Associated Press Here are Mississippi’s top high school football teams in each class as selected by a panel of Associated Press state sports writers. Class Overall School W-L Pts Prv 1. Starkville (12) (5-0) 138 1 2. South Panola (2) (5-0) 128 2 3. Tupelo (5-0) 100 3 4. Picayune (4-0) 78 4 5. Oxford […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
Staff reports Oxford 43, West Point 22 Oxford took a big step to earning the top spot in Division 1-5A with a 43-22 win over West Point Friday night at McCallister Field. Down 22-8 late in the first half, the Chargers (4-1) scored just before the half and then really changed the complexion of […]
AREA SCORES Friday Aberdeen 42, Corinth 7 Amory 27, Bruce 0 Baldwyn 42, Tishomingo Co. 14 Calhoun Aca. 37, Strider Aca. 6 Calhoun City 54, N. Panola 6 Coffeeville 52, Biggersville 0 East Webster 38, J.Z. George 7 Eupora 36, Houston 28 Falkner 54, Houlka 0 Harding, Tenn. 30, Booneville 22 Hatley 48, TCPS 6 […]
HOUSTON – The Choctaw County Chargers lived up to their name as they charged back in the second half to score 21 points and top the Houston Hilltoppers 28-26 Friday night. Things looked good heading into halftime as Houston held a 20-7 lead over Choctaw County, but the elusive running of Charger quarterback Jamarcus Bradley […]
The Houston New Century Club will host its Pink Ribbon 5K Run/Walk in conjunction with the Houston Flywheel Festival Saturday, Sept. 27. The annual event kicks off Saturday’s Flywheel Festival with runners gathering at Joe Brigance Park and running or walking the course that morning to raise funds to fight breast cancer. Trophies are given […]
AREA SCORES Friday Aberdeen 57, Itawamba AHS 29 Booneville 43, Tishomingo Co. 28 Bruce 25, West Bolivar 12 Calhoun Aca. 33, N. River Christ. 28 Calhoun City 20, Ripley 12 Choctaw Co. 28, Houston 26 Coffeeville 48, Thrasher 0 Corinth 52, New Albany 13 East Webster 33, Caledonia 23 Falkner 33, Hamilton 26 Hatley 41, […]
JACKSON – New for the upcoming 2014-15 deer hunting season are changes in “legal weapons” regulations for private lands in Mississippi. During any open season on deer with primitive weapons after Nov. 30, deer hunters may use any legal weapon of choice on private lands. This regulation change was made during the 2013 Legislative Session […]
OKOLONA – The Chieftains played their hearts out but victory evaded them on Homecoming night as the Blytheville Choctaws won 25-24. Okolona fell behind early but battle back for a whirlwind fourth quarter that saw them take the lead. A couple of questionable calls allowed the Choctaws to score the last points and stalled a […]
HOUSTON – The Lady Hilltopper started with a bang as they scored 12 runs in their first at bat and came back in the second inning to score five more. Houston notched 16 hits in the 17-3 vitory over Calhoun City last week. Hilltopper Talaja Echols hit a homer in the first inning to inspire […]
HOUSTON – Hilltopper senior running back Brandon Townsend has several nicknames: Boosie, Big Boy and The Bus. And the wheels on The Bus went round and round as Townsend and the Houston offense ran long and ran hard in a 26-7 win over East Webster Friday night. Houston has a tendency to win ballgames where […]
Football may be the game of the week but the Southeastern Conference managed to work in some hoops news recently with the release of the men’s basketball league schedule. Ole Miss will begin conference play on the road for the 13th time in the last 17 years as the Rebels travel to Kentucky on Jan. […]
HOUSTON – The Battle of the Creek between Houston and Okolona has a history that is at least twice as old at the young gridders who played Friday night’s cross-county matchup. And while Houston was not expected to dominate the contest like they did this this year, a couple of Hilltoppers remember two games where […]
DALLAS – What a whirlwind it has been for former Ranger and NJCAA First Team All-American left tackle Donald Hawkins. It’s one that could change his life forever. Hawkins, who played the 2010-11 seasons at Northwest Community College and the 2012-13 seasons for the Texas Longhorns, was released by the Philadelphia Eagles, picked up and waived […]
HOUSTON – When Houston decided to run the football against the Okolona Chieftains on Friday night, the Hilltoppers were running downhill. Two running backs powered for 283 yards as the Hilltoppers rushed past Okolona 44-6, in the long-running, cross-county contest billed as the Battle of The Creek. “We played a complete game tonight,” Houston coach […]
- Anchor Alzheimer Challenge September 24, 2014
- Flywheel set to spin Sept. 26-27 September 27, 2014
- WEEK 6: High school football scores September 27, 2014
- WEEK 6: Football Roundup September 27, 2014
- RENEE CUNNINGHAM: Common Core; Do the math September 27, 2014
- WEEK 6: AP high school football state rankings September 30, 2014
- Senate not only race on November ballot September 30, 2014
- Houston donates bus to Chickasaw EMA September 30, 2014
- Enterovirus D68 confirmed in Calhoun County September 30, 2014
- LIFE strategies September 29, 2014
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- Carol Mac: I went to the Tupelo run, and I have some advice f...
- Candace R.: If that isn't nepotism, what is??? The solution ...
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago