Houlka coach Jimmy Guy McDonald said out loud what is on every coaches’ mind during the early season. “Some people like to play basketball in November,” McDonald said with a smile. “I like to play in February.” Although the fans of the sport love the game now matter when it’s played, coaches and players realize […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
The Thanksgiving holiday is over and, for local basketball teams, it’s time to get back in action. Okolona High School will host their annual Hardwood Tournament this Saturday featuring four local teams going head-to-head in competition. The schedule kicks off at 3 p.m. with the Lady Chieftains hosting the Lady Bulldogs of Aberdeen. The 4A […]
The Lady Hilltoppers have made a pretty nice start to the season, posting a 6-1 record through November, but their coaches know how deceptive the early season can be. Girl’s coach, Vernessa Gates, is pleased with the effort to kick off the season but is not ready to let them rest on their laurels. “Our […]
Mississippi Public Broadcasting television is broadcasting live the Mississippi High School Activities Association State Football Championships, presented by Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Mississippi. All six championship games will air as they are played on December 6-7 at the Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium in Jackson. Because of its statewide broadcasting reach, MPB will have […]
Management of permanent openings is an important component of managing habitat for wildlife. These openings may be planted for cool season or warm season food plots or simply maintained in early successional vegetation. The intensity in which the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks manages wildlife openings on Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) is impacted […]
MHSAA FOOTBALL STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS Veterans Memorial Stadium, Jackson Friday, Dec. 6 Class 1A: Smithville (11-3) vs. French Camp (10-5), 11 a.m. Class 2A: Calhoun City (12-3) vs. Bassfield (14-1), 3 p.m. Class 6A: Tupelo (13-1) vs. Oak Grove (13-1), 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 7 Class 3A: Louisville (15-0) vs. Hazlehurst (14-1), 11 a.m. Class 4A: […]
The Tanglefoot Travelers tennis team wrapped up their fall regular season, but will hit the court again on Dec. 6 as they head to the State Championship tournament. The team, comprised of players from Houston and Pontotoc, and named after the Tanglefoot Trail which runs through both towns, played their final fall match Nov. 8 […]
The Houston Hurricances pee wee football team brought home the glory as the Little League Athletic Association District Champions for 2013. The Hurricanes went undefeated this season, winning against Vardaman, Calhoun City, Eupora, Pontotoc and Bruce under the direction of coach Larry Wright. The Hurricanes clinched their title with a Nov. 7 win over Pontotoc […]
The Houston High School football banquet was held Nov. 21 with several players receiving awards and a few getting nods in multiple categories. Zach White took home four awards including the Bones award for defense and the Todd Hardin Memorial award for character, not only on the football field, but also in the classroom and […]
Basketball is still in the early season and that allows mobility to schedule some crowd pleasing games before division starts. Houlka and Houston took advantage of the timing to schedule a county match that brought a near-capacity crowd to the Houlka gym Nov. 19. The Lady Hilltoppers started off the evening, dominating the Lady Wildcats […]
The City of Houston Park and Recreation department is offering youth basketball this winter and P&R Director, John Gravat, shared his thoughts on the program and supporting quality youth programs in the area. First, I just want to thank God for allowing me to be part of our city and county’s youth and also thank […]
Chelsea Robinson and Claire Alford were spotted goofing around on the sideline of the Houston/Bruce basketball game Nov. 22. Both are students at Houston High School and varsity cheerleaders.
The Lady Toppers kept their early season record in positive numbers Nov. 22 as they controlled the floor for a 44-36 win over the Lady Trojans of Bruce. Houston led by ten through the half and came back after the break determined to stay ahead through a balanced floor and a team effort. “One thing […]
Houston’s Park and Recreation department is growing steadily with new options for residents of Houston and the surrounding areas. This fall, Park and Rec offered adult softball for men and women that turned out to be widely popular and for their winter follow-up, they are hosting children’s and youth basketball. Park and Rec Director, John […]
- Houston Holiday Bazaar is tonight December 5, 2013
- Christmas Events December 4, 2013
- Fatal accident in Pontotoc County December 4, 2013
- Wide load moving on Hwy. 45, Thursday December 3, 2013
- Golden Angel adoption opens December 3, 2013
- Houston Holiday Bazaar is tonight December 5, 2013
- Around the court December 5, 2013
- FLOYD INGRAM: Christmas in Houston December 5, 2013
- Hugh Hamilton December 5, 2013
- EDITORIAL: Driver’s license office needed in Chickasaw County December 5, 2013
- Iggy: I am from the uk and just watching worlds strictes...
- Linda: He does NOT make it right. I ordered beef from him...
- Reed Jones: Greenwood's division record is 5-0....
- jess ellard: decisions to build or re-build in older sections a...
- the_rocket: The Supreme Court has ruled against the endorsemen...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 6 months ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 6 months ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 6 months ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 6 months ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 6 months ago