Thursday East Union vs. Houlka (at Okolona) Friday Aberdeen at Shannon Amory at Independence Baldwyn at Nettleton Benton County at H.W. Byers Biggersville at Alcorn Central Bruce at North Pontotoc Coffeeville at Calhoun City East Oktibbeha at Okolona East Webster at Vardaman Ethel at Mantachie Grenada Kirk at Marshall Academy Grenada at West Point Hamilton […]
Archive | Sports RSS feed for this section
Sports News from the Monroe County Journal | North Mississippi
WEST LOWNDES – They weren’t perfect but the Houston Hilltopper hit hard and did what they had to do to take a 9-8, pre-season win Friday afternoon. The Hilltoppers showed they can do a variety of things as they ran, passed and even kicked a field goal to win their two-quarter contest with Bessemer Academy, […]
ENON – Hunters wanting to hone their skills just before dove season are being urged to attend the Enon Skeet Shoot hosted by the Enon Hunting Club this coming weekend. The event will see participants shoot five shots from five stations from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at the range east of […]
WALNUT RIDGE, Ark. – Brennan Pugh of Houston, has been awarded an Academic Excellence Scholarship to attend Williams Baptist College. The scholarship is awarded to students transferring to WBC from other institutions, based on their academic achievements. Pugh is a graduate of Houston High School. He is the son of Lee and Millette Nabors of […]
New Site has spent a lot of money to make all those Jackson trips to the MHSAA state girls basketball tournament. From 2008 to 2013, the Lady Royals went to five straight. That’s a total of nine trips – 10 if you count a coaches scouting trip. Keep track even further and it’s “around 12” […]
BOONEVILLE – Northeast Mississippi Community College’s women’s hoops program concluded another successful summer with its annual Lady Tiger Basketball Camp for future hard-court star being held June 25-27 at legendary Bonner Arnold Coliseum. The three-day event was open to any girl in the fifth through eighth grades. Several experienced area coaches aided Northeast head coach […]
HOUSTON – It’s a hard, rough game that requires protection and padding. The Houston Hilltopper football team held their first practice in pads Friday night as part of the annual Midnight Madness celebration that saw the team blocking and tackling under the lights at Topper Field. The community showed up to watch the team run […]
BOX Aug. 28, 7 p.m. at Cophiah-Lincoln, Wesson. Sept. 6, 7 p.m. at Jones County, Ellisville. Sept. 11, 7 p.m. Holmes at Fulton. (Military Night) Sept. 20, 2 p.m. at Northwest Senatobia. Sept. 25, 7 p.m. East Mississippi at Fulton. Oct. 4, 1 p.m. Coahoma at Clarksdale. Oct. 9, 7 p.m. Northeast at Fulton. Oct. […]
HOUSTON – It’s just a pickup game of football but its also an indication that some in Houston are more serious about football than others. This summer, while most of us drank our morning coffee, athletes were gathering at Houston High School football field to stretch, run and play a friendly game of football with […]
HOUSTON – The community will get their first look at the 2014 edition of the Houston Hilltopper football team Friday night as this year’s squad hits the gridiron at the stroke of midnight. The Mississippi High School Athletic Association has strict rules for when teams can begin practice and Houston will play the game as […]
STARKVILLE – Mississippi State wanted a more challenging non-conference schedule in Rick Ray’s third season to reflect a finally full roster. The Bulldogs released their 13-game non-conference slate on Wednesday. It features eight home outings and another at Mississippi Coliseum in Jackson on Dec. 20 against South Carolina Upstate. MSU will welcome Western Carolina, Mississippi […]
JACKSON – Changes are coming to the scheduling and playoff formats in MACJC baseball. On Thursday, the league announced their new changes, which will go into effect in time for the 2015 baseball season. Each team in the state will have the opportunity to face each other once during the regular season, amounting to a […]
BOONEVILLE – Chelsea Gates is enthusiastic to join a pair of former prep teammates as she begins her collegiate career at Northeast Mississippi Community College. Gates became the newest member of the Tiger softball program after signing her National Letter of Intent (NLI) with the seven-time Mississippi Association of Community and Junior Colleges (MACJC) North […]
HOUSTON – Just like the game they cheer for, these ladies say that without a passion for the sport you will never make it as a cheerleader. Houston cheerleaders hosted their annual mini-camp for future cheerleaders last week and talked a little about what it takes to grab a pom-pom, megaphone and run on the […]
- City Clerk resumes reviewed August 18, 2014
- Color For A Cause seeks runners August 20, 2014
- City, CDF discuss Tanglefoot trailhead August 15, 2014
- Aldermen discuss street worker pay August 19, 2014
- Sweet potato field day planned for Aug. 20 August 19, 2014
- WEEK ONE: High school football schedules August 21, 2014
- Mobile Vet Center coming to Houston August 21, 2014
- Houston runs over Bessemer August 21, 2014
- BROWN: LETTER TO THE EDITOR August 21, 2014
- INGRAM: Paying the price at the pump August 21, 2014
- Carol Mac: I went to the Tupelo run, and I have some advice f...
- Candace R.: If that isn't nepotism, what is??? The solution ...
- Linda Huffman: Our home school policy is a joke. Some of these ch...
- Pat Southerland: It is interesting to see that Mrs. Dendy is resign...
- Michael Mcalpin: So glad to have this service back locally....
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 1 year ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 1 year ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 1 year ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 1 year ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 1 year ago