PHEBA – Hebron Christian welcomed their district foe and undefeated Central Academy Vikings to Homecoming Friday night named their queen and claimed the victory. Miss Hali Whitt was crowned Homecoming Queen and the Eagles took the field with Landon Hill taking the opening kickoff 75 yards for the touchdown. A Collin Moore run for the […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
HOUSTON – The Hilltoppers put together four quarters of football and walked out of the stadium winners as they downed Leake Central, 23-20 in a key district matchup Friday night. Houston running back Brandon Townsend went over 1,000-yards on the year, place kicker Wes Parker kicked a 34-yard field goal and defense repeatedly rose to […]
AMORY – It takes the best to beat the best and the Lady Hilltoppers were stopped in the second round of the MHSSA softball playoffs by the Lady Panthers, but only after three games Saturday afternoon. The Hilltoppers had downed Kosciusko in two games Thursday and bounced right back for Saturday contest. They lost the […]
JACKSON – The Tennis Foundation of Mississippi has announce that Marvin “Marty” Pearson of Oxford is the 2014 inductee into the Mississippi Tennis Hall of Fame. Marty has long been associated with tennis in the state and through his play, support, and instruction has left an unmistakable imprint on Mississippi tennis. Marty’s tennis career began in Houston, […]
Briona Gordillo, center, was named Houston High School 2014 Homecoming Queen at Halftime of Friday’s football game at Topper Field. Shown with Gordillo are 2013 Houston Homecoming Queen Michelle Vazquez, left, and escort Samuel Gordillo.
The Magnolia football madness continues. For the first time, Mississippi State holds the top ranking in college football. The Bulldogs (6-0) took over the No. 1 ranking in both the Associated Press media and the USA Today coaches’ polls on Sunday afternoon, overtaking defending national champion Florida State (6-0). Ole Miss (6-0) is No. 3 […]
HOUSTON – The band played and the homecoming queen was crowned but the Hilltoppers could not top a strong Kosciusko team Friday night. Houston (3-5, 0-2) unveiled a passing game and tried to back it up with the run. Koscuisko (6-2, 1-1) used a good mix of passing and rushing to grab a 21-0 halftime […]
HOUSTON – It grows a little bigger and a little better every year. The New Century Club hosted its bi-annual Pink Ribbon 5K at the Houston Fall Flywheel Festival recently with good times recorded by a large field of runners. “It’s a lot of fun and its for a great cause,” said Pink Ribbon Run […]
AREA SCORES Thursday Southaven 17, Tupelo 7 Oxford 49, Lewisburg 26 Friday Aberdeen 40, Kemper Co. 36 Amory 36, Pontotoc 0 Baldwyn 57, Hatley 0 Calhoun City 44, E. Webster 18 Cent. Aca. 42, Calhoun Aca. 28 Clarksdale 20, Saltillo 15 Coffeeville 33, Smithville 0 Coldwater 64, Vardaman 7 Corinth 62, Tishomingo Co. 14 Europa […]
Houston football coach William Cook introduces the Hilltopper football team during the Houston Tailgate Party on the Courthouse Square in Downtown Houston Thursday afternoon. The Hilltopper take on Koscuisko for homecoming at 7 p.m. Friday with the Homecoming Queen crowned at halftime. Photos of Thursday’s Tailgate Party can be found by clicking the BUY PHOTO […]
CALEDONIA – Houston stumbled to open its second season losing its first district game to the Caledonia Confederates Friday night. The game was close and just like the previous weekend at Eupora a high-scoring fourth quarter saw the Hilltoppers come up a little short. Houston (3-4, 0-1) and Caledonia (4-3, 1-0) played a classic ground […]
AREA SCORES Friday Aberdeen 41, Nettleton 0 Baldwyn 45, Mantachie 14 Biggersville 20, Vardaman 14 Booneville 55, Alcorn Central 6 Briarfield, La. 52, Calhoun Aca. 36 Caledonia 28, Houston 27 Calhoun City 56, Bruce 15 Corinth 49, Pontotoc 14 E. Webster 31, Okolona 22 Falkner 19, Thrasher 12 Grenada 14, Tupelo 11 Hamilton 46, Houlka […]
HOUSTON – The Houston High School cross country team recently ran in two Northeast Mississippi events with local trekkers posting solid times and taking home honors for the Hilltoppers. “The weather has gotten cooler and we should see times pickup,” said Patricia Ellison, Houston High School cross country coach. “I also want to point out […]
EUPORA – It as a fight to the death and Houston did not give up until the bitter end. Houston fell to Eupora, 36-28, in a hard-fought contest that saw the Hilltoppers battle back at the end, but it was not enough as the Eagles used the big play to seal the game Friday night […]
- Pearson to be honored by state October 22, 2014
- Futral hired as Houston City Clerk October 21, 2014
- Houston investigates racial slur October 24, 2014
- FLOYD INGRAM: Sticks and stones . . . October 24, 2014
- Hebron downs Central Academy, 38-6 October 24, 2014
- STEVE COKER: The Wisdom of Potatoes October 25, 2014
- Life Chain hosts annual event October 25, 2014
- Field day planned for forages, beef October 24, 2014
- Crash ruptures gas line, blocks traffic on Hwy. 8 October 24, 2014
- Hebron downs Central Academy, 38-6 October 24, 2014
- Erma Byars: Congratulations Marty for all your achievements. ...
- Candace: Good decision!...
- Sad for Our Kids: Bravo! You've done your job as an advocate for a...
- Tammy Pettit: I get that you and I know several others are upset...
- Lolette: Well since most people work during the week dont y...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago