HOUSTON – Bill Smith’s eyes lit up as members of the Houston Exchange Club sang Happy Birthday and the Egg Bowl Trophy was plopped in his lap as part of 90th birthday ceremonies at Floy Dyer Nursing Home Friday. “Oh, the only thing prettier than this is Mary,” said Smith of the Ole Miss/MSU game […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
HOUSTON – Baseball is a game of hitting and pitching and the Northeast Community College Tigers have inked one of both from Houston. Senior left-hander Reid Carter and senior slugger Garrison Howell signed Letters of Intent to play for the Tigers at ceremonies at the Houston High School Commons last week under the flash of […]
OKOLONA – Chieftain basketball coach Arteria Clifton liked everything about the game against Houlka except the score. Okolona fell to Houlka, 74-71, in a fiercely contested cross-county match-up that was anybody’s game until the final few seconds. “I was proud of the ways our guys played and we could have won it,” said Clifton. “We […]
HOUSTON – You play a lot of basketball games in high school, but the “New Year Turn” brings those all important district games into the schedule. The Houston Hilltoppers and Lady Hilltoppers opened the district slate with wins over Caledonia Friday night at the Houston High School Gym. The boys downed the Confederates 57-52 and […]
By Logan Lowery Daily Journal STARKVILLE – Mississippi State received a jolt heading into the offseason, as junior quarterback Dak Prescott announced he would be returning for his senior campaign. Prescott held a press conference Wednesday afternoon to make his decision public. “I looked at some of the NFL quarterbacks like Peyton Manning and Andrew […]
By Gene Phelps Special to the Chickasaw Journal VARDAMAN – Madarius Hobson hit a little bit of everything in his offensive arsenal Tuesday, but he was still held under his 23-points-per-game average. Houlka’s multi-talented 6-foot-1 freshman guard scored all 21 of his points in a lopsided first quarter to lead the Wildcats (15-4, 1-0) to […]
OKOLONA – It was classic Mississippi high school hoop that went down to the wire. The Houston Hilltoppers boys and girls traveled to Okolona and both pulled off wins with the boys going down to the last few seconds and the girls game going into overtime. Houston 57, Okolona 56, Houston’s Caleb Morgan […]
HOUSTON – Two former Houston Hilltopper football stars have used two years at Itawamba Community College to springboard them to the next level. Sharone Wright and Anfernee brand recently came home to Houston to ink their NCAA Letters of Intent and announce they will play at Mississippi College next year. “MC has a good program […]
By Logan Lowery Daily Journal STARKVILLE – Decades ago, the triple option offense was commonplace in college football. However with today’s pass-happy playbooks, very few teams even dare to run it. Georgia Tech still runs the triple option, close to perfection under head coach Paul Johnson. The Yellow Jackets are chewing up 333.6 yards per […]
Wesley Walls, the Pontotoc standout who played at Ole Miss and rose to prominence in a 13-year NFL career, was inducted Tuesday night into the National Football Foundation’s College Hall of Fame. The 57th NFF Annual Awards Dinner was held at the Waldorf Astoria in New York City. “I’m truly honored and humbled,” Walls said […]
By Ralph D. Russo Associated Press Heisman Trophy winner Marcus Mariota will likely take his game to the NFL next season. Runner-up Melvin Gordon has already said he will be skipping his last year of eligibility at Wisconsin to enter the NFL draft. Alabama receiver Amari Cooper, the other finalist who finished third in the […]
The Chickasaw Journal will gladly run a photo of you and your big buck on the Sports Pages of your newspaper. You can submit your photo by Email at email@example.com or drop it by the Chickasaw Journal offices at 225 East Madison Street in Houston. Please include your name, phone number, the names of people […]
The Houston High School Basketball Booster Club will be hosting an old timers holiday basketball game on Dec. 26 at 4 p.m. Houston High School. Any former player (2010-and-beyond) interested in playing, should contact Rita Gunn at 662-542-0822 or Vernessa Gates at 456-6828.
The MHSAA has released the new class realignment for the next two years. Houston will stay in 4A, Region 4 but will see West Lauderdale drop from the district slate and be replaced by all to familiar foe Louisville that had dropped down to 3A for two years. Houston is the smallest school in 4A […]
- Houlka school “footprint” unveiled January 18, 2015
- EDITORIAL: Keeping the dream alive January 22, 2015
- FLOYD INGRAM: Looking forward to sunny days January 22, 2015
- Wildcats nip Chiefs January 22, 2015
- Gas goes under $2 January 23, 2015
- ICC names fall graduates January 25, 2015
- Mr. Houston January 25, 2015
- Deputies raid underage party in Mooreville, adult charged January 24, 2015
- Do legislators really know better than voters? January 24, 2015
- Alford earns ICC scholarship January 24, 2015
- Royal Chocolate: Great to see progress in my hometown!...
- Cherry Walker: I had heard this woman's name before so I did som...
- Kathryn: I'd say that Mr. Scott nailed it. Well said, sir...
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 2 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 2 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 2 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 2 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 2 years ago