I felt like my insurance company wanted me out of healthcare when I received my new premium information for 2016. I paid over $1,600 a month for my wife and I to have medical insurance in 2015. Last fall I learned my current policy would increase to over $1,950 per month. I had the […]
Archive | Opinion RSS feed for this section
Opinion of the Monroe County Journal
Everybody wants the rules and regulations to be applied equally, until it comes to their money and their family. The Houston Board of Mayor and Aldermen has seen this happen for years with people unhappy with a monthly water bill. Last year the city was approached by a customer wanting the city to reduce their […]
Gave up on sleep about 1:30 this morning and retired to my version of a Man Cave – an out-building equipped with computer, 50 years’ collection of books, memorabilia and a DVD player. Not being of a mood to engage in heavy thinking, I chose a “Trains Magazine” DVD production on coal trains of the […]
A long look at Chickasaw County shows we have several good things going on around here that we hope will bear much fruit in the coming year. The city’s effort to develop infrastructure, Tanglefoot Trail, rising sales taxes and falling unemployment are just a few of the headlines we saw last month. So let’s take […]
The good newspaper should be a catalyst in its community, oiling the efforts of widely varying groups to achieve a reasonably smooth, balanced flow of progress. It seeks to provide coherence to scattered and sometimes conflicting objectives, enabling its community to get a better view of priorities and ways in which joint efforts may […]
This is the time of year when we take a look back at 2015 and at the same time look forward to 2016. It’s a bittersweet time of year for me. There have been weddings and funerals, cars bought and trucks crashed, profits and losses, good times and sad times. I try not to dwell […]
The following are PARCC Test Scores for area schools for Math and English 2015. The data was released in mid December by the Mississippi Department of Education. PARCC TEST SCORES – MATHMATICS GRADE 3 MATH School, 1 2 3 4 5 No. tested Aberdeen 12.9 42.6 25.7 17.8 1.0 101 Amory 4.4 20.6 […]
Everybody is for progress, but no one wants to change. But things in this world don’t change unless someone gets out of their comfort zone and goes about the hard work of making a difference in the world. It is so easy and comfortable to accept things as they are and not make the effort […]
Dear Editor, Recently, I read an article about a disgruntled waiter/server and thought it was a great share that could be applied to many aspects of life. Thus, being a teacher, I choose to apply my thoughts toward education and educating our students. Tidbits of the article compelled me to reflect upon our very own Mission […]
This Christmas, as you hustle and bustle about the house and community, we want you to reflect on a news event that happened over 2,000 years ago. There is a phrase on the front of this newspaper that states “A locally owned newspaper dedicated to the service of God and mankind.” We take those words […]
I have had the opportunity to live in several different communities and it is always neat to see how a neighborhood or town celebrates Christmas. The holidays are all about tradition and often locals don’t see those time-honored events for what they really mean to the community. Houston is no different. I repeatedly hear […]
Pleasing Mother was my goal in life. She wanted me to play basketball, so I suffered six years of basketball. She wanted me to go to college – no passion of mine, but I wanted to please, so I entered college in 1965 – the first in my family to do so. My high […]
As most of us ponder what we will get or give for Christmas, we would like to ask our readers to step back and think about those doing without this holiday season. There are many who have been hit hard by the recent economic downturn. There are always many who have been given a bad […]
- Houston to craft no-smoking ordinance May 17, 2016
- HLES Performs Nursery Rhymes and Possibilities May 22, 2016
- Toppers commit four errors in loss May 22, 2016
- Rob Marion scholarship established May 22, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago