OKOLONA – The Chieftains stood just a little bit taller than the Nettleton Tigers Friday night in a high school hoop contest that was anybody’s game until the final frame. Nettleton relied mainly on one player to produce points while Okolona spread it around and ended up with the victory, 71-63. “We started slow but […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal Calhoun City has bowled over opponents this season, scoring in bunches – 42.4 points per game. That’s about 33 points more than the Wildcats’ defense needed, on average. The offensive numbers get the headlines, deservedly. Calhoun City (12-0), the state’s top Class 2A team, has rushed for 319.2 yards per […]
LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The Northeast Mississippi Community College softball program has maintained its longtime standard of fielding one of the best scholastic squads in the entire country. The Tigers were selected as one of the Top 10 All-Academic Teams in the junior college division by the National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) for the 2014 campaign. […]
TROPHY ELK (Courtesy Photo) Retired Game Warden Danny Nicholson shot this 6X7 trophy Rocky Mountain Bull Elk while hunting in Northwest Colorado on Oct. 20, 2014 near Maybell. He shot the trophy at 360-yards with a .270-cal. Browning BAR rifle using a 130-grain Remington soft-point. Danny said he now spends time hunting the country and […]
AREA SCORES Friday Class 1A Playoffs (First round) Broad Street 47, Falkner 34 Shaw 39, Smithville 0 Class 2A Playoffs (Second round) East Webster 34, Baldwyn 7 Calhoun City 49, South Delta 0 Bruce 39, J.Z. George 6 Class 3A Playoffs (Second round) Aberdeen 66, North Pontotoc 30 Louisville 42, Mooreville 28 Charleston 35, Kossuth […]
OKOLONA – Houlka had a good first quarter, but a stronger and faster Smithville team came to town Thursday and left with their eyes on their next opponent and a possible state title. The Smithville Semioles (8-3, 6-2) were met with a stingy Wildcat defense but as the game wore on the Houlka (1-9, 1-7) […]
OXFORD — Turnovers and too many missed opportunities cost the Houston Hilltoppers a chance from moving on in the MHSAA Class 4A playoffs Friday night. Even though Houston forced four Lafayette turnovers in the first half, the Hilltoppers weren’t able to score enough to keep up with the Commodores. The end result was a 41-16 […]
Associated Press Here are Mississippi’s top high school football teams in each class as selected by a panel of Associated Press state sports writers. Note: There are no updated rankings for classes 4A, 3A and 2A because those teams began playoffs last week. Class Overall School W-L Pts Prv 1. Starkville (4) (11-0) 40 1 […]
AREA SCORES Thursday Regular season Falkner 43, Vardaman 21 Smithville 48, Houlka 0 West Point 65, Lewisburg 51 Friday Regular season Coffeeville 49, Hamilton 0 Starkville Aca. 31, Pillow Aca. 0 Tupelo 24, Olive Branch 7 Oxford 49, Lake Cormorant 13 Saltillo 32, New Hope 29 Starkville 56, Clinton 46 Thrasher 20, Coldwater 14 Class […]
MACON – Houston faced a tough and top-ranked Noxubee County football team and took a 34-10 loss from the Tigers, but now turn their attention to a First Round Playoff game with Lafayette on Friday. Houston lost their 1,000-yard running back Brandon Townsend last week and called on a variety of players against Noxubee to […]
OKOLONA – Houlka took the field Friday night with a cold wind blowing and six starters either out for the season or nursing injuries that did not allow them to play the Coldwater Cougars in a key District 1A, Region 1 matchup. Houlka, (1-8, 1-6) saw their top running back/quarterback Tyreque Reed suffer a neck […]
PHEBA – Senior Night is a critical night in the life of every gridder and the Hebron Eagles went out with a bang as they down Calhoun Academy in a critical district match up. Hebron topped the visiting Cougars from Calhoun County, 54-30 and came out of the gate strong and finished strong. Hebron struck […]
HOUSTON – Jim Stites is a sticker for detail and that suits him well as band director for the Houston High School band program. Stites is in his second year a band director and carried the Topper Pride Marching Band to Tupelo recently for the MHSAA Region 1 Marching Band Festival where they competed against […]
Aberdeen 52, South Pontotoc 14 Baldwyn 48, New Site 20 Belmont 30, Alcorn Central 12 Calhoun City 54, Okolona 0 Coffeeville 53, Falkner 0 Coldwater 50, Houlka 6 Corinth 33, Amory 7 Hatley 35, East Union 7 Hebron 54, Calhoun Academy 30 H.W. Byers 54, Potts Camp 41 Itawamba AHS 31, Tishomingo County 14 Kossuth […]
- Remembering veterans November 14, 2014
- Calhoun City National Guard debriefed November 17, 2014
- Safe from the storms November 17, 2014
- Keep it quiet! November 18, 2014
- NEMCC softball named NFCA Top 10 academically November 18, 2014
- Volunteers need to answer the call November 20, 2014
- Holiday stockpile November 20, 2014
- Roof concerns discussed again November 20, 2014
- TIP IT OFF! November 20, 2014
- Solar farm shines in Chickasaw County November 19, 2014
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- Sad for Our Kids: Bravo! You've done your job as an advocate for a...
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago