Just about the time Houlka thought they had their playoff berth secured, they watched it slip away to the bats of the Hamilton Lions. The Wildcats had to win over Hamilton by three runs to take the third place spot cleanly with no tie breakers or point differentials. Hamilton went up by one in the […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
The Toppers know they have the number two spot in division 4-4A. They know they will host Game One of their first playoff series Thursday. The only question is – against who? “We won’t know we we’ve got until Tuesday night with division 2-4A is complete,” said coach Scott Gann. The 2-4A battle for positions […]
The Lady Hilltoppers put themselves in a hole in their first inning against West Lauderdale April 15, allowing the Lady Knights to go through the batting order and rack up six runs. Then it was time to dig in and dig out. The Houston girls held the Lady Knights in the second with Mary Kansas […]
Runners and walkers will take to the streets April 26 in the annual spring Pink Ribbon run sponsored by Team Hope Houston. The event benefits community members who are battling beast cancer and their families. Team Hope Houston is a civic group comprised of local women committed to making a difference in the fight against […]
The Bruce Trojans got a win in the county rivalry against Vardaman Saturday, but it didn’t come easy and took eight innings to do it. The Trojans came out in the second with a 1-0 lead and added six more through the bottom of the fourth to appear as if they were going to put […]
The Okolona Area Chamber of Commerce will sponsor the fifth annual golf tournament April 26 a the Okolona Country Club. The four-person scramble will begin at 8 a.m. with a shotgun start. Pre-registration is $40 and on-site registration is $50. Cart rental available for $15 while they last. To register, contact Perry Grubbs at 447-5913.
The Lady Rams had the same problem with Smithville everyone else in division 4-1A has had this year – a tough defense led by pitcher Morgan Barrett. The Lady Rams hosted the Lady Seminoles April 10 without much success as Smithville rolled past the Vardaman girls 9-0. Grace Edmondson, Cheyenne McKiney and Sydney Huffman managed […]
The Hilltopper tennis team finished second in division and were scheduled to head to Cleveland Tuesday for their first round of playoffs, but five members of the team have already clinched a trip to State in individual events. The boy’s doubles team of Walt Harrington and Chase Eldridge took top honors in division and will […]
The Lady Toppers helped solidify their spot in the playoffs last week as they romped over the Lady Gators of Leake Central April 10 on the home field. The Houston girls grabbed an early 8-1 lead through the first two innings but didn’t stop there. In the top of the third the Lady Gators loaded […]
The Houston Hilltoppers made a mark in non-division play during Super Bulldog weekend in Starkville, posting maroon and white on a win over the Starkville Yellowjackets. Freshman pitcher, Anekein Rish, went all seven innings in the 8-2 win. “Anekein threw another great ball game for us,” said coach Scott Gann. “He just really keeps hitters […]
The Hebron Christian Eagles took on the Rams of Kemper Academy April 11 for the district championship on the campus of East Mississippi Community College. HCS, undefeated in district play, had handed KA its only district defeat back in March earning a 10-3 win at Pheba. A win in the Friday game would clinch the […]
The Houston Hilltoppers will host the West Lauderdale Knights Friday, April 18 at 3 p.m. for the district championship. Fans and supporters are encouraged to pack the ball park and show their support!
The Wolverines are right at the top of the pack heading into playoffs with another district match still to come. The East Webster boys knocked off Okolona Friday to put them at 5-0 in division and will face Bruce this week to complete the division schedule. “We will be in playoffs, not sure what seed […]
Okolona’s Robert Herron placed fourth at State Powerlifting meet with a combined lift of 1,205-pounds in the Super Heavyweight class. Herron squatted 405-pounds, benched 275-pounds and deadlifted 525-pounds. He placed ahead of Jacquez Jackson of Bruce but under two contenders from Bay St. Louis and one from Scott County. “There were some tough guys from […]
- Glenda Gann April 23, 2014
- Cleo Boyce April 22, 2014
- Okolona cracks down on city travel April 22, 2014
- Manufacturing event set for Franklin Furniture Center at MSU April 21, 2014
- Pink ribbon run Saturday April 21, 2014
- Glenda Gann April 23, 2014
- Amber Alert issued for missing 2-year-old Lowndes County girl April 23, 2014
- Lions snatch victory from Wildcats April 23, 2014
- Houston hosts a who? April 23, 2014
- Paying it forward April 23, 2014
- help: They treat their employees like they are slaves wo...
- William: This is best content site Deer archery....
- Marathon set for Tanglefoot Trail | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Trail opening was top story for 2013 [...
- Tickets issued for dogs in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Robertson speaks to Okolona Aldermen [...
- DOCKET: Circuit Court in Okolona | Chickasaw JournalChickasaw Journal: […] Circuit Court verdicts imposed in Okolon...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 11 months ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 11 months ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 11 months ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 11 months ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 11 months ago