Special to the Chickasaw Journal Over the past several hunting seasons, Mississippi deer hunters have harvested some of the largest white-tailed deer on record. Mississippi is beginning to be acknowledged as one of the top white-tailed deer states in the nation. This was highlighted in the June/July 2013 issue of Outdoor Life magazine. Outdoor […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
HOULKA – Houlka has always been a basketball town and a newly renovated gym has the Wildcats looking to bring a few more wins to the facility that has seen much basketball. Houlka basketball coach Jimmy Guy McDonald has been teaching and coaching for 46 years and he has seen a lot of those games. […]
OKOLONA – The Chieftains lost four seniors but they will field five this year with a strong group of guys to back them up. “We’re beginning to find ourselves and we are playing well,” said Okolona basketball coachArteria Clifton . “We’ve got a good team and will play a lot of guys every game. “We […]
HOUSTON – The Hilltoppers are loaded and if they can just aim and shoot they should hit the tournament target this year. The Houston boys lost three seniors this year and have found a few new players as they reload for the 2014-15 basketball season. “We’ve got some real player and we’ve got some kids […]
OKOLONA – At one time in his life, Michael Stafford was forced to play golf. He worked for his brother, who had a standing game, and Stafford was expected to participate each week. “He gave me a set of clubs and I played with him and I hated it,” said Stafford, a 43-year-old Pontocola resident. […]
FULTON – Houston native and Itawamba Community College athlete Sharone Wright recently earned the Bennie Abrams LEGACY award from ICC and he was also named to the Capital One Academic All-District team. Wright is a sophomore at ICC and was presented with the Bennie Abrams award during a special ceremony before the Indians home-opener against […]
STATE PLAYOFFS QUARTERFINALS Class 1A Coffeeville 40, Shaw 0 St. Aloysius 49, Broad Street 8 Nanih Waiya 24, Resurrection Catholic 0 Cathedral 42, Pelahatchie 13 Class 2A East Webster 21, Hollandale Simmons 8 Calhoun City 28, Bruce 14 East Marion 38, Mize 26 Bassfield 60, Taylorsville 27 Class 3A Kemper County 52, Aberdeen 14 Charleston […]
OKOLONA – The Chieftains stood just a little bit taller than the Nettleton Tigers Friday night in a high school hoop contest that was anybody’s game until the final frame. Nettleton relied mainly on one player to produce points while Okolona spread it around and ended up with the victory, 71-63. “We started slow but […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal Calhoun City has bowled over opponents this season, scoring in bunches – 42.4 points per game. That’s about 33 points more than the Wildcats’ defense needed, on average. The offensive numbers get the headlines, deservedly. Calhoun City (12-0), the state’s top Class 2A team, has rushed for 319.2 yards per […]
LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The Northeast Mississippi Community College softball program has maintained its longtime standard of fielding one of the best scholastic squads in the entire country. The Tigers were selected as one of the Top 10 All-Academic Teams in the junior college division by the National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) for the 2014 campaign. […]
TROPHY ELK (Courtesy Photo) Retired Game Warden Danny Nicholson shot this 6X7 trophy Rocky Mountain Bull Elk while hunting in Northwest Colorado on Oct. 20, 2014 near Maybell. He shot the trophy at 360-yards with a .270-cal. Browning BAR rifle using a 130-grain Remington soft-point. Danny said he now spends time hunting the country and […]
AREA SCORES Friday Class 1A Playoffs (First round) Broad Street 47, Falkner 34 Shaw 39, Smithville 0 Class 2A Playoffs (Second round) East Webster 34, Baldwyn 7 Calhoun City 49, South Delta 0 Bruce 39, J.Z. George 6 Class 3A Playoffs (Second round) Aberdeen 66, North Pontotoc 30 Louisville 42, Mooreville 28 Charleston 35, Kossuth […]
OKOLONA – Houlka had a good first quarter, but a stronger and faster Smithville team came to town Thursday and left with their eyes on their next opponent and a possible state title. The Smithville Semioles (8-3, 6-2) were met with a stingy Wildcat defense but as the game wore on the Houlka (1-9, 1-7) […]
OXFORD — Turnovers and too many missed opportunities cost the Houston Hilltoppers a chance from moving on in the MHSAA Class 4A playoffs Friday night. Even though Houston forced four Lafayette turnovers in the first half, the Hilltoppers weren’t able to score enough to keep up with the Commodores. The end result was a 41-16 […]
- Making the grade December 12, 2014
- Take a bite out of Christmas crime December 16, 2014
- United Furniture to expand in former Lane building December 16, 2014
- Topper Old Timer December 16, 2014
- Houston superintendent’s contract not renewed December 17, 2014
- Board hears report on HUES December 18, 2014
- FLOYD INGRAM: Christmas in Houston, Mississippi December 18, 2014
- EDITORIAL: Change December 18, 2014
- Houston considering fire chief December 18, 2014
- Tupelo man killed in Tuesday morning wreck December 17, 2014
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- Sad for Our Kids: Bravo! You've done your job as an advocate for a...
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago