By Parrish Alford Daily Journal Ole Miss will start the college football season at No. 15 in the Amway-USA Today preseason coaches poll, which was released Thursday morning. The Rebels are the fourth SEC West team ranked, following No. 3 Alabama, No. 7 Auburn and No. 13 LSU. Ole Miss is sandwiched between No. 14 […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Kevonti Marble is a senior tight end at Houston High School this fall and has played football since the seventh grade. He knows what to expect when football practice officially starts on Monday. “It’s going to be hot and they are going to push you,” said Marble. […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal SUWANEE, Ga. – Coaches and spectators typically have their focus on a particular player or team in AAU tournaments. Then another guy grabs their attention. One guy grabbing attention on this summer’s circuit is Da House guard Madarius Hobson, a 2018 recruit from Houlka. “We had heard a lot […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal TUPELO — Area students in grade six or above are encouraged to take advantage of free physicals offered by the Weston Reed Foundation from 8 a.m.-noon Saturday, Aug. 1, at the new Police Athletic League, 204 Douglas St. Parking is available behind the Police Athletic League building or next door […]
By Hank Wiesner Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOULKA – Due to a limited number of players, Houlka Attendance Center’s football program will drop out of the Mississippi High School Activities Association 1A division and play independent games this year, Superintendent Betsy Collums said this week. Only the football program will play independently; the school’s […]
STARKVILLE – Preseason accolades continue to pile up for Mississippi State football defensive lineman Chris Jones, with the two-year letterman and Houston native named to the watch list for the Nagurski Trophy and the Outland Trophy. The Football Writers Association of America announced Friday that Jones and defensive back Will Redmond were on the […]
The Commission on Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks approved high noon Friday, Sept. 4 as the opening day for dove season in Mississippi. The 2015-2016 early hunting seasons for migratory game birds was set by the Commission during its monthly meeting on June 10. These early seasons include resident Canada geese, early teal, snipe, woodcock, […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Forget the MLB All-Stars, Houston has a group of young men who have earned a long list of awards, honors and recognition in baseball this year. The Houston Hilltoppers made their first trip to the State Championship Game in Pearl this spring and were 2015 4A Runner-Up, losing […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The baseball boys came to town last week and stayed five days playing 27 games in the Dizzy Dean South State 10-Year-Old Tournament. The 12 teams from around the area also brought their families and fans to town with some staying overnight in Houston hotels and most eating […]
OXFORD – Ole Miss fans think this year’s team is better than last year. The Rebels chased rival Mississippi State in the polls all season last year then strolled into the annual Egg Bowl to spank the Bulldogs, 31-17. Ole Miss and coach Hugh Freeze still have a few questions to answer at key […]
STARKVILLE – Bulldog football starts in 59 days. The Mississippi State University team that claimed a spot at No. 1 last year will snap it on this fall to prove that ranking was not a fluke. But college football is a game of change and new coaches, new faces and new plays will make […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Temperatures in the high 90s and a long pedal from Ecru prompted two teens to call for help on the Tanglefoot Trail last week. The Houston Fire Department was dispatched Mile Marker 1 at 2:11 p.m. Thursday after two 16-year-olds called 911 saying they were exhausted after […]
By Brandon Speck Special to the Chickasaw Journal TUPELO – Mississippi State associate head baseball coach Butch Thompson was at Tupelo Christian on Thursday. With TCPS baseball coach Will Lowrey hosting the Mississippi Elite Underclassmen Showcase, there was plenty to see, including Class of 2018 Houston catcher Luke Hancock. Hancock (5-foot-11, 170 pounds) has […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal The Itawamba Community College athletic programs held 14 camps on the Fulton Campus this summer. There were a wide variety of camps available this year and they were open to kids from seven years old to high school seniors. The summer was jam packed with ICC football, baseball, softball […]
- DANIEL GARDNER: The “Good News” in Russia July 25, 2015
- Houlka’s Hobson on rise July 29, 2015
- Suspicious mailers sent before Primary Election July 29, 2015
- Victoria Wofford awarded Yates Scholarship July 29, 2015
- Quality Iron announces expansion in Houston July 30, 2015
- Houlka aldermen updated on water, sewer issues July 31, 2015
- Man arrested following assault with knife July 31, 2015
- Two charged in Calhoun County death July 31, 2015
- County elections are Tuesday, Aug. 4 July 31, 2015
- Ole Miss begins season No. 15 in coaches poll July 30, 2015
- Jimmie Hardin: I for one cared that it was a week late. I live in...
- Daniel Drown: Great article about this timeless masterpiece that...
- Greg Schmidt: This is good news because this is one of the most ...
- Barbara Swanson: I found this amazing site to make a living online....
- Kansas and Mississippi become 8th and 9th states to allow carrying without a permit - Crime Prevention Research Center: […] The Kansas and Mississippi governors hav...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago