By Gene Phelps Daily Journal JACKSON – Bailey, Smith, Spears. Three names basketball fans in Mississippi need to remember, three names West Tallahatchie would like to forget. Okolona freshmen Jaylon Bailey, Cameron Smith and Ladarius Spears rang up 53 points Thursday to lead the Chieftains to a 73-67 comeback win against West Tallahatchie in the […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
JACKSON – Not many outside Chickasaw County know much about the Okolona Chieftains. But out of nowhere, the ignored Chieftains are two wins away from a state championship. They will face the West Tallahatchie-Leake County winner on Thursday at Mississippi Coliseum. Okolona knocked off Bassfield 56-49 Monday at Jackson State in the Class 2A quarterfinals. […]
By Gene Phelps Daily Journal JACKSON – East Webster coach Bill Brand knew Newton’s pressure defense was relentless and smothering. “I told my players if we could keep our turnovers to 20, we could win,” he said. East Webster committed 41 turnovers – nearly all forced by Newton – but still managed to exit the […]
Members of Itawamba Community College’s Diamond Girls have been selected for the 2015 baseball season. Several girls from Chickasaw County and surrounding communities have been chosen for this work. They include Marilyn Ramirez of Ackerman; Rebecca Riddle, Whitney Baker, Chelsea Meaders, all of Amory; Brookelyn Walden of Booneville; Heather Tutor, Courtney Hubbard, Shelby Leachman, all […]
Daily Journal The schedule for Friday and Saturday’s MHSAA State Tournament basketball tournament games involving a Northeast Mississippi teams has been changed because of weather-related travel concerns. Two boys games scheduled for Friday have been moved to Monday at Jackson State: 9 a.m., Class 4A – New Albany vs. McComb; 10:30 a.m., Class 2A – […]
OKOLONA – Basketball coach Arteria Clifton was busy teaching science at Okolona High School Monday morning, but his mind was somewhere between last week’s last second victory over Hollandale-Simmons and this week’s matchup with Bassfield at the state playoffs in Jackson. “It’s tournament time and it’s a whirlwind,” said Clifton. “This is my first time […]
HAMILTON – Madarius Hobson outscored Smithville. The Houlka freshman’s 23 points: one more than the Seminoles in a less-than-dramatic 83-22 win in Thursday’s Division 4-1A semifinals. At that point it was anybody’s guess how far Houlka (23-4) would go, but Smithville and the rest of Class 1A knew the Wildcats were serious about the journey […]
By Gene Phelps Daily Journal The remaining first-round games of the MHSAA girls basketball playoffs postponed Monday and Wednesday because of Winter Storm Remus are expected to be played today. Most of the boys’ first-round games were played Tuesday. A few were rescheduled for today. Some girls teams, including Itawamba AHS and Ripley, were able […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal Many of Monday’s girls North tournament basketball games have been postponed due to potentially icy road conditions. Boys tournament openers were scheduled for Tuesday, with the second round scheduled for Saturday. Girls’ second-round games are scheduled for Friday. Here is the new schedule, as best we can tell, via texts, […]
HOULKA WILDCAT 1975 GRAND SLAM CHAMPIONS. Members of the 1975 Houlka Lady Wildcat State Championship team were honored between the boys and girls basketball game Friday at Houlka Gym. Houlka Coach Jimmy Guy McDonald, who coached that team, presented a trophy to each Lady Wildcat.
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal Friday’s icy North Mississippi weather forced division basketball tournament schedules to slip and slide. Mass scheduling confusion eventually left 14 games to be played on Friday, the remaining games left on today’s still-busy slate. The highest-ranking matchup of the 13 area tournaments is still scheduled for tonight at Northeast CC […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal HAMILTON – Madarius Hobson outscored Smithville. The Houlka freshman’s 23 points: one more than the Seminoles in a less-than-dramatic 83-22 win in Thursday’s Division 4-1A semifinals. Who knows how far Houlka (23-4) will go, but Smithville and the rest of Class 1A knows the Wildcats are serious about the journey […]
HOULKA – The intensity, emotion and home crowd all played favor to the Wildcats’ victory at Senior night Friday night. Houlka hosted West Union at Houlka Gym and the Eagles, a talented non-conference team with a lot of youth, just didn’t have the answer for the homestanding Wildcat boys’ hot offensive and defensive play. Houlka […]
FULTON, MS – The Itawamba Community College football coaching staff welcome 35 new faces to the program on Wednesday, the first day of the national signing period. “It’s always an exciting day when you bring new guys into your program,” said ICC Football coach Sean Cannon. “We felt like we were able to get some […]
- MDWFP museum summer camp registration now open March 25, 2015
- DANIEL GARDNER: We’d best pay attention March 28, 2015
- Yokohama Mississippi nearing completion March 28, 2015
- One dead in crash south of Okolona March 28, 2015
- First Turkey March 28, 2015
- Coggins to lead Lenten Luncheon March 31, 2015
- Houston plans for farmer’s market March 31, 2015
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Help us “Save a Child” March 30, 2015
- Circuit Court term opened Monday March 30, 2015
- BIRTH: Emmitt Verell Wright March 29, 2015
- Tg007.net: if you want the town to grow stop taxing the busin...
- i’m engaged, you can be too | architecture | equality: […] the design and related impacts of a new...
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago