HOUSTON – The crowd showed up, the teams showed up and Houston tennis served up a series of matches last week. A top-notch East Webster squad was the second opponent for the Hilltopper Netters played South Pontotoc before the rain started more than a week ago. Houston fell to both East Webster and South Pontotoc […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
HOUSTON – The Lady Hilltoppers are always good, but how good are they? The softball sweethearts of Houston bounced back to down a tough Kosciusko squad 4-3 Thursday and showed up Saturday and took a 9-5 victory from South Pontotoc. “The Kosciusko team is one of the best in the state and to win like […]
JACKSON – It’s tough to know creel limits, slot size and the finer points of fishing state waters, but finding fishing regulations on Mississippi’s lakes and rivers has just gotten easier. The Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP) Fisheries Bureau has launched a new interactive map that will help anglers learn about fishing […]
By Logan Lowery Daily Journal STARKVILLE – Ben Howland had been waiting on the right time and place to make his return to coaching. Two years removed from leading UCLA to a Pac-12 Conference title and his 10th trip to the NCAA Tournament, Howland decided that opportunity was at Mississippi State. Howland was introduced as […]
JACKSON—Remember those magical summer days from your youth spent exploring the outdoors? Now, your children can experience similar adventures! Register them for the “Go Outdooors … Camp” or the “Jr. Naturalist Camp” hosted by the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks’ Museum of Natural Science to be held in June 2015! “Campers spend their […]
By Logan Lowery Daily Journal Mississippi State made quick work in hiring its next men’s basketball coach. According to ESPN’s Jeff Goodman, the Bulldogs have reached a verbal agreement with Ben Howland to become the program’s 20th head coach and is expected to be in Starkville today. The university has yet to confirm the report. […]
HOUSTON – The Hilltoppers squeezed in two baseball games at the Houston Tournament Monday, March 9, having been snowed out the previous week and rained out the remainder of the week. And they won both of them, pounding Bruce 8-2 and stopping a Belmont rally, 3-2. Houston 8, Bruce 2 The game against […]
Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP) fisheries biologists predict mixed success in 2015 on the Corps of Engineers’ flood control reservoirs (Arkabutla, Sardis, Enid, and Grenada Lakes), based on sampling completed last fall. One to two pound largemouth and white bass were abundant in Sardis and Arkabutla Lakes, but the biggest largemouth bass […]
BOONEVILLE – The Itawamba Community College softball team split their MACJC North Division opener on Saturday in Booneville against the Northeast Mississippi Community College Lady Tigers. The Lady Indians (8-4, 1-1) picked up a 13-3 five-inning victory in the first game of the day before dropping a 4-3 decision to the Lady Tigers (3-4-1, 1-1) […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal JACKSON – Okolona was never able to shake off a shaky start. The Cheiftains were stuck with one made field goal much of the first quarter Saturday at Mississippi Coliseum, while Bay Springs ran off with the Class 2A state championship with a 74-58 win. It took nearly 3 minutes […]
By Gene Phelps Daily Journal JACKSON – Quantesha Patterson was East Webster’s go-to player all season. In Saturday’s MHSAA Class 2A State Tournament championship game, the lanky 5-foot-10 senior center was all that and more in the Lady Wolverines’ 68-64 comeback victory against West Tallahatchie in overtime. Patterson scored 39 points, 20 above her average, […]
JACKSON – For Mississippi’s nearly 50,000 turkey hunters, the day they have been anticipating is almost at hand. Spring turkey season opens March 14 and ends May 1. For hunters age 15 and under, the youth season began a week earlier on March 7. Expectations for the 2015 season are mixed. On one hand, much […]
By Gene Phelps Daily Journal JACKSON – Bailey, Smith, Spears. Three names basketball fans in Mississippi need to remember, three names West Tallahatchie would like to forget. Okolona freshmen Jaylon Bailey, Cameron Smith and Ladarius Spears rang up 53 points Thursday to lead the Chieftains to a 73-67 comeback win against West Tallahatchie in the […]
JACKSON – Not many outside Chickasaw County know much about the Okolona Chieftains. But out of nowhere, the ignored Chieftains are two wins away from a state championship. They will face the West Tallahatchie-Leake County winner on Thursday at Mississippi Coliseum. Okolona knocked off Bassfield 56-49 Monday at Jackson State in the Class 2A quarterfinals. […]
- Cook named HSD superintendent May 21, 2015
- Looking at the future May 24, 2015
- Monday morning Memorial Day May 24, 2015
- Click It or Ticket! May 25, 2015
- State of the Region Meeting is Wednesday May 26, 2015
- Eighty-two Toppers move tassel May 28, 2015
- 2015 alligator hunting seasons announced May 27, 2015
- Learning to give May 27, 2015
- MDEQ awards solid waste grant to Chickasaw County May 27, 2015
- Handgrabbing fishing season is open statewide until July 15 May 26, 2015
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- Tg007.net: if you want the town to grow stop taxing the busin...
- i’m engaged, you can be too | architecture | equality: […] the design and related impacts of a new...
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago