By Brandon Speck Daily Journal CLINTON – Bassfield will visit Oxford on Friday in search of its fourth-straight state Class 2A football championship. The first three haven’t been close, 35-0 over Eupora, followed by 48-7 and 60-35 over Calhoun City. The Yellow Jackets have outscored four 2015 playoff teams 191-62. East Webster coach Doug Wilson, […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
MHSAA PLAYOFFS North/South Finals Friday CLASS 6A North Starkville 28, Madison Central 20 South Petal 36, Meridian 28 CLASS 5A North Oxford 35, West Point 7 South Wayne County 55, Laurel 27 CLASS 4A North Noxubee County 14, Greenwood 7 South St. Stanislaus 62, Lawrence County 28 CLASS 3A North Charleston 37, Aberdeen 6 South […]
by Logan Lowery Daily Journal STARKVILLE – Chris Jones knew he was destined to be a star long before recruiting services placed five of them beside his name. Jones missed part of his junior season at Houston after transferring in from Nettleton and it wasn’t until the summer before his senior […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chicksaw Journal OKOLONA – If the tired cliché “defense wins championships” does hold true, based on the way the Okolona Chieftains played Friday night, they may be on their way to a special season. With tough defense, and great shooting from the floor, the Okolona […]
By Ethan Turner Special to the Chickasaw Journal Rivals in sports are created in numerous ways. It could be one team’s actions towards another, or perhaps distance between schools. The latter example is the reason for Houlka and Houston. And when the two teams met Tuesday night on the basketball court […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – In the playoffs, only one team goes undefeated and that will not be Houston this fall. The Houston (9-5, 2-3) Hilltoppers lost to the Noxubee (10-4, 5-0) Tigers, 56-26, in a hard fought, hard hitting third round playoff game Friday night that was the […]
By Emma Crawford Kent Daily Journal HOUSTON – The high school students who make up the Houston Solar Car Team brought life lessons and plenty of memories back from its nearly three-week trip to Australia. The team took its car, Sundancer, to the World Solar Challenge, where it competed in a […]
By Ethan Turner Chickasaw Journal ABERDEEN – It was a tough night for Houston Hilltoppers Basketball as the teams traveled to Aberdeen to face the Bulldogs. In both games, the Lady Toppers and Toppers fell to the Aberdeen Bulldogs 53-27 and 85-64 respectively. In the first game, the Lady Toppers found […]
NOVEMBER 20, 2015 PLAYOFF GAMES CLASS 1A Shaw (8-4) at Smithville (12-1) THE PLAYERS Shaw: QB Jermarquis Stimmage has rushed for 457 yards, 11 TDs on 58 carries. … QB Travelle Ware has rushed for 422 yards, 5 TDs on 81 carries. … DL Kuston Montgomery has 3 sacks. Smithville: QB Blake Comer has thrown […]
By Logan Lowery Daily Journal STARKVILLE – Chris Jones knew he was destined to be a star long before recruiting services placed five of them beside his name. Jones missed part of his junior season at Houston after transferring in from Nettleton and it wasn’t until the summer before his senior year that he started […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal When the season is over – whenever that may be – Denver McQuary will probably sit back and relish where his name is. Last Friday, Houston’s senior safety intercepted Rosa Fort three times. That gave him 32 career interceptions, breaking the Mississippi record held by four players, including the late […]
OKOLONA – In a season filled with anticipation, the Okolona Chieftains basketball team recorded their first win of this young season Friday night in an impressive victory over the Shannon Red Radiers, 96-92. As tipoff neared, the Okolona gym was filled to the rafters as fans from both sides were ready […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal TUNICA – Houston had a happy ride home from Tunica late Friday night and it had nothing to do with the casinos. The fourth-seeded Hilltoppers have become the story of Class 4A, winning 20-6 at Rosa Fort, with senior DB Denver McQuary’s snagging three interceptions to set […]
Houston safety Denver McQuary set the state record for interceptions at 32 Friday night. The Houston Solar Car recently completed and raced the most miles in the World Solar Car Challenge. The Houston Baseball team went to the State Championship game this past spring. The Okolona Basketball team went to the State Championship […]
- Parents reminded that school attendance is mandatory November 24, 2015
- Chieftains roll over the Panthers November 27, 2015
- MSU’s Jones was destined for the spotlight November 28, 2015
- WEEK 15: High School Football Scores November 28, 2015
- Three Rivers, CDF, LINK honored November 28, 2015
- PLAYOFF PREVIEW: East Webster standing in the way of Bassfield December 1, 2015
- Ducktails, poodle skirts and smiling girls December 1, 2015
- Christmas parades set for area November 30, 2015
- WARZELLE GILLESPIE: Thankful for so many, so much November 29, 2015
- MARTY WISEMAN: Where are we in politics? November 29, 2015
- Harvey Birdman, Esq.: You're going to rely on 90's era litigation in o...
- Firebug2006: "What will be law here, is an impossibly, deliber...
- Harvey Birdman, Esq.: The petition suggests a phase-in period, but the p...
- Nancy Young: Thank you for your lifelong support of public educ...
- DENICE ANNA CONEY: Just what I was looking for. That helped me a lot....
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago