cleats, street shoes, appropriate workout attire and must bring a valid athletic physical […]
The Okolona Chieftains and East Webster Wolverines ended their regular season the exact same way they started their playoff runs – eye-to-eye against each other. In their Feb. 13 match, the Chiefs came out on top, 66-53, but the Wolves didn’t go quietly. Okolona started off strong in the first with Javon Smith turning a […]
fter a strong start in district play, the Lady Toppers struggled with shooting and injuries in the latter part of the season, finishing 5-5 in district headed into tournament. However, as the coaches in the region decided to double up on district games, they have more knowledge of the teams they face and experience against […]
Bruce Franks took over 30 years of coaching experience to Hebron Christian School this year and is now leading both the boy’s and girl’s team into State playoffs. The young Lady Eagles, comprised of one senior and a host of underclassmen, have been the Cinderella team this season, blowing through district tournament and placing second […]
Students across Mississippi are invited to get outdoors and participate in the 2014 North Mississippi Fish Hatchery Youth Art Contest. Each student must submit a portfolio including entry form and artwork to the Visitor Education Center by May 15. The contest is sponsored by the Foundation for Mississippi Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks. Winners in four […]
Itawamba Community College picked up several area athletes for their 2014 football signing class Feb. 5. James Hervey, Cartin McBride and Levarious Varnado of Calhoun City and Terrence Jones of Bruce all inked their letters of intent to play for the Indians next fall.
A pre-audition workshop for Itawamba Community College’s Indianettes is scheduled for 9:30 a.m.- 12:30 p.m., Feb. 22, in the W.O. Benjamin Fine Arts Center auditorium at the Fulton Campus. A $10 fee will be charged for the workshop, which is designed for those who are interested in trying out for the squad. Indianette auditions will […]
Senior Austin Burdine led off the signing season for Houston High School Feb. 4 as he inked his letter of intent to play baseball for Mississippi Delta Community College. Delta coach Michael Avalon said he is looking foward to Burdine joining the Trojans on the diamond next season. “Throughout the recruiting process, we look for […]
All local public schools are getting set for district basketball tournaments and Vardaman coach Deanna Winter has her Lady Rams sharpening their skills. The Vardaman girls wrapped up the regular season as the top seed for tournament, but saved some tough competition for their final week. The Lady Rams fell to West Union Feb. 4 […]
Houston High School held senior recognition for the basketball team and cheerleaders Feb. 7.
After starting district play strong, the Lady Toppers dropped two division games last week, just when they needed them most. The Houston girls fell to Kosciusko Feb. 4, after posting a district win over the Lady Whippets in their first meeting this season. Friday night, they saw a 15-point halftime lead turn into a 55-60 […]
Three generations of Hilltopper basketball fans were spotted at the HHS/West Lauderdale game Feb. 7. Sharon Morgan, his daughter Danielle Morgan and grandson Aiden Parks were all in the house cheering for the Toppers and Lady Toppers.
- Extension gives out 1,600 trees March 3, 2014
- Lady Eagles wrap in Overall March 6, 2014
- Dale Weeks March 6, 2014
- FLOYD INGRAM: A dog named Sunday March 6, 2014
- Virginia Dopson March 6, 2014
- Big Bass! March 8, 2014
- Spring forward! March 8, 2014
- WINTER JAM: Christian music festival sells out at BancorpSouth Arena March 7, 2014
- Reading is learning March 7, 2014
- All runs come to an end March 7, 2014
- Marathon set for Tanglefoot Trail | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Trail opening was top story for 2013 [...
- Tickets issued for dogs in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Robertson speaks to Okolona Aldermen [...
- DOCKET: Circuit Court in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Circuit Court verdicts imposed in Okolon...
- WEDDING: Earnest/Morgan | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] E.J. Earnest […]...
- 60th ANNIVERSARY: Rad & Betty Clark | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Ralph Coggins […]...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 9 months ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 9 months ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 9 months ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 9 months ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 9 months ago