By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal BLUE MOUNTAIN – Peyton Callahan, a standout shortstop at Houston High School and Mississippi Delta Community College, signed a baseball scholarship with Blue Mountain College, Tuesday, May 19. The 6-foot-1, 180-pound Callahan, compiled a .254 two-year batting average at Delta, including a .263 in 2015. “We’re excited about not […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
Winning isn’t everything, but it sure is a lot better than losing. The 2014 Houston Hilltopper baseball team was defeated by St. Stanislaus Friday night and we hated that loss just as much as the boys on the field. If the umpire had seen the Game Two slide at third the way church-going folk in […]
By Floyd Ingram and Brandon Speck Chickasaw Journal PEARL – Houston fans will always believe Reid Carter was safe at third in Game Two of the 2015 4A Championship. The aggressive base-running that is a Hilltopper trademark and a winning strategy much of the season, showed its darkside as Houston was nipped in both […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON – The Commission on Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks finalized regulations for the 2015 alligator hunting season on public waters and private lands in Mississippi at its April meeting. The statewide public waters season will include opportunities in specific public waterways. A total of 920 permits will be […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON – A tradition unlike any other began this month. Grabbling, handgrabbing, handfishing, or noodling – whatever you call it – catching catfish with your hands is a popular way of fishing for a lot of Mississippians. The season opens May 1 and runs through July […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON – Mississippi has a new spring squirrel hunting season that will be open statewide May 15 – June 1. Hunters should note that the bag limit is only four squirrels per day during the spring season. In many ways, the spring season will be similar to the early part […]
By John Davis Oxford Citizen PEARL – Anfernee Sullivan knew as soon as he got a piece of Kolby Crowley’s pitch, he needed to run as fast as he could. What the Taylorsville senior didn’t know was that his line drive to center field would turn into an inside-the-park home run and keep the Tartars’ […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal PEARL – If the throw had been bobbled even for a split second, Garrison Howell would have been safe and would have likely later tied the game. It wasn’t bobbled. He wasn’t safe. And Houston lost its Class 4A series opener 3-2 to St. Stanislaus on Wednesday at Trustmark Park. […]
By Brandon Speck Special to the Chickasaw Journal OXFORD – Houston is playing in its first state championship baseball series in school history. The Hilltoppers (28-9) completed a Class 4A North finals sweep of Lafayette Thursday night with a 5-1 win on the road, a road that now leads to Trustmark Park. The Hilltoppers take […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Ezra Blissard is a good tennis player, and netters around the state found out just how good he was last week at the MHSAA Tennis Finals. Blissard to the Boys 4A Singles Tennis championship match 6-3, 2-6, 6-3 in a two-hour match against an older opponent from […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Two Hilltopper softball stars are moving on to shine on the diamond at Mississippi Delta Community College in Moorhead this fall. Talaja Echoles and Quaneisha Pratt made it official Friday, May 1, as family, friends, coaches and teammates gathered in the Commons at Houston High School to watch […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal PEARL – If stealing second base has to involve a flotation device, the state baseball championships may be moving from a start today to a Wednesday start. With water standing at second base at Trustmark Park, MHSAA officials were scheduled to make a decision sometime this morning on whether the […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – The Houlka Wildcats came on strong this spring and went three-rounds deep into the MHSAA Baseball Playoffs before falling to Smithville last week. The Wildcats fell in two games to a strong Smithville team with a 6-14 loss on Tuesday and the season ending 3-7 […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal Houston is headed to the first state championship baseball series in school history. The Hilltoppers (28-9) completed a Class 4A North finals sweep of Lafayette on Thursday night with a 5-1 win on the road, a road that now leads to Trustmark Park to take on today’s Game 3 winner […]
- Houlka eyes old fines as revenue July 24, 2015
- Fusion Furniture expanding in Ecru July 28, 2015
- Area trio earns ICC scholarships July 28, 2015
- Area residents graduate ICC program July 28, 2015
- Houlka’s Hobson on rise July 29, 2015
- Ole Miss begins season No. 15 in coaches poll July 30, 2015
- Woman charged with trying to sell her baby July 30, 2015
- Run right! Go long! July 30, 2015
- County will keep inmates for free July 30, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Who deserves your vote? July 30, 2015
- Jimmie Hardin: I for one cared that it was a week late. I live in...
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- Greg Schmidt: This is good news because this is one of the most ...
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago