Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – On a rain-soaked Lady Topper Field, the Toppers achieved a goal that they set for their season. They won district. Tuesday night in Houston, the Lady Toppers defeated the Itawamba AHS Indians 10-1, win the District 1 Region 2 title. The Lady […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
HOUSTON – The Hilltoppers led the dance at homecoming Friday night with Houston’s offense and defense taking turns waltzing the Caledonia Confederates around the field. Houston’s offense scored 25 points in the first half, their defense did not allow a first down and Wes Parker kicked a 37-yard field goal as […]
Teaching excellence is not easy. Our world and particularly American culture has moved toward mediocrity over the past decades as we simply sit back and enjoy the fruits of the greatest economy in the greatest country on earth. We are glad to recognize the Houston Solar Race Team as a group that […]
Associated Press Here are Mississippi’s top high school football teams in each class as selected by a panel of Associated Press state sports writers. OVERALL School W-L Pts Prv 1. South Panola (16) (6-0) 160 1 2. Starkville (5-1) 141 2 3. Brandon (6-1) 122 3 4. Hattiesburg (6-1) 88 5 5. Oxford (4-2) 85 […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal While most people are focused on football, one Houston student/athelete is still chasing his dream to play baseball at the next level, or maybe even another level above that. Tanner Smith was chosen by Marty Gonzalez and Frank Torre, Jr. to play on SACSN (Student Athlete Community […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Kossuth junior running back Jaley Adams, who rushed for a state-record 543 yards and eight touchdowns last week against Corinth, saw limited action Friday in the Aggies’ 54-0 shutout of Division 1-3A foe New Site. Adams rushed for 159 yards on five carries and scored three touchdowns on runs of […]
AREA SCORES Thursday East Union 42, H.W. Byers 6 Friday Aberdeen 39, Mooreville 0 Amory 28, Itawamba AHS 21, 2OT Baldwyn 64, Potts Camp 0 Benton County 26, Belmont 8 Booneville 42, Alcorn Central 0 Calhoun City 28, East Webster 7 Coffeeville 56, Thrasher 0 Coldwater 36, Vardaman 8 Columbus 33, Tupelo 9 Eupora 29, […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal EUPORA – If the saying is true and defense does indeed win championships, then the Houston Hilltoppers may be in for a special season. The state’s top 4A defense shutout the undefeated Eupora Eagles (5-1) in a physical running game, 34-0. It was […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal VARDAMAN – It was a classic small-school football game with lots of blocking and tackling and a fair amount of scoring. Vardaman rolled over the visiting Biggersville Lions 48-7 to win homecoming and give the Ram football program a big boost. “I liked the way we ran […]
AREA GAMES Friday Baldwyn 35, Okolona 12 Benton County 42, Walnut 10 Caledonia 35, Tishomingo County 0 Choctaw County 38, Bruce 21 East Union 48, New Site 10 East Webster 42, South Pontotoc 14 Hatley 56, Houlka 0 Houston 34, Eupora 0 Kosciusko 32, Itawamba AHS 26 Kossuth 68, Corinth 34 Lafayette 26, Charleston 0 […]
TONIGHT’S FEATURED GAMES Corinth (4-1) at Kossuth (4-1) THE PLAYERS Corinth: QB Antares Gwyn has completed 56 of 90 passes for 1,026 yards, 15 TDs and 2 INTs. … Junior RB Jay Cobbs has carried 66 times for 292 yards and 4 TDs. … Sophomore DE Jawon Shields has 13 TFLs. Kossuth: RB Jaley Adams […]
By Ethan Turner Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – There were fireworks last week in Houston. They came from the Houston Hilltopper offense as the softball team defeated the Shannon Red Raiders 15-0 in three innings in front of the home crowd. The Hilltopper have now moved into a three-game road trip that has carried them to […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Playing defense is more than a skill, it’s an attitude. The Houston Hilltoppers have allowed only 25 points over 20 quarters of play and have developed a reputation as a salty bunch that picks a target and packs a punch. Houston (4-1) notched their […]
Associated Press Here are Mississippi’s top high school football teams in each class as selected by a panel of Associated Press state sports writers. OVERALL School W-L Pts Prv 1. South Panola (16) (4-0) 160 1 2. Starkville (3-1) 130 2 3. Brandon (4-1) 96 6 4. Madison Central (3-2) 89 4 5. St. Martin […]
- Vardaman wins homecoming, 48-7 October 1, 2015
- Chasing the dream October 6, 2015
- BIRTH: Carolyn Jayde King October 6, 2015
- State, federal duck stamps available online October 7, 2015
- Man shot in arm by 17-year-old girl October 7, 2015
- Lady Toppers claim District October 8, 2015
- CHASING THE SUN: Houston Solar Car team heads west to Australia October 8, 2015
- Toppers in control October 8, 2015
- Volunteers spruce up Tanglefoot Trail October 8, 2015
- Houlka teacher waives probable cause hearing October 8, 2015
- Gilbie Rivas: Hey ideas - I was enlightened by the info , Does a...
- George Edgar Worley: See Sparethekids.com and BeatingBlackKids.com for ...
- George Edgar Worley: WATCH Montel Williams on School Paddling of Studen...
- George Edgar Worley: #BlackLivesMatter ? #srebeducation Students to Sch...
- George Edgar Worley: WATCH Documentary Exposes the Brutally Violent TRU...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago