The Lady Toppers kept their early season record in positive numbers Nov. 22 as they controlled the floor for a 44-36 win over the Lady Trojans of Bruce. Houston led by ten through the half and came back after the break determined to stay ahead through a balanced floor and a team effort. “One thing […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
Houston’s Park and Recreation department is growing steadily with new options for residents of Houston and the surrounding areas. This fall, Park and Rec offered adult softball for men and women that turned out to be widely popular and for their winter follow-up, they are hosting children’s and youth basketball. Park and Rec Director, John […]
By Karen Brasher MSU Quail season will open in Mississippi Nov. 21 with relatively low bird populations, but new agricultural practices may provide a boost for the bob-white-whistling game fowl. A recent Mississippi State University-led study found that implementation of an agricultural initiative known as Conservation Practice 33 – Habitat Buffers for Upland Birds […]
Fourteen members of the Houston cross-country team made the trip to Clinton for State meet Nov. 9, with Paige Griffin and Trey Griggs recording the best times for the team in the girl’s and boy’s divisions. Griffin finished the girl’s 4K in 19:23 while Griggs completed the boy’s 5K in 19:55. Houston’s girls placed 14th […]
CORINTH – Welcome to the national high school basketball spotlight. On Nov. 29-30, the Lighthouse Foundation of Corinth welcomes 19 teams to Crossroads Arena for the Inaugural Lighthouse Thanksgiving Classic. This isn’t your father’s tournament. “I’ll tell you what. I don’t think there’s been a tournament with the lineup that’s coming in, in this state, […]
With most area teams just wrapping up football season, the action on the hard court is in the very early season. But several local teams have scored wins and the action is heating up daily heading into winter. The East Webster Lady Wolverines took a big 61-18 win over Montgomery County on Nov. 12 while […]
Four local girls got up close and personal with the Ole Miss cheerleaders and Rebelettes. From left, Cara Pearson, Emme Ausbern, Ella Cate Alford and Kennedy Pearson, attended a junior Rebel cheer camp Oct. 13 along with about 250 other young girls ages 5-17. The girls learned cheers and a dance and returned to campus […]
Mississippi’s white-tailed deer hunting season with guns opens Saturday and runs through December 1. Hunting with dogs is allowed during this season. Legal deer include antlerless deer and legal bucks on private lands and legal bucks on open public lands. Hunters are urged to practice good hunter ethics and follow all safety rules to avoid […]
The Okolona Chieftains opened the 2013-14 season on a positive note, taking a 76-73 win over the Nettleton Tigers in a battle all four quarters. Nettleton scored first as Kaleb Gilbert connected on two from the line and Dre Sharp took a steal to the hole. After trailing 0-6, the Chieftains regrouped with Zack Stevens […]
The Hebron defensive numbers don’t look like a losing effort, but the Eagles were out-run by the Confederates on the offensive side of the ball. Coach David Foster and his team knew they were up against a tough Sharkey team before they made the trip to Rolling Fork for North Half. The Feds won over […]
The Lady Toppers are off to a positive start early in the hard court season, entering the week with a record of 3-1. The Houston girls knocked down two wins against South Pontotoc and Eupora to start off the season and split games last week in the Pontotoc tournament. The Lady Topers fell to Ripley […]
HOULKA – The Chickasaw County School Board wants a football field but may not have the room to expand as the program grows. Trustees discussed how the proposed football field behind the city’s baseball field off of Highway 32 may not be big enough for a field house, football field and practice field. “You usually […]
The City of Houston Park and Recreation will hold registration for youth league basketball beginning this Saturday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Youth will be divided by grades with first and second grade, third and fourth grade and fifth and sixth grade playing against each other. Registration fee is $50 per child and includes […]
Over 30 children and youth, along with their parents, attended the initial registration for Cub Scouts and Boys Scouts in Troop 19 in Houston Nov. 12, but there’s still plenty of time to join. Representatives from the Pushmataha Area Council held an informational meeting to explain the program and how it works. Micah Huffman went […]
- Come in from the cold December 9, 2013
- Letters to Santa due Dec. 12 December 6, 2013
- A family tradition December 6, 2013
- Peggy Stovall December 6, 2013
- Robert Miller December 6, 2013
- Come in from the cold December 9, 2013
- WEDDING: Easley/Smith December 8, 2013
- GOLDEN ANNIVERSARY: Hudson December 8, 2013
- Lee Williams December 8, 2013
- Joy Ray December 8, 2013
- Iggy: I am from the uk and just watching worlds strictes...
- Houlka Homecoming is tonight! | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Look who’s reading now! […]...
- Houlka Homecoming is tonight! | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Houlka gym renovation […]...
- Linda: He does NOT make it right. I ordered beef from him...
- Reed Jones: Greenwood's division record is 5-0....
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 6 months ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 6 months ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 6 months ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 6 months ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 6 months ago