By John Davis Oxford Citizen PEARL – Anfernee Sullivan knew as soon as he got a piece of Kolby Crowley’s pitch, he needed to run as fast as he could. What the Taylorsville senior didn’t know was that his line drive to center field would turn into an inside-the-park home run and keep the Tartars’ […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal PEARL – If the throw had been bobbled even for a split second, Garrison Howell would have been safe and would have likely later tied the game. It wasn’t bobbled. He wasn’t safe. And Houston lost its Class 4A series opener 3-2 to St. Stanislaus on Wednesday at Trustmark Park. […]
By Brandon Speck Special to the Chickasaw Journal OXFORD – Houston is playing in its first state championship baseball series in school history. The Hilltoppers (28-9) completed a Class 4A North finals sweep of Lafayette Thursday night with a 5-1 win on the road, a road that now leads to Trustmark Park. The Hilltoppers take […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Ezra Blissard is a good tennis player, and netters around the state found out just how good he was last week at the MHSAA Tennis Finals. Blissard to the Boys 4A Singles Tennis championship match 6-3, 2-6, 6-3 in a two-hour match against an older opponent from […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Two Hilltopper softball stars are moving on to shine on the diamond at Mississippi Delta Community College in Moorhead this fall. Talaja Echoles and Quaneisha Pratt made it official Friday, May 1, as family, friends, coaches and teammates gathered in the Commons at Houston High School to watch […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal PEARL – If stealing second base has to involve a flotation device, the state baseball championships may be moving from a start today to a Wednesday start. With water standing at second base at Trustmark Park, MHSAA officials were scheduled to make a decision sometime this morning on whether the […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – The Houlka Wildcats came on strong this spring and went three-rounds deep into the MHSAA Baseball Playoffs before falling to Smithville last week. The Wildcats fell in two games to a strong Smithville team with a 6-14 loss on Tuesday and the season ending 3-7 […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal Houston is headed to the first state championship baseball series in school history. The Hilltoppers (28-9) completed a Class 4A North finals sweep of Lafayette on Thursday night with a 5-1 win on the road, a road that now leads to Trustmark Park to take on today’s Game 3 winner […]
By Josh Hill Special to Chickasaw Journal The Houston Hilltoppers seemed to have hit their stride with a back-and-forth style that has allowed them to advance to the Mississippi High School Activities Assocation North Half semifinals this week. The Hilltoppers proved they could get the job done over Itawamba AHS in a two-out-three contest […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal HOUSTON – Zack Poteete became a hero without a hit, but his bat has Houston one win away from a trip to the Class 4A state baseball championships after a 2-1 win over Lafayette. Tied at a run apiece in the eighth inning of Tuesday’s North championship series opener, the […]
HOUSTON – It was cool and damp and perfect weather for runners wanting to raise money to find a cure for cancer. Team Hope hosted its bi-annual Pink Ribbon 5K at the Houston Spring Flywheel Festival recently with good times recorded by a large field of runners. Saturday, April 23, dawned cloudy and cool with […]
Former Itawamba Community College football standout Tim Bowens was inducted into the Mississippi Association of Community and Juniors Colleges (MACJC) Sports Hall of Fame in a special ceremony held in Jackson on Tuesday. Bowens’ athletic prowess was first recognized when he earned All-District honors in football as a junior at Okolona High School before grabbing […]
HOULKA – He was a star football and basketball player, but when it came to picking the sport that will pay for college, Tyreque Reed chose baseball. Reed is a key part of the success the team has had this spring and Houlka plays Smithville this week for the North State championship and a chance […]
By Melissa Meador Monroe Journal SMITHVILLE – Smithville is hitting its offensive stride deep in the playoffs. The defending champ Noles pounded out double-digit runs for the second game in a row, grabbing a 14-6 win over Houlka to start out 1-0 in their Class 1A baseball semifinal series. “Today our hitting came around just […]
- COPES: Super Moms honored May 20, 2015
- Houston tourism tax vote set for Aug. 11 May 18, 2015
- Cook comes home to Houston May 21, 2015
- East Webster pitching halts Taylorsville May 21, 2015
- GAME ONE: Toppers fall hard in late innings May 21, 2015
- Houlka Homecoming 2015 is this weekend May 22, 2015
- Houston aldermen discuss Park & Recreation funds May 22, 2015
- East Webster toppled by inside-the-park HR in Game Two May 21, 2015
- Okolona graduates urged to excel May 21, 2015
- Police seek Dollar General bandit May 21, 2015
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- Tg007.net: if you want the town to grow stop taxing the busin...
- i’m engaged, you can be too | architecture | equality: […] the design and related impacts of a new...
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago