EUPORA – They play a tough brand of softball in Webster County and Houston just couldn’t find the hits they needed as they lost 7-2. Houston (6-4) got four hits in a seven-inning contest against Eupora (8-1) in a game that was a lot closer than the score. Houston was down 2-1 in the sixth […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
FULTON – Pittsboro native Adam Gore, who is beginning his fifth year at Itawamba Community College, has been named director of Sports Information. Gore succeeds Will Kollmeyer, who will join the SEC Network as a broadcaster for Ole Miss Athletics, later this month. “To say that Will’s leaving big shoes to fill is an understatement, […]
Here are Mississippi’s top high school football teams in each class as selected by a panel of Associated Press state sports writers. Class Overall School W-L Pts Prv 1. Starkville (10) (3-0) 136 1(tie) 2. South Panola (4) (3-0) 128 1(tie) 3. Madison Central (3-0) 93 3 4. Tupelo (3-0) 79 5 5. Oxford (2-1) […]
AREA GAMES Thursday Ripley 64, Falkner 13 Friday Aberdeen 36, Amory 28 Baldwyn 30, Mooreville 14 Belmont 35, Tishomingo County 21 Benton County 54, Biggersville 0 Caledonia 46, Smithville 13 Calhoun Aca. 42, North Sunflower 12 Calhoun City 28, Water Valley 7 Coffeeville 36, Bruce 13 Corinth 45, Lewisburg 27 East Webster 28, Nettleton 7 […]
HOUSTON – In a sport where girls are going to hit the ball, defense is critical to win games. The South Pontotoc Lady Cougars fielded well but just seemed to be in the wrong places as the Houston Lady Hilltoppers used a big fourth inning to take a 3-0 victory in Houston, Thursday Aug. 28. […]
HOUSTON – It may have been a good thing the scoreboard was not working as Houston lost their home opener to Calhoun City Friday night. The Hilltoppers seemed snake-bit as two fumbles on solid drives deep into Calhoun City territory and several penalties hurt Houston’s chances in a 40-0 loss to the visiting Wildcats. Houston […]
BOONEVILLE – Northeast Mississippi Community College’s softball program took part in a popular sensation that is sweeping its way across the nation to help bring more attention to a dreadful illness. The Tigers completed the Ice Bucket Challenge to benefit research for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), which is better known as Lou Gehrig’s Disease, on […]
COLUMBUS — Eight-man football got underway with Hebron Christian Academy Eagles on the road against the Victory Christian Academy Eagles Friday night. Both teams opened the gridiron season with high expectations from last year. Victory was only one win away from winning it all in their league, Alabama Christian Football Association Eight-Man. Hebron has been […]
VARDMAN – The East Webster Wolverines are known for being physical but they proved Friday night they can pass the ball too, as they handed the Vardaman Rams a 64-14 loss. “We knew coming into this game that Vardaman was going to be physical up front,” said East Webster junior quarterback Jack Wilson. “We had […]
PONTOTOC – Houston running back Brandon “Boosie” Townsend rushed 20 times for 206 yards and a touchdown to lead the Hilltoppers to a season-opener victory over Pontotoc. It was a hot night and difficult game for the Pontotoc Warriors, as they could not find a way to overcome Houston’s rushing attack and fell to the […]
My hunting season begins Monday when we head to the dove field. I hope your first shot hits the mark, too. I can’t tell you the first time I went dove hunting. I didn’t get to shoot, but I did get to pick up the birds. It was grand fun to take to the field […]
HOUSTON – The Lady Hilltoppers are always good, but they gave an indication of just how strong they can be with a 13-0 victory over Vardaman last week. The Toppers had 11 hits, including a triple and game ending home run, then played flawless defense that saw no Vardaman baserunner advance beyond second. “I thought […]
OKOLONA – Northeast Mississippi kicked off the 2014 fall football season in Okolona last week with the Houlka Wildcats facing the East Union Urchins in a Thursday night tilt that saw East Union come out on top 21-12. The Urchins gave Houlka it chance but secured the win on a 10-yard touchdown scamper by Cage […]
HOUSTON – Two Houston athletes have been named to the top of their class by the Mississippi Elite Underclassmen Showcase by BSN Sports. The 2014 Most Valuable Players selected by coaches and scouts are: • Luke Hancock, Houston, Class of 2018. • Tanner Smith, Houston, Class of 2017. • Jacob Wilcher, Kossuth, Class of 2016. […]
- County picks MedStat ambulances September 25, 2014
- RENEE CUNNINGHAM: Common Core; Do the math September 27, 2014
- Future of farming September 28, 2014
- NMMC offers pastoral education program September 28, 2014
- Aldermen eye Ethics opinion September 29, 2014
- Absentee voting October 2, 2014
- EPA conducts water quality study on Chico Creek October 1, 2014
- WEEK 6: AP high school football state rankings September 30, 2014
- Senate not only race on November ballot September 30, 2014
- Houston donates bus to Chickasaw EMA September 30, 2014
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- Carol Mac: I went to the Tupelo run, and I have some advice f...
- Candace R.: If that isn't nepotism, what is??? The solution ...
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago