BOONEVILLE – Chelsea Gates is enthusiastic to join a pair of former prep teammates as she begins her collegiate career at Northeast Mississippi Community College. Gates became the newest member of the Tiger softball program after signing her National Letter of Intent (NLI) with the seven-time Mississippi Association of Community and Junior Colleges (MACJC) North […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
HOUSTON – Just like the game they cheer for, these ladies say that without a passion for the sport you will never make it as a cheerleader. Houston cheerleaders hosted their annual mini-camp for future cheerleaders last week and talked a little about what it takes to grab a pom-pom, megaphone and run on the […]
HOUSTON – Two local student athletes made a trip to Atlanta, Ga., recently for the World Wood Bat National Championship and they were in good company. Houston’s Luke Hancock and Tanner Smith joined over 3,500 players from 184 teams in the pool-play tournament. The boys play with the P360 Elite 15U team based out of […]
VARDAMAN – When coaches start meeting with players in the fall, football can’t be far behind. The Mississippi High School Activities Association has strict rules about how many times, when and where coaches can meet with prospective players, so the first organizational meeting is critical to get everyone on the same page. “I’ve been starting […]
HOULKA – The Wildcat Football Booster Club wants a field of their own and say a lot proposed for a new football field just north of town will fit their needs. Patty Moss, Wildcat Booster Club President, said they have measured the lot west of Collums Furniture and north of the city baseball field and […]
This newspaper has repeatedly said one of the things Houston does best is Solar Car. The Houston Solar Car team heads to Fort Worth, Texas today and will race the roundtrack at Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth for a couple of days before they hit Texas highways for a road race to Austin. And […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal HOOVER, Ala. – For Chris Jones, a bumpy recruiting road stabilized rather quickly once it ended in Starkville. Maybe the country’s hottest topic leading up to Mississippi State’s 2013 recruiting class, Jones emphatically put all the drama behind him as soon as the first collegiate ball of his career kicked […]
SENATOBIA – Brennan Pugh will continue his baseball career after Northwest, with the sophomore second baseman from Houston signing to play for the Williams Baptist College Eagles next season. Pugh, the son of Calhoun County natives Lee and Millette Nabors of Houston, is the 12th Ranger to sign or commit to a four-year school from […]
HOUSTON – The Southaven Lady Tigers have been busy in June playing at a high level in their summer travel ball league These ladies played every weekend in the month of June. On June 7 and 8 they played four games in Tupelo that were shortened because of the rain on Saturday night. They finished […]
HOUSTON – The Houston Angels All-Star team hosted a warm up tournament for teams getting set to head to State playoffs and hopefully earn a berth in the World Series. The Angels hosted the June 21 event as a fund raiser to assist them in their own quest for more Dizzy Dean action and they […]
Ezra Blissard of Houston capped a successful 2014 season on the tennis court, finishing up as the runner-up at State in 4A boy’s singles. Going into the summer, he is still collecting awards, having been named to the All State tennis team. The 16-year-old rising junior at Houston High School finished up the season at […]
The newly released 2013-14 MACJC Academic All-State Team includes 30 Northwest Mississippi Community College student-athletes, good enough for third-best in the league among 15 member schools. Northwest’s academic all-state selections have increased the past four years from 17 to 19 to 26 to 30. To qualify, a student-athlete must maintain a minimum grade-point average of […]
The Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks and the Mississippi Wildlife Federation will host a Family Fish Camp at Tombigbee State Park near Tupelo on August 1-2. Times for the camp are 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Friday and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday. The camp is open to youth ages […]
Many people equate summer to road trips to the beach and lazy, hazy days with nothing to do. But for Chickasaw County 4-H members, it’s one of the busiest times of the year. When school gets out, club members who participate in horse-related events are especially busy. “During the summer we have the District Horse […]
- City seeks infrastructure funding July 21, 2014
- Sales tax holiday starts after midnight July 24, 2014
- UPDATE: Nineteen arrested in Itawamba drug sting July 25, 2014
- Houston Solar Car team wins 14th Solar Challenge July 25, 2014
- Let’s hear it for EARS! July 25, 2014
- This story has a ring to it July 28, 2014
- Cherry/Dendy July 27, 2014
- Horn/Jones July 27, 2014
- Fire Academy July 27, 2014
- BILLY McCORD: As I see it July 26, 2014
- Pat Southerland: It is interesting to see that Mrs. Dendy is resign...
- Michael Mcalpin: So glad to have this service back locally....
- Pat Burgess: Congratulations to Jim for the award and for all t...
- Chip Ingram: My son Daniel was given a Bobbie Gentry album by ...
- Pam Dendy: I have that first album. My Daddy bought it for me...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago