Hunter Baggett of Mantachie has seen and shot many deer in his 12 short years on Earth, but a buck he took the last weekend of deer season was more unusual than any most will get their hands on in a long lifetime. Hunting on a relative’s property in Chickasaw County, Sunday’s sunrise found him […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
By Logan Lowery Daily Journal STARKVILLE – When Dan Mullen was hired at Mississippi State seven years ago, he vowed to keep in-state recruits at home. Mullen has held true to his word. Of the 176 players Mullen has signed since 2009, 111 have been from programs within the Magnolia State. The Bulldogs brought in […]
The fans got their monies worth as the game was nip and tuck, but Houston pulled off a hometown victory in front of the home crowd. Houston hosted the Leake Central Gators Friday night in both a girls and boys matchup with the boys taking the victory and the girls toppling to the Lady Gators. […]
HOULKA – Basketball has always been a key part of the Houlka community and the hometeam did their town proud Friday night with easy wins of the Smithville Seminoles. The Houlka boys are now 19-4 overall and have clinched the district title at 5-0. The Lady Wildcats stand 11-11 on the season and are 3-1 […]
HOUSTON – She can crush a softball and play just about any position on the field, except one. “I don’t pitch,” said Mary Kansas Sullivan, as she signed a letter of intent to play softball at Itawamba Community College last week. “I felt like ICC was the right place for me and I already know […]
HOUSTON – Collinsville is a basketball town and West Lauderdale brought their best to Houston Friday night and it showed. The district’s top-ranked West Lauderdale Boys (15-7, 4-1) and Girls (15-8, 3-2) downed both Hilltopper teams in district play Friday night at Houston High School Gym. Both local squads got behind early and never caught […]
HOUSTON – Bill Smith’s eyes lit up as members of the Houston Exchange Club sang Happy Birthday and the Egg Bowl Trophy was plopped in his lap as part of 90th birthday ceremonies at Floy Dyer Nursing Home Friday. “Oh, the only thing prettier than this is Mary,” said Smith of the Ole Miss/MSU game […]
HOUSTON – Baseball is a game of hitting and pitching and the Northeast Community College Tigers have inked one of both from Houston. Senior left-hander Reid Carter and senior slugger Garrison Howell signed Letters of Intent to play for the Tigers at ceremonies at the Houston High School Commons last week under the flash of […]
OKOLONA – Chieftain basketball coach Arteria Clifton liked everything about the game against Houlka except the score. Okolona fell to Houlka, 74-71, in a fiercely contested cross-county match-up that was anybody’s game until the final few seconds. “I was proud of the ways our guys played and we could have won it,” said Clifton. “We […]
HOUSTON – You play a lot of basketball games in high school, but the “New Year Turn” brings those all important district games into the schedule. The Houston Hilltoppers and Lady Hilltoppers opened the district slate with wins over Caledonia Friday night at the Houston High School Gym. The boys downed the Confederates 57-52 and […]
By Logan Lowery Daily Journal STARKVILLE – Mississippi State received a jolt heading into the offseason, as junior quarterback Dak Prescott announced he would be returning for his senior campaign. Prescott held a press conference Wednesday afternoon to make his decision public. “I looked at some of the NFL quarterbacks like Peyton Manning and Andrew […]
By Gene Phelps Special to the Chickasaw Journal VARDAMAN – Madarius Hobson hit a little bit of everything in his offensive arsenal Tuesday, but he was still held under his 23-points-per-game average. Houlka’s multi-talented 6-foot-1 freshman guard scored all 21 of his points in a lopsided first quarter to lead the Wildcats (15-4, 1-0) to […]
OKOLONA – It was classic Mississippi high school hoop that went down to the wire. The Houston Hilltoppers boys and girls traveled to Okolona and both pulled off wins with the boys going down to the last few seconds and the girls game going into overtime. Houston 57, Okolona 56, Houston’s Caleb Morgan […]
HOUSTON – Two former Houston Hilltopper football stars have used two years at Itawamba Community College to springboard them to the next level. Sharone Wright and Anfernee brand recently came home to Houston to ink their NCAA Letters of Intent and announce they will play at Mississippi College next year. “MC has a good program […]
- Trustees get report on Middle School February 23, 2015
- PREP BASKETBALL PLAYOFFS: Houlka and Okolona still dancing February 27, 2015
- Carrot and stick February 27, 2015
- Houston ponders community assets February 27, 2015
- Houlka smashes Smithville, falls to Coffeeville February 27, 2015
- Happy Birthday Miss Zula March 1, 2015
- Four hurt, two dead in Calhoun County wreck March 1, 2015
- DANIEL GARDNER: God given rights February 28, 2015
- GOP federal prosecutor to challenge Hood for AG February 27, 2015
- Agri-Center shaping up February 27, 2015
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago