Daily Journal The schedule for Friday and Saturday’s MHSAA State Tournament basketball tournament games involving a Northeast Mississippi teams has been changed because of weather-related travel concerns. Two boys games scheduled for Friday have been moved to Monday at Jackson State: 9 a.m., Class 4A – New Albany vs. McComb; 10:30 a.m., Class 2A – […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
OKOLONA – Basketball coach Arteria Clifton was busy teaching science at Okolona High School Monday morning, but his mind was somewhere between last week’s last second victory over Hollandale-Simmons and this week’s matchup with Bassfield at the state playoffs in Jackson. “It’s tournament time and it’s a whirlwind,” said Clifton. “This is my first time […]
HAMILTON – Madarius Hobson outscored Smithville. The Houlka freshman’s 23 points: one more than the Seminoles in a less-than-dramatic 83-22 win in Thursday’s Division 4-1A semifinals. At that point it was anybody’s guess how far Houlka (23-4) would go, but Smithville and the rest of Class 1A knew the Wildcats were serious about the journey […]
By Gene Phelps Daily Journal The remaining first-round games of the MHSAA girls basketball playoffs postponed Monday and Wednesday because of Winter Storm Remus are expected to be played today. Most of the boys’ first-round games were played Tuesday. A few were rescheduled for today. Some girls teams, including Itawamba AHS and Ripley, were able […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal Many of Monday’s girls North tournament basketball games have been postponed due to potentially icy road conditions. Boys tournament openers were scheduled for Tuesday, with the second round scheduled for Saturday. Girls’ second-round games are scheduled for Friday. Here is the new schedule, as best we can tell, via texts, […]
HOULKA WILDCAT 1975 GRAND SLAM CHAMPIONS. Members of the 1975 Houlka Lady Wildcat State Championship team were honored between the boys and girls basketball game Friday at Houlka Gym. Houlka Coach Jimmy Guy McDonald, who coached that team, presented a trophy to each Lady Wildcat.
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal Friday’s icy North Mississippi weather forced division basketball tournament schedules to slip and slide. Mass scheduling confusion eventually left 14 games to be played on Friday, the remaining games left on today’s still-busy slate. The highest-ranking matchup of the 13 area tournaments is still scheduled for tonight at Northeast CC […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal HAMILTON – Madarius Hobson outscored Smithville. The Houlka freshman’s 23 points: one more than the Seminoles in a less-than-dramatic 83-22 win in Thursday’s Division 4-1A semifinals. Who knows how far Houlka (23-4) will go, but Smithville and the rest of Class 1A knows the Wildcats are serious about the journey […]
HOULKA – The intensity, emotion and home crowd all played favor to the Wildcats’ victory at Senior night Friday night. Houlka hosted West Union at Houlka Gym and the Eagles, a talented non-conference team with a lot of youth, just didn’t have the answer for the homestanding Wildcat boys’ hot offensive and defensive play. Houlka […]
FULTON, MS – The Itawamba Community College football coaching staff welcome 35 new faces to the program on Wednesday, the first day of the national signing period. “It’s always an exciting day when you bring new guys into your program,” said ICC Football coach Sean Cannon. “We felt like we were able to get some […]
JACKSON — Landowners, managers and hunters wanting to learn how to develop their land for turkey and quail can take part in a seminar on Feb. 27. The Mississippi State University Extension Service and the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks are organizing the workshop, which will begin at 8:30 a.m. at the Mississippi […]
HOUSTON – Every year is different in high school football because the players are different. “This was a very special bunch of guys to me,” said Houston football coach William Cook of the 2014 Houston High School football team. “They were young, they were smaller than just about everybody we played and they stayed after […]
HOULKA – On one side of the court they were building a lead, on the other, well let’s just say they kept it competitive. Houlka Wildcats hosted Ingomar Falcons on Saturday afternoon at Houlka gym with a good crowd on hand to watch good basketball. The Houlka Boys team is on a tear, winning the […]
CALHOUN CITY — When it comes to sports Calhoun City Wildcats knows the game of basketball. The top ranked Wildcats took a couple of Friday night hoop win over the Vardaman Ram boys and girls teams. The Wildcat boys moved on to a overall record of 21-5 and a perfect 5-0 record in district with […]
- DANIEL GARDNER: God given rights February 28, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Who deserves your vote? March 5, 2015
- Fifty-three throw hat in the ring March 5, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: The snowstorm of 2015 March 5, 2015
- On to Jackson March 5, 2015
- Three dead in Pontotoc County wreck March 6, 2015
- Blue and Gray to portray local history March 6, 2015
- Okolona state tournament game moved to Monday March 6, 2015
- Houston names projects March 6, 2015
- Snow! And lots of it March 5, 2015
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago