BOONEVILLE – Northeast Mississippi Community College’s softball program took part in a popular sensation that is sweeping its way across the nation to help bring more attention to a dreadful illness. The Tigers completed the Ice Bucket Challenge to benefit research for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), which is better known as Lou Gehrig’s Disease, on […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
COLUMBUS — Eight-man football got underway with Hebron Christian Academy Eagles on the road against the Victory Christian Academy Eagles Friday night. Both teams opened the gridiron season with high expectations from last year. Victory was only one win away from winning it all in their league, Alabama Christian Football Association Eight-Man. Hebron has been […]
VARDMAN – The East Webster Wolverines are known for being physical but they proved Friday night they can pass the ball too, as they handed the Vardaman Rams a 64-14 loss. “We knew coming into this game that Vardaman was going to be physical up front,” said East Webster junior quarterback Jack Wilson. “We had […]
PONTOTOC – Houston running back Brandon “Boosie” Townsend rushed 20 times for 206 yards and a touchdown to lead the Hilltoppers to a season-opener victory over Pontotoc. It was a hot night and difficult game for the Pontotoc Warriors, as they could not find a way to overcome Houston’s rushing attack and fell to the […]
My hunting season begins Monday when we head to the dove field. I hope your first shot hits the mark, too. I can’t tell you the first time I went dove hunting. I didn’t get to shoot, but I did get to pick up the birds. It was grand fun to take to the field […]
HOUSTON – The Lady Hilltoppers are always good, but they gave an indication of just how strong they can be with a 13-0 victory over Vardaman last week. The Toppers had 11 hits, including a triple and game ending home run, then played flawless defense that saw no Vardaman baserunner advance beyond second. “I thought […]
OKOLONA – Northeast Mississippi kicked off the 2014 fall football season in Okolona last week with the Houlka Wildcats facing the East Union Urchins in a Thursday night tilt that saw East Union come out on top 21-12. The Urchins gave Houlka it chance but secured the win on a 10-yard touchdown scamper by Cage […]
HOUSTON – Two Houston athletes have been named to the top of their class by the Mississippi Elite Underclassmen Showcase by BSN Sports. The 2014 Most Valuable Players selected by coaches and scouts are: • Luke Hancock, Houston, Class of 2018. • Tanner Smith, Houston, Class of 2017. • Jacob Wilcher, Kossuth, Class of 2016. […]
Thursday East Union vs. Houlka (at Okolona) Friday Aberdeen at Shannon Amory at Independence Baldwyn at Nettleton Benton County at H.W. Byers Biggersville at Alcorn Central Bruce at North Pontotoc Coffeeville at Calhoun City East Oktibbeha at Okolona East Webster at Vardaman Ethel at Mantachie Grenada Kirk at Marshall Academy Grenada at West Point Hamilton […]
WEST LOWNDES – They weren’t perfect but the Houston Hilltopper hit hard and did what they had to do to take a 9-8, pre-season win Friday afternoon. The Hilltoppers showed they can do a variety of things as they ran, passed and even kicked a field goal to win their two-quarter contest with Bessemer Academy, […]
ENON – Hunters wanting to hone their skills just before dove season are being urged to attend the Enon Skeet Shoot hosted by the Enon Hunting Club this coming weekend. The event will see participants shoot five shots from five stations from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at the range east of […]
WALNUT RIDGE, Ark. – Brennan Pugh of Houston, has been awarded an Academic Excellence Scholarship to attend Williams Baptist College. The scholarship is awarded to students transferring to WBC from other institutions, based on their academic achievements. Pugh is a graduate of Houston High School. He is the son of Lee and Millette Nabors of […]
New Site has spent a lot of money to make all those Jackson trips to the MHSAA state girls basketball tournament. From 2008 to 2013, the Lady Royals went to five straight. That’s a total of nine trips – 10 if you count a coaches scouting trip. Keep track even further and it’s “around 12” […]
BOONEVILLE – Northeast Mississippi Community College’s women’s hoops program concluded another successful summer with its annual Lady Tiger Basketball Camp for future hard-court star being held June 25-27 at legendary Bonner Arnold Coliseum. The three-day event was open to any girl in the fifth through eighth grades. Several experienced area coaches aided Northeast head coach […]
- Flywheel Festival set for Sept. 26-27 August 26, 2014
- This is the way we roll! August 29, 2014
- Volunteer and make a difference August 29, 2014
- Lady Tigers accept ALS challenge. August 30, 2014
- THOMPSON: Paying at the pump August 30, 2014
- Houston’s Scott receives NSHSS honor September 2, 2014
- CUNNINGHAM: Common Core linked to federal dollars September 1, 2014
- Hands of Hope September 1, 2014
- BRASSFIELD: Thank you Chickasaw County! August 31, 2014
- ALLEN: First day at new job August 31, 2014
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- Carol Mac: I went to the Tupelo run, and I have some advice f...
- Candace R.: If that isn't nepotism, what is??? The solution ...
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...
- Pat Southerland: It is interesting to see that Mrs. Dendy is resign...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago