By David Wheeler Special to the Journal The season that really counts for Mississippi high school baseball teams is scheduled to begin today, and 39 area schools still have the dream. Best 2-out-of-3 series in all six classifications have their first pitch of the postseason today, with the goal to reach the state championship series […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
Baseball Playoffs FRIDAY’S GAMES Class 1A Hickory Flat at TCPS Biggersville at Pine Grove West Union at Falkner Thrasher at Myrtle Broad Street at Hamilton Houlka at Shaw Vardaman at Simmons JFK at Smithville Class 2A West Bolivar at Strayhorn Bruce at Ingomar J.Z. George at Leland Walnut at Calhoun City Winona […]
Softball Playoffs Play-in Series FRIDAY’S GAMES Class 1A Myrtle at Hamilton, 5 p.m. Vardaman at Pine Grove, 5:30 p.m. Byes: Biggersville, Falkner, Smithville, West Union, Wheeler Class 2A O’Bannon at Walnut, 5 p.m. East Union at Leland Potts Camp at Winona, 1 p.m. Byes: Mantachie, Riverside, Strayhorn Class 3A Amanda Elzy at […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal As the sun fell on Tuesday evening, the Vardaman Rams took the diamond and faced off against the Hamilton Lions in a game that helped decide second place in division 1A. The Rams got on the board first and held a lead for most of […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal NEW HOPE – There is power at the plate for Houston – and the pitching isn’t bad either – at the Hilltoppers head into the final week of the regular season. But Scott Gann’s Hilltoppers are keeping a level head as they trounced a good New […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal GRENADA – As the Houston baseball team traveled to Grenada on Saturday they had two things in mind as they head into the homestretch of the regular season – win two games against the Charger. After dispatching Winona 11-6 in game one, it was the […]
By Ethan Turner Chickasaw Journal VARDAMAN – After a win earlier in the week the Vardaman Rams faced the Houlka Wildcats Friday night for game two. And despite a furious rally by the Wildcats in the sixth inning, the Rams held on for a 4-3 victory. “I think what we really learned from […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – the Houlka Lady Wildcats don’t hold grudges, but they always look for a chance to settle the score. The Houlka Lady Wildcats took to the diamond last week against the Hickory Flat Lady Rebels for the second time this season looking to avenge an early […]
By Logan Lowery Daily Journal STARKVILLE – Mississippi State climbed to No. 2 in the D1baseball.com national rankings on Monday after its weekend series win at previously top-ranked Florida. The Diamond Dogs (23-9-1), No. 5 a week ago, snapped the Gators’ 29-game winning streak at home with 10-4 and 2-1 victories on the final two […]
Baseball Pine Grove 13, Blue Mountain 1 Oxford 17, West Point 1 Alcorn Central 11, Booneville 2 Myrtle 18, Hickory Flat 2 Tishomingo County 4, Pontotoc 1 Ingomar 14, Mantachie 4 Ripley 10, New Albany 0 Mooreville 11, New Site 1 Houston 10, Caledonia 5 North Pontotoc 15, Nettleton 0 Tupelo 3, Hernando 2 TCPS […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Coming off of a division win over Amory to close out the previous week, the Houston Lady Toppers were once again in division play as they hosted the Itawamba AHS Lady Indians Tuesday evening. With an impressive offensive showing and solid pitching and […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal It has been a tough week for the Houlka Wildcats baseball team as the dropped two games to a tough Hamilton Lions crew. After being defeated by the Hamilton Lions on Tuesday, 19-1, the two teams primed for a rematch Friday evening. Unfortunately for the […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal OXFORD – After defeating the Oxford Chargers in walk-off fashion last week, the Houston Hilltoppers traveled to Oxford Saturday for an anticipated rematch but this time got the short end of the stick. The game was tight throughout, but because of some late-inning mistakes, the […]
By David Wheeler Special to the Chickasaw Journal Two-team baseball races in Class 4A at this point on the calendar appear to be the norm in Northeast Mississippi. In Division 1-4A, its competitive history has been one of down-to-the-wire battles for postseason qualification between four to five teams. There is a bit more space in […]
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- Rain doesn’t stop Relay May 6, 2016
- Hilltoppers top Corinth May 6, 2016
- Hilltoppers dominate Commodores May 6, 2016
- Lady Toppers down Senatobia May 5, 2016
- Houston to host National Day of Prayer today May 5, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago