OXFORD — Turnovers and too many missed opportunities cost the Houston Hilltoppers a chance from moving on in the MHSAA Class 4A playoffs Friday night. Even though Houston forced four Lafayette turnovers in the first half, the Hilltoppers weren’t able to score enough to keep up with the Commodores. The end result was a 41-16 […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
Associated Press Here are Mississippi’s top high school football teams in each class as selected by a panel of Associated Press state sports writers. Note: There are no updated rankings for classes 4A, 3A and 2A because those teams began playoffs last week. Class Overall School W-L Pts Prv 1. Starkville (4) (11-0) 40 1 […]
AREA SCORES Thursday Regular season Falkner 43, Vardaman 21 Smithville 48, Houlka 0 West Point 65, Lewisburg 51 Friday Regular season Coffeeville 49, Hamilton 0 Starkville Aca. 31, Pillow Aca. 0 Tupelo 24, Olive Branch 7 Oxford 49, Lake Cormorant 13 Saltillo 32, New Hope 29 Starkville 56, Clinton 46 Thrasher 20, Coldwater 14 Class […]
MACON – Houston faced a tough and top-ranked Noxubee County football team and took a 34-10 loss from the Tigers, but now turn their attention to a First Round Playoff game with Lafayette on Friday. Houston lost their 1,000-yard running back Brandon Townsend last week and called on a variety of players against Noxubee to […]
OKOLONA – Houlka took the field Friday night with a cold wind blowing and six starters either out for the season or nursing injuries that did not allow them to play the Coldwater Cougars in a key District 1A, Region 1 matchup. Houlka, (1-8, 1-6) saw their top running back/quarterback Tyreque Reed suffer a neck […]
PHEBA – Senior Night is a critical night in the life of every gridder and the Hebron Eagles went out with a bang as they down Calhoun Academy in a critical district match up. Hebron topped the visiting Cougars from Calhoun County, 54-30 and came out of the gate strong and finished strong. Hebron struck […]
HOUSTON – Jim Stites is a sticker for detail and that suits him well as band director for the Houston High School band program. Stites is in his second year a band director and carried the Topper Pride Marching Band to Tupelo recently for the MHSAA Region 1 Marching Band Festival where they competed against […]
Aberdeen 52, South Pontotoc 14 Baldwyn 48, New Site 20 Belmont 30, Alcorn Central 12 Calhoun City 54, Okolona 0 Coffeeville 53, Falkner 0 Coldwater 50, Houlka 6 Corinth 33, Amory 7 Hatley 35, East Union 7 Hebron 54, Calhoun Academy 30 H.W. Byers 54, Potts Camp 41 Itawamba AHS 31, Tishomingo County 14 Kossuth […]
OKOLONA – Houlka found themselves down 34-13 in the fourth quarter, but no one ever told them the game was over. The Wildcats recovered two onside kicks to close the gap and were driving for the winning score when the clock ran out Thursday night in their district contest in Okolona against the Biggersville Lions, […]
HOUSTON – The Hilltoppers 40-21 win over West Lauderdale should put them in the playoffs, but it came at a high price. The Hilltoppers jumped out to a 20-7 lead in the first quarter and looked to have the game in control, then senior fullback Brandon “Boosie” Townsend broke his leg on a run the […]
PHEBA – Hebron Christian welcomed their district foe and undefeated Central Academy Vikings to Homecoming Friday night named their queen and claimed the victory. Miss Hali Whitt was crowned Homecoming Queen and the Eagles took the field with Landon Hill taking the opening kickoff 75 yards for the touchdown. A Collin Moore run for the […]
HOUSTON – The Hilltoppers put together four quarters of football and walked out of the stadium winners as they downed Leake Central, 23-20 in a key district matchup Friday night. Houston running back Brandon Townsend went over 1,000-yards on the year, place kicker Wes Parker kicked a 34-yard field goal and defense repeatedly rose to […]
AMORY – It takes the best to beat the best and the Lady Hilltoppers were stopped in the second round of the MHSSA softball playoffs by the Lady Panthers, but only after three games Saturday afternoon. The Hilltoppers had downed Kosciusko in two games Thursday and bounced right back for Saturday contest. They lost the […]
JACKSON – The Tennis Foundation of Mississippi has announce that Marvin “Marty” Pearson of Oxford is the 2014 inductee into the Mississippi Tennis Hall of Fame. Marty has long been associated with tennis in the state and through his play, support, and instruction has left an unmistakable imprint on Mississippi tennis. Marty’s tennis career began in Houston, […]
- Houlka Community Thanksgiving is Nov. 22 November 19, 2014
- BILLY McCORD: As I see it November 23, 2014
- A golfer’s tale November 23, 2014
- Houston ready for tipoff and tournament November 23, 2014
- Chieftains to stand tall on court November 24, 2014
- Rams to hoop it up in Vardaman November 26, 2014
- Come in from the cold November 26, 2014
- Mississippi producing big bucks November 25, 2014
- CHICKASAW COUNTY: Luther wins Circuit Judge, Pettit wins Houston trustee November 25, 2014
- Houlka ready for another run this season November 25, 2014
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- Sad for Our Kids: Bravo! You've done your job as an advocate for a...
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago