By Adam Gore Special to the Journal STOCKTON, Calif. – Odie Armstrong found himself standing on the pinnacle of the Arena Football League – again – when he and the San Jose SaberCats defeated the Jacksonville Sharks 68-47 to win Arena Bowl XXVIII on Saturday night Sept. 5. “It’s amazing,” said Armstrong, […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
AREA SCORES Friday Amory 22, Center Hill 17 Baldwyn 33, Saltillo 23 Booneville 42, Tishomingo County 25 Bruce 41, South Pontotoc 0 Calhoun City 50, Velma Jackson 30 Coffeeville 42, Hamilton 0 Corinth 45, New Albany 20 East Union 68, Alcorn Central 36 East Webster 49, Ray Brooks 6 Holly Springs 26, Coahoma County 6 […]
TONIGHT’S FEATURED GAMES Aberdeen (3-1) at Itawamba AHS (3-0) THE PLAYERS Aberdeen: QB Tramonte Prather is 58 for 96 for 868 yards, 8 TDs, 5 INTs. … Memphis commit Jerrick Orr has caught 25 passes for 443 yards and 3 TDs. … LB Tay Carothers has 11 tackles for loss. Itawamba AHS: QB Vijay Miller […]
Ethan Turner, Special to the Chicksaw Journal CALEDONIA – Defense and physicality was the name of the game as Okolona traveled to Caledonia and suffered two late game rushing touchdowns to fall to the Confederates, 17-6. The Okolona defense came to play and from the opening kickoff, the Chieftains defense played with […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – A perfect 3-0 Hilltopper football team ran into a perfect 3-0 East Webster squad Friday night and came out on the short end of the stick. Houston climbed on top early and carried a 13-7 lead into the halftime locker room, but the scrappy squad […]
By EthanTurner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – As a result of early offense and timely hitting, the East Webster Wolverines topped the Houston Hilltoppers 10-4 in softball Saturday afternoon in Houston as a part of the Houston Classic. After the loss, Hilltopper head coach Derick Kirby said that his team […]
AREA SCORES Friday Aberdeen 40, Calhoun City 34 Adamsville, Tenn. 28, Baldwyn 15 Belmont 28, South Pontotoc 23 Benton County 48, Potts Camp 7 Brandon 41, Tupelo 17 Caledonia 17, Okolona 6 Coffeeville 40, Vardaman 30 Corinth 62, Booneville 29 East Webster 21, Houston 13 Falkner 34, Coldwater 14 Hatley 35, Alcorn Central 7 H.W. […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – In a game that included lead changes, clutch hits and late-inning dramatics, the Houston Lady Hilltoppers softball team fell to the Mooreville Lady Troopers 8-7 Tuesday night in Houston. The Troopers started scoring in the first inning by plating one run, […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The Hilltoppers grabbed the first of they trophies they want this year with a 52-6 victory over Okolona in the Battle of the Creek. Now it is on to winning the Region 4-4A District crown and north state 4A championship. “I know how good […]
BY BRANDON SPECK DAILY JOURNAL OKOLONA – Either Houston coach William Cook was underselling it, or his offense hit a quick growth spurt. The Hilltoppers had been living on defense in a perfect start. With Thursday’s 52-6 Battle of the Creek win at No. 5 small school Okolona, the offense (26 points in two games) […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal CALHOUN CITY – The Hilltopper defense really is a bunch of salty dogs. They work hard, sweat and they bite those who are not family or friends. The Houston Hilltoppers (2-0) got a huge 9-6 victory over the Calhoun City Wildcats (1-1) Friday night with […]
Ross, Trojans topple the Rams, 38-13. Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal VARDAMAN — Thanks in part to senior quarterback Wesley Ross’s 5 combined touchdowns, the Bruce Trojans defeated the Vardaman Rams 38-13 Friday night in Vardaman. The game started quickly and Vardaman looked to make it fun with fireworks […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA -Arteria Clifton, a 7-8th grade science teacher and coach, has an equation that helps students decide which way the ball is going to bounce for them on the court, in the classroom, and in the neighborhood. That equation: Potential plus effort equal success. In other words, […]
Elections tell us a lot about us. Houston had two over two weeks, with one of those being county-wide elections and the second a tourism tax vote. I had a wise man explain to me that elections are a one-day snapshot of our community. He added the results of the vote change the dynamics and […]
- Vardaman wins homecoming, 48-7 October 1, 2015
- Chasing the dream October 6, 2015
- BIRTH: Carolyn Jayde King October 6, 2015
- State, federal duck stamps available online October 7, 2015
- Man shot in arm by 17-year-old girl October 7, 2015
- Lady Toppers claim District October 8, 2015
- CHASING THE SUN: Houston Solar Car team heads west to Australia October 8, 2015
- Toppers in control October 8, 2015
- Volunteers spruce up Tanglefoot Trail October 8, 2015
- Houlka teacher waives probable cause hearing October 8, 2015
- Gilbie Rivas: Hey ideas - I was enlightened by the info , Does a...
- George Edgar Worley: See Sparethekids.com and BeatingBlackKids.com for ...
- George Edgar Worley: WATCH Montel Williams on School Paddling of Studen...
- George Edgar Worley: #BlackLivesMatter ? #srebeducation Students to Sch...
- George Edgar Worley: WATCH Documentary Exposes the Brutally Violent TRU...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago